As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got a PS3 -- Now What?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know if this is the right place for it or not, but...

I'm considering getting a PS3, but seeing as I only have an SDTV in my room, and don't want to hook it up to the big TV in the living room (It's a shared TV and I never, ever use it, and pretty much my roommates would have to stare at me playing games they don't care about...) Is there an easy way to hook up a PS3 to my computer monitor? It has DVI and VGA connections.

You can route out the video with a HDMI to DVI cable (like this), but you'll need to figure out something a bit more elaborate for your sound. Your monitor will need to be HDCP compatible.

For audio, you can probably use the composite cables that the system will come with, and convert the audio RCA cable into a 1/4" input and hook that up to speakers. I have not tried this myself, but I think it would work.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    disgaea3a.jpg

Though it never gets much attention here. Either no one here with a PS3 is into Disgaea, or it's just not as good as 2. Still an easy way to kill a few (hundred) hours.

i got it at launch and played it for about 60 hours and then traded it in some months later. definitely a good pickup for a fan of the series. i had a lot of fun with it, but i just couldnt get worked up enough to pump the ridiculous hours into it like i did with 2.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not on the US store at least.

(edit) Not in any region.

WOW, the list of games on there is quite impressive, and some of the titles even had me reaching for my credit card.

And then I noticed that 90% of the cool titles are just in Japan, like the Front Missions, most of the FF games... pretty much any decent RPG thats NOT 7.

It's like... the US got everything that got tagged with the big green 'Greatest Hits' stamp, and hit the $10 bargain bin before the Playstation 2 even came out. And that's all we get.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know if this is the right place for it or not, but...

I'm considering getting a PS3, but seeing as I only have an SDTV in my room, and don't want to hook it up to the big TV in the living room (It's a shared TV and I never, ever use it, and pretty much my roommates would have to stare at me playing games they don't care about...) Is there an easy way to hook up a PS3 to my computer monitor? It has DVI and VGA connections.

You can route out the video with a HDMI to DVI cable (like this), but you'll need to figure out something a bit more elaborate for your sound. Your monitor will need to be HDCP compatible.

For audio, you can probably use the composite cables that the system will come with, and convert the audio RCA cable into a 1/4" input and hook that up to speakers. I have not tried this myself, but I think it would work.

Thanks. Now to just come up with all the cash in one place at once...

freakish light on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    Yeah Demon's Souls is an awesome game if you like a challenge. Its not ball bustingly hard/frustrating as old NES games like Ninja Gaiden where you had like 3 lives and 3 continues. But you do get a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

This is going to be my next purchase. I'm prowling Ebay to see if I can get it cheap. 60 bucks is a lot to pay for self-torture, 45 is more reasonable.

Amazon and Gamestop have been selling it online for 49 bucks, if you're interested. I'm waiting for Best Buy to drop the price so I can use up a gift card and get it even cheaper, but I feel BB will never do so.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah Demon's Souls is an awesome game if you like a challenge. Its not ball bustingly hard/frustrating as old NES games like Ninja Gaiden where you had like 3 lives and 3 continues. But you do get a wonderful sense of accomplishment.

This is going to be my next purchase. I'm prowling Ebay to see if I can get it cheap. 60 bucks is a lot to pay for self-torture, 45 is more reasonable.

Amazon and Gamestop have been selling it online for 49 bucks, if you're interested. I'm waiting for Best Buy to drop the price so I can use up a gift card and get it even cheaper, but I feel BB will never do so.

Grab one of the Best Buy Dragon Ages or Forza's for $34.99 on Black Friday

Take it to Walmart, say you just wanna swap it for another game, brothers birthday, yadda yadda, Walmart is so frickin busy after Thanksgiving they dont give a shit

Swap for Demon Souls

Profit

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll add another infamous vote. Best game ever to break the PS3 in.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »
    I will add to the Heavenly Sword recommendations. We'll probably never get a sequel but I hope Nariko will live on through Enslaved's female lead. :)

Some people say it's too short but personally most games are padded out and too long. I'd love for there to be more 6-8 hour games that mixes up gameplay styles and have high quality acting and writing. DMC4 might have been twice as long but Heavenly Sword was far more memorable and I look back on it with a lot of fondness.

Yes...exactly my experience.

I'll add a conflicting opinion then. (yay!)

I agree with pretty much everything else people have mentioned here, but I couldn't even finish Heavenly Sword, which is pretty bad for a 6-8(?) hour game. Just found the gameplay and story entirely mundane and uninspired...

Yann on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only thing stopping me from beating Heavenly Sword is the absurd final boss difficulty and my unfamiliarity with the controls after not playing it for like a year. Up until then it was a fantastic ride.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I too was pissed off at the final boss in Heavenly Sword. The secret? Counter the ranged attacks. Just like normal enemies, blue = speed stance counter, red = power stance counter.

Just figuring that one, goddamned simple thing out made the fight a breeze.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can't even remember how to counter...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Square/triangle attack. Unmodified, Nariko will attack with two short blades.

Hold down L1, Nariko switches to "range" stance, with the swords on chains.

Hold down R1, she switches to Power stance, attaching the two short blades to form a two-hander.

Nariko will automatically block any light (blue) attacks in Speed (unmodified) stance when she is not attacking. Hit triangle directly after an attack and she will counter it. Hit triangle precisely when an enemy (not a boss) attacks and she will mess the guy up.

Countering heavy (red) attacks works the same way, but Nariko must be in Power (R1) stance to block/counter them.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I might actually attempt that now...

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hillean wrote: »

Take it to Walmart, say you just wanna swap it for another game, brothers birthday, yadda yadda, Walmart is so frickin busy after Thanksgiving they dont give a shit

Swap for Demon Souls

Profit

While I'm not a fan of "scamming" the system, as CAG people call it, I also live in New York City. We don't have Walmarts here, at least not for a little while.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hillean wrote: »

Swap for Demon Souls

Profit

Good advice, but I just won an auction for Demon's Souls for $44, so I'm happy. $35 for Dragon Age is tempting, but I did ask for it for Christmas, and I freaking hate Black Friday (probably because I used to work retail)....

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not loving the absolute shit out of Valkyria Chronicles makes me feel dirty.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    936034_80875.jpg
    Siren: Blood Curse

The most critically-acclaimed survival horror of the current gen, and one of my personal faves. You can import a disc version for the price of a new game from PlayAsia, it's probably possible to find on Ebay, or if you like you can just download the whole thing off the US/Canadian PSN store for $40.

There's a demo, but it doesn't begin to showcase Siren's true strengths.

This is an awful game. It's one of the most horrible looking games I've ever played, has terrible animations and controls plus jumps around completely nonsensically story wise, which I find absolutely immersion breaking compared to a GOOD survival horror game like Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3. I have no idea why people keep heaping praise onto this absolute turd of a game. It was the biggest waste of money and bandwidth cap I've ever bought. The other games listed are really good, but this is an awful game. People around here really hyped me up on this game and it was the 3rd game I bought for my PS3 as a result. It subsequently turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments I've ever played. I just cannot fathom or understand the praise the game gets to be honest.

Personally in terms of PS3 games I would recommend most of the same things everyone else would.

Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are just brilliant games (Uncharted is a really good step up from the first game even!).

Demon Souls is fantastic, even if it does have a sadistic difficulty curve.

Valkyria Chronicles is also fantastic, with a great amount of depth and is extremely satisfying when you pull off a perfect plan. Sadly, most ways of getting an "A" rank involve being as cheap as possible rather than good solid strategy - but it is still one of my favourite games this generation.

Infamous is really good for anyone who likes open world GTA style games. I suggest being evil as it's a lot more amusing.

Heavenly Sword is am amusing 5 hours of hitting the triangle button and is probably worth getting if you can find it cheap. The cutscenes completely make the game, with one in particular being extremely funny. As a game though it's actually not great at all and was absolutely criminal at full price when it was originally released. But I found this for $20 NZ and it was a really solid introduction to my PS3. If I had paid full price I would have felt very ripped off though, but it's definitely worth getting now as it's really cheap.

I'll also throw in recommendations for both Resistance Fall of Man and its sequel. I really enjoyed these games (especially the sequel). Maybe I am more ameniable to console based FPS games these days, but I had loads of fun shooting monsters in the face and it's a lot more fun than Killzone 2 anyday (IMO).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My favorite games for the PS3 so far:

Uncharted 2
    Uncharted
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Assassin's Creed 2
    MGS4

I played Valkyria Chronicles and LittleBigPlanet and GTA IV and disliked all 3, so just be aware that you might not like these games despite all the praise they receive here.

Will be getting Demon's Souls and inFamous for Christmas, we'll see if all the praise they've been receiving here was worth it :)

hottoq on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    PS3 was lead platform for Burnout Paradise. It's great.

fucking hate burnout paradise. I loved all the others, but having to drive around like aretard in acity and possibly getting lost on the city is ANNOYING. I liked burnout because it was so pop in and play.

Well, littlebigplanet is nothing special IN MY OPINION. Its a platformer where you can jump, thats it. Its boring you are better off downloading dsome classic platformers like donkey kong country /mario and stuff.

Uncharted 2 i believe is very good, everything about it is good. I recommend being a cheap asshole like me and buying:

Brutal Legend
    Batman
    assasins creed
    gta4

One by one right, then return them in a week when you are bored. You will be able to cycle through all those games in a week and get bored and get your money sback like a pro.

doit!

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

fucking hate burnout paradise. I loved all the others, but having to drive around like aretard in acity and possibly getting lost on the city is ANNOYING. I liked burnout because it was so pop in and play.

Well, littlebigplanet is nothing special IN MY OPINION. Its a platformer where you can jump, thats it. Its boring you are better off downloading dsome classic platformers like donkey kong country /mario and stuff.

Uncharted 2 i believe is very good, everything about it is good. I recommend being a cheap asshole like me and buying:

Brutal Legend
    Batman
    assasins creed
    gta4

One by one right, then return them in a week when you are bored. You will be able to cycle through all those games in a week and get bored and get your money sback like a pro.

doit!

If you think littlebigplanet is nothing special you have never played it with 3+ friends (while drunk/high). I have never laughed so much in my entire life from just playing a video game.

Yann on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    936034_80875.jpg
    Siren: Blood Curse

The most critically-acclaimed survival horror of the current gen, and one of my personal faves.
    *snip*
    There's a demo, but it doesn't begin to showcase Siren's true strengths.

This is an awful game. It's one of the most horrible looking games I've ever played, has terrible animations and controls plus jumps around completely nonsensically story wise, which I find absolutely immersion breaking compared to a GOOD survival horror game like Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3. I have no idea why people keep heaping praise onto this absolute turd of a game. It was the biggest waste of money and bandwidth cap I've ever bought. The other games listed are really good, but this is an awful game. People around here really hyped me up on this game and it was the 3rd game I bought for my PS3 as a result. It subsequently turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments I've ever played. I just cannot fathom or understand the praise the game gets to be honest.

I stand by my appraisal.

Siren is a game you can't really wrap your head around until you've beaten it. I'm not saying "it sucks until you get to the last level and then you realize it doesn't actually suck," but if you never got past the fourth chapter, you never saw what the game really has to offer.

I'm not saying you didn't give it a chance - you did, and it failed to get its hooks into you, which is totally fair. But you never saw the game as a whole picture. Imho (and perhaps, only in my humble opinion) it's brilliant, and it is the most critically acclaimed survival horror of the current gen.

Sure, the only other three games in its genre are Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill: Homecoming and Alone In The Dark, but it still stands. It's hardly perfect - I don't think its Metacritic score breaks 80 - but I love it.

It's a really smart, intensely creepy game with what are easily my favorite variation on the zombie, and the simple fact that it combines the stealth genre with horror is wicked.

Edit: Also, some people (not me) love LBP. I've bought my older brother BioShock, loaned him Uncharted and Batman: Arkham Asylum, and he hasn't beaten any of them. He brought back Uncharted before he got to The Twist. All he plays is LBP.

I like LBP, but if I were re-buying my games library it would be somewhere near the bottom of the list, next to Stranglehold.

Chance on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ratchet & Clank: Future, both of them.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Chance wrote:
    and it is the most critically acclaimed survival horror of the current gen.

Being the least terrible out of a bunch of terrible games isn't a ringing endorsement.

I got up to chapter 8 before I finally gave up on it. I never bothered finishing it because A) It sucked horribly B) It looked terrible (dear Gods my eyes) C) It was wasting a huge amount of bandwidth cap that could be used for other, far superior games. One day I might bother downloading the rest, but I highly doubt it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So what's the deal with Flower? It's on sale along with a few other PSN games, and I keep hearing how awesome it is. But is it just shiny and pretty?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    So what's the deal with Flower? It's on sale along with a few other PSN games, and I keep hearing how awesome it is. But is it just shiny and pretty?

I is very shiny and pretty - my brother tells me it's 1080p - but I also found it to have a lot of emotional kick to it. It's also a very short experience, I'm not sure if you'd say it's worth ten bucks, but I definitely like having it in my library.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Depends if you read meaning into everything. You could take a profound experience from it, or just see it as flying some petals around a pretty environment.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Depends if you read meaning into everything. You could take a profound experience from it, or just see it as flying some petals around a pretty environment.

Yep, pretty much.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well now it's 5 bucks.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

o_O Going by your grammar, you must already do that a lot.
    This is an awful game. It's one of the most horrible looking games I've ever played, has terrible animations and controls

What exactly do you expect from a game that sold at half the normal retail price? If anything, I wish more developers would stop trying to compete with the big guns (IW, Naughty Dog, etc) and would focus a bit more on smaller, less polished games that are actually unique.

cooljammer: Flower's amazing.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yes go by my grammar. Look, if you want a burnout experience i recommend takedown or revenge. Littlebigplanet is a platformer where you jump and thats it, absolutely nothing awsome about it. Just go play new super mario bros.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yes go by my grammar. Look, if you want a burnout experience i recommend takedown or revenge.

I still prefer Burnout 2 from the track based Burnout games. But Paradise is in no way bad. It's excellent in fact. If you got lost in it, you have a lousy sense of direction, and you've probably got more navigational problems than just in open world video games.
    Littlebigplanet is a platformer where you jump and thats it, absolutely nothing awsome about it. Just go play new super mario bros.

Only if you ignore the creator and the community. In which case, you completely missed the point of the game anyway.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If anything, I wish more developers would stop trying to compete with the big guns (IW, Naughty Dog, etc) and would focus a bit more on smaller, less polished games that are actually unique.

Shadow Complex is a good example of that, but it also manages to have a great deal of polish to its gameplay. So is the likes of Critter crunch, which is an extremely fun game and I think is one of the more amusing games I've downloaded. None of this, especially the word "Polished" describes Siren at all.

Returing to your first point.
    What exactly do you expect from a game that sold at half the normal retail price?

Something that doesn't suck? There are a lot of nice, cheap games you can download over PSN and such that are great fun and provide hours of entertainment (Critter Crunch) and they cost you virtually nothing to boot. Siren is not one of these games, given that many of its initial scenarios last about as long as it takes to turn on and off the console.

BTW, Critter Crunch is a really great puzzle game actually and is dirt cheap from PSN. Highly recommended that one.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ratchet & Clank: Future, both of them.
    Also Quest for Booty. That's a lot of content for 10 bucks.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, pretty much all of the Ratchet & Clank stuff is must buy if you like platforming and awesome guns.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Shadow Complex is a good example of that, but it also manages to have a great deal of polish to its gameplay. So is the likes of Critter crunch, which is an extremely fun game and I think is one of the more amusing games I've downloaded. None of this, especially the word "Polished" describes Siren at all.

Returing to your first point.
    No, those are terrible examples. I'm not talking about really small games, there are already plenty of those on both the PSN and XBLA. I'm talking about games that are in the mid-range between the small games and the huge ones that cost $20+ million (like Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, AC2, etc).
    Something that doesn't suck? There are a lot of nice, cheap games you can download over PSN and such that are great fun and provide hours of entertainment (Critter Crunch) and they cost you virtually nothing to boot. Siren is not one of these games, given that many of its initial scenarios last about as long as it takes to turn on and off the console.

BTW, Critter Crunch is a really great puzzle game actually and is dirt cheap from PSN. Highly recommended that one.

No shit Siren isn't one of those games, it was never trying to be.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm failing to see how this excuses it from being pretty poor, given that it was primarily a downloadable game I'm going to compare it with other things available to download - which are indeed smaller. But size doesn't equal quality at all, especially as I think the first segment of Siren is roughly 490 odd megs and you get literally 10 minutes out gameplay out of it (it gets better after a few episodes, but they are really short and not very good individually anyway). Given that it doesn't even stack up for quality and value vs. those games (which again are cheaper, better made and more fun), I don't see it faring any better against actual releases.
    Yeah, pretty much all of the Ratchet & Clank stuff is must buy if you like platforming and awesome guns.

I've only just started playing the PS3 Ratchet and Clank games and thus far they are very fun. It helps that I recently played through all the PS2 Ratchet and Clank games as well, so I've been playing a lot of Ratchet and Clank lately. So far the next gen versions are stacking up pretty well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm failing to see how this excuses it from being pretty poor, given that it was primarily a downloadable game I'm going to compare it with other things available to download - which are indeed smaller. But size doesn't equal quality at all, especially as I think the first segment of Siren is roughly 490 odd megs and you get literally 10 minutes out gameplay out of it (it gets better after a few episodes, but they are really short and not very good individually anyway). Given that it doesn't even stack up for quality and value vs. those games (which again are cheaper, better made and more fun), I don't see it faring any better against actual releases.

And yet there are people in this very thread that like it. Just because you didn't like it, doesn't suddenly make it a bad game. In other words, your opinion != fact.

Also, if I directly compared all my games (let alone just my downloadable ones) to each other, pretty much all of them wouldn't be worth it. I got Orange Box off Steam for NZ$15.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    yes go by my grammar. Look, if you want a burnout experience i recommend takedown or revenge.

I still prefer Burnout 2 from the track based Burnout games. But Paradise is in no way bad. It's excellent in fact. If you got lost in it, you have a lousy sense of direction, and you've probably got more navigational problems than just in open world video games.
    Littlebigplanet is a platformer where you jump and thats it, absolutely nothing awsome about it. Just go play new super mario bros.

Only if you ignore the creator and the community. In which case, you completely missed the point of the game anyway.

the point is that there is bloody navigation in it, and i dont like it. I think its a bad game that you start racing and can get lost. Its pretty much midtown madness on roids (but midtown madness was awsome) When i was playing littlebigplant and making levels, sure it was OK, nothing spectacular. Log in to look for some levels, and i had to wade through tons and tons of shit to find any good stuff.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    GET Valkyria Chronicles OR I WILL CUT YOU

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR

GET IT NOW

Fixed

Rent on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

edit: That's an epic list. I just popped into the store to check out the Valkyria demo. I want to see what the big deal is.

Well, see, it's the best, most beautiful RPG for this gen, bar one maybe (Demon's Souls)

Plus, it has motherfucking Vyse in it

Also, it's a good Sega game, a relative rarity these days. I mean, that must count for something

Rent on