As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Family Affair!

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wife-swap-martinson-family.jpg

?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah that looks like them

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Famous.

Liiya on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is that the raw fooder family?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh man this thread is making me alternately happy and sad

on one hand I have a fantastic and gigantic Irish Catholic/Scandinavian Protestant family (I'm the oldest of 35? cousins, I can never remember) and family Thanksgiving and Christmas is a huge ordeal and so much fun

on the other hand they are almost 800 miles away from me this holiday season and I miss them a lot

luckily I have some great friends (both in the area and coming from afar!) that are going to make it a good time regardless of whether I'm partying with the horde in Michigan or not

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    oh man this thread is making me alternately happy and sad

on one hand I have a fantastic and gigantic Irish Catholic/Scandinavian Protestant family (I'm the oldest of 35? cousins, I can never remember) and family Thanksgiving and Christmas is a huge ordeal and so much fun

on the other hand they are almost 800 miles away from me this holiday season and I miss them a lot

luckily I have some great friends (both in the area and coming from afar!) that are going to make it a good time regardless of whether I'm partying with the horde in Michigan or not

Let me know once you know when Dru's coming and we can get Holiday Pops tix or Nutcracker.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    'sagi where you at now????

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the poor kid in the middle sure got hit by the longest branch of the ugly tree

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    well

to be fair kid did the best with what he had to work with

also get teefs in here to look at this lawn

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    'sagi where you at now????

southeast corner of Connecticut

VoC: absolutement

Usagi on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My family is interesting.
    My immediate family is all educated and smart-like.
    My cousins are all fairly retarded, save for the adopted child
    One of my aunts is estranged and we never talk to her because she's ca-raazy
    My dad's cousin's kid, so I guess my second cousin, is 27 and I like hanging out with her lots.

Christmas is usually pretty boring around here, but since I get the pre-christmas blitz with a mfing crazy Catholic family it will be interesting..

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man the worst thing I have to put up with is my mom's weekend calls. They are so painful because my mom doesn't know how to carry on a conversation - all she does is ask questions on what's new. In the course of this week I went to work, did laundry, and played some video games. Really mom nothing happened. No mom I didn't do anything interesting. Really I didn't. I don't want to talk about my laundry. Ok yes, I also got groceries yesterday. Why do you want to know what I bought? I don't even care what I bought, why do you want to know? Yes mom I'm sorry, I know you're just trying to show interest in my life. Yes I know you miss me. Yes mom I'm careful driving. Yes... No... Yes...

Repeat EVERY WEEK.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man the worst thing I have to put up with is my mom's weekend calls. They are so painful because my mom doesn't know how to carry on a conversation - all she does is ask questions on what's new. In the course of this week I went to work, did laundry, and played some video games. Really mom nothing happened. No mom I didn't do anything interesting. Really I didn't. I don't want to talk about my laundry. Ok yes, I also got groceries yesterday. Why do you want to know what I bought? I don't even care what I bought, why do you want to know? Yes mom I'm sorry, I know you're just trying to show interest in my life. Yes I know you miss me. Yes mom I'm careful driving. Yes... No... Yes...

Repeat EVERY WEEK.

I have this same problem except in reverse

My mom will talk about doing the laundry, getting groceries, etc.

At least if she asked me I could invent some sort of horrific story

have you considered lying to your mother about the interesting things you do

Zoel on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    familyaffair.jpg

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2009
    my mom does that as well, but she lives five minutes away so the lack of things to talk about are extremely amplified.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You could always talk to your parents about current events.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tell her that you would like to talk more but you have to free your unborn child from Grenadan hostage takers by stealing the remains of Ronald Reagan and please can she lend you $500,000?

Zoel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My family is the best, sorry guys

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Never discuss religion and politics in polite company.

I had a great phone conversation with my mom where I told her I didn't believe in God. Some things can old by talked about when you are 2000 miles away and stuck in traffic.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You could always talk to your parents about current events.

I do that when I see them, since I generally dislike talking on the phone anyways.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The last time I went to dinner with my dad we had a good conversation about what to do if we were at the end of our life and being kept alive by absurd amounts of medicine while doctors drain whatever is left of our money.

This is basically what is happening to my grandfather right now and it sucks.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    The last time I went to dinner with my dad we had a good conversation about what to do if we were at the end of our life and being kept alive by absurd amounts of medicine while doctors drain whatever is left of our money.

This is basically what is happening to my grandfather right now and it sucks.

That's awful, I'm sorry. I had this conversation with my father after he had his surgery, luckily I didn't need to make decisions but I'm glad that I knew what he wanted. I have a living will that is very clear about my end of life care.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    these are my sisters!

9633_518426267668_22702199_30813182_4547459_n.jpg

they are prettier than I am

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    awwwww

Usagi on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    now I don't want to be rude

but one of those is not like the others

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WicketW.WarrickWicketW.Warrick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of your sister looks like a dude.

WicketW.Warrick on
    94970502bg8.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got back from spending the weekend at my parents' house

my mother and father are tremendously smart, hardworking and loving people
    my older sister is living at home while going to school and is the kind of person that never really stops being a hyper little kid
    my older brother is kind of a lot like I am except that he is also living at home in my parents' basement with his girlfriend and is also unemployed and not really looking for a job and I kind of don't have a lot of respect for him right now

also much of my family history is a complete mystery to me!
    I know both my parents went to university, and I know my father has a philosophy degree (ha!) and has worked in various banks for longer than I've been alive (hated it but did it because he wanted to provide a nice life for his kids)
    I have a half-sister from a previous marriage of my father's that I know nothing about and a niece I have met once

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My therapist has helped me to determine that my family is largely responsible for me being the nervous wreck of a human being I am today.

It's mainly my Mum's fault. I think she means well but goddamn can she be annoying. She is constantly reminding me how much better than me my older sibling are. At everything. Oh, and she also likes to tell me how fat I am.

My Dad is an okay guy, but he seems largely indifferent to me. We don't really have anything in common; and I'm pretty sure that he suspects I'm gay due to my lack of interest in appropriately manly things.

I love my family after a fashion, but they can be incredibly frustrating to live with.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

she is from Kazakhstan

we think she's a Turk

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never understood people that have these super close relationships with their parents. Mine are ok I guess. Growing up they were more like landlords that happen to live in the house I was renting.

Yes, I paid rent. Once I got a job in HS, I was expected to pay rent. Luckily for them, soon there-after I took over the mortgage. At which point they became the tenants and I became the landlord.

Regardless, I honestly don't "get" being all close to your parents. I don't understand why grown folk are so effected by the opinions of their parents. It's just so fundamentally different from my own experiences I have trouble wrapping my mind around it.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

she is from Kazakhstan

we think she's a Turk

Cute kid

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my dad is fantastic. artistic and punny, he is a complete explanation as to why i'm awesome, too.

my step-mom makes up for my lack of a mother, even though i didn't "inherit" her until i was 17, she makes an effort to be there for me the way that a mother should, most of the time.

my step-brother bryan has an illness that made him weak for most of his childhood, but despite that, he has grown up to be intelligent, a unicycler, and devoted to learning and teaching sign language.

my step-brother nick has a "tough guy" cover but will melt into a baby-talker as soon as there is any kind of animal around. he seems to know what he wants from life and i respect that.

my step-sister and i will likely never get along entirely, we're too different, but she's a special-ed teacher and i respect that as well.

i haven't seen my mother since 2001 and i don't wish to change that, though, she has me on facebook and only "pokes" me every few months. w/e!

my significant other still completely amazes me from time to time, in the way he makes me feel. he also amazes me when he yells at video games and scares me 10 feet into the air. regardless, he's okay, i guess.

david isn't family but i think of him as a nephew or something. well, maybe not nephew, maybe annoying cousin. yeah, more like a cousin. can't think of life without him, he keeps me alert.
    momandoldhouse.jpg
    here is where i grew up (a run-down old farm) and my mom and my cat.)

mully on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My family is pretty great overall I find. The only real issues are that my step grandmother died a few years back and while I didn't know her well I really wish I had, and that my oldest brother hasn't talked to my father in about 13 years. (My parents got divorced at this time, due to various reasons).

I'm very close to my older sister, and being the youngest in the family I was told a lot of stuff that I don't remember due to being so young, and she was the one to tell me nearly every time. We cried, laughed and overall enjoyed each others company and still do.

My other brother I love to death though. He has shown me a lot and helped me out a bunch over the years. He is in his second year at a culinary arts program, and when I'm done high school (in my last year now, whoo) I am tempted to follow him. He went through some rough years though, as he had some serious bowel issues, to the point of him having to repeat grade 12 because he missed 75%+ of his first year being sick at home.

My father I see from time to time, and over the years I have grown to love him more. My mother is great, and has always been there for me. My step parents are pretty awesome too, and while it was hard for them to become a parent to me (I was pretty shy as a kid and didn't like change much) they have done great and I enjoy them alot.

I only ever see my step siblings when they want something from their father, and its a pain in the ass for him to deal with. I feel pretty bad for him but he is truckin through it. I await the day for when he finally says "no" to them.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    my family is generally awesome, except
    they don't appear to believe in depression. when i have a bad day, they seem to take it as an attack on them. 'why are you so upset' they ask. when i don't have an answer for them, they get angry.

aside from that

my dad is wonderful, funny, smart, and awesome. he's responsible for my sense of humour and my fundamental skepticism and curiosity, as well as introducing me to monty python, red dwarf and books.

my mom is tremendously supportive, especially of my art and writing. when i wanted to change my major from computer science to english, she was the most outspoken in support of me. it's always been a boon. i suspect i get most of my artistic talent from her, as we've got a few of her paintings on the walls.

my brother is great. he's smart and talented. he's learning the clarinet and reading all my books and i couldn't be more proud.

they piss me off sometimes, but that's family. in the wider scheme of things i have absolutely nothing to complain about.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My dad recently found a blog by one of his former students that described him as a "scary genius." This is true. He has made grown men cry out of sheer intimidation. And yet with his family he's incredibly sweet and protective. He makes brilliant little doodles -- think Piet Hein, but better -- and he taught me to swing dance, and he has Mitteleuropan charm, and he loves me and my mom and my sister. He would stay home with me when I was sick and make us sardine sandwiches (which my mom hates but I love) and listen to Bach's Matthaus Passion (which my mom also hates and I love.) And, of course, I probably wouldn't be doing math without his inspiration.

My mom has had a pretty colorful life. Nurse's aide in Hicktown, Indiana, then conceptual artist and graphic designer in 80's NYC, a stint working with very, very early computer graphics, and then many years of dealing with the incompetent and eccentric world of academic publishing. Mom is fundamentally creative, in a way I've never seen in anyone else. Explain to her a problem -- even if she has no education at all on the subject -- and she'll give you a new idea. She's the only one in our family who can figure out how to fix household objects, also. Mom tried to give me a work ethic (not sure how well that's succeeded) but did give me an appreciation for books and ideas, and taught me to cook. I am basically mini-Mom; we look alike and we have almost the same personality.

My little sister (no longer little; turning 17) was my polar opposite growing up. She almost died the night she was born and ever since she's been a survivor -- which means she's louder, tougher, and more dramatic than me. We fought all the time when we were kids. But at the end of the day, she knows me better than anyone (including the unflattering stuff). She's the only one who gets my old movie references. She takes fantastic photographs, talks like a Chandler dame, takes to physics like a fish to water, and is very good at wearing hats.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love my family a ton.

I find I'm a combination of the best qualities in both my parents. From my dad, I've certainly adopted his attitude towards things, just letting stuff happen and not letting things get me incredibly stressed out. He's a very relaxed and chilled dude, and I definitely took that from him. My mom says I remind her of him a lot. We both end up sitting at the dinner table staring out the window at nothing, and she says its freaky how much we look like each other when we do it. I've also found we have the same sense of humour in some situations, and we both do a pretty good job of picking on my mom :D

As for my mom, I've learned a ton this last little while through some personal struggles how supportive she can be. Same goes for my dad actually. Me and her actually have the same sick sense of humour. And I've found that my tendency to not be afraid to make a joke about something that might get me in trouble is directly from her same tendency. Seriously, the shit I say sometimes, people are just like "I can't believe you said that." But in a good way. And I get that from her. The things she says... I get it from her. Also she is not subtle at all when it comes to talking about sexuality, and I definitely think I get that from her as well. I love 'em both to death, and I see myself in them a lot. Or is it supposed to be the other way around?

My two brothers are pretty awesome. My youngest bro, five years younger then me, and I are incredibly tight, and I'm not looking forward to moving out and not having him around to bullshit with. He's taking after me in terms of music and interests in some respects. He and I talk about music all the time, it's sweet. Both guitar players. Good kid, I'm looking forward to how he grows up these next few years (grade nine right now).

My other brother, I'm not quite as tight with, but we're still brothers, and we get along fine. He's more the brother I talk about video games with. He has a mental disability, asperger's syndrome, which makes it a little tough to connect with him sometimes. But I like him anyway.

Yup, couldn't ask for much more.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    these are my sisters!

9633_518426267668_22702199_30813182_4547459_n.jpg

they are prettier than I am

This is the most adorable thing I'll see all week.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Monroe's oldest sister is probably the same age as me

That's kind of weird

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Monroe's oldest sister is probably the same age as me

That's kind of weird

are you calling dibs?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i couldn't help but overhear ya'll dudes talkin about dads

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
This discussion has been closed.