As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphics Card is suddenly not powering

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, for some weird reason my 8800 GTS isn't working correctly. I'm running Windows XP with updated drivers and when I go to the Device Manager it says the card cannot start. Anyone have any ideas? Drivers are all recent, powersupply is working. Everything was working yesterday, I've had the computer for several years. I am hoping this isn't a "card is now fried" situation.

Help please?

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Ok, for some weird reason my 8800 GTS isn't working correctly. I'm running Windows XP with updated drivers and when I go to the Device Manager it says the card cannot start. Anyone have any ideas? Drivers are all recent, powersupply is working. Everything was working yesterday, I've had the computer for several years. I am hoping this isn't a "card is now fried" situation.

Help please?

Not totally familiar with this card but is it one that has an additional power connector attached to it?

Can you reseat it or move the card into another slot (I am assuming it is PCI-E)

If it is one that needs additional power can you try another power cable from your supply (if it has one)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok really needing some help. The card is still not powering and there is are no power issues as the card was working fine a little while ago and is still being detected with video coming out of it (as its detected in the device manager and I get video, albeit shitty video, out of the monitor). Could the card be burned out? Am I looking at needing to get a new one?

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did you just recently get the newest drivers from Nvidia?

I ask because I'm running an 8800GT (XP machine, Stock card, no overclocking) and it went on the fritz shortly after installing the newest drivers. It's not the exact same symptoms as yours, but it may still be worth looking into rolling back the drivers if this is the case. You could also download the "performance suit" Nvidia Control panel add-on to let you monitor what may be happening to the card better.

Also, like Darkmayo said, pop the card out and reseat it, and maybe use a can of air on it while you have it out.

Oricalm on
    Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Where can I get older drivers? I updated them a few times to try to fix it and don't have the older version around anymore.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg