As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games of the 21st Winter Olympiad: Day 4

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diXUz0DrGG0&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPI4qYceKJg&feature=related
Yes, it's time once again for the Olympics, or more specifically and officially, the Games of the 21st Winter Olympiad. Well, in three months as of this writing, but far as I'm concerned, close enough to get this started. The 2010 edition is in Vancouver, Canada; some events will be held at nearby Whistler, famous for being the place where many world-class athletes go to get totally stoned.

This is Canada's second Winter Games; the first were in Calgary in 1988. They also held the Montreal Summer Games in 1976. Neither did too well. Better luck this time, Canada. Vancouver won these Games in a three-way vote, seeing Salzburg, Austria out in 3rd place, and beating PyeongChang, South Korea by three votes, 56-53, and only then after taking pretty much all of the Salzburg voters.

NATIONS ANTICIPATED: 83. The Cayman Islands, Colombia, Ghana, Montenegro, Pakistan, Peru and Serbia will be making their debut at the Winter Games. Tonga attempted to qualify a luge competitor, but he crashed in qualifying. Luxembourg qualified two athletes, but one did not meet national standards and the other was injured; they will sit out Vancouver as well.
ATHLETES ANTICIPATED: 5,500+.
EVENTS: 86 in 15 disciplines. Women's ski jumping did not earn a place in the Games; a grievance was filed but rejected by the Supreme Court of British Columbia, and an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada was denied.

OPENING CEREMONY: February 12.
CLOSING CEREMONY: February 28. Both will be at BC Place Stadium.

ABOUT BC PLACE STADIUM: The roof deflated in 2007. Have fun with that.

FOR TICKETS: Kill someone who has some.

OPPOSITION TO THE GAMES: Will be safely off-camera as usual. Probably some poor people got evicted from somewhere they wanted to put a stadium at some point.

COVERAGE OF THE GAMES: Infuriatingly jingoistic as always, with periods of sustained fluff predicted for the American mainland.

THE HIPPY-DIPPY STUFF:

Motto: "With glowing hearts". Oh, wait, this is Canada. Sorry. "With glowing hearts/Des plus brilliants exploits".

300px-Vancouver_2010_logo.svg.png

Logo's name: Yes, they named the logo. Its name spelled out is Ilanaaq the Inunnguaq. (Ilanaaq is the Inuktitut word for friend.) Its name in phonetic form is Glaghgraghnghagghh.

V2010m.jpg

The mascots: Less punchable than usual.

MEDAL COUNT THROUGH DAY 3:

1st: United States, 6 medals (1 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze)
2nd: Germany, 4 medals (1/3/0)
3rd: France, 3 medals (2/0/1)
4th: Canada, 3 medals (1/1/1)
5th: South Korea, 2 medals (1/1/0)
6th: Italy, 2 medals (0/0/2)
T-7th: Czech Republic, 1 medal (1/0/0)
T-7th: Netherlands, 1 medal (1/0/0)
T-7th: Slovakia, 1 medal (1/0/0)
T-7th: Switzerland, 1 medal (1/0/0)
T-11th: Australia, 1 medal (0/1/0)
T-11th: Norway, 1 medal (0/1/0)
T-11th: Poland, 1 medal (0/1/0)
T-14th: Austria, 1 medal (0/0/1)
T-14th: Croatia, 1 medal (0/0/1)
T-14th: Russia, 1 medal (0/0/1)

The Cauldron Lighting Repository

TIMELINE OF MAJOR EVENTS

Day 1: Luger Nodar Kumaritashvili of Georgia dies in a crash when he loses control, flies off his sled and collides with an unpadded steel pole at a reported 89.44 mph. The culmination of a series of crashes in training, the track is closed for investigation. The remainder of the Georgian team considers withdrawing, but decides to compete in Nodar's honor.
Day 1: Opening Ceremony, dedicated to Kumaritashvili. Wayne Gretzky is the final torchbearer. Two cauldrons were lit, one indoor, one outdoor (as Olympic protocol states the cauldron must be outside and visible from a distance). The indoor cauldron was to be lit by a group of four poles, lit by Gretzky, Steve Nash, Nancy Greene and Catriona Le May Doan, but Doan's pole did not function, and the cauldron was lit using the other three.
Day 2: The luge track is reopened, with the wall raised at the section where Kumaritashvili left the track. In addition, the men are moved down to the women's starting point.
Day 2: Men's downhill is postponed due to slushy conditions on the track.
Day 2: Ski jumper Simon Ammann of Switzerland is the first gold medalist of the Games, winning the men's normal hill individual. Adam Malysz of Poland wins silver. Gregor Schlierenzauer of Austria wins bronze.
Day 2: With the Dutch prime minister in attendance, speedskater Sven Kramer of the Netherlands wins gold in the 5000 meters, setting an Olympic record of 6:14.60, six hundredths of a second faster than the previous record set in Salt Lake City by Jochem Uytdehaage of the Netherlands. Lee-Seung Hoon of South Korea wins silver. Ivan Skobrev of Russia wins bronze.
Day 2: Biathlete Anastasia Kuzmina wins Slovakia's first winter gold in the women's sprint. Magdalener Neuer of Germany wins silver. Marie Dorin of France wins bronze.
Day 2: The Canadian women's hockey team sets an Olympic record for largest margin of victory, defeating Slovakia 18-0. Canada was also owner of the previous record, beating Italy 16-0 in Torino. Slovakia had previously defeated Bulgaria 82-0 in qualifying, a world record.
Day 2: The South Korean short-track speedskating team misses out on a podium sweep when Ho-Suk Lee and Si-Bak Sung collide and crash just short of the finish line. Sung comes in 5th; Lee is disqualified. Jung-Su Lee of South Korea wins gold. Apolo Anton Ohno of the United States wins silver. J.R. Celski of the United States wins bronze. Ohno, with his silver, ties Bonnie Blair as the most decorated American winter athlete with six medals.
Day 3: The Vancouver climate strikes again in the men's biathlon 10km sprint, raining heavily after the early starters had gone and sealing the fate of everyone else in the field. Vincent Jay of France wins gold. Emil Hegle Svendsen of Norway wins silver. Jakov Fav of Croatia wins bronze.
Day 3: The United States wins its first-ever medal in Nordic combined as Johnny Spillane wins silver in the individual normal hill/10 km. Alessandro Pittin of Italy wins bronze, Italy's first medal in Nordic combined as well. Jason Lamy Chappuis of France overtakes Spillane near the end of the race to win gold.
Day 3: Having paid $820 million to air the Olympics, NBC of the United States airs local news, USA airs a rerun of White Collar, MSNBC airs a true-crime docudrama, and CNBC airs a juicer infomercial simultaneously. Other NBC Universal networks such as Telemundo and Bravo, used in Beijing, are not in use for these Olympics.
Day 3: Figure skaters Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao of China kick off the pairs event by setting a world record in the short program, 76.66. They are not overtaken.
Day 3: The men's singles luge competition, marred by the death of Kumaritashvili, is won by Felix Loch of Germany. David Moeller of Germany wins silver. Armin Zoeggler of Italy, who had crashed himself during the same training session, wins bronze. Levan Gureshidze of Georgia, Kumaritashvili's teammate, withdraws prior to the first heat of the event.
Day 3: Overcoming what has proven to be a merciless, unforgiving moguls course, Canada wins a war of attrition to achieve its first-ever Olympic gold medal on home soil as freestyle skier Alexandre Bilodeau takes gold in the men's moguls competition. Dale Begg-Smith of Australia wins silver. Bryon Wilson of the United States wins bronze.
Day 4: Cross-country skier Dario Cologna wins Switzerland's first cross-country gold in the men's 15 km. Pierro Piller Cottrer of Italy wins silver. Lukas Bauer of the Czech Republic wins bronze.
Day 4: In response to public complaints, the IOC asks VANOC, the local organizing commitee, to remove or lower the fence separating the public from the outdoor Olympic cauldron. Previously, the fence was covered by blue and green bunting, blocking the view entirely, but a high chain-link fence still remains, creating poor photo opportunities for tourists.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is skeleton? Judging by the logo, it looks like a face-first version of luge. They should just get rid of the sleds altogether and have people go through bodies-only, like a waterslide. Face first, butt first, whatever.

I hope NBC has found some Winter equivalent of 2008's Bela Karolyi.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Interrupting hockey season. Stupid Olympics.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Why do they even bother with logos and mascots for every games? I only ever hear about them when people are deriding them.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Merchandising. Used to be they kept it to one punchable mascot per Olympics. Now it's as many as five punchable mascots per Olympics. And you can buy stuffed punchable mascots for the kiddies, punchable coffee mugs, punchable posters, and any other punchable thing you want.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    olympic hockey is pretty good though.

the guys really care.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I kind of liked China's punchable mascots.

