As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a lense for a Nikon n65 SLR Camera

Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought a Nikon n65 SLR Camera and it needs a lense however I don't know what I should get.

Any recommendations?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brett Ashley on

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What do you shoot? Do you need a wide angle, normal, telephoto zoom, walking around lens, superzoom, super telephoto…?

Without knowing that, I can only recommend a 50mm. On a film body a 50mm will be your go-to lens. That body can't use Ai or Ai-S lenses, so no old manual glass for you. The build quality between the AF 50mm f/1.8 D and the AF 50mm f/1.4 D is essentially identical and given the massive price increase, unless you desperately need the extra speed I'd stick to the f/1.8 version.

What kind of lens or what kind of shooting you plan to do along with a budget will allow for proper advice to be given.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll second the 50mm f/1.8 lens. I recently got one for my Canon and it's perfect. Very fast, so I rarely need a flash indoors, good depth of field for portraits or candids. I don't know about Nikon, but the Canon 50mm is dirt cheap.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I usually shoot outdoors or candid shots. I'm trying to stay under 100, under 70 would be nice but..
    50mm f/1.8 lens sounds splendid.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Definitely go for the 50mm. If you don't mind buying used, check out the local market. In my city (700k people, no photographic industry) these come up about once every two weeks for $100ish.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I found this. Think it'd work with a nikon?

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I found this. Think it'd work with a nikon?

No, unfortunately the Canon and Nikon families of lenses are mutually exclusive. Nothing for a Canon will work with a Nikon, and vice versa.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    damn...

this looks right.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    damn...

this looks right.

I don't know too much about Nikons, but Dark Moon said above your camera isn't compatible with old AI or AIS lenses. You need to look for AF lenses.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The precise lens you want is Nikkor (or Nikon) AF 50mm f/1.8 D. It is about $150 new and one of the cheapest lenses available. You cannot use AI lenses, AI-S lenses nor AF-S lenses. It needs to be just AF. It also needs to be Nikon mount (F-mount). Canon, Pentax, Fuji and so on will not mount to your camera.

Buying lenses over eBay is an extremely tricky matter as sellers tend not to mention that their lenses are full of fungus (irreparable, will ruin every lens you own if stored with your lenses) or the autofocus doesn't work or the lens is actually separated into its constituent parts and shipped in a plastic baggy. I would avoid all but the highest rated sellers and even then worry a great deal until the lens is actually in my hands in working order.

KEH is a very reputable used camera dealer in the US. Their prices are cheaper than new but slightly more expensive than local used/eBay because they are definitely going to be in the status they show as on the site. I'd buy from them if I wanted a used lens and lived in the States.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Amazon has it for $125. Really a steal considering that it will be your go-to lens for quite some time.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thank you for all of this information.
    I'm just beginning to learn about cameras.
    I took a class back in high school to learn how to use a SLR film camera and take pictures. Now I want to create. I'm craving to create.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Good stuff. Be sure to visit The AC's Photo Thread for lots of informative posts and plenty of pretty photographs. It's also a good place to ask random tech questions, as the concentration of photographers viewing that thread is much higher than the concentration of those who frequent H/A.

Dark Moon on