Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

{[Let's Go to School!]} FALL ADMISSIONS 2010 GO GO GO

1575859606163»

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    If more English classes were like "here, write a story about anything you want" instead of "explain what plato meant by talking about a cave or thoreau meant by slow down and go outside" and i'm like "bitch, ignorance is death and so is the city"

and apparently that's not an academic argument

and then you gotta be sensitive to other people's problems and shit and i just don't care for their problems.

filling out a white privilege checklist before we started talking about mlk, jr was outstandingly retarded.

i dunno. i'd never have read the republic or walden without academic studies and now i'm doing theses on comics and detective fiction so v :) v

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    orik, yeah man you got a good deal.

i hope you get much enjoyment out of it and maybe you can publish a book or something and i'll send you a case of sailor j.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Ya, my undergrad had separate majors for English and Writing. English was the "read stuff that dead people wrote and write about it" part and Writing was the part where you write your own stuff and occasionally read stories and essays with an eye towards how to do it.

I took classes from both programs and did an English minor. I really like creative writing as a hobby, but I really have to force myself to do any kind of writing - I don't have that drive some people have where they have to write things or go crazy.

I wish I had that.

What I actually have is ideas that I get all excited about, and then I sit down to write them and it gets hard and I hate what I've written and I lose interest.

Fortunately I've been keeping up a steady routine for about two months now, but it's mostly by willpower. The amount of effort you have to put in for the payoff of fully executing an idea is a killer.

The Genius of the Daleks

Latest upload: Chapter Five on 13th of March, 2014
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll read your book!

I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Butler wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Ya, my undergrad had separate majors for English and Writing. English was the "read stuff that dead people wrote and write about it" part and Writing was the part where you write your own stuff and occasionally read stories and essays with an eye towards how to do it.

I took classes from both programs and did an English minor. I really like creative writing as a hobby, but I really have to force myself to do any kind of writing - I don't have that drive some people have where they have to write things or go crazy.

I wish I had that.

What I actually have is ideas that I get all excited about, and then I sit down to write them and it gets hard and I hate what I've written and I lose interest.

Fortunately I've been keeping up a steady routine for about two months now, but it's mostly by willpower. The amount of effort you have to put in for the payoff of fully executing an idea is a killer.

Yeah, sometimes I envy people who have that. But other times it's almost like an addiction. Plus it must really suck to have the irresistible drive to write and nobody wants to buy your stuff.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    I'll read your book!

I hope you like Doctor Who!

The Genius of the Daleks

Latest upload: Chapter Five on 13th of March, 2014
  • <3&lt;3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hectorse wrote: »
    Apparently Stanford is sending acceptance emails right now, and I haven't got anything. First bad news

I don't think they send out all the admissions right away. It's probably rolling out.

edited January 2010
    I'm hoping for that. Haven't heard from Stanford either.
    (Not that they're likely to love me.)

I write about math here:
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Celandine, they will accept you because you are a WOMAN and the white man will just have to keep carrying his burden

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Celandine, they will accept you because you are a WOMAN and the white man will just have to keep carrying his burden

She is white though.

Kind of evens out.

I wish I was an exotic woman

edited January 2010
    There is a boobie bonus, but you'd be surprised how many qualified women there are out there. I'm sure it'll improve my odds overall, but at a place like Stanford, it means bupkes.

For example. The Alice T. Schafer prize? I wasn't even shortlisted. Nobody from my school was nominated.
    There are people like these out there.

I write about math here:
  • <3&lt;3 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really don't know how some people are so... accomplished already. Six published papers by Junior year?

edited January 2010
    At my university, no professor would ever put the name of an undergraduate as an author. I was basically DOA on the publishing front from the beginning

• MorgensternMorgenstern Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got into the Rotman School of Management (U of Toronto) MBA program for next fall.

I'm going to be broke as fuck in two years, but maybe I'll get a respectable job again at the end of it.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited January 2010
    I got into the Rotman School of Management (U of Toronto) MBA program for next fall.

I'm going to be broke as fuck in two years, but maybe I'll get a respectable job again at the end of it.

How much is a program like that?

edited January 2010
    Too much. $70k Canadian.

I won't be taking a loan for it, but I'll be pretty much depleting a good chunk of my RRSPs.

Edit: Here, this gives you a better breakdown of it than the actual Rotman site.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/toronto.html

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited January 2010
    Too much. $70k Canadian.

I won't be taking a loan for it, but I'll be pretty much depleting a good chunk of my RRSPs.

Edit: Here, this gives you a better breakdown of it than the actual Rotman site.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/toronto.html

That's a lot of money for a business degree

edited January 2010
    It's a lot of money for a program that hooks you up with enough connections to land you +$100k jobs right out of the program. Plus, I already have an engineering degree. It's not going to hurt me.

edited January 2010
    It's a lot of money for a program that hooks you up with enough connections to land you +$100k jobs right out of the program. Plus, I already have an engineering degree. It's not going to hurt me.

Engineering+MBA seems the way to go

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    I love wolfram alpha

as well as teaching me maths, it has replaced wikipedia for checking people quoting statistics in arguments

No. As somebody who uses this stuff very regularly, Wolfram Alpha has a way of defining things in the most fucked-up way possible. Compare Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia on, say, "direct limit" or "random walk." Wikipedia on math is excellent and detailed; Wolfram somehow manages to give you short but useless definitions.
    Also I hate Mathematica's capitalization conventions.

Picture4-10.png

this still works, btw

• unintentionalunintentional Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    silly geese in a silly goose you mean

i'm out, follow me on twitter @uninten , steam is GaryMyNemesis
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    that's not an insult that is math

This discussion has been closed.