Quid on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Miga is fantastic.

migadiscogifsig.gif

L|ama on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll admit my secret shame- I'm a sucker for the opening ceremonies at the Olympics (both winter and summer). It's fun to watch the athletes mugging for the camera in their team gear. And I have a soft spot for the cheesy opening dance/music/whatever routines. I've been hooked on that since the parade of chrome-plated pickup trucks at the Atlanta Olympics in '96.

And it'll be nice to see a well-run, non-controversial Olympics after the last few. I'm pretty sure the government of British Columbia won't be sending dissidents to gulags.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Canada should only be allowed one mascot, and they would be able to use it for anything they want.
    This guy
    Bonhomme1_MP_2002.jpg

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Canada should only be allowed one mascot, and they would be able to use it for anything they want.
    This guy
    Bonhomme1_MP_2002.jpg

Naw, that's not Canada's mascot, that's Quebec's mascot...oooooooohh.
    Just kidding Quebec, but not really
    You do have awesome poutine

Scotty on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a Canadian, let me say welcome to all the visitors coming to Vancouver. Also, please stay the fuck in BC and do not cross the mountains to the east of you.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I too am Canadian, and agree, stay in B.C. (It's just so nice there)

I used to live there, grew up there, but then my parents moved me to Ontario when I was 12. (I still haven't completely forgiven them)

Scotty on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Northern Ontario has some of the most pristine wilderness in the world. It's a great place to go camping and exploring.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    True as that may be, it's still not as good as where I used to live in B.C.

I miss waking up to those mountains man. :(

Scotty on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I just moved to Vancouver, too. I'm only about 5 blocks from BC Place.

Doc on
  • Options
    chris66chris66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking of sticking around when I am out there for Christmas. But i think the chances of me getting tickets to a Team Canada game pretty slim.

Hey a lot of Canadians here, eh? Anyone from Tsawwassen? I grew up out there and went to Vancouver College from grade 8 to 12.

chris66 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I really want to get some friends together, get tickets to some random country's curling prelims, and bring huge signs for one random guy on their team, preferably either a sweeper or the guy who stands at the end and doesn't do anything.

Doc on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have 4 tickets for 3 hockey games that I do not want to attend. The reason for this is because they opened up ticket sales before they announced the schedule, so I just guessed.

They are:

Tue Feb 16 12:00 to 14:30 - USA-SUI
    Thu Feb 18 12:00 to 14:30 - USA–NOR
    Sun Feb 21 12:00 to 14:30 - RUS-CZE

I want Team Canada tickets, dammit! Anyone wanna trade? Or buy these off of me?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    chris66chris66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    I have 4 tickets for 3 hockey games that I do not want to attend. The reason for this is because they opened up ticket sales before they announced the schedule, so I just guessed.

They are:

Tue Feb 16 12:00 to 14:30 - USA-SUI
    Thu Feb 18 12:00 to 14:30 - USA–NOR
    Sun Feb 21 12:00 to 14:30 - RUS-CZE

I want Team Canada tickets, dammit! Anyone wanna trade? Or buy these off of me?

The only game worth seeing out of those three is Russia vs the Czechs. USA - Norway / Switzerland? I'd rather watch paint dry.

chris66 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    I really want to get some friends together, get tickets to some random country's curling prelims, and bring huge signs for one random guy on their team, preferably either a sweeper or the guy who stands at the end and doesn't do anything.

I love this idea. It would be hysterical and make that one guy so freaking happy.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Funnily enough, if you brought the signs for "the guy who stands at the end" it wouldn't really be a random guy on their team, as that's usually the Skip, who is like Team Captain.

I'd say, make it for their Second, who will, easily enough, be throwing the second set of stones for their team. They spend most of the match sweeping and can often be over-looked when the Leads set up sweet guards or the Skip makes a nice last-minute draw to the button, etc.

I say do this! (They're usually not all that well-attended and I'm sure the teams will be confused but love it.)

[Edit]
    If the tickets aren't too pricey for those early games, I'd say you should do it a few times for different teams. It would be funny, and you're likely to get on the air if you're showy enough with the signs and randomly appear for multiple teams/games.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd say he should continue to support that one guy/team even at other matches. Then he will surely get on the news as a super-fan of a nobody.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd say he should continue to support that one guy/team even at other matches. Then he will surely get on the news as a super-fan of a nobody.

