As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Complete map collection in OP! (NSF56K)

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not complaining that it's hard. I'm complaining that it's easy. I am not getting beaten by knife players. I am saying that the ease with which I can get amazing scores using the knife is just child's play compared to doing well playing with a gun (which is how I imagine the game is primarily intended to be played.)

In a free for all game, I will go 30-6 easy with the knife. With the gun, it is nowhere near that easy. If there is someone else running knife, we will both do really well. The knife is easier to play with. I think they should tone it down. I would like to be encouraged to shoot mans.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    knifing isnt instawin, but its a lot of fun. warping up on someone and knifing them in the face is the best feeling ever.

This right here. Or when you are able to successfully sneak around the enemies backside, get them in the back a couple of times, and then they are constantly on alert cause some maniac is running around a warfield collecting scalps. The psychological part is the best in my mind. Instilling in someone the urge to constantly check behind them might get you killed a couple of times more, but will net your teammates a much better chance of shooting them.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Disrupter wrote: »
    It most certainly does require both of those things.

My one problem with the game is that sniper shots to the head without stopping power literally do not one hit kill. And that is insanely annoying. Maybe it depends on the sniper, but the w2000 takes two head shots or 3 body shots. And if someone is hiding ina bunker or a window, and you shoot them in the face, the recoil is so bad that they will probably hide before you can get shot 2 off.

Head shots should kill damnit! :(

As for the build. It depends. If I am on a map where thermal will help, its bling, cold blooded and ninja.

If I dont need thermal I havent quite figured out what to replace bling with. So I usually just keep it and use the fmj bullets with my silencer.

huh?
    I consistently get 1 shot 1 kill with the barret .50 without a silencer.

Edit: also do the matchmaking servers put together high level players with other high level players or is it all based off ping? I'ved seen a few people with level 50 or so in my games but i'm wonder when you get that high does it start throwing you in games where everyone has cold blooded and ninja and then hbs and uavs are useless?

When I first started sniping, and I used the barret and shot people in the upper neck / head, I would get head shots / one shot-one kill all the time.

Now I dont. I know some are head shots, cause all I will see is the enemies head, Ill shoot it twice and the second shot will tell me it was a head shot. I clearly hit it because I hear the "thuck" noise of bullet hitting a body.

Maybe its the silencer? Its not THAT big of a deal, sniping is still fun, but it just would be way more epic if I had confident that a head shot would do the job.

The silencer makes a huge deal on the sniper rifle. Most of the time you're shooting people from way across the map, and at that range the silencer takes a huge chunk of damage off your shots. Really, the silencer on a sniper rifle is a real hindrance.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been forcing myself to use the throwing knife as often as possible, and I'm actually getting a bit better at it!

I got the challenge last night for killing five people with it (yay!). Unfortunately, the ratio of Times I get Someone/Times I miss and They Kill Me is about 1/50 right now, which usually results in me doing horrible in any match where I use that class.

Luckily, I can make up for the bad k/d ratio by playing one round as a sniper and going 17/2

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The knife is so good because it is a one time attack that arcs towards the enemy and is thereby NOT AS EASILY EFFECTED BY LAG.

One could even say that having lag as a knifer is an ADVANTAGE.

The same is not true about a gun where every single shot you fire is prone to not hit/not register because of lag.

That is why knife is a preferred and strong method for people outside the US to play.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well that does sound like suck if you have to run around with a pistol getting some ridiculous amount of kills to get the tac knife attachment :(

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yea i dont ever see myself getting the tac knife, which is a shame because its really fun in the spec ops missions where you have it

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I will try to get it, just using pistols instead of my knife should be a fun change of pace.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The silencer makes a huge deal on the sniper rifle. Most of the time you're shooting people from way across the map, and at that range the silencer takes a huge chunk of damage off your shots. Really, the silencer on a sniper rifle is a real hindrance.

The question is can people easily find you if you don't use the silencer?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't like how you have to burn through the piercing bullets addon just to get to expanded mags.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I don't like how you have to burn through the piercing bullets addon just to get to expanded mags.

man yea, ive been using the scar with fmj+red dot the past couple nights trying to get extended mags and i think ive goten like 5 penetration kills total so far.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    [...] I can get amazing scores using the knife [...] In a free for all game [...]
    Ok. I wonder if the guy complaining about knives only plays FFA or DM or something

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It most certainly does require both of those things.

My one problem with the game is that sniper shots to the head without stopping power literally do not one hit kill. And that is insanely annoying. Maybe it depends on the sniper, but the w2000 takes two head shots or 3 body shots. And if someone is hiding ina bunker or a window, and you shoot them in the face, the recoil is so bad that they will probably hide before you can get shot 2 off.

Head shots should kill damnit! :(

As for the build. It depends. If I am on a map where thermal will help, its bling, cold blooded and ninja.

