As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Quake 3 turns 10 today.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I know why they do it (it's easier to see your opponents if everything is bright/nondistracting), it just seems kinda silly to me. I mean, you spend all of this money on a badass gaming rig, a huge gorgeous monitor, and the newest shooter on the block, and the first thing you do is write a custom config file to make it look like an N64 game.

This is probably why I don't game competitively.

Anybody want to get a Game On going this weekend?

SmokeStacks on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I guess I'm just not hardcore enough to give a shit, I can murder people at settings that don't look like shit just fine (well, as fine as I can, I admittedly am not very good at Quake 3).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played Quake II daily, loved The Edge, was pretty good, played in PGL tourneys (got my butt kicked). Adored the game. Quake 3? Not so much, just never resonated with me the way Q2 did.

I was hell on wheels with the railgun. I loved to shoot guys in the middle of their rocket jumps so they'd blow up in mid air and their falling gibs looked like meaty fireworks.

The reality of Quake 3 fell pretty far short of the promise. When PC Gamer previewed the game, the id guys claimed that you would be able to easily skin your own characters with your own face or whatever. And more importantly they promised multiple classes. There were going to be light/mid/heavyweight character options, etc. None of that stuff came to pass.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think multiple classes would have meshed with the whole "old school straight up deathmatch" vibe they were going for.

I mean, it's Quake III, not Tribes.

Being able to easily add your face to a character skin would have been pretty rad, though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A lot of the early stuff they wanted to do didn't make it. And that's a good thing because most of it was flat-out retarded.

Like when Carmack tried to limit jumping (and by extension take strafe jumping out of the game) because he didn't like the way it looked. Thankfully that went over as well as you might expect and didn't last more than a week.

The classes were another thing that should never have happened and then didn't. Fan feedback used to count for a lot.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    An old friend of mine was really into Quake 2. When Quake 3 came out... he was disappointed. Why? Because the railgun had some split second delay. He stuck with Q2 well into like 2003. A mod came out for Q3 that made the railgun react like the one in the previous game but he still wasn't impressed or whatever. In short, he was a picky bitch.

Quake 3 was just fun though. The only gun I felt offended in being killed by was the rocket launcher. I dunno why, I just always felt incredible rage by it.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    The railgun didn't have any delay in Quake 3. The only difference between the Quake 2 and Quake 3 railguns is the reload, which went from 2000ms in Quake 2 to 1500ms in Quake 3. The Quake 3 railgun is superior in every respect, and the Quake 3 hitboxes are arguably bigger as well. However, Quake 3 spawned you with 125 health and a machine gun, while in Quake 2 you had 100 health and the worst blaster ever.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ha, quake 3. how quaint

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    The railgun didn't have any delay in Quake 3. The only difference between the Quake 2 and Quake 3 railguns is the reload, which went from 2000ms in Quake 2 to 1500ms in Quake 3. The Quake 3 railgun is superior in every respect, and the Quake 3 hitboxes are arguably bigger as well. However, Quake 3 spawned you with 125 health and a machine gun, while in Quake 2 you had 100 health and the worst blaster ever.

Well he's always been a picky bitch and asshole so I'm not surprised he's wrong. I never gave a shit, I could only present his argument as he told me.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    Oho whoops. Quake 2 railgun was 1500ms as well. I was thinking of the weapon switch speed, which is like 1000ms in Quake 2 and only like 450-500ms in Quake 3

Page- on
    stream
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I fucking love Quake 3.

First of all, you guys are using ioquake, right? A few years ago, id released the source code and the people here have cleaned it up, made sure it works on modern computers, added a couple neat features that some mods use, etc. I kinda sorta liked UT more than Q3A back in the day (oblig), but I feel like Q3A aged better because of these guys.

Daedalus on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man...10 years....fuck I'm getting old.

God, I remember playing this game for hours against Anarki, Bones, and Klesk on nightmare just trying to perfect my (lack of) railgun skillz just so I'd be able to keep up at lanpartes. Sadly, 5 minutes into a match, I'd just regress back to my usual "hide around corners and humiliate people as they come by". I'm such a prick sometimes.

Decoy on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played Quake II daily, loved The Edge, was pretty good, played in PGL tourneys (got my butt kicked). Adored the game. Quake 3? Not so much, just never resonated with me the way Q2 did.

I was hell on wheels with the railgun. I loved to shoot guys in the middle of their rocket jumps so they'd blow up in mid air and their falling gibs looked like meaty fireworks.

