Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Japanimation] ITT B:L shows how small our penises really are compared to his

1356763

Posts

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hells yes, I love Patlabor. Never did see the third movie, but the synopsis sounds pretty lame anyway.

    Hmm, are the OVAs even available on DVD?

    The third Patlabor movie wasn't bad, persay - it's just that it was a Patlabor movie in name only (the main cast appears only once, in the climatic scene, as backup.) Otherwise, it's a well done, if a bit generic, sci-fi noir thriller.

    And no, they're not...from what I understand, the rights were in limbo for a long time, and now the material is considered too dated to localize.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Now my question is, can anyone recommend some other good shows from that time period (Late 80s-early 90s)? OVAs are fine too, my tastes are broad so I will watch just about anything but I prefer a bit of action.

    Arbitrarily defining "late 80's-early 90's" as 1986-1994:

    Mobile Police Patlabor
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Robot Carnival
    Appleseed
    Gunbuster
    Riding Bean
    Gunsmith Cats
    Yawara! (Yawara: A Fashionable Judo Girl)
    City Hunter
    Various Lupin III stuff
    Vampire Princess Miyu
    Record of Lodoss War
    The Hakkenden
    Here is Greenwood
    Bastard‼
    Giant Robo
    Battle Angel
    Combustible Campus Guardress
    Dragon Half
    Please Save My Earth
    Slam Dunk
    Super Dimension Century Orguss 02
    Yuu Yuu Hakusho
    Irresponsible Captain Tylor
    Blue Seed
    You're Under Arrest!
    Iria: Zeiram the Animation
    Key the Metal Idol
    Macross Plus
    Oh My Goddess!

    Man, what a nostalgia rush. Long live VHS!

    Awesome :^: Thank you! I'm surprised how many on that list I've already seen but I am definitely going to check out the rest now.

    sig2-2.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just don't read any Battle Angel manga BEFORE you watch the OVA.

    You'll be horrifically disappointed.

    It's not that the OVA is bad, just that it sucks compared to the awesomeness of the manga.

    Hisao? What's the word for when it feels in your heart that everything in the world is alright?
    .

    STEAM
  • SpectreSpectre Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So having watched two episodes of Halo Legends, I'm getting the feeling that it's set during the industrial era of Japan. o_O
    Spoiler:

    holy crap, I didn't know those were out

    Does Waypoint on LIVE have both up still, or is MS taking them down when they put a new one up?

    I'm pretty sure that they were each up for just one day. There's a schedule somewhere of when each episode is going to be up.

    Edit: Here it is.

    gst+spectre.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    guys a long time ago someone posted a couple of vertical panel jokes

    one of them was someone pointing out that a doorknob looked like an "impudent penguin" and ended with a character glaring at the doorhandle thinking "impudennnnt"

    what was the name of the show there?

    Location: Sydney, Australia
    My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First time posting in one of these threads, and with the following comment I'm sure it'll be my last. Here I go anyhow...

    I'm actually rather enjoying the new Dragon Ball Kai series. It's like a walk down memory lane, but with only the good memories intact. For those that don't know what this is:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In February 2009, Toei announced that it would begin rebroadcasting Dragon Ball Z as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations. The series premiered on April 5, 2009, under the name Dragon Ball Kai, with the episodes remastered for HDTV, featuring updated opening and ending sequences, and a rerecording of the vocal tracks by most of the original cast.[32][33] The footage was also re-edited to more closely follow the manga, resulting in a faster moving story, and damaged frames removed.[34] As such, it is a "new" series created from the original Dragon Ball Z footage.

    That means I'm at episode 31 and Goku is about to whoop Frieza's ass. Only 70 more eps to go.

    I'll just let myself out...

    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    guys a long time ago someone posted a couple of vertical panel jokes

    one of them was someone pointing out that a doorknob looked like an "impudent penguin" and ended with a character glaring at the doorhandle thinking "impudennnnt"

    what was the name of the show there?

