Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WoW] The Profession Thread: Fishin' Ain't Easy

Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
WoW Wiki wrote:
A profession is a large trade-oriented set of skills that player characters may incrementally learn in order to gather, make, or enhance items that can be used in World of Warcraft gameplay. Professions are learned from a trainer (or sometimes from a book at higher levels), for a cost. Professions can be learned regardless of their character faction, race, or class (although there are a few class skills that are just like a profession.)

Specific trade skills within a profession allow you to do specific things — craft a specific item or add a specific enhancement. These are learned from the profession trainers, from recipes, or occasionally directly from a quest trainer. Each profession starts out with a few specific trade skills.

Through practice, a character gains skill levels within the profession and becomes more capable within that profession. Note the distinction, professional skills are capabilities within a profession, whereas professional skill level is a progression metric which is used as a prerequisite for professional skills and as a prerequisite for the ability to gather specific items within a gathering profession.

Planned Cataclysm Changes:
Spoiler:

Patch 3.3 changes:
Spoiler:

New fishing Tourney.

Patch 3.2.2 changes:
Spoiler:

Patch 3.2 changes:
Spoiler:

You're holding him up!

Patch 3.1 changes (Quick link to low-level mat changes):
Spoiler:

WotLK general changes:
Spoiler:

Al Baron on
steam_sig.png

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's one change to Enchanting to the 3.3 I didn't add, but there is now an option to directly roll for Disenchanted mats without having your DEer handle them. Note that you'll still need an enchanter with the proper skill level in order for this to happen.

Also, I remember seeing that Arctic Furs will now be available for purchase at the Dal LW guy for 10 Heavy Borean Leather.

steam_sig.png
  • MEGAMERICANMEGAMERICAN Registered User
    edited December 2009
    I wish the new fishing contest wasn't exactly when my guilds raid starts. I'm guessing someone will win within the first 5 minutes so it may not be that bad.
    a test of fishing skill with a healthy dash of luck

That probably means if you don't get it within your first 10 casts you might as well give up. Considering my luck when it comes to fishing it'll be a long time before i win.
    There's one change to Enchanting to the 3.3 I didn't add, but there is now an option to directly roll for Disenchanted mats without having your DEer handle them. Note that you'll still need an enchanter with the proper skill level in order for this to happen.

This makes me happy. I powerlevelled enchanting over the weekend to 400. I had been saving greens a blues in the 60+ range for a few weeks so 300+ wasn't as expensive. Overall, it was about 2200g total, mostly because people gouged on things like eternium and arcanite rods. Oh well, I paid for the convenience and it wasn't too bad.

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On Enchanting, my friend seems to think that if he takes his character with enchanting on a dungeon run and people say DE an item he feels the enchanter or (himself) should keep the mats at the end of the run and not give them out after the final boss. His argument is that since he spent the money and time to level the tradeskill it's like his ability to farm goods in the instance such as a skinner gets the skins, the miners get the nodes, etc.

I can agree with this to a degree, but something about it still seems odd, what do you other enchanters think?

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited December 2009
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    On Enchanting, my friend seems to think that if he takes his character with enchanting on a dungeon run and people say DE an item he feels the enchanter or (himself) should keep the mats at the end of the run and not give them out after the final boss. His argument is that since he spent the money and time to level the tradeskill it's like his ability to farm goods in the instance such as a skinner gets the skins, the miners get the nodes, etc.

I can agree with this to a degree, but something about it still seems odd, what do you other enchanters think?

Enchanting is different than mining or herbalism because enchanters are using an item which everyone can roll on and sell for money, whereas you can only use an ore node if you're a miner.

However, I've always felt that the enchanter should get to keep 1 shard for themselves if they wanted.

Bottom line, if everyone is agreeing to allow someone to DE then the enchanter is obliged to let everyone roll for a shard if they want. It's their shard as much as the enchanters since they agreed to let him take the item to disenchant. It's a binding contract as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't agree to let someone DE everything to keep it for themselves. I'd rather have the 5-15g than absolutely nothing.

• GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

He's a prick. If they want to all roll greed and he wins the item outright, then sure he can keep the mats. If they specifically ask him to DE the item to be subsequently rolled on or whatever the process is these days, then he shouldn't be keeping the mats. Sure he paid to level enchanting, but the instance is a 5 man effort. His ability to DE unwanted items is a convenience factor only. If he wants to be a dick and say he won't DE peoples stuff, that's his choice, but he probably won't be very popular.

