As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Game Podcasts] - New 'Out of the Game' is actually.. out?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hearing Jeff talk about Darksiders totally gave me a boner during this week's Bombcast

I know, right?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I like Epileptic Gaming. It's some guy that goes by the name "DJ Wheat", which I'm assuming is a gaming handle, and several friends - usually "Nice Guy Ed" and "Force".

It's basically a bunch of immature late-twenty something dudes sitting around shooting the shit about games. It reminds me of conversations I routinely had with my gamer friends. Back before I got old and lost touch with all but a few of them.

Anyways, most people here will probably find it to be a bit puerile and their motivations banal, but I get a bunch of laughs out of each episode.

Teth on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did anybody listen to the Mobcast this week? The Atomic Gamer guy was trying so hard to be funny and he really wasn't. The show works really well when they've got good guests but when they've got mediocre or bad ones, it's really terrible. And while I don't really like Shoe, he's a far, FAR better host than Aaron Thomas.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hsu is the most interesting and uninteresting man at the exact same time.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Going to update the FUCK out of this 'cast thread over the weekend.

Kotaku's also got a new studio podcast rocking. Sound quality is an improvement over their previous podcasts, and Jeff Gerstmann is guest star!

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dan Hsu gets so serious business.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just listened to the Bombcast, how is this good? If I wanted to listen to a bunch of dorks make dorkey jokes for hours on end I'd talk to my friends...

Edit it gets a bit better when they actually start discussing games but still it was real annoying

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Amigu wrote: »
    I just listened to the Bombcast, how is this good? If I wanted to listen to a bunch of dorks make dorkey jokes for hours on end I'd talk to my friends...

Edit it gets a bit better when they actually start discussing games but still it was real annoying

Stop listening now and just get an RSS feed

It's obvious you need your news presented in a deathly professional fashion

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    While the Giant Bomb quick looks are often hilarious I think it should be noted they are one of the best ways to tell if you'll actually like a game aside from actually playing it. Crap is quickly identified as such.

To be fair, people here seem to love that Demon's Souls and that seemed to be a QL where Jeff and Ryan were just dumbfounded that anyone could find this fun.

Cryostasis too, which they seemed to be sort of mocking for its slow ass pace. Even though the game is supposed to be good (and ended up getting a good review anyway, even if not from Ryan and Jeff).
    Dave loves Cryostasis, though.

Still, I find it's usually pretty easy to spot a game I'm going to like in a quick look, even in whoever's commenting isn't thrilled about it. Everybody over there has relatively predictable biases.

I think when it comes to the Giant Bomb guys, you know the kind of game those dudes will like. Yeah, Demon's Souls is definitely not it.

I would expect them to be the kind of people that think TESIV is better than III. That's not a bad thing, it just says a lot about their tolerance for things, I think.

Well it's kind of a bad thing but I like those giant bomb boys.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I honestly don't understand how people can't enjoy the Giant Bombcast. When they're not talking about games it's funny, and when they are talking about games it's funny and informative.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I honestly don't understand how people can't enjoy the Giant Bombcast. When they're not talking about games it's funny, and when they are talking about games it's funny and informative.

Some people just hate FUN. Fun-haters!

aBlank on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm about to leave for my fortnightly 4-hour trip to visit my fiancée and will be listening to Giant Bomb's GOTY Deliberations podcast. This might be the first time a single podcast takes up most of the trip.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When Brad started talking about spoilers on this weeks Giant Bombcast I immediately thought of this forum.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mc zany wrote: »
    When Brad started talking about spoilers on this weeks Giant Bombcast I immediately thought of this forum.

Not talking about Andale (SPOILER: They're cannibals) was a bit much, but what he did last week was kind of Not Cool.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm about to leave for my fortnightly 4-hour trip to visit my fiancée and will be listening to Giant Bomb's GOTY Deliberations podcast. This might be the first time a single podcast takes up most of the trip.
    That one... that one's intense. We don't get to hear those guys' disagreements often, so it's a different part of their personalities that comes through there. I have newfound respect for Brad and his ability to only make sensible points throughout an entire 4 hour linguistic tug of war.

Also, I still find it funny that there are incidents related to Vinny's disapproval of Flower.
    Behemoth wrote: »

Not talking about Andale (SPOILER: They're cannibals) was a bit much, but what he did last week was kind of Not Cool.
    Apparently I'm the only one that wasn't bothered by that.

Monger on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I enjoyed hearing what Brad had to say last week

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Giant Bomb guys (bomb squad?) are very good. I've been listening to them since the podcast was called "Arrow Pointing Down" and they have gotten a lot better over time - and they were good to start with. I like the fact that they do not harp and pontificate on the state of "game journalism" at all, even though if anyone has a right to bitch it's Jeff Gerstmann. The Shawn Elliott ceaseless banging of that drum dragged down GFW Radio.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Shawn Elliott ceaseless banging of that drum dragged down GFW Radio.
    Shawn Elliott is Shawn Elliott. Eventually, you get inside his head and realize that he's a much smarter and more sensible guy than he comes off as, and then his weird awkward dickishness gets kind of amusing in some kind of post-ironic way. Which is what he's going for. Or something. It's all very confusing and maybe a little scary.

Basically, just just go "Oh, that Shawn!" and everything's peachy.

Monger on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Which is funny because the Bombcast is normally Spoiler Central. They seem to think that if you haven't played a game after it's been out for a couple months, you're never going to.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't really mind their spoiler talk

Don't really care about ME2 either but it didn't seem like that big a spoiler?

Meh, I fucking murdered Wrex's stupid ass in the first game anyways so yeah

If you haven't played a game within months of release, just get used to the fact that you're gonna hear spoilers though, Vegan. At release, you have a small window in which you might hear something. With every passing day, the window gets bigger.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Most podcasts either put spoiler timestamps in the notes or interject in the audio itself to tell you when to fast forward to. That would be nice, is all. They're welcome to talk about whatever they want but they very often drop S-bombs without so much as a "hey, spoiler warning".

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Did you just call a spoiler an "S-bomb"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

He totally did.

Also, the spoiler they mentioned made me REALLY want to play the game. I got to really liking Wrex and Shephard's interactions, even if it was just "Wrex." "Shephard."

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Most podcasts either put spoiler timestamps in the notes or interject in the audio itself to tell you when to fast forward to. That would be nice, is all. They're welcome to talk about whatever they want but they very often drop S-bombs without so much as a "hey, spoiler warning".

Yeah, that's sort of just lazy on their part if they spoil without so much as a warning. In the type of job they have, they should be more forgiving to that sort of thing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »

He totally did.

Also, the spoiler they mentioned made me REALLY want to play the game. I got to really liking Wrex and Shephard's interactions, even if it was just "Wrex." "Shephard."

There's a hilarious part in this week's bombcast where they muse on what it'll be like to visit the krogan homeworld.

Shepard. Shepard. Shepard.
    Shepard.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I get pissed off at spoilers in a podcast, but if someone does it by mistake, or apologizes for it or something, that's fine.

I do not appreciate it when they get all snarky over it and go "ooh, maybe you shouldn't be listening to the podcast, OOOH" - well, no shit, I wouldn't have if you had actually told me about it beforehand. If you can't take 0.5 seconds out of your valuable time to say "spoiler alert": fuck you. At least give people the choice.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok,

So I tried episode 4 of Host Migration this week. I am not sure who this podcast is for, but it is not for me. A 20 minute conversation on why Call of Duty is broken is really too much.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone still watching Co-op? I'm starting to get annoyed at it. The last two weeks were just a 2009 recap, with most games getting a minute or two each, Ryan talking for like 50% of each episode (where he admitted that his dislike of Demon's Souls was based off like 10 minutes of playing it) and a lot of games getting skipped over/dismissed. That while games like Bayonetta, Darksiders and Mass Effect 2 are getting released.

Now it seems like they're going live or something:
    For now, the best way to participate in CO-OP Live will be to follow the show's Twitter at http://twitter.com/coop_live. We're going to try to have a live chat active as well. For now, the community participation part will come in at the end of the show. Ask us (and the guests that agree to stick around) questions at the end of our show or just comment and agree/disagree with our assessment of the games we cover. We've got plans for whole new slates of content above and beyond the normal CO-OP offerings for CO-OP Live. Make sure you head over to Area5.tv for a full blog-post update on how things are going to change for us and for you!
    http://revision3.com/coop/co-opepisode-316

I really can't see that working too well.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is anyone still listening to 4 Guys 1 Up, for that matter? It seems to get more boring and square by the episode.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nope. I've brought up my dislike of David Ellis a few times but I've still listened to a couple of episodes. Last one I tried was the Ellis/John Davison one and it was just them making stupid predictions up and patting themselves on the back for a couple of hours. Really not interesting.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Vegan wrote: »
    Is anyone still listening to 4 Guys 1 Up, for that matter? It seems to get more boring and square by the episode.

I stoped listening to them at least a year before 1up yours ended. Garnet had no control as a host, and just let the other people constantly spew forum level fanboyism everywhere. And while I can tollerate 2 hour giantbombcasts, the podcasts had no concept of restraint and were usually about twice as long as they needed to be.

Also, I think that the last 3 Co-ops were just stuff they pre-taped before christmas. They used to take breaks back during the 1up show days too. Plus, it's not like they always cover the latest games the instant they come out anyway. Dragon age came took 2 weeks before they covered it, for example.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Giant Bombcast is pretty awesome. I'm still looking for a second podcast that I like though, because I like listening to that on my commute and I'd like more good content to listen to.

For now, I'm just listening to NPR podcasts until I figure out one I want to listen to on a regular basis.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My favorite weekly's are the Giant Bombcast and the Player One Podcast.

I'm rather suspicious of Co-op going to a live show...I'm afraid it will lose the personality/style that has defined their show since the 1up days.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pretty sad that the only podcast I'm really looking forward to at this point is the Giant Bombcast.

Rebel FM is also still decent, but that's it. God damn it.

Edit: I tried Player One, but I cannot stand Greg Ford and they also spent 30 minutes talking about NASCAR games. Come on.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rebel FM just feels like a sad empty shell with 2 men and a cat farting into a microphone for an hour and ahalf every week talking about what chinese food there ordering for takeout.

And it isnt as nearly fun as I describe it above.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All videogame podcasts are universally terrible. Just not enough stuff worth talking about each week.

Monthly ones aren't much better, but there are a couple of "radio" style specials worth having a listen to.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Guido,

People here pointed me to the Some Other Castle podcast which I like. Also, Kotaku just relaunched their podcast. I also listen to Game Scoop and This Week in Tech, but that is mostly just filler.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh god, another thing that's been annoying me. Fitch on the Geekbox. I can (usually) tolerate his weeaboo rubbish, but it's the insistance that's he's 29 that really annoys me. No one gives a crap if you're in your 30's you goose. Oh and while I'm fine with someone saying that don't like Avatar, saying its CG is bad is absolutely ridiculous.

If I didn't like Burn Notice so much, I'd probably just drop Geekbox (leaving the Bombcast as my only podcast). They need to make Brock a regular though, he balances out Fitch's complete lack of a penis.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    All videogame podcasts are universally terrible. Just not enough stuff worth talking about each week.

Monthly ones aren't much better, but there are a couple of "radio" style specials worth having a listen to.

Wrong, Bombcast is always great.

Retronauts is very good as well (though not weekly), and I've only listened to one episode of Active Time Babble but I liked that a lot too. As much as he hates it, Jeremy Parrish does excellent podcasts.

elevature on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Edit: I tried Player One, but I cannot stand Greg Ford and they also spent 30 minutes talking about NASCAR games. Come on.

I don't mind going on at length on obscure topics, but I think that if they are going to do that for a half hour, they should go all out and dedicate that episode to that topic, giving listeners a primer on a topic a week or so. Doubt there's anything like that out there, though.

The Listener on