As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me continue Awesome Brotherhood [PS3 Games for 13yo]

PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So evidently my kid brother is getting a PS3 for Christmas. Help me develop a list of awesome T-rated games that I can get him.

Yes, I'm fully aware he's definitely played M-rated games at his friend's house who owns a 360, since he's commented on my L4D2/Fallout3 gameplay. I still need to follow parental rules, so don't bother suggesting MW2, AC2, or things along those lines. I'm buying those for me anyways. :P

As he's "starting from scratch" in the PS3 world, I'm looking for some older, proven-awesome titles for a few reasons: firstly, they're proven awesome, and secondly, they're less expensive allowing me to give him more awesomeness. The PS3 Greatest Hits list is good, but he's not much for racers and that seems to be the lion's share of the T-rated titles. Otherwise Burnout Paradise would be an easy choice as well.

Uncharted and R&CF:TOD are both already on the list of Definitely Buying. What's another one or two I can stack on the pile to make it contain the maximum legal limit of Awesome?

Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
PeregrineFalcon on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I understand Little Big Planet is great on the PS3 for multiplayer.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What about the new Prince of Persia? I've seen it get a lot of flak around here for being too easy, but it's only $20 on Amazon.

Infamous is officially $40 now and rated T, but my only exposure to it has been the demo. Maybe somewhere else can elaborate on if it's worth a purchase or good for a 13 year old.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Elin wrote: »

And that could also have the potential for parental involvement as well. Hmm. Is it possible to have LBP played online with multiple people on one console - ie, brother and the two parents there, me joining in from mine?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not into racers either, but I still like Burnout, if only for the Showtime! mode

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Valkyria Chronicles, Ghostbusters, Orange box has a T-M rating, so I guess that means depending on the game he's playing specifically. Rock band 1 and 2 are both T.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elin wrote: »

And that could also have the potential for parental involvement as well. Hmm. Is it possible to have LBP played online with multiple people on one console - ie, brother and the two parents there, me joining in from mine?
    Yes, you can definitely have a mix of multiple local and multiple internet players in LBP.

I know you've mentioned Uncharted, and that's a definite must-buy, but don't forget Uncharted 2. They added all sorts of high quality co-op and vs. multiplayer modes while simultaneously not screwing up the single player. There's no split-screen though, which may make it less attractive for your situation. It doesn't really matter though, trust me, after playing the first one you're going to buy it sooner or later for the single player alone.

In terms of games not already mentioned, Batman: Arkham Asylum is rated Teen and it's very good. It is fairly violent but there's no blood or gore and technically Batman "knocks out" his opponents... but I'd still say it's pretty close to maxed out in terms of what sort of content you can show and still get a Teen rating. For example, when you get jumped by half a dozen thugs, when you knock out the last one it goes into a slow-mo vanity-camera shot of Batman roundhouse kicking the final thug in the jaw (or any number of other flashy finishers). So it may or may not be something you'd be comfortable with giving to your brother.

How does he feel about fighting games? Street Fighter 4 is Teen-rated, probably because there's no blood or gore. I'm not big into fighting games personally but I have seen it on the PS3 and it looks fantastic, and by all accounts it's an excellent entry in the genre.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles, Ghostbusters, Orange box has a T-M rating, so I guess that means depending on the game he's playing specifically. Rock band 1 and 2 are both T.

Ehh, the only game that's actually T is Portal, the other four are all M. Though, the most violent game on there is TF2, which is saying something.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wipeout HD is ridiculously fun online. What about one of the Guitar Hero or Rock Band games? That's a blast with other people.

If he's a bit more "hardcore" gamer, Armored Core: 4 Answer has some multi-action, and of course Warhawk.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If he's into Star Wars, then 'The Force Unleashed' could be a good choice. The Ultimate Sith Edition is fairly cheap and the original version can be found pretty much everywhere at bargain prices.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Infamous is totally worth picking up, especially now that it's dropped in price. There's about as much T-rated content as there is in Uncharted, which means occasional swearing and lots of things blowing up.

And yeah, Uncharted 2 is well worth picking up, but you can hold off and wait to grab it for a future gift once you know how much the kid likes the first one.

LittleBigPlanet is another good choice, although to be honest it depends more on the kid's attitude towards "kiddie" games.

And last and almost certainly least, Heavenly Sword is now cheap and is pretty much a T-rated God Of War, only not as good. But then again, you won't get a horrified call from the kid's parents when their impressionable child sees tits ahoy in a cutscene.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Uncharted 2 will definitely be a "later on" depending on how well #1 is received, both in terms of his enjoyment and parental reaction. Rock Band 2 he already has for his existing Wii.

I picked up R&C and the original Uncharted so far. The Force Unleashed seems like a good bet, Star Wars violence is somehow more acceptable than "realistic" violence. As it is Uncharted will probably be pushing the envelope more than enough so Heavenly Sword is probably "too far" at the moment.

But yeah, I'm not deluding myself. If he's anything like me he's already seen tits IRL by that age. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Definitely inFamous.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, Uncharted really pushes that T...in fact, I think the fact that it's so goofily violent is what saves it from an M. Enemies fly in the air when shot to death, with a little puff of blood. It's odd, really.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    get blazblue and make him awesome

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]