The reality of Quake 3 fell pretty far short of the promise. When PC Gamer previewed the game, the id guys claimed that you would be able to easily skin your own characters with your own face or whatever. And more importantly they promised multiple classes. There were going to be light/mid/heavyweight character options, etc. None of that stuff came to pass.

I always felt l.ike Quake 2 was superior. Better weapon balance, better maps for the most part, was easier to mod for so you had a lot more people making things like PPMs and maps, better atmosphere.

Q3A just lacked a lot of the feel and felt stripped down.

Jealous Deva on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I always felt l.ike Quake 2 was superior. Better weapon balance, better maps for the most part, was easier to mod for so you had a lot more people making things like PPMs and maps, better atmosphere.

Q3A just lacked a lot of the feel and felt stripped down.

It was probably helped by the fact that Q2 had an actual SP mode and not just "Play Bots in DM"

Decoy on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I always thought killing that thingy at the end of the first Quake was awesome.

I mean...you basically telefrag it D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 1's "story" is a grotesque mess of epic proportions. The readme.txt talks about this bad dude named Quake who's sending a bunch of no-gooders who are messing up your shit and how you're totally gonna stop him, but by the end of the actual game you're telefragging a Lovecraftian horror.

The development of that game was just so haphazard and awesome.

Zxerol on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Ten years old? It feels like yesterday I was playing this game endlessly on my Mandrake Linux, probably pre-2.2 kernel box. It was a marvel that the sound worked at all, and good luck getting all of your USB devices to work. But damn if Quake didn't run smooth like butter.

Christ I'm old.

Teth on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I remember PC Gamer having an article (at least, I think it was PC Gamer, might have been CGW) that explained how to write a script to add a 'zoom' key, to be used with the railgun.

It wasn't cheating! Technically!

Synthesis on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Now this is a cause for celebration.

I guess I should play some Q3 today. I'll start out with a few bot matches. Then I'll probably be up to 3AM scouring the interbuttz for skins and maps.

Drake on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Hahaha, people who turn everything down like that are faggots with shitty computers.

Kids these days! They're all about graphics and being idiots.

Snare on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Snare wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Hahaha, people who turn everything down like that are faggots with shitty computers.

Kids these days! They're all about graphics and being idiots.

:lol:

That and there is a massive advantage to playing with that low detail. Hell I run SLI and all my DM games look like that. :P
    I know why they do it (it's easier to see your opponents if everything is bright/nondistracting), it just seems kinda silly to me. I mean, you spend all of this money on a badass gaming rig, a huge gorgeous monitor, and the newest shooter on the block, and the first thing you do is write a custom config file to make it look like an N64 game.

They play more then one game? My Quake and Unreal games look like that. When I play say fear single player, or Crysis, I crank the crap out of everything.

psychotix on
  • ZeroNowZeroNow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Happy birthday Quake 3! I loved arena when that was about. Can't wait for the XBLA version!

I'm still more of a UT person though, then Cstrike, TF2 and now L4D & MW2. Acronym Almanac!

ZeroNow on
    Mortal+Avenger.png
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am glad to see that I am not the only person who actually played Quake 3 on the Dreamcast. I actually bought a mouse and keyboard to go with it, which let me absolutely murder other dreamcast players. :)

chamberlain on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know, I've actually found myself playing a whole lot less competitive shooters in the modern generation than I did with the older games. I played the hell out of Q2 deathmatch and the ctf mod. I played a ton of Q3 and Rocket Arena, I played a ton of JK2, and probably the most current game I really played was Unreal 2k4.

I own TF2 but I don't play it much. I own Killzone 2 and don't play it much. I own MW2 and I haven't even tried the multi-player yet.

I don't know why this is either. Maybe I've just lost my competitive edge. But whatever the reason, I just don't enjoy online shooters as much as I did many years ago with the older generation of games.

Lucascraft on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've spent so many hours playing quake engine games - probably more than most other games combined. Some memorable mods were action quake, rocket arena, and lithium (and lithium based like catch the chicken and rofh) for q2, and ra3 for q3. I quit playing when I got married but I still remember some matches I had vividly (7 years later).

