Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Recommend!] XBox or PS3?

124

Posts

  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DS3 batteries aren't going to be sold after market though, which is a strike against their longevity.

    They're Lithium Ion though, so their longevity is pretty damn long to begin with anyway.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather have to worry about a battery I can buy at every grocery store or gas station in the country, rather than a unique battery that Sony sells with the controller, and is not removable. When that battery dies, I'm going to have to toss the controller. DS3 controller are, retail, $5 more expensive than Xbox 360 controllers, which is also kind of annoying, but a mild issue.

    Of course, the DS3's controller's size doesn't make AA cells feasible, but personally I personally don't find it comfortable in my hands (that, and the Sixaxis controllers felt extremely cheap).

    You can still use it in a non-cordless fashion if the battery stops holding charge, just leave it plugged in. And yes, I agree Sixaxis controllers feel cheap and awful. DS3's, however, do not. At all.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    You can still use it in a non-cordless fashion if the battery stops holding charge, just leave it plugged in. And yes, I agree Sixaxis controllers feel cheap and awful. DS3's, however, do not. At all.

    I could if I had a longer mini-USB cable (though in doing that, I find myself asking--why instead of requiring I buy Sony's more expensive DS3 and a more-expensive mini-USB cable that can reach from my TV when I could just use a cheaper wired controller, like the DS2?).

    So, rather than rearranging my living room, I mostly just stop playing when the battery dies on my DS3 (I have a Sixaxis, but as I already said, feels like crap). The trick is remembering to leave my PS3 to actually charge it, when my instinct is to turn the thing off and save electricity.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have two controllers since I occasionally like to play games like Borderlands, Trine, or the Lego games with other people. So I generally just juggle which one is plugged in charging and which one I'm playing with. Never had a problem with the battery dying.

    steam_sig.png
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    say what you will about the sixaxis, i've had a pair i've been using for two and a half years and they still work as well as the day i bought them.

    plus if you hold them up to the light they turn from black to see through

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not my fault he lives on a continent of suck.

    In reasonable countries they don't cost anywhere near $100. So unless the OP is in Australia it won't matter.

    Really? In NZ the things are 50 to 60 NZD. NZD is worth less than the AUD too. You guys are being jacked.

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Don't fuck with a witch Time to go VROOM!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    You can still use it in a non-cordless fashion if the battery stops holding charge, just leave it plugged in. And yes, I agree Sixaxis controllers feel cheap and awful. DS3's, however, do not. At all.

    Actually, this totally sucks dick and was arranged by Satan.

    I love wired controllers. I have a Play and Charge kit for my 360 but...I just leave it in all the time. I would do the same for the PS3 but whenever you play with a cord in, it randomly loses its connection to the console. A lot. It really, really sucks.

    XbJml1e.jpg?1
    I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town! | PSN: UnbreakableVow | Wii U: UnbreakableVow26
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bastable wrote: »
    It's not my fault he lives on a continent of suck.

    In reasonable countries they don't cost anywhere near $100. So unless the OP is in Australia it won't matter.

    Really? In NZ the things are 50 to 60 NZD. NZD is worth less than the AUD too. You guys are being jacked.

    only if you're stupid

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Obviously, you could switch between Xbox 360 controllers the same way.

    Personally, I'd rather have to worry about a battery I can buy at every grocery store or gas station in the country, rather than a unique battery that Sony sells with the controller, and is not removable. When that battery dies, I'm going to have to toss the controller. DS3 controller are, retail, $5 more expensive than Xbox 360 controllers, which is also kind of annoying, but a mild issue.

    Of course, the DS3's controller's size doesn't make AA cells feasible, but personally I personally don't find it comfortable in my hands (that, and the Sixaxis controllers felt extremely cheap).

    Chances are, one or more of the buttons will be at least semi-stuffed by that point, so you'll probably want to get a new controller anyway. I don't think I've ever had a controller that's lasted an entire generation and I treat them pretty well. The only time I can ever remember throwing a controller on the floor was after an incredibly frustrating VF4 session.

    Bastable: Dual Shock 3's are ~NZ$100. They're quite a bit cheaper if you get them from Play Asia though.

    UnbreakableVow: There might be something wrong with your cable then. The only time the DS3 should lose its connection is when you've taken the USB cord out of it (which I when I think it might switche over to Bluetooth). So if you're randomly losing connection, the USB cable may be a bit faulty.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I still have a working DualShock one. Initially acquired 1998. I am pretty sure I'll suffer a sixaxis battery failure before anything else on the controller breaking.

    steam_sig.png
  • BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Obviously, you could switch between Xbox 360 controllers the same way.

    Personally, I'd rather have to worry about a battery I can buy at every grocery store or gas station in the country, rather than a unique battery that Sony sells with the controller, and is not removable. When that battery dies, I'm going to have to toss the controller. DS3 controller are, retail, $5 more expensive than Xbox 360 controllers, which is also kind of annoying, but a mild issue.

    Of course, the DS3's controller's size doesn't make AA cells feasible, but personally I personally don't find it comfortable in my hands (that, and the Sixaxis controllers felt extremely cheap).

    Chances are, one or more of the buttons will be at least semi-stuffed by that point, so you'll probably want to get a new controller anyway. I don't think I've ever had a controller that's lasted an entire generation and I treat them pretty well. The only time I can ever remember throwing a controller on the floor was after an incredibly frustrating VF4 session.

    Bastable: Dual Shock 3's are ~NZ$100. They're quite a bit cheaper if you get them from Play Asia though.

    UnbreakableVow: There might be something wrong with your cable then. The only time the DS3 should lose its connection is when you've taken the USB cord out of it (which I when I think it might switche over to Bluetooth). So if you're randomly losing connection, the USB cable may be a bit faulty.
    Mis read throught we were talking about the blu ray "video" controller.

    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SixAxis is goofy and doesn't work half the time, it seems.

    steam_sig.png

    I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SixAxis is goofy and doesn't work half the time, it seems.

    What are you talking about?

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think he refers to the motion sensing. God knows I cursed the world whenever I overshot grenades in Uncharted 1.

    EDIT: Oh and Lair.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    uncharted grenades are perfect

    log walking, on the other hand...

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I agree, I turned Motion Controls back on in U2, they're much better.

    Also I don't get all the hatred towards the PS3 online experience. Demon's Souls is fantastic and seemless (and ok, not a typical example), Uncharted 2 I've never struggled to get in to Partys with fellow PA people, LittleBigPlanet I've happily seen four different friends playing and got them to join.

    The Chatrooms that you can have going mid-game are great too. The Uncharted 2 PA one we had/have (haven't played in a while, been busy) was very useful.

    I've used Xbox Live a number of times and it's by and large been the same. Maybe it's because I'm not a "big" online player and don't notice the massive differences.

    Just out of curiosity, did the op come to a decision?

    One thing that possibly hasn't been discussed (haven't read every post) is future prospects. 360 has Natal further down the road if that interests you at all, PS3 has the weird dildo wands. The demo of the "wands" I saw for LittleBigPlanet was awesome, I really want a pointer in that game :)

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    demons souls is the exact argument for the better online experience on ps3

    the ps3's uniform, free online status means that every game can include it as an integral feature

    would demon's souls work with a silver account? no. would littlebigplanet? no way. it's game 2.0, and it can't happen on 360 because they're actively stopping half of the userbase from being connected in a meaningful way

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SixAxis is goofy and doesn't work half the time, it seems.

    What are you talking about?

    Maybe not "goofy" so much as "stupidly tacked on in the majority of games as an afterthought".

    Shaking the controller like I'm having a seizure in order to charge up an attack? Oh yes, that's a grand idea. Let's add that as a feature.

    I'm sure there are some games that actually use it in a meaningful way (though I'm not terribly fond of the idea of having to move the controller about period, that's just me), I just don't own any of them. Personally, I don't think missing any Sixaxis functionality would detract from any PS3 game, though, so an option to turn it off wouldn't be a bad thing I feel.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    SixAxis is goofy and doesn't work half the time, it seems.

    What are you talking about?

    Maybe not "goofy" so much as "stupidly tacked on in the majority of games as an afterthought".

    Shaking the controller like I'm having a seizure in order to charge up an attack? Oh yes, that's a grand idea. Let's add that as a feature.

    I'm sure there are some games that actually use it in a meaningful way (though I'm not terribly fond of the idea of having to move the controller about period, that's just me), I just don't own any of them. Personally, I don't think missing any Sixaxis functionality would detract from any PS3 game, though, so an option to turn it off wouldn't be a bad thing I feel.
    I would agree with all that you said, if it wasn't for flower. I thought the sixaxis was really well done on that game and it would probably be less enjoyable without it.

    Most other games though, sixaxis support has ranged from 'meh' to 'aaargh!'

    dansig.gif
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    demons souls is the exact argument for the better online experience on ps3

    the ps3's uniform, free online status means that every game can include it as an integral feature

    would demon's souls work with a silver account? no. would littlebigplanet? no way. it's game 2.0, and it can't happen on 360 because they're actively stopping half of the userbase from being connected in a meaningful way

    if you can't afford $4 a month, then you probably can't afford to be playing video games
    not saying i wouldn't prefer it be free, but i don't really feel the sting when it comes to paying for XBL
    i'd say it's more than worth my money, as i know the games i'm interested in will have an active online community for at least some stretch of time on the 360.
    playing burnout paradise at my friend's house, we struggled to find a game with more the 2 people online, and often were put back into the same games (this could be a fault of the game and not the PSN, this is just anecdotal evidence).

    3DS - 3239-3347-2159
    XB1/360 - Local H Jay
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd pay the same fee on the PSN as I do on XBL for having all the features that the 360 as a platform provides. PSN might catch up some day, but it's nowhere near as sleek and consistent as XBL is. Some of the features aren't really online-dependent, like 100% achievement support and custom soundtrack support, or requiring a demo for every game on XBLA -- and some of it is, like voice chat everywhere and being able to have cross-game parties.

    steam_sig.png
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a recent owner of a PS3, I've finally understood and can agree that the overall interface of the 360 is currently superior to the PS3's, key points being the invite system (integrated into message inbox in 360, while invites are activated through the game's interface on PS3, which may take a little time to find), mandatory trials for XBLA games, easy to navigate Marketplace (I'm being serious here, the european PSN Store is a steaming pile of shit. I search for "Pain" and have to scroll through about 50 "add-on" packs before finding the actual game itself. At least the US store has a dedicated 'demos' tab). And being able to play demos as soon as I've finished downloading them (I have to install some on the PS3). I've never used custom soundtracks, but I assume that's a great addition as well for many.

    I do enjoy the PS3's text chat room feature though, as it's kinda like an IRC channel, though I really do need to pick up a keypad attachment. Oh and of course, free online multiplayer, which was the major selling point for me :^: PS3 also appears to have actual exclusives (rather than time-limited ones e.g. Star Ocean, Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, etc etc) and region free which I will exploit one day, but currently import prices are far too expensive for the games I want (Blazblue and Demon's Souls).

    paDudSig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    You can still use it in a non-cordless fashion if the battery stops holding charge, just leave it plugged in. And yes, I agree Sixaxis controllers feel cheap and awful. DS3's, however, do not. At all.

    I could if I had a longer mini-USB cable (though in doing that, I find myself asking--why instead of requiring I buy Sony's more expensive DS3 and a more-expensive mini-USB cable that can reach from my TV when I could just use a cheaper wired controller, like the DS2?).

    So, rather than rearranging my living room, I mostly just stop playing when the battery dies on my DS3 (I have a Sixaxis, but as I already said, feels like crap). The trick is remembering to leave my PS3 to actually charge it, when my instinct is to turn the thing off and save electricity.

    The trick is plugging an externally powered USB hub into your PS3. It gives you more USB ports and allows you to charge your controllers when the system is off.

  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    demons souls is the exact argument for the better online experience on ps3

    the ps3's uniform, free online status means that every game can include it as an integral feature

    would demon's souls work with a silver account? no. would littlebigplanet? no way. it's game 2.0, and it can't happen on 360 because they're actively stopping half of the userbase from being connected in a meaningful way

    if you can't afford $4 a month, then you probably can't afford to be playing video games
    not saying i wouldn't prefer it be free, but i don't really feel the sting when it comes to paying for XBL
    i'd say it's more than worth my money, as i know the games i'm interested in will have an active online community for at least some stretch of time on the 360.
    playing burnout paradise at my friend's house, we struggled to find a game with more the 2 people online, and often were put back into the same games (this could be a fault of the game and not the PSN, this is just anecdotal evidence).

    you didn't read what i said

    what i mean is 360 developers are limited in what they can do with a game because they cannot make the assumption every user will be connected to the network

    i'm not talking about traditional multiplayer here. i'm talking about games moving to a future state where they're 'always online'; even experiences that could otherwise be quite traditional solo ones

