As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pakistan has Blackwater - The role of the PMC

RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Based on several sources linked to both Blackwater and the military intelligence community, The Nation is reporting that Blackwater employees are directing and executing covert military activities inside Pakistan.
Members of an elite division of Blackwater are at the center of a secret program in which they plan targeted assassinations of suspected Taliban and Al Qaeda operatives, "snatch and grabs" of high-value targets and other sensitive action inside and outside Pakistan, an investigation by The Nation has found. The Blackwater operatives also assist in gathering intelligence and help run a secret US military drone bombing campaign.
The military intelligence source also confirmed that Blackwater continues to work for the CIA on its drone bombing program in Pakistan, as previously reported in the New York Times, but added that Blackwater is working on JSOC's drone bombings as well. "It's Blackwater running the program for both CIA and JSOC," said the source. When civilians are killed, "people go, 'Oh, it's the CIA doing crazy shit again unchecked.' Well, at least 50 percent of the time, that's JSOC [hitting] somebody they've identified through HUMINT [human intelligence] or they've culled the intelligence themselves or it's been shared with them and they take that person out and that's how it works."

You can read the entire article here.

So, it looks like we are beginning to use PMCs in full combat operations, admittedly covert, rather than the security and convoy duty that has been SOP up till now. I'm curious if some of the military guys here would care to weigh in on this.

On the one hand, I can see why we would want to avoid having active military operating within Pakistan considering the political climate there. That said, reading the article leaves me with the impression that we have a private contractor performing hit jobs without accountability to the usual military command structure. This is particularly the case considering past incidents with Blackwater and the seriously questionable judgment and legality involved.

So, is it hypocrisy to be reasonably ok with a PMC being employed to secure officials and convoys (as I am) but experience disquiet at the discovery of further, more proactive activities? Both involve what are essentially mercenaries killing the enemy at our employ but the secrecy, accountability issues, and past conduct in relation to this kind of thing is, to me, terrifying.

If we can get results like Nisour Square from convoy duty, what are we looking at with black-ops snatch-and-grab and assassinations?

Raynaga on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man is this stupid. Aren't special forces trained, notably, with the major assumption that they can and will be sent on deniable missions? For exactly these types of operations, but with the benefit that they are accountable to the chain of command.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man is this stupid. Aren't special forces trained, notably, with the major assumption that they can and will be sent on deniable missions? For exactly these types of operations, but with the benefit that they are accountable to the chain of command.

Seriously.

I can see no benefit to using Blackwater that don't make my stomach turn.

shryke on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God do I feel bad for our men and women in uniform who are gonna be targets thanks to PMCs.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Seriously.

I can see no benefit to using Blackwater that don't make my stomach turn.

ELM just said why

they aren't accountable to the chain of command

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    God do I feel bad for our men and women in uniform who are gonna be targets thanks to PMCs.

I feel bad for the Pakistanis that'll be murdered in cold blood by these assholes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ELM just said why

That's not a benefit.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    ELM just said why

That's not a benefit.

It is for the leaders of the military. No war crime responsibility. Not that Americans can be prosecuted for such things, but still.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ELM just said why

That's not a benefit.

good old plausible deniability

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think its even more sad that these mercenaries get better pay and benefits than our own troops

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would have no problem with using mercenaries if they were responsible to some form of combat ethics, or code of morality. We're pretty much just employing pirates to do the dirty work we don't want to dirty our hands with.

As for PMCs operating in Pakistan, I figured it would only be a matter of time. Osama still has a pretty hefty bounty on his head and you have to know several companies were probably jockying for the opportunity. I mean that area has to be just a veritable horn of plenty of high value targets.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I would have no problem with using mercenaries if they were responsible to some form of combat ethics, or code of morality. We're pretty much just employing pirates to do the dirty work we don't want to dirty our hands with.

