As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Friday Bundles

NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey all,

I've finally decided to throw down the money for a ps3, and black friday sounds like the best time to do it. Has anyone found any good online deals? Best Buy is apparently selling a bundle for 299 with Ratchet and Clank (Crack in Time) and Little Big Planet. Unfortunately, it's one of those "doorbuster" items which means showing up at 4 a.m. I'd be up for it except I'm currently out of the country until a few days before Christmas.

I'm not sure if there is supposed to be a separate PA forum for this sort of thing, and if I'm entirely wrong could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks everyone!

NaturalNarcissist on

• 043043 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wal-mart will supposedly be doing a deal where you get a 120GB PS3, LittleBigPlanet, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and The Dark Knight on BluRay for 299$.

Trust me, over the course of this next week, the BF deals will be all over the internet. Just search around and find what you wanna order.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm assuming that something will pop up that will make it irrestible. Hell, I just found out about the Metal Gear Solid Essential collection - All Three MGS games for $30. Definitely will have to pick that up before charging in to the fourth game.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • GranakGranak Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did Wal-Mart change the bundle up? I was seeing it as inFamous, Arkham Asylum and the Dark Knight on Blu-Ray with the Slim PS3 for 299.

I mean that'd be a good deal too.

Also: Gamestop is offering something similar.

Slim PS3, LittleBigPlanet, and the God of War collection for 299.

Granak on
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    While the Best Buy sale is a doorbuster and it says "limited supplies available," is there really that much of a chance that BB will sell out of all their PS3 slims by, oh, 7 am? Just seems pretty crazy that all will be gone ... and I reallllllly don't want to wait outside.

WilDPanthA05 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    While the Best Buy sale is a doorbuster and it says "limited supplies available," is there really that much of a chance that BB will sell out of all their PS3 slims by, oh, 7 am? Just seems pretty crazy that all will be gone ... and I reallllllly don't want to wait outside.

Each Best Buy is different, but when I went to a Black Friday sale a couple years ago, there were several hundred people waiting outside at 5 am. They had plenty of copies of cheap software (got the Orange Box for $25) when I finally got in, but all the hardware was pretty much gone.

RainbowDespair on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a former Best Buy Employee :

Yes everything will be gone by 7 AM.

You'll find some left over scraps, but any good deals you see going around now from the BF ads will be gone before the stores open up (around 3AM or whenever they do it now)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I actually just talked to a BB manager on this issue.

People started lining up last year before the store closed on Wednesday.

Yeah, be prepared to fight for the deals.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm just glad I got out of retail before the sale hit my store. Didn't see any bundles in my store, but there are a ton of good games that they are dropping the price on for that day - UFC and NBA 2K10 among them.

Nitsua on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I am going to do the Walmart thing for the ps3 bundle. I think I prefer Infamous to LBP. I did BB last year (got in line at 3 am) and it wasn't too bad.

I think I will hit Gamestop though if the Walmart thing falls through.

Spicy_Rev on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If anyone has any insider info on X360 deals in Canada.. I'm all ears. :)

4rch3nemy on
    edited November 2009

Each Best Buy is different, but when I went to a Black Friday sale a couple years ago, there were several hundred people waiting outside at 5 am. They had plenty of copies of cheap software (got the Orange Box for $25) when I finally got in, but all the hardware was pretty much gone.

Ugh, goddam that sucks. I have a broken foot, so waiting in line is going to be oh so much fun.

I can't decide if I would rather wait in the cold outside of Gamestop of BB now, the GoW pack has interested me greatly. Regardless, I guess I had better stock up on my long underwear.

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm actually up in Canada in the moment. Gamestop had a killer "bring in three decent games and we'll take 100 off the ps3 asking price" a month or two ago. I didn't have my gaming library with me so I didn't take advantage of it, but I'd be on the look out for something like that.

I'm seriously considering bribing/pressuring a friend into hitting up Best Buy's sale. Maybe if they get there around 3 or 4 am... it could work? I've already got Batman for the 360, and getting God of War AGAIN seems like a waste of sale opportunities. Little big planet and Crack in Time? I'd be ecstatic if it was even Tools of Destruction.:mrgreen:

If I see any good deals on anything else I'll post it here, and maybe, just maybe, some of us can get some good deals soon.

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Best Buy (and most retailers) purposefully understock on those sort of doorbuster deals. That's just to get you in the store, you're not actually supposed to be able to buy it :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm looking for a good deal on an elite... but I live in Juneau, so I don't know that's gonna happen. Do websites have black friday deals?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good deal on an elite... but I live in Juneau, so I don't know that's gonna happen. Do websites have black friday deals?

This year I've been using this site: http://www.black-friday.net/ In years past I had used this one: http://bfads.net/ No real reason I chose one over the other. They both seem to have identical listings for the stores I've looked at.

According to the first site Walmart has PS3 slim 120GB with Infamous, Arkham and Dark Knight on bluray. Gamestop has the same console with God of War 1&2 and Little Big Planet and Best Buy has the console with Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank. All the bundles go for the normal console price of $299.

[Edit] Oops, misread your post. I think these sites list places that have online black friday deals as well. Don't they have Best Buy, Gamestop and Walmart in Alaska?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm in a similar boat. Black Friday will likely be my only chance to get a PS3 for the next several months (it happens to be a payday for me as well). I won't be disappointed if I can't get a bundle, but I really would like to finally be able to start buying movies again, so I'm hoping I can find a system at all. I stopped a long time ago since I figured it would be pointless to continue getting dvds only to feel the need to replace them with Blu-rays later. I almost pulled the trigger a few weeks ago but chickened out at the last second when I started to get paranoid about still being able to afford rent/bills/feeding myself/etc.

So do you guys think I'm still screwed if I don't care enough about the deals to line up somewhere at 3am?

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You'll probably get a system, but you won't get the free shit.

It's very very unlikely if you get there at 7AM for any of these door busters to be around. They're in limited quantities that people will have tickets for on thursday night :\ ( because they're waiting in line).

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In-person sales are always a deal-breaker for me since I'm out of town, but I have been told that many online vendors have sales, and I'd be interested in a PS3 as well. There don't seem to be any online sales for it on black-friday.net :(

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I did the Wal-Mart rush to get a half-price Gamecube, but there's a better way.

1. Go to the store before Thanksgiving. You should probably go by at least Monday, as by Wednesday many BF items are pulled from the floor.
    2. Hide what you want in a display refrigerator.
    3. Walk in on black Friday and get your stuff out of the fridge, and buy it.

Note: this works better at Best Buy than Gamestop, which doesn't have so many fridges.

BubbaT on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I did the Wal-Mart rush to get a half-price Gamecube, but there's a better way.

1. Go to the store before Thanksgiving. You should probably go by at least Monday, as by Wednesday many BF items are pulled from the floor.
    2. Hide what you want in a display refrigerator.
    3. Walk in on black Friday and get your stuff out of the fridge, and buy it.

Note: this works better at Best Buy than Gamestop, which doesn't have so many fridges.

Ahh the ol' George Costanza trick. Never thought about that. Just better hope the cameras in the store don't see you.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure employees and customers are all pretty keen to the "hide it in an appliance" thing, though.

I mean, if I missed out on a sale, the first thing I am going to do is start opening up washers, dryers, and fridges.

SmokeStacks on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure employees and customers are all pretty keen to the "hide it in an appliance" thing, though.

I mean, if I missed out on a sale, the first thing I am going to do is start opening up washers, dryers, and fridges.

Not only that, but you are pretty much relying on the hope that NOBODY will open that display model in the time leading up to the sale.

And yeah, I know my timing is pretty terrible. My biggest concern is that my job migrates downtown (a 50+ mile drive from home) in the next three weeks, so I will be quadrupling my monthly expenses, making buying new hardware extremely difficult. Given the fact that the PS3 just recently dropped to a near-impulse-buy price, I have a bad feeling that there will be quite a run on them this season, bundle or not.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »

This year I've been using this site: http://www.black-friday.net/ In years past I had used this one: http://bfads.net/ No real reason I chose one over the other. They both seem to have identical listings for the stores I've looked at.

According to the first site Walmart has PS3 slim 120GB with Infamous, Arkham and Dark Knight on bluray. Gamestop has the same console with God of War 1&2 and Little Big Planet and Best Buy has the console with Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank. All the bundles go for the normal console price of $299.

[Edit] Oops, misread your post. I think these sites list places that have online black friday deals as well. Don't they have Best Buy, Gamestop and Walmart in Alaska?

Best Buy and Gamestop in Anchorage, but not in Juneau. I pretty much got a Fred Meyers and Wal Mart as my only big box retail outlets.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited November 2009
    God, well I'm thoroughly discouraged now. I may take a drive down at 3 am with my mp3 player, and if there are more than 30 people in line I'm going back to fucking bed. A PS3 isn't worth all the hassle.

WilDPanthA05 on
    edited November 2009

I worked a couple times for me, but I haven't been to Black Friday in a few years. There must be some other tricks, too.

How about ordering it online and doing in-store pickup, and not picking it up until BF? Then have them price-match or do a return/rebuy to get the BF deal. The limited part of the bundle, the PS3, would already be reserved for you. I can't imagine they would run out of copies of Arkham Asylum or The Dark Knight. Best Buy will hold your online/phone order at the store for up to 8 days.

BubbaT on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've been waiting for online deals so I don't have to worry about somehow finagling the hassle and limits of an in-store buy.

Anyone know when we might see these online deals available? Amazon surely has to be doing some sort of sale... its what they do!

NaturalNarcissist on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've been waiting for online deals so I don't have to worry about somehow finagling the hassle and limits of an in-store buy.

Anyone know when we might see these online deals available? Amazon surely has to be doing some sort of sale... its what they do!

amazon started their lightning deals thing today. you just have to keep checking back to see what's available.

troublebrewing on
    edited November 2009
    Usually the "doorbuster" deals are not available online. A lot of the web-only retailers hold off until "Cyber" Monday - the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Reportedly Wal-mart and Target are price-matching Black Friday sales this year.

BubbaT on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

amazon started their lightning deals thing today. you just have to keep checking back to see what's available.

The last video game lightning deal is a crimson and black DS Lite for $98, the same price as Walmart's Black Friday deal. I ordered one for my nephew so my sister doesn't have to fight 50 million other mothers at 5am.

grrarg on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually Amazon does lightning deals all the time. I got Rhythm Heaven for less than half price back in September thanks to one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    grrarg wrote: »

The last video game lightning deal is a crimson and black DS Lite for $98, the same price as Walmart's Black Friday deal. I ordered one for my nephew so my sister doesn't have to fight 50 million other mothers at 5am.

that's awesome!

troublebrewing on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    These are in addition to the normal gold box lightning deal. They are going to have lightning deals in 13 categories every day this week.

grrarg on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://bfads.net/ is a nice place to check for things. At least it was a few years ago. I checked it this morning and it didn't seem too bad and looked trustworthy and not full of viruses or anything. their "hot deals" are mentioning a lot of pre-BF deals that can be had online so yeah.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of the places I work at is a newspaper press facility so I get to thumb through all the adds ahead of time. At Sam's Club they're going to have a PS3 bundle that's the same as wal-mart's but with an extra six axis controller, the dvd remote for the ps3, and possibly another blu ray movie for 399 instead of 299.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm tempted to finally buy a next-gen console on BF, but I figure being recently unemployed doesn't help things. If anything, I might just buy some software. I usually check on cheapassgamers.com for the deals, and they have a thread with all their known BF sales, but the other previously mentioned BF sites look good as well.

dclee on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    polaris314 wrote: »

Not only that, but you are pretty much relying on the hope that NOBODY will open that display model in the time leading up to the sale.

And yeah, I know my timing is pretty terrible. My biggest concern is that my job migrates downtown (a 50+ mile drive from home) in the next three weeks, so I will be quadrupling my monthly expenses, making buying new hardware extremely difficult. Given the fact that the PS3 just recently dropped to a near-impulse-buy price, I have a bad feeling that there will be quite a run on them this season, bundle or not.

Thats why you hide it behind the boxes of vacuum cleaners or shelving units. You want something which is popular enough to stock in bulk, but boring enough that people will only look at the first box. Ideally pick a mediocre and cheap brand, but not the cheapest. I mean, these techniques all work best on small things.

Another diabolical plan is to find someone you know who is going at 4 PM Thursday night or something to stand in line, and just ask them to get it for you. Provided they don't want the deal themselves it will be fine. I think everyone knows someone who gets over involved in these Black Friday things. Telling them about another deal you want is just going to make them more excited.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stores usually have extra crew on the the Tuesday and Wednesday night before Thanksgiving to clean up the store and reorganize everything and they'll usually find most stashed away merch.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stores usually have extra crew on the the Tuesday and Wednesday night before Thanksgiving to clean up the store and reorganize everything and they'll usually find most stashed away merch.

that...is hilarious and people...are sad.

Inter_d on
    edited November 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Another diabolical plan is to find someone you know who is going at 4 PM Thursday night or something to stand in line, and just ask them to get it for you. Provided they don't want the deal themselves it will be fine. I think everyone knows someone who gets over involved in these Black Friday things. Telling them about another deal you want is just going to make them more excited.

Every year there's news reports where homeless people are hired to stand in line.

BubbaT on
    edited November 2009
    If anyone here is a Best Buy Silver (prestige? or some such) member, then you can order some of the black friday deals today. With my foot still all jacked up, I was able to buy the PS3 slim with R&C and Little Big Planet. Only problem being in this scenario is that you have to call them and that can be a gigantic pain in the ass.

The deal started at 1 ET and quantities were limited so idk if they would still have any left, but if you meet the criteria you guys should give this a go!

WilDPanthA05 on