As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WTF?! Now they're announcing violent imagery ahead of time

13»

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Repub- you know what's best for you and should make your own decisions, and the government should not interfere with things that can be handled in the private sector because of unfair purchasing and regulation power.

Dems- we know what's best for you and are going to step in for your own good, and the government should get involved when needed because the private industry is out for profit and not for the common good.

You know, when stripping each party's ideology down to the bare basics, you could at least make an effort to present both sides fairly.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    You'd be hardpressed to find anyone on PA who would be OK with burning Pelosi dolls.

How is it any worse than burning Bush in effigy?

The tea partiers politics may be wrong, but that doesn't mean that they don't have first amendment rights.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    You'd be hardpressed to find anyone on PA who would be OK with burning Pelosi dolls.

The tea partiers politics may be wrong, but that doesn't mean that they don't have first amendment rights.

And where, exactly, did you see somebody in the thread saying they didn't have the right to do this?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Evander wrote: »

Who are you disagreeing with?

moniker on
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I may join them for the burning of Pelosi.

What an ineffectual ultra-partisan. I hate you, Nancy.

She got healthcare through. It's really Reid that's the useless one.

Yes, and what a wonderful job she did of effectively banning abortion.
    There's no way anything that even looks like Stupak-Pitts makes it through the Senate.
    I would not be so sure of that. It will probably be stripped out in conference regardless, though.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kanamit wrote: »

There's no way anything that even looks like Stupak-Pitts makes it through the Senate.
    I would not be so sure of that. It will probably be stripped out in conference regardless, though.
    There are too many Dem Senators that are still in the party purely because they're a Pro-Choice vote.

Baucus jumps to mind, as does the newly minted Specter. Baucus specifically is quick to remind anyone who badmouths him that he's a pro-choice vote from Montana. Those people, combined with the progressive caucus, aren't going to let that get through. I just can't see it happening.

Not that it should have gotten through the House, either.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    We aren't talking about 'the right situations' here, we're talking about H.R. 3962.

You aren't supposed to be doing either one in this thread.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

That's not an overreaction at all.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what's there to discuss here. You'd be hardpressed to find anyone on PA who would be OK with burning Pelosi dolls.

The only vaguely viable answer would be along the lines of "it's just an effigy, we would *NEVER* violently murder that bitch"

Im fine with burning Pelosi dolls, but to be fair if I was going to lead an angry mob to violently murder people in DC she is not the top of the list.

I'm not, but it has nothing to do with speech or violence implications. I just find it trite and disrespectful of fire.

It seems like a waste of time. If you really want to pique interest, you'd fill the effigy with candy and have people smack it with baseball bats until the candy came out. Of course, that's probably too non-white for the folks who'll be at the rally.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Meh... protesting is generally filled with morons regardless if the left or right is doing it. There was a Free Mumia protest that some folks were recruiting for in a political science class i took in college, and their argument to get people to come out was "basically he is innocent". about 20 people signed up... Seriously, if I am going to march for some dude in a city 2 hours away, "basically he is innocent" isn't going to cut it for me.

tl;dr 90% Protesters (left or right) have no idea what they are really protesting.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "basically he is innocent" or "he is basically innocent" are two different things. One would mean I would be interested in finding out more.

Or do you always ignore someone if they give you the TLDR version first?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Meh... protesting is generally filled with morons regardless if the left or right is doing it. There was a Free Mumia protest that some folks were recruiting for in a political science class i took in college, and their argument to get people to come out was "basically he is innocent". about 20 people signed up... Seriously, if I am going to march for some dude in a city 2 hours away, "basically he is innocent" isn't going to cut it for me.

tl;dr 90% Protesters (left or right) have no idea what they are really protesting.
    Yeah, Mumia's about 7 kinds of guilty.

