As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KVM Switch?

elevatureelevature Registered User regular
Here's my situation:

I have a desktop PC running XP, with a standard USB mouse and keyboard. I have a Macbook, and want to get an Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse (yes, it's expensive, but it's so pretty and I'm a whore, that's not the point). I want to use the regular mouse & kb with the PC, the apple kb & magic mouse with the Macbook, and the same monitor for both. Ideally I'd have two separate set-ups, but I'm short on desk space. I'm willing to swap out the kb and mouse, though.

Is a KVM switch the best way to go? Is there another way to share a monitor between two computers? I'd like to share speakers too, if possible.

elevature on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For monitors, Synergy.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For monitors, Synergy.

Synergy is 2 (or more) computers, each with their own screen but sharing the same keyboard and mouse isn't it?

That's pretty much entirely the opposite of what the OP wants.

a KVM is probably the only way to go, unless someone does simple monitor switches... I'd imagine if there is such a thing it'll be dirt cheap for vga and pretty expensive for DVI.

Deicist on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get a monitor with multiple, selectable inputs.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I agree with Mr_Rose, a KVM switch is for switching keyboard and mouse as well, and all you want is the same monitor.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The monitor sounds like a much more elegant solution, but also a more expensive one. And cheaper is better.

How about something like this: http://www.belkin.com/flip/

It does share kb and mouse, but I'm assuming I could just not connect those to the switch, and only use it for the monitor.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alternatively, get the KVM and the new mouse/keyboard and just ignore the "windows" mse/kbd when working with the shiny apple ones, since they are by default bluetooth and tiny now. I never heard of a PC having a problem with multiple keyboards/pointing devices before.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just throwing this out there that you can use the Apple keyboard and mice with PC's. That might save desk space.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just throwing this out there that you can use the Apple keyboard and mice with PC's. That might save desk space.
    Even the Magic Mouse? I wasn't aware anyone had Windows drivers for it yet.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I did consider that. I don't know how well the Apple keyboard works for gaming. But I may try it.

elevature on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Monitors with VGA, DVI and HDMI are pretty cheap. I have a cheap BenQ LCD which swithces between the my 2 PCs (DVI and VGA) and my PS3 (HDMI) fast enough (2-3 sec ish).
    Remember the DVI output on the back of your PC is only a cheap passive adapter from a HDMI or VGA signal. If you bought your GPU boxed you might already own them.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif