As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] I hear there's a sale on

• stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quantz seems pretty neat. It is a 3d bust a move with different types of balls on the cube that you rotate. In action mode, you can flick the cube and have the non frozen ones fly off temporarily to regroup them, and you can decide which balls disappear after getting a 4 or 5 color combo by turning the cube so the falling fireballs hit the right groups. I haven't gotten very far into it yet though, but so far it is a worthy purchase. Anything that that price is really - less than a cup of coffee.

stigweard on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 65 games worth: $734.36

Hmm, I thought it'd be more than that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 195 games worth: $2,425.09

D:

EDIT: My steam has it's own 250GB harddrive which it has maxed out and there is a pile of uninstalled games on there, so I am getting it a new HDD.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There must be a bug, because I think the Steam Calculator says I own 1 game at 0 dollars, when I really shouldn't have any games.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm thinking about picking up Dawn of Discovery from the D2D sale. Anyone here have it?

Babble on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I keep getting errors about my transactions going through and now I am getting errors about my transactions not even being initialized.

EVERYONE! STOP BREAKING STEAM!

edit: oh, now we broke the forums as well.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Also: What is the default resolution for Mirror's Edge and how do I change it? My 22 inch monitor is bitching that the input signal is out of range.

Right click, properties, set launch options.
    -w <width>
    Height is determined automatically from this.

If this doesn't work, then I would guess some config file somewhere, but I wouldn't know for ME.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, I ended up getting Mirror's Edge. I downloaded the QuantZ demo, but I'll test that out a bit later tonight.

SteevL on
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd like an invite to this mythical Steam group, please.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kemlo

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I keep getting errors about my transactions going through and now I am getting errors about my transactions not even being initialized.

EVERYONE! STOP BREAKING STEAM!

edit: oh, now we broke the forums as well.
    This sale only confirms what I have long suspected: Valve has within them the power to destroy the internet, should they so whim. Obviously, we must appease the servers with blood, so that they bless us with their favor.

I nominate Lewie.

Monger on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Babble wrote: »
    I'm thinking about picking up Dawn of Discovery from the D2D sale. Anyone here have it?

It's apparently very good, but I haven't played it.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    What's the community like for Mirror's Edge? Does it even have any sort of MP aspect or is it strictly SP? $5 is just too small of an amount to pass up for anything.

Singleplayer only. There are leaderboards for time trials, but they're filled with cheaters.

Peewi on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Steam keeps eatin my update progression for Dawn of War II and Saints Row II. I think it hates II.

SkutSkut on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    semi-steam related question;

I just picked up KOTOR when it was on sale and since there is no widescreen resolution options in the menu does anyone know how to set a radeon (4850 specifically) to not stretch an image on a widescreen monitor?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 55 games worth: 678.51€

That seems alright, how do people with over 100 games even manage their account?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While we are inviting to the steam group! Me

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I just picked up KOTOR when it was on sale and since there is no widescreen resolution options in the menu does anyone know how to set a radeon (4850 specifically) to not stretch an image on a widescreen monitor?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120504&highlight=knights+republic#120504

No native support, so it takes some work.....Though i thought there was an easier way.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    This sale only confirms what I have long suspected: Valve has within them the power to destroy the internet, should they so whim. Obviously, we must appease the servers with blood, so that they bless us with their favor.

That's blood magic talk, that is. Alistair!

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Finally I survived the sale, haven't even bought anything in the past two days.

Xtarath on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Babble wrote: »

It's apparently very good, but I haven't played it.

It's excellent, I highly recommend it.

Also, "You own 61 games worth: $987.44" which makes me sad to think that just covers Steam. Even with sales, this isn't a cheap hobby.

PolloDiablo on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So like 30KB/s on Mirror's Edge...

This'll take a while.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, I'm ticking at 9 kb/s for ME - I can normally get 200 kb/s. Consider yourself lucky :P

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mirror's Edge = $5
    Monkey Island Remake = $2.50

Don't do this to me, Steam!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just a reminder: Riddick still has TAGES, and it is still limited to 3 installations total, EVER. No getting an installation back on uninstall, and no intention on any parties' end to supply a revocation tool. The best we got are some vague statements on the developer's forum about a new .exe once the DRM has served its purpose.

For $10, I'm mostly alright with that. Not happy, but whatever. Just thought I'd remind anybody who was thinking about purchasing it, though.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Download region of UK's still giving me about 600 KB/s for downloading Monkey Island. Just got done with Mirror's Edge at the same rate.

Try setting your download region to UK, see if that helps. Or maybe one of the other regions. And don't forget about TCP view (although strangely I didn't need to use it this time).

subedii on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just a reminder: Riddick still has TAGES, and it is still limited to 3 installations total, EVER.
    That's pretty bullshit, as I tend to swap steam games to my larger hard disk regularly.

Still probably going to get it and finish it one go when I got the time. Never played riddick.

Alegis on
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    You own 55 games worth: 678.51€

That seems alright, how do people with over 100 games even manage their account?

