As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Drive Issue

EpiphanyEpiphany Registered User regular
My ps3 recently stopped reading discs, so looking around the web I thought I'd better clean the drive laser and then if that doesnt work I'll have to replace it. Cleaned the laser it worked for about half an hour then got really touch and go and wouldnt read at all. Got the replacement laser today, put it in, ps3 worked like a dream for an hour then abruptly stopped reading discs again and wont recognise any disc I put in it. Does anyone have any ideas what could have gone wrong and how I could fix it?

3DS Code- 4700-0094-6364
Epiphany on

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As with all DIY hardware fixes, any number of things could have gone wrong. This is why console manufacturers offer warranty. Even an out of warranty console Sony will fix for a fee. Now that you've opened it and fiddled with it, it's not likely they will.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EpiphanyEpiphany Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It was a launch model and I thought I'd have a go fixing myself since I did the same with my 360 and its been working perfectly for over a year after I repaired it. Turned out the laser I had gotten as a replacement was bad and broke almost instantly but the nice ebayer who sold me it is sending me a new one for free.

Epiphany on
    3DS Code- 4700-0094-6364
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wish you luck. As rare as BC ps3 modles are I would have deffinatly bit the 150 dollar bullet and sent it in. Realy hope that laser fixes things for you.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    Animeman59Animeman59 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wrong. Got myself a 60GB PS3 system and just recently the lens broke. Sony was going to charge me $150 for a fix.

At least, M$ doesn't charge anything to fix their broken system.

Fix the PS3 myself. Now it works fine.

Animeman59 on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Animeman59 wrote: »
    Wrong. Got myself a 60GB PS3 system and just recently the lens broke. Sony was going to charge me $150 for a fix.

At least, M$ doesn't charge anything to fix their broken system.

Fix the PS3 myself. Now it works fine.

MS most certainly does charge to repair the system. The RRoD is the only item covered by the 3 year, everything else is a 1 year warranty. I know a few people who had to cough up cash to get issues other than the RRoD repaired. Starting with the DRE errors that sometimes destroyed the game discs.

Dark Shroud on