As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bricked PS3... Fixable?

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so while traveling back and forth and toteing along my PS3, and one day while breaking it down, I got a little hasty and pulled the power plug during the shutdown sequence but before he red light came on.

Today I turn on my PS3 and I the warm up music and PS3 logo, then a warning about proper shutdown procedures then.... Nothing.
No profiles load up and doing anything causes the system to freeze (including shutdown).

Now I've accepted that I lost everything on the hard drive. But can the system be saved? It's an original 60GB so I don't want to give it up. Can I format the HD or get a new one or what?

newSig.jpg
Nocren on

• Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does the red light come on when it is connected to power? Does naything happen now when you press the power button.

If the red light is on, I would try another harddrive. Swapping harddrives doesnt void any warranties so it perfectly safe to do as well.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, it still gets power and boots up fine, but it hangs when it gets past the logo and where it would have the various users listed. If I try and shut it down either by pressing the power button or via controller, it hangs.

I think I still have the old 60 GB lying around so I'll try swapping it out.

If I can't find the old drive, what is the prefered drive type again?
    I know it's a laptop drive, but I need dimensions and rpm speed.
    Or does that even matter?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2.5" 9mm, any speed is OK.

Try holding down the power button on the console until you get 2 beeps - then try for 3 beeps. I haven't experienced your specific issue but you might be able to hard-reset/clear it out that way.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmmm.... I thought the 3 beeps was switching the video source. I'll give that a try to. Thanks PF.

Anyone else got any advice?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Hmmm.... I thought the 3 beeps was switching the video source. I'll give that a try to. Thanks PF.

2 beeps is video output reset, 3 beeps is a step further IIRC.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nocren wrote: »

2 beeps is video output reset, 3 beeps is a step further IIRC.
    Yeah, 3 beeps resets to all default settings. It doesn't wipe the HDD though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, holding it for the beeps didn't work. Guess I'm SOL...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg