Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Welcome! - Information for Artists and Critics Posting in This Forum

beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
edited April 24 in Artist's Corner
Hello, welcome to the AC.

This subforum is dedicated to posting your own artwork that you've made in the hopes to receive constructive criticism on the works you've done.

The goal of this forum is to continue to build a network of artists and art lovers who help each other achieve their artistic goals and improve their skills.

New threads are to be used only to showcase your own personal artwork that you want advice, criticism, and feedback on. This includes any type of visual or audio art.

While the forum is currently predominantly illustration, other forms of art such as music, animation, and film are welcome to be posted.

If you are unsure if what you want to post would be appropriate, please contact a moderator first and they will gladly help.

What is constructive criticism?
Spoiler:

Help us cater to your artistic needs and goals.
Spoiler:

How do you respond to criticism?

Spoiler:

More on giving and receiving critiques:
Spoiler:

Catering your critiques:
Spoiler:

beavotron on
TherianOmega

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What sort of jobs are available for artists?
    Spoiler:

Do I have to go to school if I want to be a professional artist? If so, what school is best?
    Spoiler:

The consequences of being egotistical.
    Spoiler:

Have Fun!
    Spoiler:

edited November 2009
    Challenging Yourself to Become a Better Artist (by Rahll on Deviantart)
    Spoiler:

• BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can only assume that this is tantamount to a "Please read before posting" sticky, that has yet to be stickied.

Good initiative, Beavs. But if I have to say anything its this...
    beavotron wrote: »

While the forum is predominantly illustration, other forms of art such as music, animation, and film may be posted, but do not expect the same level of expertise and feedback as other threads.

That might merit some tweaking.
    It sounds mildly alienating, and a tad disrespectful to our fellow, active members who do excel at non-illustrative artwork. It makes it sound like its a sub-culture of sorts around here. I'll grant you that the number of members around here with experience and expertise in those areas are few in number, but they are in no way limited in terms of information, skill, and feedback than anyone in illustration.

A little careful rewording goes a hell of a long way in inspiring lurkers, and fledgling artists in those genres/fields to opening themselves up to our community.

EDIT: Shit. I forgot to mention my overall approval of this thread (as if that merits anything substantial). I think this'll be immensely helpful for newcomers in the future. Kudos, Beavs, for taking the time, and initiative.

edited November 2009
    Obviously.

I was just saying that some general tweaking here or there with the wording could potentially make or break a new member in community.
    You have to admit that a lot of people, fledgling artists in particular, tend to be soft, and sensitive. I just think we need to welcome them and their art with unbiased, open arms, WHILE enforcing the boards rules at the same time. It might seem like a minor detail, and maybe it is, but I think its worth looking at is all I'm saying. Its hard to find anyone seeking out help, guidance, and support who already has a thick skin. Those types are usually arrogant, and don't tend to mesh well here.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Psst, you forgot about Mars in your list of mods.

• bombardierbombardier mr. mully Vancouver, BCSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    This thread is completely open to feedback and discussion of what is posted in the op. Also, white noise posts and anything that has nothing to do with the discussion of the content in the OP will be deleted.
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    Obviously.

I was just saying that some general tweaking here or there with the wording could potentially make or break a new member in community.
    You have to admit that a lot of people, fledgling artists in particular, tend to be soft, and sensitive. I just think we need to welcome them and their art with unbiased, open arms, WHILE enforcing the boards rules at the same time. It might seem like a minor detail, and maybe it is, but I think its worth looking at is all I'm saying. Its hard to find anyone seeking out help, guidance, and support who already has a thick skin. Those types are usually arrogant, and don't tend to mesh well here.

I changed that line, you're right. It was more a reaction to people posting stuff not the norm and getting irritated that there is a lack of feedback. You get what you get, basically.

edited November 2009
    That's just the kind of quick, helpful feedback and response newcomers can expect from the PA:AC!

*nudge nudge, grin grin, wink wink*:o

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    This is awesome! You should probably link to the Questions/Discussion thread to help clarify that new threads aren't for minor questions. Maybe even clarify the difference between the chat thread and the questions thread for newbs.

I don't have too much to add other than that, looks pretty damn solid.

lma_iphone_icon.pngAA_iphone_icon.pngtwittersolid.pngtumbrsolid.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    This is a really solid sticky. I may start a thread here again.

• TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A few examples of the major genres might help the confused amateur better describe or find his goals.

edited November 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    A few examples of the major genres might help the confused amateur better describe his goals.

oh like styles you mean?
    realism/anime/comicking, that sort of thing?

iruka: good idea, i'll edit in somewhere to join in the chat thread, that'll get more artists joining in on our general discussion and actually making friends/connections with us all.

edited November 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    A few examples of the major genres might help the confused amateur better describe his goals.

oh like styles you mean?
    realism/anime/comicking, that sort of thing?

yep

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Sweet. I guess while defining threads, you may as well talk about the difference between the doodle thread an normal threads. I could see it being kinda confusing with the amount of finished/time intensive non-doodles that get posted in there.

lma_iphone_icon.pngAA_iphone_icon.pngtwittersolid.pngtumbrsolid.png
    edited November 2009
    added iruka's changes

tam: i'm gonna talk to bombs about the addition of styles and stuff, that's sort of a tricky one to put to words, there are so many styles within the genres, i tend to think style just sort of happens naturally, and is a combination of all sorts of influences on an artist, but i can also see some benefit to posting examples to like...major genres too

edited November 2009
    Well

You might have a bunch of unlabeled images and have them pick a few to show the general direction they'd like to go

maybe it is too ponderous- never mind

edited November 2009
    Well

You might have a bunch of unlabeled images and have them pick a few to show the general direction they'd like to go

maybe it is too ponderous- never mind

it's also very limiting considering the sheer number of artistic genres
    we're trying to involve all visual arts as well as audio in this

i feel like if an artist just shows us a sample of what they like, we can get enough out of that to help them out.
    some artists will be able to show us with no problems what they like without really consciously knowing what genre it is.

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, this is the best "forum rules" post I have ever seen.

You might want to add something about the [NSFW] tag.

• ChurchesWifeChurchesWife Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Why does it seem that "art" as it pertains to this forum is all drawing/painting/digital?

No musicians on PA? I was going to put up a few covers I recorded (because sadly, I'm a singer... and as such, only kind of an artist), but it seems like this just isn't the place?

Am I wrong? So little of it that I haven't seen?

Or is this simply not the place?

Call me Ze.

achievementhunter.com/ChurchsWife
    Twitter.com/ChurchesWife
  • DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    We do get musicians from time to time and this is as close to "the place for it" as you're likely to find on the forums. The only problem is that because so many of us are visual artists and so few of us are musicians, you're not likely to get much in the way of useful feedback.

I'm still waiting for someone to start an interpretive dance thread...

• srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I might be completely wrong, but I have a feeling that there's less of an online community for musicians anywhere because it's difficult to "critique" music. It becomes a lot more subjective at a certain point, since many bands aren't really concerned with being good technical musicians, and the people interested in technique generally go to school and get critiqued by instructors or in tutoring.

Basically, successful modern musicians don't rely on skill to be popular as much as they do on originality and creativity. That's why you're probably not going to get many comments if you post music on here, even from fellow musicians. I don't feel like I've seen any common platform on which people discuss modern songs in a technical sense (a lot of bands make pretty basic music when it comes to technique), though I'm sure it happens in recording studios and band rooms. Does that make sense?

BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited November 2009
    Erisian pope gave me some awesome links about taking and giving crits, I posted them in the OP
    thanks EP!

edited November 2009
    added a truckload of inspiration, courtesy of http://rahll.deviantart.com

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think something the QA thread or some other sticky has been lacking for a long time is some kind of go-to "So you want to learn how to draw" post that outlines the general idea of building a solid set of foundational skills as a springboard to moving on to more ambitious work.

Basically I think there needs to be a post that we can refer total beginners to instead of telling them to go pick up Drawing on the Left Side of the Brain, since I've written that post enough times in my life, and I'm sure many others have.

I don't know if it would seem too dismissive though to just link somebody to a post instead of writing the exact same information out to them and individualizing it.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    this has been so painfully overdue

nice work

• CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User
    edited November 2009
    A link to the inspiration thread would be pretty cool and useful, I imagine.

Edit: Wait, it doesn't seem to exist anymore. Maybe that should be resurrected.

edited November 2009
    i am going to reorganize the q/d thread soonish scos, make it juicy
    so if you have suggestions for it, post in there and i will add.

• bombardierbombardier mr. mully Vancouver, BCSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Everybody worship your new overlord and diety:

beavomod.png

edited November 2009
    first order of business: the bannening.

edited November 2009
    All hail Beavotron: Bringer of Order

Striker-Downer of Not-Order

• DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
  • NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    guys are you sure beavotron is qualified to be a moderator

i mean

has she ever even posted her work

I bet all she draws is furry stuff.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is an interesting development. I fully anticipate my first infraction in the very near future.

edited November 2009
    I am infracting cake for assuming I would infract him

edited November 2009
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    this is awesome

raneasig.png
    edited November 2009
    Man, following these new regulations is going to be difficult. I can't just tell beavotron she's awesome any more. She might infract me.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    we need more glowing praise
    more adjectives or infracted

raneasig.png
  • NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the end is nigh

rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif
    edited November 2009
    inertia is a property of matter

edited November 2009
    Being nice to people isn't going to earn you an infraction. If other people have offered up constructive crits and I feel someone deserves praise, I dish it out. I will probably rarely use the infractions. Only assholes who treat people badly will get those.
    Shit I'll have to infract myself way too much if telling people I like their stuff gets me infracted :(