As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Allods Online] OB ON! We went League on Tensess.

• Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, I took a look at that vid. I was thinking "Ah, f2p, probably going to look pretty mediocre" but I am pleasantly surprised. Those techno undead look freaking sick as hell, and the male orcs are badasses too. Definitely seems a little more put-together than the average f2p fare.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    ChuckNorrisTypeRChuckNorrisTypeR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    Wow, I took a look at that vid. I was thinking "Ah, f2p, probably going to look pretty mediocre" but I am pleasantly surprised. Those techno undead look freaking sick as hell, and the male orcs are badasses too. Definitely seems a little more put-together than the average f2p fare.

I went back into wow tonight after being in the Allods world lately I have to say I never really noticed how terrible wow looks, the trees are like textured triangles Allods is quite refreshing visually.

ChuckNorrisTypeR on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZoonpZoonp Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Here's one good video of the Astral ships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RuhBtW8XU

Looks pretty epic.

Zoonp on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Did that ship just explode because he couldn't find a repair station for that goblin? :P Whooooops.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feb 10th looks like OB time, for the US at least.
    I wonder if that goes for the Euro servers as well.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Joril wrote: »

Where'd you learn that at?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Over at the Allods(.com) forum
    Due to the overwhelming response from players and the need to further test the latest patch, we have decided to extend Closed Beta Test #4 for an additional week, through February 10th
    I just realised I might be reading this wrong as I don't know if there'll be downtime between CB and OB. I saw the site had changed so I figured the game is gearing up for the public.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Over at the Allods(.com) forum
    Due to the overwhelming response from players and the need to further test the latest patch, we have decided to extend Closed Beta Test #4 for an additional week, through February 10th
    I just realised I might be reading this wrong as I don't know if there'll be downtime between CB and OB. I saw the site had changed so I figured the game is gearing up for the public.

Yeah. I figured there would be a little bit of downtime between the two. Maybe a week or two?

I'd be great if it started right after. OB = launch.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm just shocked that the guys who made Silent Storm are making this. No wonder there's so much quality for a F2P game.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm just shocked that the guys who made Silent Storm are making this. No wonder there's so much quality for a F2P game.
    And they've made 3 strategy games in the same universe already. They know it like the back of their hand.

(Basically, they're the Russian Blizzard)

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was completely ignoring this until I saw that video of the pilotable ship.

Is that gameplay a big part of the game? Is it actually fun? The video showed alot of graphical features, but not much gameplay.

The ships remind me of some of the features certain text based MUD's would include, where you could pilot fully customizable and enterable airships across airspaces and sometimes even the gameworld.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    I was completely ignoring this until I saw that video of the pilotable ship.

Is that gameplay a big part of the game? Is it actually fun? The video showed alot of graphical features, but not much gameplay.

The ships remind me of some of the features certain text based MUD's would include, where you could pilot fully customizable and enterable airships across airspaces and sometimes even the gameworld.
    It's really an end-game kind of thing and it seems to be a huge part of the end-game (both pvp and pve) content. I wouldn't expect the same freedom with them as in a MUD, mind.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game looks interesting enough, but I just can't get behind the F2P Cash Shop subscription model. I just can't imagine a F2P game with something resembling a decent community.

I'd actually be more interested if it was P2P.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This game looks interesting enough, but I just can't get behind the F2P Cash Shop subscription model. I just can't imagine a F2P game with something resembling a decent community.

Eh, Puzzle Pirates had a decent community to it. I'm not intimate enough with other free MMOs. I usually just bully friends or PAers into playing with me and don't bother with the rest of the players. I assume that at the early levels people won't be social to you, but once they're hooked and start spending money they're gonna try and get more out of the game and will start to interact more with people around their level.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

As it stands, the cash shop seems like it is one of the better ones i've seen. It is trying to sell convince instead of selling things you MUST buy.

If paying for a game is something you have a problem with, that's a different story. Look at it this way, you pay into a cash shop the same way you'd pay into a subscription. If you can play and spend less than $15 a month, you're getting a good deal.

You've got to forge a community for yourself. I'm part of one that makes this game awesome.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You've got to forge a community for yourself. I'm part of one that makes this game awesome.

Speaking of which, does anyone here play on the EU servers?

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Speaking of which, does anyone here play on the EU servers?

I'm from Europe, at least. I don't know if I want to play on EU or US servers, US has more PAers, but PAers have the attention span of a little puppy when it comes to MMOs that are not WoW, so I don't know how long a PA guild would even last. Then again, EU servers have absolutely no one playing who I know (well ok, you now).

Is the publisher going to block foreign IPs anyway?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think latency and playtimes are an important factor. I played Guild Wars in a US guild and I was up early in the morning for PVP, and I can't do that anymore. So I won't be playing on a US server.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think latency and playtimes are an important factor. I played Guild Wars in a US guild and I was up early in the morning for PVP, and I can't do that anymore. So I won't be playing on a US server.
    Hm, I was in the PA guild for Dragonica and we had a pretty active little group in the evenings, not enough to do raids with or whatever though.

My problem is that I don't like looking for guilds, especially not the dumb names in F2P games, it seems the standards are even lower than in WoW.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, wow. That video looks amazing. It's encouraging to see actual gameplay that appears that smooth in a closed beta. And the art design is fantastic.

I just signed up for beta. Please, please pick me!

Teth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm a leader in the community where that video is from. We always have room for friendly faces. We're a big friendly community and have grown steadily for several years now. We hang out together despite what games we play. If you're looking for some people to hang out, chat with on Vent and game with, for Allods or any other games, stop by.

www.keenandgraev.com/forums

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Going through more videos and info on the forums, this is looking like something I can get into. Maybe dump like $30 on random crap right away since the game itself is free.

I'm definitely going to be a Giberling. Well, Giberlings. I take it seer is the CC class?

Teth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uhh...is it open beta? Because I just totally installed it, created an account, and am logged in.

Thanks Zand. Also, I'm digging this a lot - I'm just hoping for one thing and I'll be absolutely happy: an option to invert the Y-axis. I haven't played any game, console or otherwise, without the Y inverted in....man, I can't even remember.

Teth on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Teth wrote: »
    Uhh...is it open beta? Because I just totally installed it, created an account, and am logged in.

No, they pretty much just opened up the game to everyone now. It's still in CBT #4.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just got done playing through a few hours of this game. It's really, really, good.

I'd pay for a subscription to it.

I especially like how summons differ from race to race.

When I played as the Necron looking guys and got my first summon, I got a robo-scorpion that looked like it came right out of Warhammer 40K. When I played as the Empire humans, I got an undead version of one of their foot soldiers.

There's a surprising level of detail to this game. I'm surprised it's F2P. This seems like the sort of game that should be P2P and retail to me.

Now if only the servers didn't seem so dead. It's probably because it's towards the end of beta, but the city I started off in seems empty to me.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Just got done playing through a few hours of this game. It's really, really, good.

I'd pay for a subscription to it.

I especially like how summons differ from race to race.

When I played as the Necron looking guys and got my first summon, I got a robo-scorpion that looked like it came right out of Warhammer 40K. When I played as the Empire humans, I got an undead version of one of their foot soldiers.

There's a surprising level of detail to this game. I'm surprised it's F2P. This seems like the sort of game that should be P2P and retail to me.

Now if only the servers didn't seem so dead. It's probably because it's towards the end of beta, but the city I started off in seems empty to me.

Most people have been playing and have characters a little higher. This phase ends on the 10th.

It really has a staggering level of polish for a F2P MMO. This game is more polished than quite a few AAA titles.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Teth wrote: »

Thanks Zand. Also, I'm digging this a lot - I'm just hoping for one thing and I'll be absolutely happy: an option to invert the Y-axis. I haven't played any game, console or otherwise, without the Y inverted in....man, I can't even remember.

YES!
    I actually suggested this at the EU forums! To bad nobody over there cared enough to respond to the thread, and now I can't even find it anymore.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Allods Online will officially go into Open Beta on Tuesday the 16th of February. Anyone who has a gPotato.eu account will be able to play Allods Online without the worry of subscription fees! If you took part in the Closed Beta Test, you can use your same account for Allods Online once it goes live! All you will need to do is simply patch the game.

And there we have it, the official open beta date!

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Latest word was that characters created in open beta will not be deleted once the game goes live - which is awesome. Also, there have been a lot of requests for an inverted y-axis on the US forums so here's hoping *crosses fingers*. Playing with a regular y-axis makes me look like I'm playing drunk, and I doubt very seriously I can get used to it.

Teth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Allods Online will officially go into Open Beta on Tuesday the 16th of February. Anyone who has a gPotato.eu account will be able to play Allods Online without the worry of subscription fees! If you took part in the Closed Beta Test, you can use your same account for Allods Online once it goes live! All you will need to do is simply patch the game.

And there we have it, the official open beta date!

I pray its the same for NA.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, when OB starts, do all you PAers want to roll empire or league?

Lost on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lost wrote: »
    So, when OB starts, do all you PAers want to roll empire or legion?

My guild is planning on rolling League.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damnit, I was thinking League and typed Legion.
    Yeah, I don't really care either way, I played League all Close Beta, I'd just like to play with people.

Lost on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm considering playing League. The starting zone is tighter and easier to level up in. Though, I've never gotten past the first Allod so maybe I'm making a mistake there.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They're currently in the phase where the characters created will go through to Live, yes? Due to the painfully slow combat in the first beta I'm hesitant to play the game and risk having to start over yet again.

Glal on
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to roll league as well. Count me in!

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    They're currently in the phase where the characters created will go through to Live, yes? Due to the painfully slow combat in the first beta I'm hesitant to play the game and risk having to start over yet again.

In the open beta (Feb. 16th) characters will be kept.

For anyone that is interested in joining up in a friendly league guild, proceed to this location:

http://keenandgraev.com/forums/index.php?board=25.0

Also, feel free to join us on Vent.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Speaking from experience: PAers might as well join up with Walrus' guild, PA guilds appear to last for a month max before they die out due to every PAer suffering from a rare form of OCD that only manifests itself in videogames.

I - for one - am going to stick to the EU servers and see if I can find a friendly guild (assuming I even like the game!).

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've had the same experience with PA guilds.

This guild is a revolving door sort of operation. You can come and go as you please, we'll be here regardless.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I prefer just having a separate tab with PA chat in it.

Glal on