He's just also a victim of the Philly police force's ability to convict whoever they want on whatever they want, regardless of evidence.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

He's just also a victim of the Philly police force's ability to convict whoever they want on whatever they want, regardless of evidence.

which is what i found online after class. He was a favorite topic for ucsc protesters and i seriously can't figure out why he was picked to be the "political prisoner" poster boy.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

which is what i found online after class. He was a favorite topic for ucsc protesters and i seriously can't figure out why he was picked to be the "political prisoner" poster boy.
    He got fucked 7 ways from Sunday by the system, basically. He legally deserves a new trial, but he's guilty as hell so it's unlikely to do him any good.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "We've been getting a lot of flack about this," Danville TEA Party chairman Nigel Coleman told the Lynchburg News & Advance, "about burning those two in effigy and a lot of people in the public are unhappy about it. The story has gotten so large, it's kinda strange."
    Really, Coleman? Really? /SNL

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11/tea-party-group-getting-cold-feet-about-burning-perriello-and-pelosi-in-effigy.php?ref=fpb

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bullio wrote: »
    "We've been getting a lot of flack about this," Danville TEA Party chairman Nigel Coleman told the Lynchburg News & Advance, "about burning those two in effigy and a lot of people in the public are unhappy about it. The story has gotten so large, it's kinda strange."

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11/tea-party-group-getting-cold-feet-about-burning-perriello-and-pelosi-in-effigy.php?ref=fpb

Really?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dont they do this while talking about "death to america the great satan" ?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does this really count as protected free speech? It seems more like a death threat, to me. They wouldn't be allowed to make a public speech saying "I intend to burn these people alive".

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Its an expression of a sentiment, not a rehearsal for an act.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saying "Boy, I sure hope someone shoots that damn darkie in the White House!" counts as a death threat to the Secret Service even though the statement doesn't necessarily mean you're planning to do anything.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Burning people in effigy doesn't typically mean you literally want to burn them alive. It's a political statement using stark and shocking imagery.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Bullio wrote: »

Really?

It's just north of N****rtown on the Die Darkies Die Expressway.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Does this really count as protected free speech? It seems more like a death threat, to me. They wouldn't be allowed to make a public speech saying "I intend to burn these people alive".
    Burning in effigy is a pretty well-known statement of dislike, but I don't think it's considered as a threat by most people.

Someone arrested for such a burning would have very strong 1st Amendment defenses.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Everybody do the 1st amendment dance. :whistle:

"We'll burn an effigy!"
    "OK. Perfectly legal expression of free speech."
    "But... but... you're supposed to be outraged!"

I get the impression that they're really desperate for some sort of martyrship to vindicate themselves by proving that Obama's Out To Get Them.

Put it that way, and it kind of reminds me of Mister Garrison on South Park, always proclaiming loudly that whatever burly men are nearby shouldn't visciously have their way with him.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, they're packing it up.
    “It was a mistake not to see beforehand that this would be controversial,” he allowed. “The general public didn’t exactly understand what we were going after.”

Penchant for understatement noted.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Burning in effigy is a pretty well-known statement of dislike, but I don't think it's considered as a threat by most people.

Someone arrested for such a burning would have very strong 1st Amendment defenses.

Hell, it's a bloody national holiday in England.

moniker on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    “It was a mistake not to see beforehand that this would be controversial,” he allowed. “The general public didn’t exactly understand what we were going after.”

I'm rather shocked that people flipped out to begin with. Burning in effigy is a national past time it would seem. I mean hell, for all the up roar you'd think they were going to tar and feather someone.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I'm rather shocked that people flipped out to begin with. Burning in effigy is a national past time it would seem. I mean hell, for all the up roar you'd think they were going to tar and feather someone.

Not really. Fire tends to be kept away from protests anymore, thankfully, since it just doesn't really do anything but make you look like an idiot. Whether you're burning a flag, a bra, or someone you don't like. Even the most ridiculous of the anti-Bush protests pretty much just stuck to the Hitler camp.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Not really. Fire tends to be kept away from protests anymore, thankfully, since it just doesn't really do anything but make you look like an idiot. Whether you're burning a flag, a bra, or someone you don't like. Even the most ridiculous of the anti-Bush protests pretty much just stuck to the Hitler camp.

I still don't see why a good old effigy burning causes the freak outs.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Anachronism?

moniker on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

The president is already tarred. Why do you think they're so angry?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I think not. The Germans, despite their many serious character flaws, did have one thing that Bush detractors lacked... style.
    Lichtdom.jpg

Sure, they committed hate crimes like they were going out of fashion and put millions to death, but... you have to admit, Speer did have a flair for drama.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Association with crazy radicals?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

The president is already tarred. Why do you think they're so angry?

well fucking played :lol:

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Regardless of whether or not people should be offended and outraged, I'm shocked that anybody could not know this was going to happen.

Which is why I'm pretty sure this was planned all along. Publicity and news coverage++

ElJeffe on