    I'm pretty sure that was Sketchbook.

  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    guys a long time ago someone posted a couple of vertical panel jokes

    one of them was someone pointing out that a doorknob looked like an "impudent penguin" and ended with a character glaring at the doorhandle thinking "impudennnnt"

    what was the name of the show there?

    I'm pretty sure that was Sketchbook.

    ah thats it! thanks man i shoulda asked you guys earlier.

    Location: Sydney, Australia
    My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm catching up on El Cazador de la Bruja on Funimation cause I stopped watching it in the middle back when it was first airing. It's a pretty good show so far, like Noir but not boring.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • MastashakeMastashake Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Heatwave wrote: »
    So having watched two episodes of Halo Legends, I'm getting the feeling that it's set during the industrial era of Japan. o_O
    Spoiler:

    holy crap, I didn't know those were out

    Does Waypoint on LIVE have both up still, or is MS taking them down when they put a new one up?

    Sooo...

    How JAPAN do we think the other installments will be?

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I read Parasyte a few weeks ago and didn't think it was all that bad. Very different from most of the manga that I typically read. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should give it a shot. Just uh, be aware, it's gory.


  • MastashakeMastashake Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Dac wrote: »
    I read Parasyte a few weeks ago and didn't think it was all that bad. Very different from most of the manga that I typically read. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should give it a shot. Just uh, be aware, it's gory.


    Good series.
    Spoiler:

  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mastashake wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    I read Parasyte a few weeks ago and didn't think it was all that bad. Very different from most of the manga that I typically read. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should give it a shot. Just uh, be aware, it's gory.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:


  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Now my question is, can anyone recommend some other good shows from that time period (Late 80s-early 90s)? OVAs are fine too, my tastes are broad so I will watch just about anything but I prefer a bit of action.

    Arbitrarily defining "late 80's-early 90's" as 1986-1994:

    snip

    Man, what a nostalgia rush. Long live VHS!

    Awesome :^: Thank you! I'm surprised how many on that list I've already seen but I am definitely going to check out the rest now.

    I had the same reaction. At first I thought: have I even seen much from this period? Then as I started combing through the list on Wikipedia it all came rushing back.

    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This show is silly. It also suffers from a severe case of KAWAII.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • JouleJoule Registered User
    edited November 2009
    guys a long time ago someone posted a couple of vertical panel jokes

    one of them was someone pointing out that a doorknob looked like an "impudent penguin" and ended with a character glaring at the doorhandle thinking "impudennnnt"

    what was the name of the show there?

    I'm pretty sure that was Sketchbook.

    ah thats it! thanks man i shoulda asked you guys earlier.

    Haha I posted that and it's still one of the best jokes in the series.

    I'm still on a high after watching Summer Wars so good but yeah most people should wait for a release without Korean hardsubs being covered up.

  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Just don't read any Battle Angel manga BEFORE you watch the OVA.

    You'll be horrifically disappointed.

    It's not that the OVA is bad, just that it sucks compared to the awesomeness of the manga.

    I have actually seen the OVA and read all the manga up to Last Order vol 13? I think..whatever the latest volume is. Definitely one of my favorite series ever.

    You're right, the OVA is good in it's own right but the fact that it doesn't include motorball means it could never compare with the manga.

    sig2-2.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Same director as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I see. Could be worth a look.

    (Mostly) Competitive Gaming Blog Updated November 18th. I'd rather fight monsters than demons
    stream
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    So, Summer Wars is out. Apparently the quality of the video is craptacular but the translation seems to be ok. I think I'll be waiting for the DVD version... also THORA says they're gonna do the blu-ray, whenever that is.
    Can't wait for the full HD version, Oz is crammed full of background details that got drowned out in the DVD resolution.
    Also, fun movie, I enjoyed it.

  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    First time posting in one of these threads, and with the following comment I'm sure it'll be my last. Here I go anyhow...