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    demons souls is the exact argument for the better online experience on ps3

    the ps3's uniform, free online status means that every game can include it as an integral feature

    would demon's souls work with a silver account? no. would littlebigplanet? no way. it's game 2.0, and it can't happen on 360 because they're actively stopping half of the userbase from being connected in a meaningful way

    if you can't afford $4 a month, then you probably can't afford to be playing video games
    not saying i wouldn't prefer it be free, but i don't really feel the sting when it comes to paying for XBL
    i'd say it's more than worth my money, as i know the games i'm interested in will have an active online community for at least some stretch of time on the 360.
    playing burnout paradise at my friend's house, we struggled to find a game with more the 2 people online, and often were put back into the same games (this could be a fault of the game and not the PSN, this is just anecdotal evidence).

    you didn't read what i said

    what i mean is 360 developers are limited in what they can do with a game because they cannot make the assumption every user will be connected to the network

    i'm not talking about traditional multiplayer here. i'm talking about games moving to a future state where they're 'always online'; even experiences that could otherwise be quite traditional solo ones

    So what about people who bought Demon's Souls and aren't online? I guess they're shit out of luck? PS3 developers cannot make the assumption that every user will always be connected online either, unless they're making a multiplayer-only game. There are certain realities to deal with, after all. And multiplayer-only games often carry their own online fees. That limits what they can try to, it's really that simple. Why else would Sony offer the option to update PS3s through flash drives?

    (Spoiled for speculation on the matter)
    Spoiler:

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    demons souls is the exact argument for the better online experience on ps3

    the ps3's uniform, free online status means that every game can include it as an integral feature

    would demon's souls work with a silver account? no. would littlebigplanet? no way. it's game 2.0, and it can't happen on 360 because they're actively stopping half of the userbase from being connected in a meaningful way

    if you can't afford $4 a month, then you probably can't afford to be playing video games
    not saying i wouldn't prefer it be free, but i don't really feel the sting when it comes to paying for XBL
    i'd say it's more than worth my money, as i know the games i'm interested in will have an active online community for at least some stretch of time on the 360.
    playing burnout paradise at my friend's house, we struggled to find a game with more the 2 people online, and often were put back into the same games (this could be a fault of the game and not the PSN, this is just anecdotal evidence).

    you didn't read what i said

    what i mean is 360 developers are limited in what they can do with a game because they cannot make the assumption every user will be connected to the network

    i'm not talking about traditional multiplayer here. i'm talking about games moving to a future state where they're 'always online'; even experiences that could otherwise be quite traditional solo ones

    Except any developer who's banking on a game that relies on that sort of mechanic has more obstacles than Xbox Live Fees (though that is one). Not everyone has broadband. Not everyone's consoles are connected online. And of those who are, the majority of them, myself included, have lag and interference to worry about.

    Plus, current persistent worlds--a departure from the matchmaking services that are far more common, and will probably remain dominant for years--always have fees attached. That's just how it is. 11 million users don't mind paying $15 a month for World of Warcraft by itself, so why not? Even if we took away Microsoft's fee, you'll still have one to deal with (and they'll almost always be more expensive). I'd like XBL to be free as well, but for $4 to $7 a month, that's going to take a backseat to $15 or more a month per game, personally.

    again, i'm not talking about traditional multiplayer experiences (like mmos). i'm talking about games that bring a 'net-informed experience even to their solo segments. again, littlebigplanet has direct access to a massive community always, as long as you're hooked up to a local wifi network. demon's souls is littered with notes from other players around the world and constantly flashes images of their demise. gt5p, rather than showing a traditional track demo when you've left it idle for a moment, will without prompting cut to some of the best lap times of players around the world

    it's what's happening to the internet - web pages aren't static anymore, they're informed by twitter feeds and user comments and are sometimes completely crowd-sourced. this can happen to videogames, it can enrich the experience wonderfully, but it's not happening on the 360 due to the fact that connectivity is being actively restricted for vast numbers of users

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So what about people who bought Demon's Souls and aren't online? I guess they're shit out of luck? PS3 developers cannot make the assumption that every user will always be connected online either, unless they're making a multiplayer-only game. There are certain realities to deal with, after all. And multiplayer-only games often carry their own online fees. That limits what they can try to, it's really that simple. Why else would Sony offer the option to update PS3s through flash drives?

    they're alright. the single-player is still fine without the connectivity, a net connection just enriches it greatly, and from software could do that because they didn't have to worry about 'well what about the guys who aren't paying for the game to access the net?'

    edit: your argument that 'some people still don't have net connections' doesn't really work because what i'm talking about is real. it exists in a lot of ps3 games. it takes guts for a developer to do it because yeah, some people will miss out a bit, but not having to worry about paying subscriptions is apparently making the decision that much easier that it is happening.

