As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My poor ignored Wii. Help it!

• The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mine buzzsaw'd for awhile, but after a couple months it just....stopped.

The Last Gent on
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you enjoyed the original Punch-Out!, you owe it to yourself to get the Wii version. It really is superb.

Billmaan on
  • thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seconding Muramasa. It's good if you like your 2D action games, and it looks beautiful. De Blob is also stylish and fun. First party games you probably don't even need us to tell you about, but Metroid: Other M is looking very promising.

Also, if you really like rhythm games and find turntablism interesting, DJ Hero is solid, if a bit pricey.

thepizzaelemental on
    MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Mine buzzsaw'd for awhile, but after a couple months it just....stopped.

Like broke dick dead, or fixed itself. It's getting louder :x

psychotix on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No I mean it stopped buzzing and works fine now. I didn't play it for awhile but it got better. I moved it around so it wasn't touching anything, blew inside it, I don't remember if that fixed it or not. It just was fine after awhile.

Anyways reccomendations.

Go on the goddamn Virtual Console. There's a ton of stuff there. Unless you were a mega millionaire as a kid, I 100 percent guarantee that there are consoled on there you didn't own, and there's at least a couple gems for each. Do the research before purchasing is my only warning though.

The Last Gent on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some anti-recommendations:

Super Paper Mario isn't very good. Sure, it starts out good and enjoyable, but after about a third of the way through, you've seen all of its tricks, and it just becomes really tedious.

Boy & his Blob is really slow paced, even for a puzzle/platformer. If that doesn't bother you, great, go for it, but otherwise stay far away. Also, the gameplay style is very different than the original so keep that in mind as well (original - one big level, limited jelly beans; Wii game - many smaller levels, unlimited jelly beans).

As a result of Metroid Prime Trilogy's existence, the used game value of the individual Metroid Prime games plummeted so you might be better off just picking up the games individually (note: you can safely skip MP2).

Some recommendations:

If you're a Resident Evil fan & light gun fan, you need to pick up Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles. I've been playing through Darkside Chronicles of late and it's great fun and a big improvement over UC (which is still a good game) as long as you're fine with the shaky cam style.

If you like old school JRPGs, FF4: After Years is a must-play. Lots of fun and very long if you're thorough albeit a bit on the expensive side for a download title.

There are a ton of great Virtual Console & WiiWare titles to download. http://vc.nintendolife.com/ is pretty reliable for finding out what's good and what can be skipped.

RainbowDespair on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For clarification, Super Paper Mario is a very fun Platformer/RPG hybrid with an interesting 2-d to 3-d mechanic that is hampered by a boat load of dialogue that isn't needed as well as some lackluster areas toward the end of the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Billmaan wrote: »
    If you enjoyed the original Punch-Out!, you owe it to yourself to get the Wii version. It really is superb.

I completely forgot about it, but yes. Punch-Out is so good.

SteevL on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Klonoa was a really fun rental for me, but it just didn't have enough meat on it to warrant a purchase. It was my first experience with the game, and they did a fantastic job re-doing everything from what I saw of the PSX version.

As for WiiWare titles, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People was five installments of pure point & click adventure puzzle goodness. Speaking of Telltale, if you haven't played Sam & Max Season One on the PC, do yourself a favor and pick it up on the Wii. I've heard that Konami's "Rebirth" series of amped-up classic franchises (Gradius and Contra so far, with Castlevania: The Adventure coming soon) have been really good, so that should fill any 2-d side scrolling fan's needs nicely.

Grimthwacker on
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's not enough Little King's Story love in this thread.

For puzzle games, WiiWare is where it's at. Toki Tori is excellent. LIT is decent. The ArtStyle games are mostly great.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, World of Goo is on WiiWare. slash recommended it already, but there's no harm in recommending it again.

I have it on PC and it's excellent. I finally saw the WiiWare version the other night and it didn't look any different. There's a demo available now too.

SteevL on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SteevL wrote: »
    Also, World of Goo is on WiiWare. slash recommended it already, but there's no harm in recommending it again.

I have it on PC and it's excellent. I finally saw the WiiWare version the other night and it didn't look any different. There's a demo available now too.

The Wiiware version is marginally better since you can co-op!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some recommendations:

If you're a Resident Evil fan & light gun fan, you need to pick up Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles. I've been playing through Darkside Chronicles of late and it's great fun and a big improvement over UC (which is still a good game) as long as you're fine with the shaky cam style.

Is it worth the price of admission, though? Darkside Chronicles is $50, and I can't imagine a light gun game having much worth beyond two or three playthroughs.

Also, is it playable without a gun attachment? I know you can play it without the attachment, but is there a big difference between having a gun accessory and not having one?

(Sorry for all the questions, but I am in a similar position to the OP. I haven't played my Wii in almost a year and am looking to start up again with some new games.)

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Umbrella Chronicles took like over 10 hours to play through the first go, iirc. And then you had lots of extra levels to unlock. And then you could play levels taking different paths. And then you could spend time A or S-ranking missions. And then you could spend time unlock bonus items and maxing out weapons. And then you could play through in Coop with a friend at least once.

Yeah, these Resident Evil light gunners actually have a substantial amount of content, really.

Plus they're really well done in terms of keeping things interesting. It's not just about shoot shoot shoot at anything that moves, you really gotta balance ammo versus the threat, and you're rewarded for taking precision aim over spray and pray. Plus you have multiple weapons/grenades and can set up your weapon load out to tackle each mission how you best see fit.

As far as gun attachments go, I've never played it without one, but for the Resi Evil lightgun games I don't consider it as crucial to have as, say, HOTD 2+3 or HOTDOK, or for Ghost Squad. The reason being that RE:UC and perhaps RE:DSC, I dont think there's an option for 1:1 calibration, so the gunshells only serve the purpose of making the act of aiming and shooting accurately more comfortable. But again, I've never even played any of my lightguners on the Wii without either my Zapper or Perfect Shot.

slash000 on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    3 pages and no mention of Excite Truck. Heathens!

LewieP on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some recommendations:

Is it worth the price of admission, though? Darkside Chronicles is $50, and I can't imagine a light gun game having much worth beyond two or three playthroughs.

Also, is it playable without a gun attachment? I know you can play it without the attachment, but is there a big difference between having a gun accessory and not having one?

(Sorry for all the questions, but I am in a similar position to the OP. I haven't played my Wii in almost a year and am looking to start up again with some new games.)

I've never played either game with a gun attachment so yes, it's very playable without.

As for price of admission, both games have a ton of levels and a lot of replayability. They have a ton more content than any arcade light gun game. Darkside Chronicles, for example, has 20 main levels (each of which is likely to last you 10-20 minutes your first time through), many of which have alternate paths. Plus there are 4 difficulty levels, hidden archive items, achievements, online high score tables, and even a few hidden modes & levels.

RainbowDespair on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    3 pages and no mention of Excite Truck. Heathens!

I did say I used my Wii up until the release of Super Mario Galaxy ;)

And cheers for all the suggestions thus far folks, I am checking this, just had a really, really busy day.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    I'm disappointed, Slash. I thought that of all people here you would back me up on Jungle Beat. :P

Oooh yeah, I keep forgetting that they remade that game for the Wii. :^:

Going to bed now, catching up on all this tomorrow but I have to say I've got this sat not too far away from me right now with a pair of bongos next to it. Could never get behind a Wii-remake that WASN'T bongo compatible.

Mr_Grinch on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jungle Beat is a million times better with the drums. Gamecube version is the way to go.

LewieP on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is it possible to take some save files home on an SD card for the holidays?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    For clarification, Super Paper Mario has very entertaining dialogue and commentary on game tropes that are hampered by a Platformer/RPG hybrid style with boring gameplay and underutilized 2-d to 3-d mechanic as well as lackluster areas for most of the game.

