As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Hookup: Comics Deals, Sales, Giveaways, Etc.

• KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As do I, which is why I didn't order anything. It's like some crap late 90's site.
    You really showed them!

KyleWPeterson on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TexiKen on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nice find.

As I was looking through that sale, I noticed that Kieron Gillen wrote a Warhammer graphic novel. I'm intrigued.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Good Lord those are some great deals, have to get at least 25 bucks worth for free shipping.

Edit: Nevermind, all the books I want are already sold out dammit.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shitload of trades on sale for $3-$4 at B&N.

Nothing I'd actually want, though, except for maybe Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four

Robos A Go Go on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any idea how long this sale is on?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2010
    They're clearance items, so I imagine it'll go on until everything is sold out.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    During sales like these, I always find myself in the odd position of buying shit I never would, just because I need to get my order total to $25 to get free shipping.

"Trigun? Well shit, it is only two dollars.."

Munch on
    edited June 2010
    I just got that Wolverine book, which I guess is the first telling of his origin, and the Speed Racer box set, which was a real good deal at 700 pages within two hardcovers for a paltry $6. In fact, I'm surprised that that item wasn't the first to sell out.

I'd have thrown in trades of The Pulse and Secret Invasion, but I really have too many books in my room as it is.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2010
    I got New Ways to Die, MBQ (which is a really awesome OEL manga about a struggling cartoonist), a few Pulse TPBs, a few volumes of Trigun, Secret Invasion Frontline and Home Invasion, Eternals, and a few other things.

I thought about getting the Bacchus books, but restrained myself. Eddie Campbell can be hit (Monsieur Leotard) or miss (Death of the Artist) with me.

Munch on
    edited June 2010
    Aw, MBQ sounds cool. I wish you'd said something sooner.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2010
    Well, if you want to try navigating TokyoPop's [strike]terrible[/strike] (Edit: Actually, full-screen mode's working fine now. It was acting funky for a while.) Flash interface, you can read most of it for free here on their website.

It's actually really interesting, and follows a big cast of characters as they kind of chase their dreams. And then there's crazy martial arts fights, strippers, and all other kinds of wackiness sprinkled in there.

Munch on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty good sale! I ordered Death of Captain America, Mighty Avengers 1 & 2, Ultimate X-Men 1-3, and another volume of Sandman I had been meaning to pick up while I was at it.

Centipede Damascus on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The mile High sale has been extended through tomorrow if anyone's still on the fence or interested.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    50 random comic books for $9.99

Seems like a pretty good deal for someone like me who hasn't read much of anything. Though I don't know. Has this deal ever happened before, and would you guys recommend it?

Foolish Chaos on
    edited June 2010
    Do you have space for 50 extra comic books? If they sucked, would you be able to throw them out, or would you latch onto them Hoarders style?

I'd be willing to do it if I had the space or inclination to sort through that many comics.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty new to comic booking. I'm interested in the medium, but trying to get into this community is a seemingly impossible task, and the pure bulk of books I see people buy every week makes my warhammer gaming seem cheap.

I only currently have two trade paperbacks, so this looks like it could be a decent deal to help me get into a few select series. Though I don't know if they just hand out the rejects with this deal or whatever. I don't have any experience with graveyardmall

Foolish Chaos on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm pretty new to comic booking. I'm interested in the medium, but trying to get into this community is a seemingly impossible task, and the pure bulk of books I see people buy every week makes my warhammer gaming seem cheap.

I only currently have two trade paperbacks, so this looks like it could be a decent deal to help me get into a few select series. Though I don't know if they just hand out the rejects with this deal or whatever. I don't have any experience with graveyardmall
    More then likely they won't give you the greatest books in that deal. The best thing to do would be to ask someplace like here for recommendations. Just list off what you like already from other mediums and people will suggest similar stuff.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited June 2010
    I think a good idea is to start by getting some books about a particular character you like. Half of my collection is Hellboy and Sandman stuff, and I just pick up whatever other random stuff I feel like that I hear is good.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2010
    I think a good idea is to start by getting some books about a particular character you like. Half of my collection is Hellboy and Sandman stuff, and I just pick up whatever other random stuff I feel like that I hear is good.
    The problem that could cause is that if he likes a popular character like Wolverine, he will have no idea what issues are great and which ones suck, and there are a lot that suck haha. It's not a problem with Hellboy because really, how many bad issues of Magnolia Hellboy are there?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

centi have you gotten the annotated mantooth, five firsts of science, or the herbie archives yet?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Ruins wrote: »
    The problem that could cause is that if he likes a popular character like Wolverine, he will have no idea what issues are great and which ones suck, and there are a lot that suck haha. It's not a problem with Hellboy because really, how many bad issues of Magnolia Hellboy are there?

Magnolia Hellboy's trip to the botanical gardens was pretty awful.

And it's not that hard to find a good book by a popular character. Opinions and recommendations are easy to come by on the internet.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2010

centi have you gotten the annotated mantooth, five firsts of science, or the herbie archives yet?

No... I don't think I've even heard of the annotated Mantooth.

Centipede Damascus on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    B&N has like nothing available online. Damnit, wanted that NOVA.

cardboard delusions on
    edited June 2010
    Ruins wrote: »

Magnolia Hellboy's trip to the botanical gardens was pretty awful.

And it's not that hard to find a good book by a popular character. Opinions and recommendations are easy to come by on the internet.
    ...That's exactly what I suggested last page. I was just saying that this guy shouldn't blindly go into his LCS grabbing books when you're new to the medium, even if they're characters you may already like. I did that and it turned me off to a few characters for a long time because the writers of the particular issues I bought didn't handle the character well and I became disinterested.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited June 2010
    You don't even realize what you did wrong, do you?

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2010

No... I don't think I've even heard of the annotated Mantooth.

christ centi, the hell's the matter with you boy?

bi0274.jpg

1217d3l.jpg

buy it right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    FYI, Amazon's got a 4 for 3 deal going on for some trades and manga. Not really the awesomest deal around, but it'll get you about 25% off depending on what you buy. http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_3237912_5?ie=UTF8&node=223084011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=03YXTH6247F8V7B0T5EG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=345223901&pf_rd_i=220084011

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, Mantooth looks awesome as heck.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010
    everyone needs to get the annotated mantooth

if you don't, you are gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2010
    everyone needs to get the annotated mantooth

if you don't, you are gayer than 8 guys blowing 9 guys
    That would suck for that last guy. There's got to be moments where one of them isn't getting blown. My point is, is I'm going to buy this book because I don't want to be in some kind of uneven man orgy.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited July 2010
    The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Is that really a hookup though, pricewise?

TexiKen on
    edited July 2010
    yes it is

it is cheaper than retail value

and it is jason aaron's entire run on ghost rider

it is also bomb as hell and why are you not pre-ordering it right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tell you what TLB, you buy it for me and if I like it, I owe you a coke. Can't say fairer than that.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited July 2010
    no you buy it for me

and also a pony

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2010
    You'd just pretend to be a ghost rider by setting the pony on fire and riding it as it franticly trots toward its demise. Nobody deserves a pony less than you.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2010
    Someone better hide the world's smallest pony from TLB then.

TexiKen on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want that Ghost Rider Omnibus. I herd good things about the run. Anyone have any input towards it?

Silver_Mage on
    edited July 2010
    From what everyone has written, here and from reviews, the book was very good under Aaron. He took a premise that was genuinely skeptical (Ghost Rider working for God harks to that Punisher working for God that wasn't that good), and made it really fun. Plus lots of other Ghost Riders throughout the world.

TexiKen on