As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAG BETA- Thoughts and bitching!

samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
I've been playing the Beta for a few day now and I've got a few problems that I would like ya'll opinion on. First is team balance. I play as Raven who have good aim (supposedly) but low damage. Sever is suppose to be the opposite with shitty aim (cough) and high damage. However, I've picked up their guns before and when head hunting, killing 5 in a row with headshots. Most Ravens are staying away from Domination mode as Sever maps provide great cover for them and force attackers to either run in the open or bunch together to be grenade'd. Kicking teamkillers is great but I've come across the problem of their being only one person being voted on. If the teamkiller can get a vote on someone before they vote him then he is safe. I know its a Beta but the problems are already making me not to want the final produce. Whats your take on the beta and whats some of the things you might like to see? Do you plan on getting the game?

samurai6966 on

• Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is the only thread I could find about this game. (I might be clinically retarded though).

Seems there are new beta files in the Playstation Store (NA only). Apparently the game has gone gold. You can DL the beta now and it unlocks on the 4th and goes to the 10th. Im looking forward to trying this. Could be fun!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jayshermanitstinksq.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Having the two opposing teams in a competitive FPS have different abilities/stats is retarded game design.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got a key for this back at PAX (during closed beta) and played it for a bit. It was fun, but I can't say it really clicked with me. They didn't have any of the 256-player maps open, though, so I probably should reload the client and give some more of the content a try.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I got a key for this back at PAX (during closed beta) and played it for a bit. It was fun, but I can't say it really clicked with me. They didn't have any of the 256-player maps open, though, so I probably should reload the client and give some more of the content a try.

Aren't the 256 player maps pretty much exactly the same, you just have all the players playing their own games in the background?

Morkath on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno, they weren't ever opened when I was in the beta.

And I didn't really care enough about the game to go look it up for myself.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Having the two opposing teams in a competitive FPS have different abilities/stats is retarded game design.

It's not necessarily retarded game design, but it is definitely very hard to balance.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

*Cough*Natural Selection*cough*

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I didnt know the different teams had different stats. Thats a bit stupid.
    I was hoping for a good solid shooter with some fun objectives. Something battlefield like. Maybe ill stick with 1943 + Bad Company 2

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's not necessarily retarded game design, but it is definitely very hard to balance.

Then again, we have Alien Vs. Predator multiplayer coming up and that looks pretty sweet. It just feels that in this game it's going to be an endless stream of whining from one of the sides.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Funny, I was just gonna go dumpster dive for a thread about this. I'll begin by saying "Hmm, ~200mb download for this? Cool, I'll check it out." I'll finish by saying that when I went to play it for the first time about 20 minutes ago, my next thought was "Huh, a 1.83 GIG 'update' file. Fuck YOU, MAG. Fuck YOU."

Fawst on
  • Options
    BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When I was in the Qore beta and checked the qore beta boards, most of the complaints were in regards to maps being more/less defensible than each other, not so much weapon balance. I tried all three sides(most of my time was spent on SVER, then Valor, and Raven in that order). The guns don't have a huge difference. MW2's weapons have more disparity among them than MAG does.

The game does an above average job at handling the sheer latency involved with 256 people, and most of the people then were pretty good at teamwork/getting offensives or defensive shifts rolling. I'm sure the public beta and actual release will completely fuck that factor over when GIFT takes its toll.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Servers aren't up yet, right? Cause I wanna give the beta one last try, considering I said "fuck this" to the massive in-game update that you can't background download.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thoughts?

I spawn in, look around to see where I am... blam blam blam, I'm dead.

Waiting on respawn.

Bitching?

No reason to do so, I deleted the beta after about 8 straight rounds of this, and have pretty much written the title off.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was interested in this due to the player count, but after watching some video previews and other footage, it just looks clunky and visually a slightly sharper PS2 game. With Modern Warfare 2 out and Bad Company 2 around the corner, I don't know if MAG will be on my multiplayer shooter list.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I guess it might be more fun if you could play with some PA people? I wasn't even aware the servers were back up yet.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yea, the servers come up on the 4th, so I'll judge then

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can't say I find the idea of a game whose sole selling point is the number of players in a server to be that appealing, does it have any other noteworthy features?

Zek on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought the scale of the battles was interesting, squads moving around the field for different objectives with an overall battle map showing how each front is going.

But at the same time, you're still just shooting mans. This is just in an MMO sort of setting.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Whats the pricing like? is it a cheaper PSN game?

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought in terms of gameplay and technology it was perfectly competent, but the title suffers from a complete lack of personality. I won't be renting it or even buying it used on the cheap.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Chance wrote: »
    I thought in terms of gameplay and technology it was perfectly competent, but the title suffers from a complete lack of personality. I won't be renting it or even buying it used on the cheap.

By the time you'd find it cheap, it will probably be hard to find 256 people games going.

It's a shame that the beta came at the same time as the BF:BC2 one, because it did a few interesting things, but there's no way that I'd buy the game for anything more than, say, $20. At which point ^.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah really, without a point to any of it, it's basically 256 mans shooting at each other. I guess PC gamers have been doing that for a while (Tribes was a PA Gabe fave) but really, I just don't see a point to a mindless shooter in a sea of shooters with a point. A multiplayer only game? I like the idea but not how it has been executed, and not at 60 bucks (I assume.)

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was very unimpressed. I played it for about an hour to try and give it a chance, the combat was bland, I didn't really find anything very worthwhile in the game. I suppose it would be more fun with a group of friends all in the same squad or something, but the thing is, that wouldn't be the game being fun - it'd just be my friends that were fun.

Won't be renting/buying and won't recommend it to anyone.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I feel a little bad for Zipper - they're doing something very ambitious and unique and just kinda... messing up the execution. Not the mechanics or the technology, I mean, but the presentation. The game's just not interesting.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah- the more I look into this game the less interested I am.

I get that they are going for online only action and wanting to really push the size of the battles- but I feel like they forgot to take a step back and think about what would make this game interesting. With such a large player count the really could have some up with some interesting mechanics- but its looking too run of the mill to me right now. Maybe I'll rent it when it comes out or something just to frantically shoot at people.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I kind of thought it would be like Enemy Territory x more missions on the map + 256 people for $20-$40 or something. Didnt realize it was a full on $60 game.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sometimes I'm really sad that my skepticism towards "new,groundbreaking" things usually pays off.

Ah well,I'm sure lots of people will enjoy it and buy it to support their platform.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was really sad how dull the game is. I would like to see team rewards like if a squad destroys an enemy's satellite communication controls while holding key areas they would get an airstrike or a tank dropped from a plane. Or winning the same battle gives your side ownership of it so you would start defending it instead of attacking. The game needs work before I'd buy it.

samurai6966 on