As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Seal Electrician, Now what? Trade Career Advice

SloSlo Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Canadian Electricians = Red Seal Certified = American Master Electrician (afaik)

Alright, so I may not have my red seal YET, but I'm fairly close and confident in the fact that i'll finish my school easily.

My question for anyone here that might have an idea, is what kind of specialization or combination of tradeskills might net me the best kind of job.

Im on the road to becoming a foreman for a decent company right now, and thats great, but looking at the other jobs out there I can't help but wonder what else I could do with certification.

For example, I hear Lineman/Electricians get paid well since lineman can't legally terminate anything they pull, and have to call an electritian to finish the job.

I know its kind of a specialized request, but hey, if anyone knows any options, or where I can get some options (I've looked around online) that'd be great.

Slo on

• Options
    strakha_7strakha_7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a second year electrical apprentice in BC. You're closer to finishing than I am, in fact I've been out of the industry for most of this year. But here's some things to consider:

What kind of work have you been doing? If all you've done is new commercial and residential, look for some industrial experience. The more experience with control systems the better off you'll be. Also, renovation experience is going to be a huge asset in the future. New construction will not be a backbone of our trade as it was for the past ten years any time soon.

Getting the Linesmen ticket is an awesome idea. This will definitely make your more valuable. You're looking at another two years of schooling and work for a hydro company. You will probably have to relocate.

I forget what it's called right now, BC has a onsite safety inspector certification - this allows a journeyman with sufficient experience to claim he has personally inspected the work on site (only up to 200A/240V) and finds it meets code. This is definitely a good thing to get if your province has something like this. No, being a journeyman does not mean your work doesn't need to get phoned in for inspection. It does, and this ticket can speed things up in BC anyways.

Otherwise, congrats on finishing the apprenticeship - it's a tough time for newbies! Got me back to undergrad though, so there is that.

Good luck.

strakha_7 on
    Want a signature? Find a post by ElJeffe and quote a random sentence!
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Zero tolerance policies are almost invariably terrible.

One might say I have zero tolerance for them.