As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me an RPG!

Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey! I've been playing BG and BG2 for years, and I want something that is at the same level (if possible) as these. And something older, my computer can and does run NWN and NWN2, but they're not pretty and quite frankly nowhere near the level of polish that BG2 had.

So I am open to suggestions. I have played the IWD series and Planescape: Torment. I want something preferably based off D&D, but I don't think there's any left that I haven't played. So offer whatever suggestions you want, even if it's a great module for NWN2 or a mod for BG2 or something. Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey Ashtray on

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Knights of the Old Republic 1. Avoid 2.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Played those, and Jade Empire, and Mass Effect. I don't really like what Bioware has been doing, they feel too console-y.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dragon Age: Origins. Depending on your computer specs.

badpoet on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dragon Age: Origins. About as close to BG as you're going to get, and it's awesome

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, my computer won't run it. I've been reading reviews, I might rent it for Xbox, but I really haven't been hooked by any of Bioware's games. Didn't finish Kotor, Mass Effect, or Jade Empire, they just don't hook me, and the dialogue system is not exciting at all. I'd rather something a bit older that I had to read the text.

Edit: I've also played the Fallouts and Morrowind/Oblivion.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DA:O isn't Mass Effect or Jade Empire. Not even close. It really is the closest you'll find these days to a spiritual successor to BG/BG2.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The expansions for NWN2 are much more polished stories than NWN2 itself, and are written by former Black Isle employees. You said you don't like the direction Bioware's going, but have you played KOTOR2? It's very incomplete, but the writing is more akin to PST and Fallout than KOTOR/Mass Effect/Jade Empire.

Arcanum is another to try, but definitely get the fan patch.

admanb on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah NWN: Mask of the Betrayer is one of my favorite rpgs. The 2nd expansion is so-so, much more IWD like.
    While it's not all that close to BG Mount and Blade is a really fun rpg that I've been playing a lot lately. I'd recommend trying out native first and then once you get the hang of it playing on of the mods like Prophecy of Pendor. It is much more realistic of a medievel RPG meaning no magic, a lance on horseback is brutal, and leading troops.

Neaden on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While i love mount and blade, it's not really comparable to those games. It's more of a sandboxy game with awesome combat, there's absolutely no narrative or story

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DA:O isn't Mass Effect or Jade Empire. Not even close. It really is the closest you'll find these days to a spiritual successor to BG/BG2.

Well, maybe I'll rent it today.

I've played the expansions to NWN2, the problem there is that my computer isn't great, so as good as the games may be, they're pretty ugly on my comp, and not very smooth.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    loom.jpg

Enc on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Haha, very funny. Maybe not that old...

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arcanum, perhaps?

kitch on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    The expansions for NWN2 are much more polished stories than NWN2 itself, and are written by former Black Isle employees. You said you don't like the direction Bioware's going, but have you played KOTOR2? It's very incomplete, but the writing is more akin to PST and Fallout than KOTOR/Mass Effect/Jade Empire.

Arcanum is another to try, but definitely get the fan patch.
    Speaking of Troika, Temple of Elemental Evil is light on content compared to the ones you listed, but it's D&D based and the combat mechanics are incredibly faithful to the source material. Like Arcanum, you would probably want one of the fan patches installed.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cool, Arcanum looks promising. Where's the best place online to buy this for download?

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DA:O is still a console-style bioware rpg - it's just a lot LESS console-y as compared to something like KOTOR. If you want a real old-school wRPG that celebrates its nerdy lack of accessibility, you'll have to look for something lesser-known like the Avernum series. I've really enjoyed that.

Also, if you have a PS3 - Demon's Souls. It really is that "hardcore, old-school" good. Right now it is actually wrestling with BG2 in my head for the place of favorite game.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did you play the old fallout games?

ed: oh whoops

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not D&D based, but Drakensang is a pretty cool newish rpg with an old school sorta feel. The mechanics can take a bit of getting used to, as they're a long way from D&D rules.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zedar wrote: »
    It's not D&D based, but Drakensang is a pretty cool newish rpg with an old school sorta feel. The mechanics can take a bit of getting used to, as they're a long way from D&D rules.

Oh, The Witcher is another possibility.

admanb on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey! I've been playing BG and BG2 for years, and I want something that is at the same level (if possible) as these. And something older, my computer can and does run NWN and NWN2, but they're not pretty and quite frankly nowhere near the level of polish that BG2 had.

So I am open to suggestions. I have played the IWD series and Planescape: Torment. I want something preferably based off D&D, but I don't think there's any left that I haven't played. So offer whatever suggestions you want, even if it's a great module for NWN2 or a mod for BG2 or something. Thanks!

Lending my voice to the growing Dragon Age crowd; it's the spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games.

(And once I figured that out, used the pause button, and gave orders to PCs instead of relying on AI, the game got a lot more fun.)

If you like BG2, there's no reason for you not to get it, save PC spec issues.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Have you checked out PPG? (http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/) ... they've done some things with BG2 that made me play it all over again!

hamdingers on