I remember the rise of q3 aim bots from noskill and the like and the first times I saw them. There was a message hidden in the first ones and if you said the right thing in chat, it would answer Yes I am a bot!!! One of them could send random text spam until the server crashed. The initial people that used them couldn't maneuver well and were pretty easily killed and even easier to spot shooting out their ass. Then they got more sophisticated by adding scanners and limiting the fov they had to prevent them from being easily spotted. I pretty much quit fps shortly after stumbling on a Quebec clan who were training new recruits on how to use the latest tool set for cod2 (I was kicked shortly after). I ran into one of them using it off their clan server, called him on it (with recdemo'd video) and no one gave a shit so I just left; it wasn't fun anymore.

I still play fps from tiem to time, and tried to get into quakelive but I just can't get it to feel right. I don't know if it is the hardware, or if it's true that you just can't go back.

stigweard on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I remember PC Gamer having an article (at least, I think it was PC Gamer, might have been CGW) that explained how to write a script to add a 'zoom' key, to be used with the railgun.

Why would you need to add a script for a zoom key when there's already a zoom key in the regular controls? I think the default is middle mouse.

slash000 on
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 3's team fortress was my favorite out of all of them.

Quake had the best ctf imo. It was the perfect blend of grappling hook, rockets and dialup lag.:lol:

Quake3's tdm and dm are unbeaten to this day.

Quake2 had loki's minions and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

FingerSlut on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My college roommates and I used to play Quake 3 whenever the tension of living with three other guys in two small dorm rooms became overwhelming.

When you're mad at your roommate for drinking the last soda in the fridge and not refilling it, nothing makes you feel better than shooting him in the back with a rocket.

Hedgethorn on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Love Q3. Still sporting a Q3 mouse pad that I got shortly after release to this very day.

corin7 on
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I played more Q2 than Q3. I remember the days when people with ping under 250 were called "LPBs" or Low Ping Bastards. I remember when the Hyperblaster was called the Hyper-Lagger because it destroyed everyone's framerate.

Back in the days when noobs were newbies and I was a force on microsofts "The Zone" server list thinger and everyone said "GG" after a match, as opposed to "CAMPING FAGGOTT"

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jaziek wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »
    I hope the XBLA version will be awesome.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh wait. You're serious?

serioussam2.jpg[img][/img]Seriously.)

There are games that are ok to play with a controller, on an xbox.

And then there are games worth playing.

seriously though... You cant have a fast paced FPS on a console. It just isnt possible.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 2 was my game of choice, Action Quake 2, Loki Minions CTF, Jailbreak, Rocket Arena.. mmmm old schoolicious.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    My college roommates and I used to play Quake 3 whenever the tension of living with three other guys in two small dorm rooms became overwhelming.

When you're mad at your roommate for drinking the last soda in the fridge and not refilling it, nothing makes you feel better than shooting him in the back with a rocket.

I tired this with Fightnight Round 4.

It just made my room mate angrier.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Why would you need to add a script for a zoom key when there's already a zoom key in the regular controls? I think the default is middle mouse.

Actually, it might have just made the zoom go further. This was a long time ago, and I never did it myself, so my memory is sketchy.

Synthesis on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Actually, it might have just made the zoom go further. This was a long time ago, and I never did it myself, so my memory is sketchy.

It might have made the zoom go further, but honestly, the default zoom with the default zoom key goes pretty far as it is. I mean, maybe if you need sniper scope levels of zoom you might do that, but practically speaking that wouldn't help you in a game like Quake III :P

slash000 on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 3 was probably the first game I played on several occasions online and thoroughly enjoyed. Many fun times were had and this game was my gateway drug to countless other online games, such as Counter-Strike.

tardcore on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Whatever happened to QuakeLive? I haven't really heard any talk or mention of it in quite some time.

You mean the browser based one?

They fucked with the weapon balance way way way too much. Rockets and the BFG are worthless.

Sheep on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    whhhaaaat? I thought the weapon balance was perfect in Q3. At least while playing rocket area. Every weapon had it's use.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    whhhaaaat? I thought the weapon balance was perfect in Q3. At least while playing rocket area. Every weapon had it's use.

Well, there was always the debate over whether OSP or CPMA was the better comp mod.

psychotix on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

Q3 itself had good balance.

QuakeLive drastically reduced the splash damage of both the rocket launcher and the BFG to the point that you absolutely have to make a direct hit to do anything with either.

Oh, and I think the fact that Quake 3 is still around but no one gives a shit about Unreal Tournament anymore finally puts the nail in the coffin over which arena game was better.

Obviously I always knew it was Q3, but some Plebes just didn't know.

Sheep on