:)
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Little King's Story is indeed fantastic. Whereas people liked to remark that Pikmin was the tech demo for this game, I don't think LKS's gameplay is as fun as Pikmin, since you generally just stand and spam units. Regardless, it's a really endearing game with a fun set of characters and creative encounters, and it's one of the finest games on the Wii.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    For clarification, Super Paper Mario has very entertaining dialogue and commentary on game tropes that are hampered by a Platformer/RPG hybrid style with boring gameplay and underutilized 2-d to 3-d mechanic as well as lackluster areas for most of the game.

:)
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Little King's Story is indeed fantastic. Whereas people liked to remark that Pikmin was the tech demo for this game, I don't think LKS's gameplay is as fun as Pikmin, since you generally just stand and spam units. Regardless, it's a really endearing game with a fun set of characters and creative encounters, and it's one of the finest games on the Wii.

Heh - I always found it funny that LKS and Overlord copied so many aspects of the Pikmin 'genre' - I thought it was waaaay too distinctive and weird to spawn anything, but here we are.

In games terms, it's...largely down to genre preference. I can heartily recommend Boom Blox and the sequel (Bash Party) - despite the box art looking like the cheapest mini-game shovelware imaginable, they're some of the most content-rich and satisying games you can own on the Wii - and they're now about £10 each. Also have fantastic multiplayer.

If you want something pretty damn different, there's Endless Ocean - swimming aroung a vast ocean space, tickling the fishies, diving into a nightmarish inky-black crevasse with Giant Squids for company... Suffers from a lack of structure, but it's a totally different experience, and cheap to boot.

I'm sure you're aware, but the Wii's basically the home of the modern lightgun shooter now - certainly the 'long form' ones. House of the Dead: Overkill and the RE games are all great but very distinct - the former being relentless bad taste and gore explosions and the latter being...well, Resident Evil. Dead Space: Extraction is suprisingly brilliant too - I initially dismissed it as a quick cash-in, but it somehow manages to be meatily satisfying, retain the horror-pacing and doesn't look half bad either.

No More Heroes and MadWorld are both...interesting. If the concepts and notion of physicality interest you, you'll probably be able to get over their respective quirks. And again, cheap - noticing a pattern here? At least in the UK, most of the non-Nintendo quality games hit the £10 mark within months...

I assume if you had any interest in it you'd own Okami by now, but if not then definitely worth checking out. Be warned, it's...long.

Bioptic on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Little King's Story is the best non-Mario-Galaxy game on the system.

Xagarath on
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you've played and enjoyed Another Code/Trace Memory or Hotel Dusk on the DS then I'd recommend Another Code R on the Wii.

Cullen on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some anti-recommendations:

Super Paper Mario isn't very good. Sure, it starts out good and enjoyable, but after about a third of the way through, you've seen all of its tricks, and it just becomes really tedious.

I've had that game for 3 years and I've still not finished it because it gets pretty boring after a certain point. I'm going to force myself to go through it eventually, but I've forgotten entirely how to play it after this long. It doesn't have anywhere near the charm or gameplay as Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door IMO.

Personally I don't use my Wii very much but there have been some neat games that I've been playing a lot:

Little King Story is really good, probably the best game on the system that isn't Nintendo. It's an interesting puzzle/RPG type game that has amused me for hours now.

Mad World is very violent and gory, personally I get more out of the completely absurd commentary than the violence (the gameplay isn't really all that amazing, if entertaining but you have to be a bit of a gore fiend to appreciate this game to the fullest IMO).

I also liked No More Heroes, but I can understand why people wouldn't like it given the relatively repetitive side missions.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My Wii library is way, way too huge, and could be easily trimmed down to just contain:

No More Heroes
    Resident Evil 4
    Mario Galaxy
    Mario Kart
    Wii Sports Resort
    WarioWare Smooth Moves

Those are the best of the best, in my opinion...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    CRAP HARVEST MOON

There's Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade out now. Tree of Tranquility is harder but looks better, however, it's only hard because you need these random items to make Rainbow bridges and those items are only obtainable during certain seasons so you may have to wait an in game year to get to the ability to make them again.