Having 225 entries on the "My games" list I have long since stopped using it since it's just way to long, made short-cuts and added them to a folder on my desktop instead.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just a reminder: Riddick still has TAGES, and it is still limited to 3 installations total, EVER. No getting an installation back on uninstall, and no intention on any parties' end to supply a revocation tool. The best we got are some vague statements on the developer's forum about a new .exe once the DRM has served its purpose.

For $10, I'm mostly alright with that. Not happy, but whatever. Just thought I'd remind anybody who was thinking about purchasing it, though.

ffffuuuuuu

God I hate DRM. I regret buying Riddick now. I hate to give money to companies that fuck customers in the asshole while thieves get the better product.

PolloDiablo on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I felt the same way about Riddick with the D2D $5 sale. I figured for $5 if I play it once and it disappears forever at least I got my money out of it. Still a kind of shitty move on the publishers part. I mailed both the dev and the publisher letting them know I would have been happy to pay full price on release if it didn't have that stupid DRM. Probably didn't mean a damn thing, but made me feel better.

IdolNinja on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Someone mind throwing me an invite to the PA group? Profile link's in my sig.

Thanks.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • jambojambo AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You own 476 games worth: $8,161.31

jambo on
    lMX1i.jpg
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is Mirror's Edge worth $5?

SithDrummer on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well I just broke down and got Mirror's Edge and Monkey Island for $7.50.. I feel so.. cheap and dirty

remlap13 on
    edited December 2009

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120504&highlight=knights+republic#120504

No native support, so it takes some work.....Though i thought there was an easier way.

Yeah I saw that; I just don't care for the steam solution they have.

I know I used to have my PC set to not stretch 4:3 games to the 16:9 resolution of my monitor just leaving black bars; but I can't find it now in the settings.

The Dude With Herpes on

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone know how to get KotOR to work on Windows 7 without downgrading drivers?

Pretty good sale, I got the THQ pack (was thinking of picking it up anyways and $50 off was great), KotOR, and Evil Genius. Should have picked up Borderlands while it was on sale, but I'll just wait for it get cheap or go on sale again.

Invisible on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Just a reminder: Riddick still has TAGES, and it is still limited to 3 installations total, EVER.
    That's pretty bullshit, as I tend to swap steam games to my larger hard disk regularly.

Still probably going to get it and finish it one go when I got the time. Never played riddick.

Moving Steam apps to another hard drive shouldn't be a problem. The system should only click in and require another activation if it's moved to an entirely new computer (or the current machine's hardware profile is changed). This is the theory, anyway.

Still doesn't make it completely stupid and pointless, since actual pirates have no such restrictions. But it wouldn't be the modern PC gaming experience if publishers didn't treat their customers like potential criminals, natch.

Zxerol on
    edited December 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get KotOR to work on Windows 7 without downgrading drivers?

Pretty good sale, I got the THQ pack (was thinking of picking it up anyways and $50 off was great), KotOR, and Evil Genius. Should have picked up Borderlands while it was on sale, but I'll just wait for it get cheap or go on sale again.

kotor works fine for me in windows 7 minus the resolution stretching I mentioned in my previous post; with up to date radeon drivers.

Also, Borderlands is only $39.99 at amazon with free shipping. I imagine it'll be down to $19.99 by years end since Gearbox has made it somewhat clear they're not going to give the PC version any support/DLC.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Riddick TAGES
    The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine," they explained. "The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don’t change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system."

The question is, what happens then? "If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if it’s a legitimate request you can get a new activation code."

ATI Aspect Ratio
    I believe this is how you get there. You need to use a desktop resolution lower than your monitor's native, like the thread says.

Edit: For anyone familiar with D2D, I decided to check out D2D for the first time and grab Mass Effect. They seem to have their own patches and BDtS download. Does that mean I can't use the downloads from Bioware's site? Do D2D games pretty much always need to use D2D's special patchs?

Bruce Forsyth on
    edited December 2009
    Exin wrote: »
    Riddick TAGES
    The protection on the PC version of The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is an activation system with online authentication required the first time you install the game on a machine," they explained. "The activation code lets you install the game on up to 3 machines, with an unlimited number of installs on each assuming that you don’t change any major hardware in your PC or re-install your operating system."

The question is, what happens then? "If you reach the maximum number of installations you can contact the Atari hotline and if it’s a legitimate request you can get a new activation code."

ATI Aspect Ratio
    I believe this is how you get there. You need to use a desktop resolution lower than your monitor's native, like the thread says.

Edit: For anyone familiar with D2D, I decided to check out D2D for the first time and grab Mass Effect. They seem to have their own patches and BDtS download. Does that mean I can't use the downloads from Bioware's site? Do D2D games pretty much always need to use D2D's special patchs?

Hmm..no matter what I change my desktop resolution to those boxes remain grayed out. :(

EDIT: Nevermind; you have to change the aspect ratio to something different than your monitors native setting (or at least that is what I had to do) and it will open up.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Exin wrote: »

As I am aware of it, D2D games require specific D2D patches.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.