As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am not a number; I'm a free man! [The Prisoner]

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This Sunday, November 15, AMC will premiere the new miniseries for the remake of The Prisoner. It stars Jim Caviezel as Number 6 and Ian McKellen as Number 2. It is a six episode miniseries that will run two episodes per night through Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8VZs7aLJCo

For those not in the know, The Prisoner was a 17-episode UK series broadcast in 1967 and 1968 which was implied to be a sequel to Danger Man/Secret Agent. It starred Patrick McGoohan as an unnamed secret agent who quits his job out of nowhere for unknown reasons, and is subsequently kidnapped by an unknown party and taken to a secluded location called The Village, where he is given the number 6. In each episode, Number 2 (who is a different person in each episode) hatches a plan to get Number 6 to give them what they want: Information. More specifically, why did he quit his job as a secret agent? In turn, Number 6 tries not only to escape from the Village, but also tries to discover the identity of Number 1.

The series was very noted for being a very surrealist television, the kind of television that probably wouldn't even be given a second look by network executives today. It has something of cult following and iconic status, and has been parodied numerous times, from the time when Homer Simpson was kidnapped and taken to the Island, to the final episode of Pinky & the Brain which a significant segment of it was directly based on The Prisoner. The Number 6 Cylon in the new Battlestar Galactica was named in homage of Patrick McGoohan's character on The Prisoner.

I'm a huge fan of the original series, and I'm hoping that the new series does justice to its legacy. While it stars Ian McKellen, which is obviously a huge plus, I'm also concerned over how, as I said, a show like the original would never have been greenlit today, so I'm worried over what they're going to change. At least in the trailer, they have kept Rover, and it looks like they haven't changed Rover and are doing it old school. Crossing my fingers...

EDIT: Thanks to Raiden333 for pointing out that the entire original series available on the web for free. http://www.amctv.com/videos/the-prisoner-1960s-video/

Dalboz on

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, Jesus and Gandalf. I might have to watch this.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The remake was just reviewed in Entertainment Weekly
    It was not given a favorable review, which is a damn shame
    I'm still watching the original series, and I'm loving it

Antimatter on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haha, they used the Uncharted El Dorado Megamix in the second part of the trailer.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If they don't have the Iron Maiden song in there somewhere I boycott it.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am really looking forward to seeing this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

what were their complaints?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

moniker on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    From what I've read, I'm just going to rewatch the original and pretend it's the new series.

Possibly my favorite TV series of all time.

Edit: OP should have a link to The old series on the net for free.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Additionally, if you have comcast on demand AMC has also put all of the original series up on there.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I didn't know they were doing this but what with the modern fetish for remaking anything that was ever remotely popular it really did feel inevitable. I'm not going to watch it mostly because I'd like some new ideas now please.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    From what I've read, I'm just going to rewatch the original and pretend it's the new series.

Possibly my favorite TV series of all time.

Edit: OP should have a link to The old series on the net for free.

Gentleman/scholar, etc.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

There really ISNT enough lime in this world

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm super excited, but I'm also 97% certain I will forget to watch it because I suck at watching TV.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    So is the original surreal in a good way, or in a Twin Peaks way where nothing makes any sense and you're just supposed to wank off to the quirkiness of it all?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not David Lynch surreal. It's more just late 60s British surreal.

Chanus on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So is the original surreal in a good way, or in a Twin Peaks way where nothing makes any sense and you're just supposed to wank off to the quirkiness of it all?

It's mostly in a way that makes sense and ties together a very delicately spun web of mystery, intrigue, and surrealism. The final episode does get extremely weird and surreal, to the point where a lot of people didn't really understand it, and what actually happened at the end is still being debated 40 years later. Most agree, though, that it was still very artfully done.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was really looking forward to this, but every single review I've seen thus far has been negative. They've pretty much unanimously declared it AMC's first real miss with original dramatic programming, and a majority seemed to recommend not watching it at all.

Ketar on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

the director repeatedly said he calculated the plot to piss off as many people as possible

so take that however you like!

Rust on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, I really liked the originally intended ending. Sure made a lot more sense:
    In George Markstein's mind, a young Number Six had once submitted a proposal for how to deal with retired secret agents who posed a security risk. Six's idea was to create a comfortable retirement centre where former agents could live out their final years, enduring firm but unintrusive surveillance.

Years later, Six discovered that his idea had been put into practice, and not as a benign means of retirement, but as an interrogation centre and a prison camp. Outraged, Six staged his own resignation, knowing he would be brought to the Village. He hoped to learn everything he could of how his idea had been implemented, and find a way to destroy it. However, due to the range of nationalities and agents present in the Village, Six realised he was not sure whose Village he was in – the one brought about by his own people, or by the other side. Six's conception of the Village would have been the foundation of declaring him to be 'Number One.'

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

The Prisoner is about a guy trapped in a place that is deliberately too confusing to escape. Also they want to trick him into revealing some information?

I may be simplifying this too much.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, I really liked the originally intended ending. Sure made a lot more sense:
    In George Markstein's mind, a young Number Six had once submitted a proposal for how to deal with retired secret agents who posed a security risk. Six's idea was to create a comfortable retirement centre where former agents could live out their final years, enduring firm but unintrusive surveillance.

Years later, Six discovered that his idea had been put into practice, and not as a benign means of retirement, but as an interrogation centre and a prison camp. Outraged, Six staged his own resignation, knowing he would be brought to the Village. He hoped to learn everything he could of how his idea had been implemented, and find a way to destroy it. However, due to the range of nationalities and agents present in the Village, Six realised he was not sure whose Village he was in – the one brought about by his own people, or by the other side. Six's conception of the Village would have been the foundation of declaring him to be 'Number One.'

I also like how they originally came up with the premise for the show. Apparently, they were at the wrap party for Danger Man/Secret Agent, and some higher ups from British Intelligence were there, since they were fans of the show (or they may have been advisers or something; can't quite remember). Since they had just ended the show, Patrick McGoohan asked them what actually happens to agents when they retired. They responded with, "Oh, we take care of them." They later clarified that they meant that they basically make sure they have a home and some money to keep them comfortable to make sure they wouldn't feel the need to go sell secrets to foreign agencies. But that one statement stuck with McGoohan, and he used it as the basis to begin working on The Prisoner.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very much looking forward to watching the remake, but I know it's won't be as good as the original.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

I also like how they originally came up with the premise for the show. Apparently, they were at the wrap party for Danger Man/Secret Agent, and some higher ups from British Intelligence were there, since they were fans of the show (or they may have been advisers or something; can't quite remember). Since they had just ended the show, Patrick McGoohan asked them what actually happens to agents when they retired. They responded with, "Oh, we take care of them." They later clarified that they meant that they basically make sure they have a home and some money to keep them comfortable to make sure they wouldn't feel the need to go sell secrets to foreign agencies. But that one statement stuck with McGoohan, and he used it as the basis to begin working on The Prisoner.

This is a really cool idea. I'm going to be DVRing this tonight, but the reviews I've been seeing have been getting me down.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

what were their complaints?

It wasn't as surreal, and it was going after our current culture's obsession of self rather than a look at an oppressive society with bizarre gadgetry

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

This is a really cool idea. I'm going to be DVRing this tonight, but the reviews I've been seeing have been getting me down.

With a few exceptions, I've always found that doing the exact opposite of what a critic tells you leads to the best results.

moniker on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It depends on the critics, I guess, but if it's nigh universal?

The previews I'm seeing during the Matrix make it seem pretty decent, especially with McKellen and Caviezel leading the way.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It kinda seems like it's going to do one of those drawn-out rabbit hole series where everything is either a simulation or a dream. I'm thinking like Jacob's Ladder, Vanilla Sky or Brazil. That one shot of a building blowing up and below everything appears to a normal street in the normal world makes me think that they just gave away a large part of the plot. I dunno, never saw the original so that's just my first impression. I like the imagery though. Kinda reminds me of the guy who did The Cell and The Fall.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    It depends on the critics, I guess, but if it's nigh universal?

The previews I'm seeing during the Matrix make it seem pretty decent, especially with McKellen and Caviezel leading the way.

Especially when it's universal.

moniker on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So long as Rover is still a great big bubble, I'm in.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So the first episode was alright. It definitely wasn't terrible.
    Huge bubble exists!

Chanus on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like it too. Didn't ever watch the original, but this version seems to be pretty compelling.

Especially the bubble.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I haven't seen the proper episode yet, but judging by the trailer it doesn't look as good as the original. I'm no fun like that though.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I missed the bubble :(

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I missed the bubble :(
    It was at the very end of the first episode.

(I dunno if I should spoiler stuff, but I will)

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I haven't seen the proper episode yet, but judging by the trailer it doesn't look as good as the original. I'm no fun like that though.

So far, it's kinda just the same premise as the original. It's not really much like it at all.

It does kinda feel like the Truman Show at times... but I'm still liking it.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh hey there it is again

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oooh. The second episode was much better!

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hmm watching the start of the first half of episode 1 again,
    Is 93's jacket just a nod to the original series, or is there perhaps this isn't a remake as much as a continuation?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

They're exactly the same, but the newer one is cheaper and comes with better packaging. The older set is out of print now, so they must just have some leftover stock.

---

Ok, just watched the remake. The trailers made it look awful, and I had really low expectations. I thought the first episode was interesting if imperfect, but the second episode literally had me anchored (no pun intended).

I don't get how critics can trash this and yet give V a pass. V has almost every problem a TV show can have, and yet critics passed it off because the core concept is really neat. Meanwhile, the critics are trashing this simply because it's so different from the original, and because Caviezel isn't McGoohan (which I thought would be a problem, but his 6 is so different and yet so similar at the same time).

I've read that they were trying to give McGoohan a cameo, and I'm betting he would've been 93, but that was probably obvious to the rest of you as well.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to catch the next two nights of this, so I hope it goes up either on hulu or AMC's website.

HadjiQuest on