As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 110th congress starts tomorrow

12346»

• Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    CCG-Pearl-D20.jpg

mcc on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:
    I would think it's something that balances two things:

*To account for inflation, had the wage been raised regularly, the actual number should be in the $9 range.
    *However, when one nearly doubles the minimum wage all at once, yeah, then I can start to buy the we-have-to-fire-people argument.

What we wind up with is about half of what the number should be- a big make-up-for-lost-time jump without being so big as to be painful.

Also, consider this:

*The current minimum, $5.15, is at or above the current state minimums of 21 states.
    *The raise to $7.25 will raise the minimums in those states, plus 21 more (plus DC) in which the minimum is above $5.15 but below $7.25.
    *The remaining 8 states are all well below the $9-or-so range that would be in effect with inflation, the highest minimum being Washington at $7.93.

So, $7.25 = big but not staggering, $9 = OWIEOWIEOWIEOWIEOWIE.

Honestly? I think the logic was this:

"What's the absolute highest we can make it and still get it to pass?"

I don't think much economic consideration went into it. But I'm a big fucking cynic.

No, their policy on this comes from a circle of former public officials and intellectuals around Robert Reich, Clinton's secretary of labor. So I don't think it was a politically chosen number.

Shinto on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    geckahn wrote:
    Whats with you and semantics?
    Sorry, but the statement that America's lowest paid workers haven't gotten a raise in a decade is demonstrably false and misleading and is at the core of why people incorrectly think minwage raises actually do anything. Unless, of course, you aren't actually talking about real people, and instead talking about some theoretical collective.

Yar on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Really, on the minimum wage, it mostly just improves the ability of people to move to different areas.

If you're coming from a cow town and moving to New York...
    cowboy_promo.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    is this a useful site?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    Alexan DriteAlexan Drite Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In all the hub-bub about how the President isn't listening to Congress this little gem snuck on by.
    There are klingons in the White House!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-RqyLcDFfw

Going to be a great two years.

Alexan Drite on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In all the hub-bub about how the President isn't listening to Congress this little gem snuck on by.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

It's a great analogy, but only if you're an enormous geek.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007

Someone posted that a few days ago.

There was another one where a guy was using the names of Elvis songs in his speech. "The Republicans are going to be all shook up - uh huh."

They really put me in mind of the Santorum/Lord the the Rings speech.

Congressmen are such a disappointing lot.

Shinto on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    100 hours agenda already finished, finishing in actually either 74 hours or 34 hours of clocked-in Congresional hours, depending on how you count.

Now the House has to start doing actual work, and the Senate and President have to get busy with burying the wildly popular and fairly common sense "100 hours" items so that they are never signed into law or in general heard from again.

mcc on