I guess you could get technical and say people should split ores, herbs, and skins. Nobody ever plays that way though. I don't know why it's different. Probably because not every instance has ores, herbs, etc. Every instance has loot, and that would be an inherent advantage if all enchanters got said mats automatically.

• GnutsonGnutson Registered User
    edited December 2009
    As an enchanter, I agree we kinda get the shaft providing the service to the (often very ungrateful) group, but so does the guy that provides the feast once in a while for a group, or someone using drums.

If you don't want to share your skills with your group you can always just greed I guess.

Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have no real problem with the new disenchant option, but before it (as in, up until today) I never DEd for groups. We all rolled greed, and if someone wanted me to DE something for them, they could trade it to me and pay a DE fee.

3DS (Animal Crossing) = 0817-3961-0910
    XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/masterofpupets54
    TF2 Backpack = http://www.tf2items.com/id/masterofpupets54 (first page is for trade)
  • jackaljackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does anyone know if the change to fishing means that the fisher will always catch something, but it will be appropriate for their fishing skill, or if everyone will just catch the same stuff regardless of skill.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jackal wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the change to fishing means that the fisher will always catch something, but it will be appropriate for their fishing skill, or if everyone will just catch the same stuff regardless of skill.

Is there another change in 3.3 or do you mean how it is currently?

Current situation: You will always catch *something*, regardless of skill. The lower your skill, the more useless gray vendor junk you'll get (tangled fishing line, sickly fish etc). You can skill up on catching gray junk. Even with very low skill you'll catch a fish from the pool you are fishing in / the daily item eventually.

IBHz8.png1dUCx.png
    edited December 2009
    Grobian wrote: »

Current situation: You will always catch *something*, regardless of skill. The lower your skill, the more useless gray vendor junk you'll get (tangled fishing line, sickly fish etc). You can skill up on catching gray junk. Even with very low skill you'll catch a fish from the pool you are fishing in / the daily item eventually.

I meant the change in 3.3. When I said "something" I should have said "some fish".

• MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

He's a prick. If they want to all roll greed and he wins the item outright, then sure he can keep the mats. If they specifically ask him to DE the item to be subsequently rolled on or whatever the process is these days, then he shouldn't be keeping the mats. Sure he paid to level enchanting, but the instance is a 5 man effort. His ability to DE unwanted items is a convenience factor only. If he wants to be a dick and say he won't DE peoples stuff, that's his choice, but he probably won't be very popular.

I guess you could get technical and say people should split ores, herbs, and skins. Nobody ever plays that way though. I don't know why it's different. Probably because not every instance has ores, herbs, etc. Every instance has loot, and that would be an inherent advantage if all enchanters got said mats automatically.

This is more a long my lines of thinking. Anyone could have taken and vendored the loot, not just anyone could have mined that node, or skinned the beast. If an Enchanter is willing to DE and give everyone a better shot at more gold then that's cool, else he should just roll like anyone else and if they win it on greed, DE the goods and keep them himself. Then it becomes those people who couldn't DE's loss for not having that skill thus not making as much money.

Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I meant the change in 3.3. When I said "something" I should have said "some fish".

you will always catch "something" when fishing.

you will always catch "somefish" when fishing in a school of fish. you will get the fish in the pool you fished in.

You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User
    edited December 2009
    The new fishing tourney is now on Saturdays at 2pm server. I don't know if someone brought that up. It was Weds at 8 on the PTR, but the current patch notes say Saturday. Hooray?

That said, after 3 years of trying - I FINALLY WON THE OLD CONTEST THIS SUNDAY! WOO! I still want to win the new one for the boots though.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The new fishing tourney is now on Saturdays at 2pm server. I don't know if someone brought that up. It was Weds at 8 on the PTR, but the current patch notes say Saturday. Hooray?

That said, after 3 years of trying - I FINALLY WON THE OLD CONTEST THIS SUNDAY! WOO! I still want to win the new one for the boots though.

Seriously?

Oh, fuck you Blizzard. I finally thought there'd be a contest I could actually be online for.

/sigh

• EchoEcho very gravitas Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009

Could he have killed the bosses without a tank, healer and 3 dps?

• GnutsonGnutson Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Echo wrote: »

To a point I agree, it's a group loot.