    I'm actually rather enjoying the new Dragon Ball Kai series. It's like a walk down memory lane, but with only the good memories intact. For those that don't know what this is:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In February 2009, Toei announced that it would begin rebroadcasting Dragon Ball Z as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations. The series premiered on April 5, 2009, under the name Dragon Ball Kai, with the episodes remastered for HDTV, featuring updated opening and ending sequences, and a rerecording of the vocal tracks by most of the original cast.[32][33] The footage was also re-edited to more closely follow the manga, resulting in a faster moving story, and damaged frames removed.[34] As such, it is a "new" series created from the original Dragon Ball Z footage.

    That means I'm at episode 31 and Goku is about to whoop Frieza's ass. Only 70 more eps to go.

    I'll just let myself out...

    The only bad part of Dragon Ball Kai is that it removes the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive

    Which is a fucking crime

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    First time posting in one of these threads, and with the following comment I'm sure it'll be my last. Here I go anyhow...

    I'm actually rather enjoying the new Dragon Ball Kai series. It's like a walk down memory lane, but with only the good memories intact. For those that don't know what this is:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In February 2009, Toei announced that it would begin rebroadcasting Dragon Ball Z as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations. The series premiered on April 5, 2009, under the name Dragon Ball Kai, with the episodes remastered for HDTV, featuring updated opening and ending sequences, and a rerecording of the vocal tracks by most of the original cast.[32][33] The footage was also re-edited to more closely follow the manga, resulting in a faster moving story, and damaged frames removed.[34] As such, it is a "new" series created from the original Dragon Ball Z footage.

    That means I'm at episode 31 and Goku is about to whoop Frieza's ass. Only 70 more eps to go.

    I'll just let myself out...

    The only bad part of Dragon Ball Kai is that it removes the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive

    Which is a fucking crime

    Well one can't have complete perfection.

    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    First time posting in one of these threads, and with the following comment I'm sure it'll be my last. Here I go anyhow...

    I'm actually rather enjoying the new Dragon Ball Kai series. It's like a walk down memory lane, but with only the good memories intact. For those that don't know what this is:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In February 2009, Toei announced that it would begin rebroadcasting Dragon Ball Z as part of the series' 20th anniversary celebrations. The series premiered on April 5, 2009, under the name Dragon Ball Kai, with the episodes remastered for HDTV, featuring updated opening and ending sequences, and a rerecording of the vocal tracks by most of the original cast.[32][33] The footage was also re-edited to more closely follow the manga, resulting in a faster moving story, and damaged frames removed.[34] As such, it is a "new" series created from the original Dragon Ball Z footage.

    That means I'm at episode 31 and Goku is about to whoop Frieza's ass. Only 70 more eps to go.

    I'll just let myself out...

    The only bad part of Dragon Ball Kai is that it removes the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive

    Which is a fucking crime

    Well one can't have complete perfection.

    Are we sure that gets removed? I believe that was 110 in the original series; has Kai gotten to that point (content-wise) already?

  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I honestly can't remember. I think that was between the Frieza and Cell sagas, which Kai hasn't gotten to yet.

    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It was filler before the androids showed up, IIRC.

  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Was reading random threads in ADTRW and came across a mention of a mango called Break Blade. The setting is a feudalistic continent where quartz-manipulating technomagic is common almost to a man, and everything runs on it, from lamps to vehicles to guns. In this setting we have an un-sorcerer guy (can't use magic) and the wartime happenings of his country (he just so happens to be college buddies with the king and queen). A large-scale war with a much, much larger country is afoot, and the un-sorcerer protagonist finds an ancient mecha not powered by quartz techno-magic in any way.

    The mech action can be pretty hard to follow at times, with mech designs being rather similar in appearance. The problem is exacerbated by low scan quality at first, but it seems to be getting better in that regard. The protagonist's mech is certainly special, but all of them squarely fall into the 'real' robot categorization. The characterization is pretty good - almost everyone so far is a reasonable adult, and acts like one. Apparently there are six volumes released in Japan already, but it has been picked up and dropped by translators more than a few times (with resulting naming convention/scan quality differences); a new group just recently grabbed it and is up to chapter 11. This means that, so long as the new group is steady, there should be a long period of quicker than normal releases until it catches up.

    On the whole, the experience so far has been rocky, but that's mainly the fault of like five different groups doing eleven chapters and the quality jumping around like a mountain goat on crack as a result; certainly not something to blame on the mango itself. It's got a ton of potential, and it seems like the author is not afraid of character death, either, which puts it miles ahead of most, in my opinion. I will definitely keep an eye on this one.

    tf2_sig.png
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    Was reading random threads in ADTRW and came across a mention of a mango called Break Blade. The setting is a feudalistic continent where quartz-manipulating technomagic is common almost to a man, and everything runs on it, from lamps to vehicles to guns. In this setting we have an un-sorcerer guy (can't use magic) and the wartime happenings of his country (he just so happens to be college buddies with the king and queen). A large-scale war with a much, much larger country is afoot, and the un-sorcerer protagonist finds an ancient mecha not powered by quartz techno-magic in any way.

    The mech action can be pretty hard to follow at times, with mech designs being rather similar in appearance. The problem is exacerbated by low scan quality at first, but it seems to be getting better in that regard. The protagonist's mech is certainly special, but all of them squarely fall into the 'real' robot categorization. The characterization is pretty good - almost everyone so far is a reasonable adult, and acts like one. Apparently there are six volumes released in Japan already, but it has been picked up and dropped by translators more than a few times (with resulting naming convention/scan quality differences); a new group just recently grabbed it and is up to chapter 11. This means that, so long as the new group is steady, there should be a long period of quicker than normal releases until it catches up.

    On the whole, the experience so far has been rocky, but that's mainly the fault of like five different groups doing eleven chapters and the quality jumping around like a mountain goat on crack as a result; certainly not something to blame on the mango itself. It's got a ton of potential, and it seems like the author is not afraid of character death, either, which puts it miles ahead of most, in my opinion. I will definitely keep an eye on this one.

    Didn't have an anime announced for it a while back?

  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Too stupid to feel pain. San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It did? Nice. Sounds like an interesting show. Nevermind the fact that it's mecha. >.>

    157 more chapters and I'll have caught up with Initial D!

    makosig.jpg
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I was just doing some digging, and it seems it'll have a six-part movie deal starting sometime in 2010. Done by Production I.G. and XEBEC. Cue Aero Duck showing up to say those studios suck. (Oh god, please don't. ...suck, that is.)

    tf2_sig.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2009
    holy fucking shit today's naruto was the best thing
    Spoiler:

  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    holy fucking shit today's naruto was the best thing
    Spoiler:

    What! This must be investigated!

    Edit: Glorious...

  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Umineko 6 portrait / cover / various screenshots. Spoilers, obviously.

    http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=11975

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Double Lariat motherfuckers!

    0WBv0.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Super High-School Level ??? Hope's Peak AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Negima 271:
    Spoiler:

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Double Lariat motherfuckers!" for new thread title!

    0WBv0.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    "Double Lariat motherfuckers!" for new thread title!

    Agreed, times 1000. That was the single most awesome moment in Naruto that has ever happened.

  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    "Double Lariat motherfuckers!" for new thread title!

    Agreed, times 1000. That was the single most awesome moment in Naruto that has ever happened.

    Haha, those spoilers were real?

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get a room.
    Spoiler:

    l8kt.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    "Double Lariat motherfuckers!" for new thread title!

    Yeeees

    Pokemon Black FC: 0518-7386-3511
    Pokemon Black 2: 0519-5108-3139
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Umineko 6 portrait / cover / various screenshots. Spoilers, obviously.

    http://d-stage.com/shop/detail.php?seq=11975

    Haha, that portrait. A new 1998?

This discussion has been closed.