That's the other way to take it, yeah.

LaOs on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's the 2010 winter olympics.
    Where are the rocket skis and jet powered ice skating events?

see317 on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love this idea. It would be hysterical and make that one guy so freaking happy.
    JARI JURGOLASSENKLASKI WILL YOU MARRY ME?!

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

For the Turin/Torino games, I would keep the webstream for curling on late at night while I was trying to get some work done. Not a lot of people in the curling hall, early in the tournament. Go for it. And yeah, seconding the multiple-visits suggestion if financially and temporally possible.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not to sound like an uneducated douche though that might be hard to avoid with this... but how the hell do countries without any real winter season compete in any of these events?
    Are Bahamians ice skating in rinks, or are they just citizens living in other parts of the world?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not to sound like an uneducated douche though that might be hard to avoid with this... but how the hell do countries without any real winter season compete in any of these events?
    Athletes train abroad and I believe with some sports like cross-country skiing an athlete who excels in the marathon or long-distance running can make the transition fairly well. For example, Canada's Clara Hughes has won medals in cycling and speed skating, and the lower-body training is more or less the same for both sports.
    Are Bahamians ice skating in rinks, or are they just citizens living in other parts of the world?
    I think that might be part of it too (the living in another part of the world, excelling at a winter sport, and deciding to represent their home country).

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Like Andrew said, many train abroad.

Also, sometimes athletes from winter-countries who could also qualify as residents of nonwinter-countries compete for those warmer climates because there is less competition (or none!) for making the Olympic team. My roommate has a cousin who is snowboarding for the Bahamas or some other silly warm-weather country because it was easier than making the competitive Canadian team.

LaOs on
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Somebody has never seen the movie Cool Runnings.

Ebfan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    LaOs wrote: »

Also, sometimes athletes from winter-countries who could also qualify as residents of nonwinter-countries compete for those warmer climates because there is less competition (or none!) for making the Olympic team. My roommate has a cousin who is snowboarding for the Bahamas or some other silly warm-weather country because it was easier than making the competitive Canadian team.

That happens in the Summer Games too. Chris Kaman played basketball for Germany. He's from Michigan, but his grandfather was German.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think in Torino they profiled some substitute teacher from Philadelphia who competed for Thailand. He didn't do too well; it was a 'happy to be here' entry.

It's also pretty common among more established athletes who for whatever reason biffed in their local trials. They still want in the Games, so they start scouring their family tree and find some less-competitive country who they can compete for. Like if I were to try out for the American team but missed out, my family tree has enough Norwegian in it that I could go try out for the Norwegian team instead. (Which wouldn't be much easier, but there you go.)

Alternatively, athletes can just apply for citizenship in any country willing to send them. The oil-laden rich-as-fuck Arab countries love pulling this stunt.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

That happens in the Summer Games too. Chris Kaman played basketball for Germany. He's from Michigan, but his grandfather was German.

Yeah, I think it most likely happens whenever it possibly can.

LaOs on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Curling tickets start at $65. You would be better off going to a show or something. Cost you less money and you'd be supporting local talent and business.

Please don't buy into this shit.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    Curling tickets start at $65. You would be better off going to a show or something. Cost you less money and you'd be supporting local talent and business.

If he doesn't, someone else will. The Olympics aren't known for having a lot of empty seats.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »

If he doesn't, someone else will. The Olympics aren't known for having a lot of empty seats.

For $65, it's not worth it.

Doc on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a Canadian, let me say welcome to all the visitors coming to Vancouver. Also, please stay the fuck in BC and do not cross the mountains to the east of you.

Don't let the B.C. hippies fool you. Beyond the mountains lies redneck country, and we aren't afraid to shoot.
    :lol:

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Those mountains keep the hippies safe from our guns and non universal healthcare we tote around here in alberta as we drill oil and fill the air with pollution.

On the other hand, those mountains keep our pot growing cities like Nelson safe and producing and shipping the best Bud you can get. Damn our love hate relationship.

TonyTheLeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »

Don't let the B.C. hippies fool you. Beyond the mountains lies redneck country, and we aren't afraid to shoot.

If they're in the mountains and can shoot, they ought to be in the biathlon.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

If they're in the mountains and can shoot, they ought to be in the biathlon.

Are you calling them bisexual!? /redneck

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.