As for PMCs operating in Pakistan, I figured it would only be a matter of time. Osama still has a pretty hefty bounty on his head and you have to know several companies were probably jockying for the opportunity. I mean that area has to be just a veritable horn of plenty of high value targets.

I would agree except there's a pretty big gap between private companies independently going after Bin Laden and other high-value targets for the bounty and a private company conducting operations on the instruction and express cooperation with the United States government.

One is basically an attempt at war profiteering, or bounty hunting if you prefer. The other is government subsidization of mercenary units to sidestep political and regulatory concerns.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    QliphothQliphoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It seems more of a PR move, it's not like theres any accountability for any American war crimes regardless of who they were committed by.

Qliphoth on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    With the disclaimer that my knowledge of the inner workings of Pakistan could be wildly off base, I would imagine that from the suits in Washington's side of things it isn't an attempt to dodge war crimes accountability but rather to sidestep having official US troops on the ground and active inside Pakistan and its border regions.

With the sentiment regarding the US over there, one incident by soldiers that could be linked back to the US military could be disastrous. This then dovetails into wondering what the reasoning is behind using a company with a proven history of exactly those types of incidents rather than the actual military if it is indeed necessary.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did you guys even read this article?
    The Nation wrote:
    Blackwater, according to the military intelligence source, is not doing the actual killing as part of its work in Pakistan.

They're supporting other JSOC forces. They're not the main effort here.

This really isn't anything new. The CIA has been using independent contractors for decades.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    The Nation wrote:
    Blackwater, according to the military intelligence source, is not doing the actual killing as part of its work in Pakistan.

This really isn't anything new. The CIA has been using independent contractors for decades.

Not supporting, so much as planning. We are paying a private company to tell our troops who to kill.

More worrisome is that they also advise JSOC forces on targets in Uzbekistan. Apparently we are also hunting people Blackwater sends us after in Uzbekistan!

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I read that as they aren't going in the house holding the gun. They're choosing the targets and devising the method used by the guys they're directing who are. Which, to me, is a semantic difference at best.

If you are choosing what gets bombed, raided, or picked up, devising how its done, and supervising its implementation how is that any different regarding culpability for the results or the risks to the quality of those results based on who's providing them? If Blackwater is devising the plan and the plan goes badly because they drop the ball, which I don't see out of the realm of possibility considering their track record, isn't the result the same?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    More importantly, why do these assholes still have government contracts?

Former employees testified under oath that the CEO murdered/ordered the murders of people who were cooperating into the investigation into whether or not Blackwater was supplying weapons to Kurdish terrorists and/or the massacre of 17 civilians in Baghdad. Also that he views himself as a Christian Crusader tasked with eliminating the Muslim faith from the globe.

I mean, what the fuck?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Nation wrote:

Not supporting, so much as planning. We are paying a private company to tell our troops who to kill.

More worrisome is that they also advise JSOC forces on targets in Uzbekistan. Apparently we are also hunting people Blackwater sends us after in Uzbekistan!

Providing intel is a form of support.

And the plans are partially developed by blackwater. Do you really think that Delta and SF go on missions if they don't take any part in the planning process? More likely most of the Al-Qaeda operatives are captured to gain further intel rather than killed (depend on their level in the food chain, either way it's not like you can drop ordnance on a hut and then extract the HVT).

These aren't ex law enforcement and line dog grunts that are gathering intel, these are ex spec ops types. If you could use one word to describe a (ex) member of the spec ops community it would be competent.

Just because they're now receiving a pay check from blackwater doesn't mean that they're any less competent.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Nation wrote:

Providing intel is a form of support.

And the plans are partially developed by blackwater. Do you really think that Delta and SF go on missions if they don't take any part in the planning process? More likely most of the Al-Qaeda operatives are captured to gain further intel.

These aren't ex law enforcement and line dog grunts that are gathering intel, these are ex spec ops types. If you could use one word to describe a (ex) member of the spec ops community it would be competent.

Just because they're now receiving a pay check from blackwater doesn't mean that they're any less competent.

Yes, I do think they sometimes go on missions planned by their former comrades in Blackwater. The article talks about how these guys get super security clearances because of the fact that the Special Forces branch KNOWS them personally and they have a mutual trust.

And I don't inherently trust the military even if they are competent, especially when it has been shown that the most fundamentalist assholes end up in Special Forces and that these ex-Special Forces guys are led by a man who sees himself as a Crusader against Islam.

So yeah, they may be good at planning operations. But I question their goals which seem to be plunder and Crusade.

MalaysianShrew on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    More importantly, why do these assholes still have government contracts?

Former employees testified under oath that the CEO murdered/ordered the murders of people who were cooperating into the investigation into whether or not Blackwater was supplying weapons to Kurdish terrorists and/or the massacre of 17 civilians in Baghdad. Also that he views himself as a Christian Crusader tasked with eliminating the Muslim faith from the globe.

I mean, what the fuck?

That explains it.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MalaysianShrew: Right, because the CEO is on the ground personally directing intel ops.

You're pretty naive if you think that members of JSOC don't review the intel before planning the missions.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MalaysianShrew: Right, because the CEO is on the ground personally directing intel ops.

Nah, his views just mean his company shouldn't get government contracts. Especially in the Muslim world. Even the possibility of that perception is disastrous.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Taranis, I would have more faith in their competence if they didn't have the history that they did in the region. With that in mind, I can't see how continuing to use a company with that track record and that reputation in such a sensitive role is a good idea. And I would again argue that if the planning of an operation is faulty it doesn't much matter who's holding the gun when they kick the door in: if its the wrong damn house, or its full of civilians at the time, it doesn't much matter who's finger is on the physical trigger or detonation button.

And if the responsibility for that plan is tied to a company that much of the region would (correctly) view as perpetrators of homicide and war crimes and was residing on our payroll when that operation was conceived...yeah, I don't see that ending well.

With the convoy duty and VIP protection stuff they could at least say they were just going from point A to point B and something occurred. When they are the ones actually planning the strategy? Not so much.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Regardless of how it "looks", having a shadow company outside of the chain of command (and yes they are regardless of what JSOC sees, it is about deniability) is not ok. At least when we sent special forces into Cambodia we knew who they were working for.

Dsmart on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PMC is just a fancy new-age word for mercenaries. There have always been mercenaries in the world.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    PMC is just a fancy new-age word for mercenaries. There have always been mercenaries in the world.

And does that make their use in this context acceptable?

And you'll note I called them mercenaries :P

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Taranis, I would have more faith in their competence if they didn't have the history that they did in the region. With that in mind, I can't see how continuing to use a company with that track record and that reputation in such a sensitive role is a good idea. And I would again argue that if the planning of an operation is faulty it doesn't much matter who's holding the gun when they kick the door in: if its the wrong damn house, or its full of civilians at the time, it doesn't much matter who's finger is on the physical trigger or detonation button.

And if the responsibility for that plan is tied to a company that much of the region would (correctly) view as perpetrators of homicide and war crimes and was residing on our payroll when that operation was conceived...yeah, I don't see that ending well.

So are we to judge the whole of the US Military by the actions of a few? I don't think it makes any sense to assume that just because they're in Blackwater they're any less competent than the active duty spec ops guys that they're supporting (or any more bloodthirsty).

However I agree we probably shouldn't be working with Blackwater. The experienced and competent personnel will probably flock to whichever contractor gets the best contracts.

If someone kicks in the wrong door they're not going to indiscriminately open up on everyone in the hut. It really doesn't work like that.

This whole article is suspect, not that it would surprise me if it was true.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

And does that make their use in this context acceptable?

And you'll note I called them mercenaries :P

People who go around calling them PMCs bring to mind people who feel themselves educated because they read popular mechanics and watch CNN.

