As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Engineering in NYC

rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have a degree in aeronautical engineering, and spent the past year working as a mechanical engineer for an aviation firm before getting laid off in August. I would really like to move back to the east coast, and specifically New York City, but it doesn't really seem like there are a lot of mechanical engineering jobs around. Anyone on here work as an engineer in NYC? Have any advice on places to look? The job sites have left me a little overwhelmed, so I was just curious if anyone had a good starting place.

rocketshipready on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    there are plenty of places in jersey. I can't see many engineering firms paying NYC rent to house an engineering group.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, most places have offices in NJ, upstate NY or in western CT rather than NYC proper because of the expense

You should look into Sikorsky, they have a pretty big office in Stratford, CT

Usagi on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Northrup Grumman also has many East Coast places. There's a huge one in Baltimore (like a few thousand employee building) as well as some smaller satellites around the metro DC area.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raytheon is right outside Boston, too.
    There's also smaller places in Vermont and New Hampshire.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Northrup Grumman also has many East Coast places. There's a huge one in Baltimore (like a few thousand employee building) as well as some smaller satellites around the metro DC area.

DC is the mecca of government and contractor engineering jobs

Also is nearly as expensive to live there as NYC unless you live out in the burbs

Usagi on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

DC is the mecca of government and contractor engineering jobs

Also is nearly as expensive to live there as NYC unless you live out in the burbs

Yeah if you work at one of the satellite offices it's not so bad. I live just barely inside the beltway in MD and it's still kind of expensive.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I moved to New York this year and have been job hunting since February. Do NOT come anywhere near New York without a job and enough money to live for at least six months if you get here and are laid off. The New York economy is terrible, unemployment is nuts, the city is buying airline tickets to send people home because they come here thinking that there will be jobs and end up homeless. Economic forecasts for NYC are generally grim and most analysts/economists see the city losing jobs through next year, maybe even through 2011.

The other posters are right about the DC area, though. There are tons of tech and engineering jobs, and it isn’t a bad place to live if you don’t mind being in the burbs or dealing with horrible rush-hour traffic. One big tip, tho: you’ll need a Top-Secret/SCI security clearance to get the best jobs in the DC area. Finding someone who will pay for you to get one is really tough if you don’t have connections, so make sure you’re selling skills that are really hard to come by if you want those jobs.

supabeast on