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So what about people who bought Demon's Souls and aren't online? I guess they're shit out of luck? PS3 developers cannot make the assumption that every user will always be connected online either, unless they're making a multiplayer-only game. There are certain realities to deal with, after all. And multiplayer-only games often carry their own online fees. That limits what they can try to, it's really that simple. Why else would Sony offer the option to update PS3s through flash drives?

    they're alright. the single-player is still fine without the connectivity, a net connection just enriches it greatly, and from software could do that because they didn't have to worry about 'well what about the guys who aren't paying for the game to access the net?'

    I see that you don't like the fact that Live costs money, but this example really doesn't illustrate anything. Demon's Souls could have been released on the 360 with the exact same functionality, and there, too, the single player would still be fine without Live connectivity.

    Developers on both consoles cannot assume that the player has network access, regardless of the reason.

    -SPI- wrote: »
    Not enough facepalm in the world for the cavalcade of fuckmuppetry this game's launch has been.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So what about people who bought Demon's Souls and aren't online? I guess they're shit out of luck? PS3 developers cannot make the assumption that every user will always be connected online either, unless they're making a multiplayer-only game. There are certain realities to deal with, after all. And multiplayer-only games often carry their own online fees. That limits what they can try to, it's really that simple. Why else would Sony offer the option to update PS3s through flash drives?

    they're alright. the single-player is still fine without the connectivity, a net connection just enriches it greatly, and from software could do that because they didn't have to worry about 'well what about the guys who aren't paying for the game to access the net?'

    I see that you don't appreciate the fact that Live costs money, but this example really doesn't illustrate anything. Demon's Souls could have been released on the 360 with the exact same functionality, and there, too, the single player would still be fine without Live connectivity.

    Developers on both consoles cannot assume that the player has network access, regardless of the reason.

    I've never played Demon's Souls, but according to Bsjezz's description, the game sounds like it's perfectly playable offline also. Maybe I'm just old-fashion, but frankly, if you have an amazing game that becomes unplayable because you can't access the internet, you have one of two things: an online-only game, or a crappy game that is not all that good in reality.

    I'm guessing that developers typically don't hope for the "best case scenario" when developing, at least in this respect. I mean, Killzone 2 is a lot of fun, but if the game were reliant on the assumption that everyone had headsets and microphones for the multiplayer element, well that would be a very bad assumption to make (versus in Halo 3, where that assumption could be made, with less danger).

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User
    edited November 2009
    To be fair, I do completely understand bsjezz' point - take two people that both have broadband connections, and give one a PS3 and the other a 360. The one with the PS3 is ready to play online, the one with the 360 is not. As broadband use rises, the subscription barrier will become the only barrier to "always-online" functionality. Of course I get that, and I think he is right in that as broadband does become more common, Microsoft will need to reevaluate their network policies for the 360's sunset and/or the next-generation Microsoft console to ensure that they are not limiting developers who want to include this kind of functionality in their games.

    My point is simply that while this scenario is possible, and maybe even commonplace, broadband hasn't yet penetrated to the point where you can take it for granted.

    -SPI- wrote: »
    Not enough facepalm in the world for the cavalcade of fuckmuppetry this game's launch has been.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    To be fair, I do completely understand bsjezz' point - take two people that both have broadband connections, and give one a PS3 and the other a 360. The one with the PS3 is ready to play online, the one with the 360 is not. As broadband use rises, the subscription barrier will become the only barrier to "always-online" functionality. Of course I get that, and I think he is right in that as broadband does become more common, Microsoft will need to reevaluate their network policies for the 360's sunset and/or the next-generation Microsoft console to ensure that they are not limiting developers who want to include this kind of functionality in their games.

    My point is simply that while this scenario is possible, and maybe even commonplace, broadband hasn't yet penetrated to the point where you can take it for granted.

    I would not complain if the XBL Gold fee went away (well, unless I'd just bought a one-year card or something, I suppose), but I don't think that's what's going to happen. More likely, Microsoft will offer more services and options with Gold that PSN doesn't have--hell, two years ago, PSN was a rather pale, weak shadow compared to what it is now, and also compared to XBL Gold or Silver of the time.

    Of course, credit goes to Sony for moving to offer the features offered in Xbox Live--chat windows, an arcade store, Netflix, etc. I remember there was a time where Sony was adamantly declaring that Unified Online Service was a fluke, and would not be featured on the PS3, so they deserve credit for playing the catch-up game (and, in turn, forcing Microsoft to move the carrot a little farther forward).

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I had a PS3 and Demon's Souls, I'd probably log out of the Internet so I don't have to deal with the online component. The last thing I want while playing an extremely hard dungeon crawler is for random people to try to PK me.

  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I had a PS3 and Demon's Souls, I'd probably log out of the Internet so I don't have to deal with the online component. The last thing I want while playing an extremely hard dungeon crawler is for random people to try to PK me.

    it doesn't work quite like that

    your game can't just be 'invaded'

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    If I had a PS3 and Demon's Souls, I'd probably log out of the Internet so I don't have to deal with the online component. The last thing I want while playing an extremely hard dungeon crawler is for random people to try to PK me.

    it doesn't work quite like that

    your game can't just be 'invaded'

    You can be invaded any time (outside of boss battles) if you're in physical form. In soul form, you can only invade other players worlds (to either help or hunt them). But you're completely safe (albeit at the cost of some of your maximum health) in soul form.

    I'll put in another vote for the PS3 if you've got a decent gaming PC. I own all three, but I really just have no reason to turn on the 360 apart from desired exclusives (the last one being Shadow Complex, the next will likely either be Fez or Crackdown 2). LIVE is a better online service by a non-trivial margin, but the PSN has been making small strides to reach parity for a while now. It won't likely ever get there given the architectural differences, but the last couple of PS3 games I played online were nearly pain-free to enjoy.

    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think he refers to the motion sensing. God knows I cursed the world whenever I overshot grenades in Uncharted 1.

    EDIT: Oh and Lair.
    bsjezz wrote: »
    uncharted grenades are perfect

    log walking, on the other hand...

    I just got to the genre shift and it's annoying to try and shake them off and it doesn't work. Grenade arcing is alright, but I keep forgetting that my elbows can bend too to give me more tilt, and log walking is always crappy.

    steam_sig.png

    I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    If I had a PS3 and Demon's Souls, I'd probably log out of the Internet so I don't have to deal with the online component. The last thing I want while playing an extremely hard dungeon crawler is for random people to try to PK me.

    it doesn't work quite like that

    your game can't just be 'invaded'

    You can be invaded any time (outside of boss battles) if you're in physical form. In soul form, you can only invade other players worlds (to either help or hunt them). But you're completely safe (albeit at the cost of some of your maximum health) in soul form.

    wow - i did not know that. i guess you're not in physical form that often though.

    at least not if you suck as bad as me

    sig_zps00ca6d07.jpg
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But even if you are invaded in Demon's Souls you can just summon up some Blue Phantoms to help you out.

    If you lose in a 3v1 fight you didn't deserve your body anyways.

    steam_sig.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    If I had a PS3 and Demon's Souls, I'd probably log out of the Internet so I don't have to deal with the online component. The last thing I want while playing an extremely hard dungeon crawler is for random people to try to PK me.

    it doesn't work quite like that

    your game can't just be 'invaded'

    You can be invaded any time (outside of boss battles) if you're in physical form. In soul form, you can only invade other players worlds (to either help or hunt them). But you're completely safe (albeit at the cost of some of your maximum health) in soul form.

    If that's accurate...that...kind of sucks. I mean, I'm sure there are very good cases to, but this is definitely a bad one. You think they'd include an option to toggle so you don't have to worry about it, period, i.e. Mercenaries 2 or Resident Evil 5.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    If I had a PS3 and Demon's Souls, I'd probably log out of the Internet so I don't have to deal with the online component. The last thing I want while playing an extremely hard dungeon crawler is for random people to try to PK me.

    it doesn't work quite like that

    your game can't just be 'invaded'

    You can be invaded any time (outside of boss battles) if you're in physical form. In soul form, you can only invade other players worlds (to either help or hunt them). But you're completely safe (albeit at the cost of some of your maximum health) in soul form.

    If that's accurate...that...kind of sucks. I mean, I'm sure there are very good cases to, but this is definitely a bad one. You think they'd include an option to toggle so you don't have to worry about it, period, i.e. Mercenaries 2 or Resident Evil 5.

    There is that option. Don't go online.

  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the toggle is dying

    it's probably the easiest toggle to hit in the whole game

    steam_sig.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you are in Soul Form you cannot be invaded. Also, there is not a single portion of the game where you HAVE to be in Body Form to succeed. The only time you'll be in your body is if you just beat a boss, or you are specifically looking for PvP/Coop.

    steam_sig.png
Sign In or Register to comment.