If I dont need thermal I havent quite figured out what to replace bling with. So I usually just keep it and use the fmj bullets with my silencer.

huh?
    I consistently get 1 shot 1 kill with the barret .50 without a silencer.

Edit: also do the matchmaking servers put together high level players with other high level players or is it all based off ping? I'ved seen a few people with level 50 or so in my games but i'm wonder when you get that high does it start throwing you in games where everyone has cold blooded and ninja and then hbs and uavs are useless?

When I first started sniping, and I used the barret and shot people in the upper neck / head, I would get head shots / one shot-one kill all the time.

Now I dont. I know some are head shots, cause all I will see is the enemies head, Ill shoot it twice and the second shot will tell me it was a head shot. I clearly hit it because I hear the "thuck" noise of bullet hitting a body.

Maybe its the silencer? Its not THAT big of a deal, sniping is still fun, but it just would be way more epic if I had confident that a head shot would do the job.

If you use a silencer you won't get one hit kills at any range, period. It's more like 2 headshots or 3 body shots. And that's just unacceptable with a sniper rifle. It might be viable in hardcore but I haven't tried it yet.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What makes the Vector better than the P90 or UMP? I'm unable to look at the stats right now, but I clearly recall both the UMP and P90 having more desirable stats.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    [...] I can get amazing scores using the knife [...] In a free for all game [...]
    Ok. I wonder if the guy complaining about knives only plays FFA or DM or something

I mostly play team deathmatch. It is less viable there, but still crazy good. I understand that it's cool and everything. I just wish it was less awesome, because I think being able to be particularly competitive in a gun game with a knife is silly!

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What makes the Vector better than the P90 or UMP? I'm unable to look at the stats right now, but I clearly recall both the UMP and P90 having more desirable stats.

The vector has near-zero recoil.

Numi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The question is can people easily find you if you don't use the silencer?

Well, if you're sniping at range people are just going to find you via kill-cam anyway. I never take more than one or two kills before moving.

I'm also a pretty terrible sniper, so there's that. I still don't think it's worth the overall damage reduction, though. Just remember to look around after every kill to see if anyone has suddenly started hauling ass in your direction while wielding a tac knife.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I question whether or not the Vector is the best SMG, but it's a fact that the stat page will lie to you. Also the stat page doesn't take into account recoil, ironsights, and magazine size.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Question about the singleplayer campaign:
    During "Wolverines!" or the mission immediately after it (can't remember the exact title), you're pounding through suburbia looking to secure a High Value Individual. You find the guy's saferoom open, the HVI dead, and a probable murderer also dead. Someone in your squad remarks that he has "strange tattoos" or something.

Does anyone know who the HVI is, why he was killed, and what he has to do with the overall plot? I'm assuming the HVI's killer is a 141 type and one of Shepherd's lapdogs, but I'm missing the motive.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SCAR > *

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Numi wrote: »

I'd have to try it, but none of the SMGs have much, if any recoil. I love the P90.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

super high rate of fire too.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    who loves domination game type?

me i do.

and i only use riot shields and javalins and throwing knives.

i'm a prot pally playing arathi basin yay

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well that does sound like suck if you have to run around with a pistol getting some ridiculous amount of kills to get the tac knife attachment :(

It really isn't that bad if you are decent with the riot shield. I think I cleared 60 magnum kills in just the ~3 hours I was playing last night. Basically I had a build that was like;

Riot Shield
    Magnum

Scavenger Pro
    Hardline (needed the sweet sweet exp)
    Whatever the hell I wanted (usually ninja pro)

Semtex
    Stun x 2

You want to either catch people from behind or bait them into some sort of retardo duel. Catching people from behind is simple, so not going to belabor it. The trickier part is the dance of death you try and get people to engage in. Most bad players, when faced with the riot shield, will get confused and engage in all sorts of hilarious antics. Your goal is to get them to expend their ammo and then stun grenade them. Once they are stunned swap to pistol and ace them. Sometimes circumstances won't work out and you will need to semtex and/or melee, but c'est la vie. Scavenger Pro is necessary IMO, since the default loadout for the magnum only has three reloads, and you will be leveraging your grenades/specials for great victory. You also get good ancillary exp from the deflections and stuff, which is just a bonus.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Is this supposed to make sense, or is this one of those things that's just not for me?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The silencer thing would explain why I once a head shot, complete with the headshot noise and the opponent's brains splattering the wall behind him, and didn't get a kill.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Is this supposed to make sense, or is this one of those things that's just not for me?

WoW reference

Mugaaz on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

It really isn't that bad if you are decent with the riot shield. I think I cleared 60 magnum kills in just the ~3 hours I was playing last night. Basically I had a build that was like;

/snip

So the shield gives full frontal coverage? And do you have to unequip it to use a pistol or just lower it.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The key advantage to using the Tac Knife isn't the striking speed, it's the quick cooldown compared to the normal melee attack. It allows you to knife multiple targets quickly without having to wait for your melee attack to finish swinging.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

/snip

So the shield gives full frontal coverage? And do you have to unequip it to use a pistol or just lower it.

Standing it doesn't give full frontal cover, your feet and I believe a tiny bit of your head are visible. Crouching it gives nearly full frontal cover. It can be pierced even then, but it is somewhat hard as near as I can tell. So you need to crouch when facing someone or your feet will get shot off.

You swap to pistol, at which point your shield moves from full coverage of your frontal arc to partial coverage of your rear arc. SO effectivelly you are unequiping it, but that shouldn't matter too much since you now have 6 shots to kill a reeling enemy. Probably will take a little while to get the hang of it, but it worked pretty well.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    belaraphon wrote: »

super high rate of fire too.

It's basically a not-shitty version of the Scorpion. It's also my go-to weapon for both silenced combat and HOLY SHIT AKIMBO WALL OF BULLETS action.

Seriously, akimbo Vectors + rapid-fire = fucking flesh-blender within 10 feet.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Riot Shield
    Magnum

Scavenger Pro

Semtex
    Stun x 2

You want to either catch people from behind or bait them into some sort of retardo duel. Catching people from behind is simple, so not going to belabor it. The trickier part is the dance of death you try and get people to engage in. Most bad players, when faced with the riot shield, will get confused and engage in all sorts of hilarious antics. Your goal is to get them to expend their ammo and then stun grenade them. Once they are stunned swap to pistol and ace them. Sometimes circumstances won't work out and you will need to semtex and/or melee, but c'est la vie. Scavenger Pro is necessary IMO, since the default loadout for the magnum only has three reloads, and you will be leveraging your grenades/specials for great victory. You also get good ancillary exp from the deflections and stuff, which is just a bonus.

so i'm guessing you use the stun grenade to slow them while you do the ridiculously slow switch to the pistol. are you very exposed while tossing the stun nade? ie do you need to wait for them to waste all their ammo?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

so i'm guessing you use the stun grenade to slow them while you do the ridiculously slow switch to the pistol. are you very exposed while tossing the stun nade? ie do you need to wait for them to waste all their ammo?

Pistol switching seems reasonably rapid, or at least I don't have any major complaints. Switching to other secondary weapons takes a long damn time though it seems.

The stun grenade is mostly insurance, especially if you are still learning the game. You can just hand cannon them straight up, but you are losing some of your safety margin.

You will be exposed briefly during the toss, but I really rarely died due to that. You don't need to wait for them to waste an entire clip, you just need to try and suss out a moment of indecision. Most players don't really know how to handle a riot shield user and you can exploit that. A lot of times its really quite comical watching their fumbling around.

Basically most of my deaths from that build weren't from the actual person I was facing (some were, but they were the minority), but rather from being flanked. So it does behoove you to be somewhat fast with the dispatching if you have reason to think other people are around.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If a riot shield user doesn't have a throwing knife,you can just run towards him,even let him hit you once and then just strafe to the side a bit and knife him.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So this has been out for a week. Tell me about the MP on 360. How has your experience been? Is it fun? Are there still a lot really cheap weapons and perks like in CoD4? Specifically grenade spam and martyrdom. How has the MP experience on live been from the US? Pretty lag free? Is it full of 13 year olds calling you gay like Halo?

I need a new console shooter to play online, but there was a lot about CoD4 that annoyed the shit out of me and made the game not terribly fun to play at times.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Riot Shield
    Magnum

Scavenger Pro

Semtex
    Stun x 2

A much better solution is to just quick throw a knife at them while they're reloading.

I'm not very good with the shield though. Also, because I'm self conscious of my K/D ratio, I don't like playing as a class with little killing power.

I find people are able to cut through it way faster than I cut through others and I don't really get it. I've unloaded several full clips into a single shield and it wouldn't break. Whereas I've had my shield break from less than a single clip. FMJ maybe?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    If a riot shield user doesn't have a throwing knife,you can just run towards him,even let him hit you once and then just strafe to the side a bit and knife him.

Or just back away and grab a buddy and throw down some tag team.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I didn't even know shields could break.

I thought the whole point of the shield was "You are a tank but you are also really bad at killing things".

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So what is the best way to handle a riot shield?

I find that I don't have time to throw a grenade and it usually ends up behind them by a considerable amount, making flashes especially useless.
    Alot of the things in single-player that counter the shield don't work in multi, like being able to stun a shield user with the knife.

Suggestions? I'm feeling that the shield is overpowered right now.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've never seen a riot shielf break. I thought they were unbreakable?

hatedinamerica on