The acceptability of men who kill for cash is entirely dependent on your views of violence in general - really they're a more honest version of the 18 year old Marine who signed up to escape poverty, get buff, and get a free college education.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

So are we to judge the whole of the US Military by the actions of a few? I don't think it makes any sense to assume that just because they're in Blackwater they're any less competent than the active duty spec ops guys that they're supporting (or any more bloodthirsty).

However I agree we probably shouldn't be working with Blackwater. The experienced and competent personnel will probably flock to whichever contractor gets the best contracts.

If someone kicks in the wrong door they're not going to indiscriminately open up on everyone in the hut. It really doesn't work like that.

Uh yes, we do judge the US Military by the worst actions we observe, and the inaction seen afterward.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Uh yes, we do judge the US Military by the worst actions we observe, and the inaction seen afterward.

Because all you see and all you know is what is in the papers and on TV.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Did you read the article I linked? About the actions of Special Forces in Iraq? That is how they act WITH oversight. That is the kind of actions they plan WITH oversight. I don't trust any of the special forces or black ops just because they are better at killing people. The solution to terrorism is not more killing, just like the solution to drugs isn't incarceration.

MalaysianShrew on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Did you read the article I linked? About the actions of Special Forces in Iraq? That is how they act WITH oversight. That is the kind of actions they plan WITH oversight. I don't trust any of the special forces or black ops just because they are better at killing people. The solution to terrorism is not more killing, just like the solution to drugs isn't incarceration.

Hah

Way to misinterpret that story. They painted that on the side of their bradley to draw fire away from the FOB/COP.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hah

Way to misinterpret that story. They painted that on the side of their bradley to draw fire away from the FOB/COP.

Hah

Way to misinterpret that story. They caused the conflict by vandalizing mosques with christian imagery, and incited non-insurgents to attack while firing grenades willy-nilly.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hah

Hah

Way to misinterpret that story. They caused the conflict by vandalizing mosques with christian imagery, and incited non-insurgents to attack while firing grenades willy-nilly.

Reading comprehension.
    “I heard some guys were vandalizing mosques,” Humphrey says. “Spray-painting ’em with crosses.”

It says nothing about the SF guy doing that.
    A head emerged from a window to answer, somebody fired on the roof, and the Special Forces man directed a response from an MK-19 grenade launcher. “Boom,” remembers Humphrey. The head and the window and the wall around it disappeared.

That's not willy nilly.

Unless shooting people that shoot at you is whilly nilly.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Hah

Hah

Hah

Way to misinterpret that story. Your mom's a whore.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

People who go around calling them PMCs bring to mind people who feel themselves educated because they read popular mechanics and watch CNN.

The acceptability of men who kill for cash is entirely dependent on your views of violence in general - really they're a more honest version of the 18 year old Marine who signed up to escape poverty, get buff, and get a free college education.
    Both involve what are essentially mercenaries killing the enemy at our employ but the secrecy, accountability issues, and past conduct in relation to this kind of thing is, to me, terrifying.

So I'm not real sure what the issue is, but ok. To go back to the first question, how does there being a long, varied history of mercenaries in warfare relate to whether or not their use in this instance is acceptable?

I don't judge the entire military by the actions of some, no. But I do judge a company by the conduct of their employees and their management, both of which have numerous instances of gross negligence or outright misconduct. Since it sounds like we agree on using Blackwater to be a mistake, I guess that issue can rest.

On the kicking the door down and killing everyone inside regardless, of course not. But snatching the wrong person or people doesn't seem at all implausible in light of past occurrences. Nor does planning a drone strike on a target which is incorrect or has a high amount of civilian casualties. While I would agree that this risk would be present with regular military as well, accountability would be greatly increased and with the ratio of these kinds of mistakes with Blackwater compared to normal military operations arguably more likely.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So how much does Blackwater Worldwide, aka the Xe Corporation, with their massive military base in the Great Dismal Swamp, possible connections to the Knights Templar (who they may or may not be the modern-day successors to) and ingenious plan to manipulate the US Government into achieving their goals of Christian supremacy and presumably world domination, sound like some really cool comic book villains? I'm exaggerating, but not by much.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hah

Hah

Reading comprehension.
    “I heard some guys were vandalizing mosques,” Humphrey says. “Spray-painting ’em with crosses.”

A head emerged from a window to answer, somebody fired on the roof, and the Special Forces man directed a response from an MK-19 grenade launcher. “Boom,” remembers Humphrey. The head and the window and the wall around it disappeared.

That's not willy nilly.

“Jesus kill Mohammed!” Another head, another shot. Boom. “Jesus kill Mohammed!” Boom. In the distance, Humphrey heard the static of AK fire and the thud of RPGs. He saw a rolling rattle of light that looked like a firefight on wheels. “Each time I go into combat I get closer to God,” DeGiulio would later say. He thought The Passion had been a sign that he would survive. The Bradley seemed to draw fire from every doorway. There couldn’t be that many insurgents in Samarra, Humphrey thought. Was this a city of terrorists? Humphrey heard Lieutenant DeGiulio reporting in from the Bradley’s cabin, opening up on all doorways that popped off a round, responding to rifle fire—each Iraqi household is allowed one gun—with 25mm shells powerful enough to smash straight through the front of a house and out the back wall.

Humphrey was stunned. He’d been blown off a tower in Kosovo and seen action in the drug war, but he’d never witnessed a maneuver so fundamentally stupid.

The men on the roof thought otherwise. They thought the lieutenant was a hero, a kamikaze on a suicide mission to bring Iraqis the American news: jesus killed mohammed.

Do you lack reading comprehension or something? The entire story is about how weaponized christianity is attempting to incite conflicts both home and abroad, and how it is harming our efforts abroad.

How do you honestly read that entire article about the dangers of christian involvement in the military and only come out with "fuck yeah! Christian heroes drawin' fire and gunnin' down A-rabs!"

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hah

Hah

Well at least I know where he stands on the humanity of foreigners.

MalaysianShrew on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hah

Hah

Reading comprehension.

That's not willy nilly.

“Jesus kill Mohammed!” Another head, another shot. Boom. “Jesus kill Mohammed!” Boom. In the distance, Humphrey heard the static of AK fire and the thud of RPGs. He saw a rolling rattle of light that looked like a firefight on wheels. “Each time I go into combat I get closer to God,” DeGiulio would later say. He thought The Passion had been a sign that he would survive. The Bradley seemed to draw fire from every doorway. There couldn’t be that many insurgents in Samarra, Humphrey thought. Was this a city of terrorists? Humphrey heard Lieutenant DeGiulio reporting in from the Bradley’s cabin, opening up on all doorways that popped off a round, responding to rifle fire—each Iraqi household is allowed one gun—with 25mm shells powerful enough to smash straight through the front of a house and out the back wall.

Humphrey was stunned. He’d been blown off a tower in Kosovo and seen action in the drug war, but he’d never witnessed a maneuver so fundamentally stupid.

The men on the roof thought otherwise. They thought the lieutenant was a hero, a kamikaze on a suicide mission to bring Iraqis the American news: jesus killed mohammed.

Do you lack reading comprehension or something? The entire story is about how weaponized christianity is attempting to incite conflicts both home and abroad, and how it is harming our efforts abroad.

How do you honestly read that entire article about the dangers of christian involvement in the military and only come out with "fuck yeah! Christian heroes drawin' fire and gunnin' down A-rabs!"

I didn't see any connection between the story and the article. The whole story seems to be taken out of context. What better way to enrage muslims and draw their fire than to write something offensive on your vehicle? The fact that the SF guy was christian is irrelevant. His FOB/COP was already taking fire, I really don't think he caused anyone to fire on his vehicle. Iraqi civilians aren't easily goaded into a fight.

I can't help but find the entire article hilarious after my experience in the military.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg