As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cold causes the refreshes to slow even more than heat. Standing at bus stops in -20C to -30C weather this winter my Kindle would take about 2-3 seconds to refresh the screen after 15 minutes of waiting.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Probably something to do with heat/cold and conductivity of the eink substance stuff.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    Has Amazon ever said anything about allowing people to use their own screensavers? Not on the ad one, obviously.

You're but a 5 minute jailbreak away. Doesn't void the warranty, either - Amazon has all but officially endorsed it.

Thanks! I've been wanting to do this for ages, and didn't realize that there was a working jailbreak for the newest version of the Kindle firmware. I'd really like to know why Amazon doesn't let you customize the screen savers by default.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I agree, the screensaver thing is odd. On the Nook you just drop images into a folder and it works.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, my Sony PRS-505 is playing up.

For about a week or so it wasn't being recognised by the computer when I plugged it in, but it was still charging so I left it due to laziness. Tried sorting it out last night. I first formatted the internal memory ('cos that worked when this last happened), restarted my computer and then plugged it in. I now have an e-reader that is not recognised by the computer and is not charging anymore.

So, any suggestions? Or is it fucked and I should sort out the warranty stuff?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ExpiredHeroExpiredHero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for that. I think it's fixed (it's now charging and showing up on my computer even though it didn't actually complete the steps for the hard reset).

Hopefully this isn't going to happen every couple of months, as it will get rather irritating.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Amazon to Launch Library Lending for Kindle Books

Customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 local libraries to read on Kindle and free Kindle reading apps

Whispersyncing of notes, highlights and last page read to work for Kindle library books

SEATTLE, Apr 20, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

(NASDAQ: AMZN)-- Amazon today announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the United States. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.

"We're excited that millions of Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from their local libraries," said Jay Marine, Director, Amazon Kindle. "Customers tell us they love Kindle for its Pearl e-ink display that is easy to read even in bright sunlight, up to a month of battery life, and Whispersync technology that synchronizes notes, highlights and last page read between their Kindle and free Kindle apps."

Customers will be able to check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Marine continued. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."

With Kindle Library Lending, customers can take advantage of all of the unique features of Kindle and Kindle books, including:

Paper-like Pearl electronic-ink display
    No glare even in bright sunlight
    Lighter than a paperback - weighs just 8.5 ounces and holds up to 3,500 books
    Up to one month of battery life with wireless off
    Read everywhere with free Kindle apps for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry and Windows Phone
    Whispersync technology wirelessly sync your books, notes, highlights, and last page read across Kindle and free Kindle reading apps
    Real Page Numbers - easily reference passages with page numbers that correspond to actual print editions

Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."

Kindle Library Lending will be available later this year for Kindle and free Kindle app users. To learn more about Kindle go to www.amazon.com/kindle.

I can't find any information on what format this new borrowing will use. Does this mean the Kindles will be updated to handle EPUB? Or is Overdrive offering MOBI files as well? Or will they be modified AZW files?

Not exactly the EPUB support I predicted late last year, but still accomplishes essentially the same thing. Library borrowing seemed to be the only real noteworthy feature the Nook had that the Kindle didn't. I'm really interested to see what Barnes & Noble does with the Nook 2, since Amazon is taking the competition so seriously.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's awesome. They've now plagiarized both of the features of the Nook that I wished the Kindle had.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Amazon to Launch Library Lending for Kindle Books

Customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 local libraries to read on Kindle and free Kindle reading apps

Whispersyncing of notes, highlights and last page read to work for Kindle library books

SEATTLE, Apr 20, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) --

(NASDAQ: AMZN)-- Amazon today announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the United States. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.

"We're excited that millions of Kindle customers will be able to borrow Kindle books from their local libraries," said Jay Marine, Director, Amazon Kindle. "Customers tell us they love Kindle for its Pearl e-ink display that is easy to read even in bright sunlight, up to a month of battery life, and Whispersync technology that synchronizes notes, highlights and last page read between their Kindle and free Kindle apps."

Customers will be able to check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Marine continued. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."

With Kindle Library Lending, customers can take advantage of all of the unique features of Kindle and Kindle books, including:

Paper-like Pearl electronic-ink display
    No glare even in bright sunlight
    Lighter than a paperback - weighs just 8.5 ounces and holds up to 3,500 books
    Up to one month of battery life with wireless off
    Read everywhere with free Kindle apps for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry and Windows Phone
    Whispersync technology wirelessly sync your books, notes, highlights, and last page read across Kindle and free Kindle reading apps
    Real Page Numbers - easily reference passages with page numbers that correspond to actual print editions

Amazon is working with OverDrive, the leading provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a seamless library borrowing experience to Kindle customers. "We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," said Steve Potash, CEO, OverDrive. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."

Kindle Library Lending will be available later this year for Kindle and free Kindle app users. To learn more about Kindle go to www.amazon.com/kindle.

I can't find any information on what format this new borrowing will use. Does this mean the Kindles will be updated to handle EPUB? Or is Overdrive offering MOBI files as well? Or will they be modified AZW files?

Not exactly the EPUB support I predicted late last year, but still accomplishes essentially the same thing. Library borrowing seemed to be the only real noteworthy feature the Nook had that the Kindle didn't. I'm really interested to see what Barnes & Noble does with the Nook 2, since Amazon is taking the competition so seriously.

Overdrive does have MOBI files. However the number of titles offered by overdrive on MOBI is way less than the number offered on Adobe PDF. Amazon could either make the kindle work with digital editions, or Overdrive would need to start offering a shitload more MOBI books. I'm hoping it'll be the the former as it will be way easier to help patrons since the process would be similar.

Or Overdrive will just have kindle formatted books. Which would be annoying as hell to have to explain to patrons the difference between the books that work on kindle and the ones that work on the other eReaders. Especially if they don't overlap much (which they currently don't with PDF and MOBI)

Also fuck them if they have their own format and make libraries have to buy yet another copy of the book. Our budget is already super tight as it is.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Also fuck them if they have their own format and make libraries have to buy yet another copy of the book. Our budget is already super tight as it is.

Gotta build dem new baseball stadiums, mang

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Press Release from Overdrive specifically for Library Staff with some more info.
    April 20th, 2011 Karen Estrovich

Today Amazon and OverDrive announced the Kindle Library Lending program, which will enable Kindle customers to borrow and enjoy eBooks from our library, school, and college partners in the United States. The program is scheduled for launch later this year, and will significantly increase the value of the investments that libraries have made in OverDrive-powered eBook catalogs.

Many of our partners will immediately receive inquiries about this new program, so here is a brief introduction into what can be expected when the program launches:

The Kindle Library Lending program will integrate into your existing OverDrive-powered ‘Virtual Branch’ website.

Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.

A user will be able to browse for titles on any desktop or mobile operating system, check out a title with a library card, and then select Kindle as the delivery destination. The borrowed title will then be able to be enjoyed using any Kindle device and all of Amazon’s free Kindle Reading Apps.

The Kindle eBook titles borrowed from a library will carry the same rules and policies as all our other eBooks.

The Kindle Library Lending program will support publishers’ existing lending models.

Your users’ confidential information will be protected.

The Kindle Library Lending program is only available for libraries, schools, and colleges in the United States.

We’re thrilled that our library, school, and college partners will be able to provide Kindle customers with access to eBooks from their digital collections. And we look forward to providing you with more information on the launch of the Kindle Library Lending program as it becomes available.

Seems to imply that there will be a separate file type for the Kindle, but that when a library buys the eBook license from Overdrive, it simply comes with the Kindle version as well as the Abode ePub version.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Additional info from Library Journal
    By Michael Kelley Apr 20, 2011

Library patrons across the United States will soon be able to borrow ebooks from over 11,000 libraries using Amazon's Kindle reading device.

Long a missing link in the library lending chain, Amazon's announcement today that it will offer, sometime later this year, Kindle library lending is likely to create a flood of demand, since many patrons have long been puzzled and librarians irritated by the inability to use the market-leading device to access library books.

The lending will be available for all generations of the Kindle as well as Kindle reading apps, and it will integrate with all the existing ebook catalogs in the United States powered by OverDrive. In other words, the libraries—including schools, colleges and public libraries—will not have to add a new format, and the ebooks now available on the OverDrive sites will be immediately integrated with the Kindle, Dan Stasiewski, a marketing associate with OverDrive, told LJ.

"There will be no additional cost to acquire new files to make them compatible," David Burleigh, OverDrive's director of marketing, told LJ. He referred questions on whether this deal was exclusive to OverDrive to Amazon.

(UPDATE) "It is going to be a seamless experience, that's all I can say at this point," Burleigh said in a subsequent interview. "As we develp the process we will give demos but that won't be for a while, but every ebook in the library's collection will be deliverable in the Kindle format [AZW] so libraries won't need to add a new format. ..These are Kindle ebooks and they are in the Kindle format that will be delivered directly to the Kindle reading device or the app," he said.

"We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," Steve Potash, OverDrive's CEO, said in a press release. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."

(UPDATE) In a blog post, OverDrive provided the following additional information:

The Kindle program will support publishers' existing lending models (MacMillan and Simon & Schuster do not have a library ebook lending model).
    As libraries add ebook titles to their collection, they, too, will be available via the Kindle. The patron only need have a library card and select Kindle as the delivery destination.
    The Kindle titles will carry the same OverDrive rules and policies as other ebooks.
    OverDrive said it will protect users' confidential information.

In an interview before this announcement, Stasiewski said the company does not retain any personal information about a patron, except in the case where a patron may enter an email to receive notification for a hold. The company does store library card numbers.

Amazon introduced the Kindle in 2007, but has waited years to introduce library lending. Barnes & Noble introduced library lending when it launched Nook in 2009.

In an unusual feature for library lending, patrons will be able to make margin notes and highlight passages in books that they have borrowed on the Kindle, using the device's Whispersync technology.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Jay Marine, director, Amazon Kindle, said in a press release. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."

This feature could raise privacy concerns within the library community as apparently Amazon would be maintaining a de

Seems imply that a patron can get the books through Whispersync directly onto the Kindle without having to side load it like the other eReaders. I can believe this since Overdrive just updated the iOs app to download right from the device.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Additional info from Library Journal
    By Michael Kelley Apr 20, 2011

Library patrons across the United States will soon be able to borrow ebooks from over 11,000 libraries using Amazon's Kindle reading device.

Long a missing link in the library lending chain, Amazon's announcement today that it will offer, sometime later this year, Kindle library lending is likely to create a flood of demand, since many patrons have long been puzzled and librarians irritated by the inability to use the market-leading device to access library books.

The lending will be available for all generations of the Kindle as well as Kindle reading apps, and it will integrate with all the existing ebook catalogs in the United States powered by OverDrive. In other words, the libraries—including schools, colleges and public libraries—will not have to add a new format, and the ebooks now available on the OverDrive sites will be immediately integrated with the Kindle, Dan Stasiewski, a marketing associate with OverDrive, told LJ.

"There will be no additional cost to acquire new files to make them compatible," David Burleigh, OverDrive's director of marketing, told LJ. He referred questions on whether this deal was exclusive to OverDrive to Amazon.

(UPDATE) "It is going to be a seamless experience, that's all I can say at this point," Burleigh said in a subsequent interview. "As we develp the process we will give demos but that won't be for a while, but every ebook in the library's collection will be deliverable in the Kindle format [AZW] so libraries won't need to add a new format. ..These are Kindle ebooks and they are in the Kindle format that will be delivered directly to the Kindle reading device or the app," he said.

"We are excited to be working with Amazon to offer Kindle Library Lending to the millions of customers who read on Kindle and Kindle apps," Steve Potash, OverDrive's CEO, said in a press release. "We hear librarians and patrons rave about Kindle, so we are thrilled that we can be part of bringing library books to the unparalleled experience of reading on Kindle."

(UPDATE) In a blog post, OverDrive provided the following additional information:

The Kindle program will support publishers' existing lending models (MacMillan and Simon & Schuster do not have a library ebook lending model).
    As libraries add ebook titles to their collection, they, too, will be available via the Kindle. The patron only need have a library card and select Kindle as the delivery destination.
    The Kindle titles will carry the same OverDrive rules and policies as other ebooks.
    OverDrive said it will protect users' confidential information.

In an interview before this announcement, Stasiewski said the company does not retain any personal information about a patron, except in the case where a patron may enter an email to receive notification for a hold. The company does store library card numbers.

Amazon introduced the Kindle in 2007, but has waited years to introduce library lending. Barnes & Noble introduced library lending when it launched Nook in 2009.

In an unusual feature for library lending, patrons will be able to make margin notes and highlight passages in books that they have borrowed on the Kindle, using the device's Whispersync technology.

"We're doing a little something extra here," Jay Marine, director, Amazon Kindle, said in a press release. "Normally, making margin notes in library books is a big no-no. But we're extending our Whispersync technology so that you can highlight and add margin notes to Kindle books you check out from your local library. Your notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book. But if you check out the book again, or subsequently buy it, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced."

This feature could raise privacy concerns within the library community as apparently Amazon would be maintaining a de

Seems imply that a patron can get the books through Whispersync directly onto the Kindle without having to side load it like the other eReaders. I can believe this since Overdrive just updated the iOs app to download right from the device.

So I'm guessing that I'd only be able to use this if my local library offered ebooks? Which as far as I know it doesn't so I might as well ignore all this?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ohmanohmanohman, I live in a major US city and I'd be floored if we didn't get this. Amazon's CEO is awesome.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Ohmanohmanohman, I live in a major US city and I'd be floored if we didn't get this. Amazon's CEO is awesome.

Yes, it's awesome to force libraries to use his proprietary format when they've already purchased copies compatible with every other ereader ever. And by awesome I do of course mean reprehensible.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Yes, it's awesome to force libraries to use his proprietary format when they've already purchased copies compatible with every other ereader ever. And by awesome I do of course mean reprehensible.

I don't really understand what you're complaining about. The Overdrive service which tons of libraries already use is now going to offer Kindle eBooks to the libraries as well at no additional cost to the library. What's the problem, exactly?

JHunz on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got a Kindle 3 for my birthday. It is awesome. Reading sample chapters of books is cool.

I am very intimidated by this wrapsol cover my Mom purchased with it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JHunz wrote: »

I don't really understand what you're complaining about. The Overdrive service which tons of libraries already use is now going to offer Kindle eBooks to the libraries as well at no additional cost to the library. What's the problem, exactly?

It's an extension of a general principle, really. I don't like restrictive, locked-in data formats. They represent the interests of a business taking precedence over the interests of the customer. To see someone praising something like that seems so backwards to me that I can't understand the sentiment.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    JHunz wrote: »

It's an extension of a general principle, really. I don't like restrictive, locked-in data formats. They represent the interests of a business taking precedence over the interests of the customer. To see someone praising something like that seems so backwards to me that I can't understand the sentiment.
    I see what you're saying, but I think you're taking it about 150% too far. Nobody's praising the format. But since the format exists and it is what they're using, it's nice that they're making it available to libraries for no additional charge.

JHunz on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My wife put that wrapsol cover on my kindle shortly after I my last post. Man, talk about a difficult thing, good lord. And she is much better coordinated than I am. There are still some bubbles in it, but the instructions said to get as many out as possible and then wait 24 hours. It has only been 12.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, where do you guys get your screensavers? I'm trying to find a bunch of suitable historic pictures/illustrations to convert.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My wife put that wrapsol cover on my kindle shortly after I my last post. Man, talk about a difficult thing, good lord. And she is much better coordinated than I am. There are still some bubbles in it, but the instructions said to get as many out as possible and then wait 24 hours. It has only been 12.

Your mom had already purchased it, so it was a done deal, but really, I think the Kindle is one of the few electronic devices with a screen that really doesn't need any kind of protection.

The device is already incredibly durable, and I've been using my second-gen version for nearly two years now with absolutely no protection outside of the cover (which I only use when taking it out of the house), and it looks as good as it did the day I bought it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What kind of battery life are other Kindle 3 users getting? I'm getting maybe 3 or 4 days out of a full charge reading about and hour or so a day with wifi/3g off. I've done the check for books indexing and that's not it. Would it be worth it to call Amazon's customer service and look into getting a replacement?

I forgot to mention, I'm not using a cover anymore because I had one of the non-backlit covers and all the associated problems with it. I should also call about that and get a refund/replacement for it too while I'm at it.

As a bit of an experiment to see what the battery life is like with wifi/3g on I left it on this morning with the Kindle at full charge (unplugged it at about 9am). I read for about a half hour and downloaded one book, and battery is at 50%. That's....really shitty.

Cormac on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Are you charging it through your computer, or directly from the wall?

When I started experiencing battery problems a couple months back, things seemed to resolve themselves when I started charging through the wall again, instead of the connection through my computer.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Directly through the wall. I've also tried doing a hard reset on a full charge, but that didn't do anything.

Cormac on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That does seem incredibly short. I have a Kindle 2 and I can easily read for 2 weeks for at LEAST an hour a day on a charge with 3g off, and the Kindle 3 has better battery life doesn't it?

Yeah, give Amazon a call.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cormac wrote: »
    What kind of battery life are other Kindle 3 users getting? I'm getting maybe 3 or 4 days out of a full charge reading about and hour or so a day with wifi/3g off. I've done the check for books indexing and that's not it. Would it be worth it to call Amazon's customer service and look into getting a replacement?

I forgot to mention, I'm not using a cover anymore because I had one of the non-backlit covers and all the associated problems with it. I should also call about that and get a refund/replacement for it too while I'm at it.

As a bit of an experiment to see what the battery life is like with wifi/3g on I left it on this morning with the Kindle at full charge (unplugged it at about 9am). I read for about a half hour and downloaded one book, and battery is at 50%. That's....really shitty.

I've read 10 books without charging before, with off and on usage I probably get 3 weeks or longer on my Kindle 3. That is with the Wifi off (wifi only model.)

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember something about the metal prongs in the non-lighted official case killing battery life. Are you using that?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No, I stopped using the cover a few months ago when it kept resetting my Kindle almost every time I turned it on. I'm tempted to say the battery life has deteriorated over time to the point where I now will get three days to four days of life with light reading, 3g/wifi off, no cover of any kind, and no indexing in the background.

Cormac on
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Contact Amazon, they seem to have absurdly awesome customer service. Someone in here got a new one for free from them when he stepped on his old one!

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Contact Amazon, they seem to have absurdly awesome customer service. Someone in here got a new one for free from them when he stepped on his old one!

Yep, that was me. No joke.

JHunz on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A friend of mine cracked his kindle in the airplane (stuffing the kindle and a can in the compartment located behind the seat in front) and was issued a new one right away.

Alegis on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My K3 lasted about 7 weeks first proper charge. Not for an hour a day sure, but it would work out as more hours over the charge than yours

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    He'll, even my K2 got roughly a month's charge with 30 minutes of reading or more evey single night.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I recently ordered a Kindle v3 (I'm hoping it gets here tomorrow). I did not order any accessories yet. I assume it comes with a cable to change it off of a PC USB port, but is it worth it to pick up a charger that plugs into an outlet?

Also, I was sent a link to this cover from a friend:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0044XK7Z2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d6_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CF0MGPTN0P4K40G4RSG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383511&pf_rd_i=915398

Does anyone have any experience with this cover?

Thanks in advance.

socks on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I read about 4-7 hours a day, 4-5 days a week and I only have to charge it every two to three weeks.

socks, it comes with an outlet/usb charger.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The K2 came with a USB charger, and an adapter to plug it into the wall. No idea if that's changed since the redesign though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The K2 came with a USB charger, and an adapter to plug it into the wall. No idea if that's changed since the redesign though.

It did not change.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    socks wrote: »
    I recently ordered a Kindle v3 (I'm hoping it gets here tomorrow). I did not order any accessories yet. I assume it comes with a cable to change it off of a PC USB port, but is it worth it to pick up a charger that plugs into an outlet?

Also, I was sent a link to this cover from a friend:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0044XK7Z2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d6_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CF0MGPTN0P4K40G4RSG&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383511&pf_rd_i=915398

Does anyone have any experience with this cover?

Thanks in advance.

That's the same cover I got except mine is black without the car charger. It's actually pretty awesome and I have no complaints as of yet, only had it a few weeks so far though.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator