As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ripped off my bumper/ Did I commit a hit and run?

WalterWalter Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I hit a pole pulling out of a parking lot. I didn't hit it too hard but my bumper got caught on it and, like an idiot, I backed up. My entire bumper ripped off on my brand new '09 Tacoma. I have a couple questions:

1. Should I contact my insurance? I JUST switched car insurance this month. I'm willing to pay for it out of pocket if the cost isn't too much. I'm 25 next month and was really looking forward to getting a rate decrease.

2. I did a little damage to the pole. It occurred on private property and I was so pissed about my bumper I didn't think to notify anyone. I'm not worried about getting arrested or anything but do I need to contact the police? I want to do the right thing. My car insurance covers property damage but its a run down lot and I doubt anyone is going to care.

Luck has not been on my side lately.

Walter on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Every time an accident occurs in a vehicle you contact:

Police.
    Insurance.

In that order.
    Every time.

e: Probably not a hit and run. I'm not a prosecutor but I have a hard time believing that anyone would press that case. Notify the land owner at the least and offer to pay for the light pole repairs.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In Indiana, if the accident doesn't cause more than $500, you don't have to report it to the police. Personally, I would just pay out of pocket and not make a claim. As for the pole, how much is "a little damage"?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The pole was scuffed/ a little bent.

Walter on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had a collision with my 2006 Suzuki Aerio in which my front bumper had to be replaced. It turned out to have a serial number that was a match to my car. I was told by the body shop that I have to register my new bumper's serial number to the Stolen Vehicle department.

I'd check this out.

MagicToaster on