Animal Parade is easier but has more to do in the non-storyline (you have to ring 5 bells to make the Harvest God return) but the frame rate is crap this time and the world is pretty dull design wise. Gameplay wise, tho, it's slightly better.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2009
    Is Wii Sports Resorts worth the price of entry? (Game + Additional Motion Plus)

I forgot about LittleKingStory, when I used to use my Wii more I saw a preview for it and it looked awesome.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WiiSports Resort is more of a fully fleshed out game than the original was. Most of the games are fun, with a few lousy games in there. Plus each sport has a set achievements to earn....it has alot of replay value for the money.

Plus it's a blast with friends.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited November 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I forgot about LittleKingStory, when I used to use my Wii more I saw a preview for it and it looked awesome.

Yes, Wii Sports Resort is really cool and fun. I don't know how long it would last you though, it's not like NSMB where it's got a great single player campaign in addition to the multiplayer goodness...WSR doesn't have a lot of incentive for single player. Plane flying is awesome and will take you an afternoon to totally finish. Archery should last a good while to find the secret targets, golf and swordfighting are great too. Mostly it's like Wii Sports in terms of single player though.

EDIT: I did forget the achievements. There's that.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

It's the best party game ever. Just kinda depends on how often you have people over who would be into that kind of thing.

Hockey Johnston on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, Wii Sports Resort is really cool and fun. I don't know how long it would last you though, it's not like NSMB where it's got a great single player campaign in addition to the multiplayer goodness...WSR doesn't have a lot of incentive for single player. Plane flying is awesome and will take you an afternoon to totally finish. Archery should last a good while to find the secret targets, golf and swordfighting are great too. Mostly it's like Wii Sports in terms of single player though.

EDIT: I did forget the achievements. There's that.

There are secret targets in archery?

Wii Sports Resort is easily worth it, though you need a second Motion+ to get the most out of it (I got my second one from Tiger Woods, but honestly the golf in WSR is good enough and I don't play Tiger all that often). The golf, tennis (now table tennis) and bowling are greatly improved over Wii Sports, and the sword fights, archery, water sports, plane dogfighting are all very well implemented and fun to play.

Darian on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    (I got my second one from Tiger Woods, but honestly the golf in WSR is good enough and I don't play Tiger all that often).

I've had the opposite experience. WSR golf is a neat tech demo, Tiger Woods is amazing.

Hockey Johnston on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    (I got my second one from Tiger Woods, but honestly the golf in WSR is good enough and I don't play Tiger all that often).

I've had the opposite experience. WSR golf is a neat tech demo, Tiger Woods is amazing.

I agree that Tiger Woods is much better than WSR golf, but I just don't have the urge to play golf all that much. Hence the good enough; when you want to play a couple holes with a family member and WSR is already up and running...

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    There are secret targets in archery?
    Don't watch the whole video if you don't want to be spoiled, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSdmZ2u5aPk&feature=related

UncleSporky on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Jungle Beat is a million times better with the drums. Gamecube version is the way to go.

Hell no, the Wii remake is way better. More precise controls for awesome combos, better life mechanics, and still the feeling of bashing aroung at various points with waggle.

EDIT: Also, Grinch, YES, WSR is easily worth the price of admission. Disc throw and disc golf alone make it really fun to play 2-4 players, but then you add Archery and we're making magic. Swordfight is a divided opinion, many people love it, many think it's not all that. Personally, I think it's pretty great.

Djiem on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Perhaps my taste has waned, but I've just got House of the Dead 2 + 3, and I love it. It was only £10 and came with a Wii Zapper. Nice.

I'd also like to go with A Boy & His Blob as many have said.

Endless_Serpents on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rune Factory Frontier!

A very overlooked game, Harvest Moon + Zelda pretty much

Snowblindvictim on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wii Sports Resort is a fine game, but I would not recommend it unless you plan on playing it with friends most of the time.

slash000 on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Both Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games on WiiWare are good. My Life as a King and My Life as a Darklord. The latter has a demo available.

Also, Metroid Prime Trilogy.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr