As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YouTube View Fraud... does Youtube benefit?

SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I recently entered into a canadian video competition, in which the first stage of the competition was to bring in as many views as possible. The winner receives fifteen thousand dollars ($$$). The way it worked was if you were in the top 5 for views (Tracked via Youtube), you moved onto the next phase of the competition, in which your videos would be judged for their creativity/quality and appeal. etc.

My friends and I banded together to make a video, having a lot of fun with it and getting to do a lot of cool things behind the camera.

We social networked the shit out of it. We handed out slips of paper on campus with the link to try and drive the views up, we even offered to host a party for one of the more sizeable residences on campus if we won, driving our views higher.

For the first little bit, it appeared that this strategy was working quite well, we quickly pulled in a sizeable amount of views and interest, and for a long time held the #1 spot. We were all very happy with how the video had done, and felt assured that we would be able to take one of the top 5 spots. How wrong we were...

Within the last couple of weeks, competitors videos have been pulling views like mad, at rates that seem completely unfeasible. In the span of about 5 hours, one of them in particular was able to pull in roughly 18 000 views, with only a handful of comments and ratings. After some marginal research, I discovered that the views on youtube were not hard to fake, indeed, several commercial programs existed to do just that. One of the worst offenders had their video removed after a few days, but several others remain. This led me to wonder...

Is Youtube capable of telling what constitutes a 'real' view? Perhaps more importantly, would they care? In the interest of driving their own metrics and marketing numbers up, perhaps in the long run this helps them? After some more reading, I read that quite a few popular youtube partners seem particularly guilty of view fraud. Would it not be in youtube's best interests to stop them from doing this? Or do they have a system that separates the reported views from paying views.

This debate will serve two purposes, first of all, being the selfish whore I am, I want people to watch our video. Secondly, what do you think of the way youtube and other websites monitors views? Should they install stricter countermeasures ? Or does these views help drive the system, letting lesser known users come to the fore front?

Sceptre on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well if Youtube based their ad-revenue on views then I'm sure their stats would be as bulletproof as possible.

But I'm guessing they go buy clicks..

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    YouTube has issues remembering what videos from my subscriptions I've seen. Or recommends me videos I've already favorited. Their viewcount being an exploitable piece of shit doesn't surprised me. The fault on them is running a contest based on something exploitable at any level.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think it's pretty obvious to everyone involved that youtube views were a pretty terrible way to run a contest. But is it in youtube's interests to repair it? Do they receive any benefit from the current system?

I'm mainly confused as to why such a system would exist when they have their partners program.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know but man, that video was great. =D

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If the number of views is an important metric for ordering search results then it's in googles best interest to prevent faking it for the same reason it's in googles interest to prevent people from google bombing search results.

I imagine it's not their top priority

Dman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I thought google did have measures in place to stop view bombing. Is that not how it works? Is the internet a lie?!

Sceptre on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    also this was a pretty smooth way to get more people to watch your video, brah

Pony on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i've encountered this a few times. the worst offenders are fake videos with annotations that link to the very video you are watching, so you click it trying to find the real video but it just keeps leading back and driving up the views
    youtube is full of stupid people who i can imagine do this for hours wondering when the real video is supposed to show up

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it's possible the very point of this contest was to examine ways people are frauding google's systems in this manner, as when an incident of fraud happens with an advertiser they have to pay them back
    i've encountered this a few times. the worst offenders are fake videos with annotations that link to the very video you are watching, so you click it trying to find the real video but it just keeps leading back and driving up the views
    youtube is full of stupid people who i can imagine do this for hours wondering when the real video is supposed to show up

You're probably right. If south park is correct, 25% of the population is retarded, and half of them are on youtube posting comments

override367 on
  • Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it's possible the very point of this contest was to examine ways people are frauding google's systems in this manner, as when an incident of fraud happens with an advertiser they have to pay them back

You're probably right. If south park is correct, 25% of the population is retarded, and half of them are on youtube posting comments

25% just seems so low.

Spacehog on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Based on what I've seen in comments from other submissions, 25% is the lowest estimate in the world. The really low-ball tactics are pretty sickening, guys coming from other videos and sending your friends hate mail and what not.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spacehog wrote: »

25% just seems so low.

Sturgeon's Second Law applies to people as well.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    also this was a pretty smooth way to get more people to watch your video, brah
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Is Youtube capable of telling what constitutes a 'real' view?
    Yes.
    Perhaps more importantly, would they care?
    No.

Youtube, like any popular site, is a distributed system. They don't have one server, they have hundreds. Probably thousands. Thousands of instances of apache serving millions of GETs a minute. They probably write tebibytes worth of access logs every day.

Can you detect suspicious repeat activity in logs? Sure. Is running any kind of routine pattern analysis against that much data feasible? Not really, no. Not on a regular basis. It's the kind of thing you do when you think someone is attacking your gear.

You should make a film about how to fake views, and submit it to the contest accusing all your competitors of faking views.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg