As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Palin: Huge Liar or Narcissistic Megalomaniac?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It reminded me of the huge New York blackout. News organizations were planning to report on huge riots, giant fires, and anarchy...
    People were sitting patiently, protecting shops, and helping each other out.

Disaster makes people monsters my ass.

People were also selling flashlights and batteries for hugely inflated prices. There's always that other side. I like it actually.

Capitalism is king!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Instead, we need that 9/12 mentality

Yeah you know. Like the Founding Fathers had. We need to get back to our traditional values.... of 8 years ago.

It was a Golden Age.

It was a time when we stopped hating eachother, and started hating them over there who were not us

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bet it would be a snap to create a program that could procedurally generate Sarah Palin speeches.

It would generate run-on sentences with liberal use of the phrases "small businesses," "tax cuts," "shake things up," "the right path for America," etc... With a little work I think it could create paragraphs that would be indistinguishable from those of the actual Sarah Palin.

"I just think that we need to get back to that real American mentality, you know, with the small businesses and the job creation and all the things that made this country great during the recession when Reagan cut the capital gains tax and the estate tax and just let the country know and let our small businesses know that he wasn't going to be about the same old, same old, and that he was gonna shake things up."

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I bet it would be a snap to create a program that could procedurally generate Sarah Palin speeches.

It would generate run-on sentences with liberal use of the phrases "small businesses," "tax cuts," "shake things up," "the right path for America," etc... With a little work I think it could create paragraphs that would be indistinguishable from those of the actual Sarah Palin.

"I just think that we need to get back to that real American mentality, you know, with the small businesses and the job creation and all the things that made this country great during the recession when Reagan cut the capital gains tax and the estate tax and just let the country know and let our small businesses know that he wasn't going to be about the same old, same old, and that he was gonna shake things up."

someone around here already did that I think

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

"I just think that we need to get back to that real Merican belief, y'know, with the small businesses and the job creation and all the things that made this country great during the recession when Reagan cut taxes and just let the country know and let our small businesses know that he wasn't gonna be about the same old, same old, and that he was gonna shake things up, also."

You were too specific, lacked "also," and she doesn't know what mentality means.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Note to Palin: "Carnivore" does not mean that you eat meat. It means that you only eat meat. Humans are not carnivores.

What about Boozetafarians or Oxygenarians?

Rent on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's true. I remember it from the election threads last year.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait, why is the army preventing the press from covering Palin's book thing? It's on their base, so they can do whatever they want, but even if she does use it to speak out against the president, how is that different form every other time she opens her stupid mouth?

Because if the Army did so a bunch of retardo Republicans would use it as the Army de facto supporting political dissent towards the president (something they desperately want) and a bunch of retardo Democrats would use it as the Army de facto supporting political dissent towards the president (something they desperately don't want because it's not 2000-2008 any more)

Seriously, goddamn people are so fucking retarded about the military. It's good to see the Army say "No we're not gonna politicize this shit", because seriously we get enough shit as it is either being vilified for not doing something that is explicitly illegal or used and connived for some bullshit sense of patriotism and holier-than-thou attitudes

Rent on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://blogs.reuters.com/frontrow/2009/11/19/on-book-tour-its-palin-unplugged/
    Over at ABC News’ “Good Morning America,” Barbara Walters asked Palin what she would do about 10.2 percent unemployment if she were president.

“I’d start cutting taxes and allowing our small businesses to keep more of what they’re earning, more of what they’re producing, more of what they own and earn so that they can start reinvesting in their businesses and expand and hire more people,” Palin said.

President Barack Obama’s healthcare and energy plans are “back-assward ways of trying to fix the economy,” she said.
    “There’s going to be a huge shift,” she said. “2010 is going to be an earthquake politically across our country because people are just as you are suggesting not putting a lot of hope in this Congress,” she said.
    Ugh.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/19/palin-book-tour-my-critic_n_364400.html
    "These are probably some lonely people, some shallow people who want to take a shot like that and we need to pray for these people for one," Palin said, then added, "we also need to keep things in perspective."
    She is right. She will die unloved and forgotten like many other would be political messiahs.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Note to Palin: "Carnivore" does not mean that you eat meat. It means that you only eat meat. Humans are not carnivores.

...my God. Palin is naturally drunk. This explains so much.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sarah Palin: never following national politics before.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it, why the fuck is palin not an active anything allowed to speak on an army base in the first place?

If I were to guess Palin either publicly or privately requested it, and the Army realized the politically expedient thing to do as opposed to shutting her out (which would be called a deeply political move) was to allow her on post but not to allow her to turn it into an on-post rebuke of the president

Fuck for all we know they more than likely briefed the executive branch and someone in the White House Communications Department/Cabinet/Joint Chiefs/Obama himself might've given the go-ahead

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

OH MY GOD SHE'S A SEAL CLUBBER

DEAR JESUS

CONSPIRACY ALL UP ITT

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I missed it, why the fuck is palin not an active anything allowed to speak on an army base in the first place?

If I were to guess Palin either publicly or privately requested it, and the Army realized the politically expedient thing to do as opposed to shutting her out (which would be called a deeply political move) was to allow her on post but not to allow her to turn it into an on-post rebuke of the president

Fuck for all we know they more than likely briefed the executive branch and someone in the White House Communications Department/Cabinet/Joint Chiefs/Obama himself might've given the go-ahead

There is more here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/19/army-keeping-media-from-p_n_364248.html
    The U.S. Army plans to prevent media from covering Sarah Palin's appearance at Fort Bragg, fearing the event will turn into political grandstanding against President Barack Obama, officials said Thursday.

Fort Bragg spokesman Tom McCollum told The Associated Press that the military post's garrison commander and other Army officials had decided to keep media away from Palin's book signing, which will not include a speech.

The AP and The Fayetteville Observer were protesting the decision to ban media.

McCollum said the Army did not want the Monday event to become a platform to express political opinions "directed against the commander in chief."

"The main reason is to stop this from turning into a political platform," he said. "There are Army regulations that basically prohibit military reservations from becoming political platforms by politicians."

He said only one politician can use that platform, "and that person does it as our commander in chief."

Palin, the former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, has already agreed not to give a speech at Fort Bragg, McCollum said. Officials said Palin will only sign her books at the event and will not stop to pose for photographs or personalize the books.

But McCollum worried that Palin's supporters might use the media to express political opinions from the sprawling military installation that serves as a base for some 35,000 soldiers.
    Story continues below

"This will stop someone from grandstanding," he said. Other members of the public would be permitted to attend.

Fort Bragg does not hold many promotional events, especially not with political figures, McCollum said. He added that politicians do come onto Fort Bragg in their official capacity to meet with troops or do private events, but not to hold forums or give speeches. He said the Army was fine allowing Palin to do her event, so long as it didn't become a stage for a public political discussion via the media.

Palin's spokeswoman didn't immediately return an e-mail message seeking comment and a spokeswoman for Palin's publisher, HarperCollins, did not immediately return a call.

Palin began her promotional tour this week for a new memoir, "Going Rogue," with plans to travel through several states that were key to the 2008 election, including North Carolina. She made several stops in the state in 2008 while campaigning on the ticket of GOP presidential nominee John McCain.

McCollum said it's not clear if military officials consider Palin a politician but noted that she has been critical of Obama while promoting the book. She said in an interview with ABC News that Obama should provide more troops to Afghanistan.

"It frustrates me and frightens me – and many Americans – that President Obama is dithering around with the decision in Afghanistan," she said.

Palin doesn't appear to be using her book-signing events to explicitly promote her politics. She spoke briefly to supporters outside an event in Michigan on Wednesday, saying it was great to be there and not mentioning Obama.

At least one person in the crowd yelled: "Palin power. 2012, yes."

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

OH MY GOD SHE'S A SEAL CLUBBER

DEAR JESUS

CONSPIRACY ALL UP ITT

Kingdom of Loathing?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    She's not going to run for president.
    She's going to get rich milking her brand.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

And then run for President.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I think Trig is old enough that she's dried up by now.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DraculaDracula DARCUL DAS WAMPY Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    "As the soles of my shoes hit the soft ground, I pushed past the tall cottonwood trees in a euphoric cadence, and meandered through willow branches that the moose munched on,"

The use of the word "munch" is really what makes this.

EDIT
    Oh god, I'm so behind.

Dracula on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And again I still don't see why Sarah Palin is allowed on a military base period. Can other authors do this as well?[/spoiler]
    ...Yes? Military bases aren't like lockdown places with sirens and shit everywhere, if you're a civilian we're not gonna shoot you on site or some shit. You can get on one very easily
    Will Steven King debut the Stand 2 at a CDC location?
    Sure, if there's enough of a demand at it I could totally see Steven King appearing to promote a book. Be all support-the-troopsy, get some good PR out of it, hang out with troops (because we're cool guys :P)
    This happens all the time, fucking Franken appeared at like a West Point grad for a good friend of mine back in 200...6? 2007?

So yeah. Army takes anyone famous they can get. Really

Rent on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

As a 3rd party. And totally spoil shit for the republicans.

Dems cackle, nominate Adolf "4:20 errday" Marx

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'm not convinced she has the discipline to see a national election all the way from start to finish. If she ever runs, she will drop out by the Florida primary.

I am calling it.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Kingdom of Loathing?

Yeah we're douchers about it :P

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/11/palin_idiots_if_we_dont_learn.html
    "I believe that history teaches us lessons, and we're idiots if we don't learn from history,'' Palin said, suggesting there is a lot to be learned from Ronald Reagan's handling of the economy and national security matters. "A common-sense conservative looks at history, finds out how did we screw up in history, how did we implement solutions and we go from there.''
    So much irony.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I'm not convinced she has the discipline to see a national election all the way from start to finish. If she ever runs, she will drop out by the Florida primary.

I am calling it.

Rudy still ran for President last year! He sort of broke his leg and had to be put down on the track before the first turn, but still!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Over at ABC News’ “Good Morning America,” Barbara Walters asked Palin what she would do about 10.2 percent unemployment if she were president.

“I’d start cutting taxes and allowing our small businesses to keep more of what they’re earning, more of what they’re producing, more of what they own and earn so that they can start reinvesting in their businesses and expand and hire more people,” Palin said.

President Barack Obama’s healthcare and energy plans are “back-assward ways of trying to fix the economy,” she said.
    “There’s going to be a huge shift,” she said. “2010 is going to be an earthquake politically across our country because people are just as you are suggesting not putting a lot of hope in this Congress,” she said.
    Ugh.

I like how republicans can stall the fuck out of congress and then blame the democrats for not passing anything/being partisan. I LOVE MY COUNTRY!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Ugh.

I like how republicans can stall the fuck out of congress and then blame the democrats for not passing anything/being partisan. I LOVE MY COUNTRY!

Abolish the Senate!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Ugh.

Abolish the Senate!

We need more than 2 parties so we can try to curtail this stupid power playing pissing matches that do nothing for anyone except for the ass hats in their bubble of anti-reality

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Ugh.
    Sarah Palin doesn't understand how corporate taxes work? I am shocked!

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    We need more than 2 parties so we can try to curtail this stupid power playing pissing matches that do nothing for anyone except for the ass hats in their bubble of anti-reality

My understanding is countries with more than two major political parties aren't any better off than we are. Third parties aren't some magical bullet that will cure all our problems.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

My understanding is countries with more than two major political parties aren't any better off than we are. Third parties aren't some magical bullet that will cure all our problems.

Fo serious, if anything with our system it could dead lock the shit worse than it is now. Though it does seem that we just change over one party rule. We should go all the way and wear green and purple and fight it out...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/11/palin_idiots_if_we_dont_learn.html
    "I believe that history teaches us lessons, and we're idiots if we don't learn from history,'' Palin said, suggesting there is a lot to be learned from Ronald Reagan's handling of the economy and national security matters. "A common-sense conservative looks at history, finds out how did we screw up in history, how did we implement solutions and we go from there.''
    So much irony.

That is hilarious on a lot of levels.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sarah Palin doesn't understand how corporate taxes work? I am shocked!
    I don't think she understands how anything works. For example, profiling:

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11/palin-on-muslim-profiling-im-all-for-it.php
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkrUQ6q1kZk&feature=player_embedded
    On Hannity last night, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she's "all for" profiling Muslims if it saves "innocent American lives."

Speaking about the Fort Hood shooting, she said there were "massive warning flags that were missed all over the place" because of a "fear of being politically incorrect."
    On Hannity last night, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she's "all for" profiling Muslims if it saves "innocent American lives."

Speaking about the Fort Hood shooting, she said there were "massive warning flags that were missed all over the place" because of a "fear of being politically incorrect."

"Profiling" the alleged shooter, she said, would have meant investigating the "simple things, like looking at his business card that had the secret code word for who it actually was" he was working for.
    Can anybody tell me what the fuck the bolded is talking about?

Edit: Oh. He put himself as a SoA (Soldier of Allah) on his business card apparently. I don't see how that is what should have sent off the warning bells instead of all of the shit only tangentially related to his ethnicity or religion. How is that a code word?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/11/palin_on_nidal_hasan_profile_a_1.asp
    I spoke to Governor Palin by phone this afternoon. Lots of interesting material, but to me the most interesting takeaways were the following:

1) I asked about Palin's upcoming visit to Ft. Hood. "We had planned on that before the tragedy struck," she said. She commented on the trail of evidence linking the alleged Ft. Hood shooter, Maj. Nidal Hasan, to militant Islam. "There were such clear, obvious, massive warning signs that were missed," she said. "This terrorist, even having business cards" that identified him as an "SoA" or soldier of Allah. Palin blamed a culture of political correctness and other decisions that "prevented -- I'm going to say it -- profiling" of someone with Hasan's extremist ideology. "I say, profile away," Palin said. Such political correctness, she continued, "could be our downfall." If the upcoming investigations into the attack reveal bad decision-making on the part of senior officials, Palin continued, those officials ought to be fired.

Palin visits Ft. Hood on December 4. She plans to donate all the royalties from her book-signing there to the families of the victims.

2) I also asked Governor Palin about Attorney General Holder's decision to try September 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohamed in federal court in New York City.

"Does KSM deserve constitutional rights?" I asked.

Palin's response: "Not no, but hell no."

And she went on: "That was an atrocious decision," she said. "And it makes a mockery of our judicial system." She focused in particular on the fear that "war criminals" like KSM and his accomplices will use the trial as a "platform" to denigrate America.
    FUCK YOU

Couscous on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can anybody tell me what the fuck the bolded is talking about?

Perhaps his business card said he worked for Bin Laden Co. a division of Al Qaeda Enterprises

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Secret code word" means "muslimy sounding name".

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Her book has been out less than a week, and she's made multiple blunders in a single interview that would be politically damning for any other candidate.

I don't see her lasting long. And if she does, she will have estranged so many moderates and independents that she's going to have a very hard time winning primaries.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    But Spawn, it's all the fault of the liberal gotcha media.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It'll be interesting to see what her opinion rating is in a few weeks, after the dust settles.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.