But in that case we should start rolling for artic furs/leather and any ores/gems that are mined while inside as well.

Enchanters still kind of get the shaft there but oh well, if they don't like it, don't offer the service.

Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
    edited December 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Seriously?

Oh, fuck you Blizzard. I finally thought there'd be a contest I could actually be online for.

/sigh

Yeah, I was pretty non-pleased about the change, but apparently lots of raiding guilds run Wednesdays (unlike my suckass guild which runs 25 mans on saturday nights. SATURDAY NIGHTS ARE FOR HUMPING - not fighting electronic dragons!!!), so they moved it to Saturdays at 2.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gnutson wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

To a point I agree, it's a group loot.

But in that case we should start rolling for artic furs/leather and any ores/gems that are mined while inside as well.

Enchanters still kind of get the shaft there but oh well, if they don't like it, don't offer the service.

There's also a difference between veins, herbs, and mobs in an instance (which all exist in the outside world, and thus provide no intrinsic benefit just by virtue of being inside the instance) and boss kills that are guaranteed to provide a shardable item.

If the miner wasn't there, nothing would happen to the veins. If the enchanter wasn't there people would still make money off the items.

sglogo.jpg

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577
    edited December 2009
    Enchanters should probably get a little something extra. Maybe +5 on each roll?

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Seriously?

/sigh

Yeah, I was pretty non-pleased about the change, but apparently lots of raiding guilds run Wednesdays (unlike my suckass guild which runs 25 mans on saturday nights. SATURDAY NIGHTS ARE FOR HUMPING - not fighting electronic dragons!!!), so they moved it to Saturdays at 2.

Man that is lame as shit.

Wed was going to be great. Lower server population; people raiding/instancing/forgetting it was happening.

People would actually have a chance.

Bleh.

Anyway, does anyone know how to catch the shark? The video in the OP implies that any fishing pool can contain it but with the hints about the suckerfish I had assumed that Sholazar would pretty much be the only place to get it.

Also, I'm surprised there hasn't been riots that the quest turnin guy is right next to the alliance hearth point and not the horde.

Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    edited December 2009
    As far as I know it's just a random pull from any pool in Northrend that drops Pygmy Suckerfish (which is almost all of them)

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whatever, I'm just excited about the prospect of doing the Kaluak contest as a pally with crusader aura and aura mastery. It's like nitrous oxide for your epic flyer.

sglogo.jpg

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm really loving having Herbalism on my Rogue. Not only is the money for herbs really nice, but having a healing spell on a class without any form of self healing (outside of consumables of course) is really, really nice.

steam_sig.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, I'm surprised there hasn't been riots that the quest turnin guy is right next to the alliance hearth point and not the horde.

I expect lots of Warlock portals directly on the quest giver for the first several weeks anyway.

On another topic I finally farmed/bought enough Thorium to push my Rogue to 300 Blacksmithing. As he is level 65 already, I then just went to 350. 300-350 was so much easier than 285-300. Thorium really is the worst.

IBHz8.png1dUCx.png
    edited December 2009
    Whatever, I'm just excited about the prospect of doing the Kaluak contest as a pally with crusader aura and aura mastery. It's like nitrous oxide for your epic flyer.

It'll also be nice doing it as a druid since the flight form is an instant cast. The distance between fishing nodes isn't very far so the Paladin boost in speed isn't that much of advantage over druids. :P Now if only I could get a 310 drake to boost my flight form speed.

edited December 2009

I expect lots of Warlock portals directly on the quest giver for the first several weeks anyway.

And lets not forget an army of mammoths standing on him so you can't turn it in. Why the hell can't it just be "if you catch it first you win," it's not like they can't tell who caught it first.

edited December 2009
    So...apparently Fel Iron only takes 275 to mine. When did this happen?

steam_sig.png
  • RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    275? Really? I've always thought it had to be 300...if it only takes 275 then I wasted a LOT of time on Thorium...more than is healthy...

Spoiler:
    815165 wrote: »
    Oculus is proof that even if every class only had four abilities people still wouldn't know how to use them.
  • KainyKainy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arg.

The new LFG system is just too much goddamn fun, when I have some VERY important leveling up JC from nothing to do.

Hopefully I'll do it, and then they'll nerf jewelcrafting, so I can feel bad about all the time wasted.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    275? Really? I've always thought it had to be 300...if it only takes 275 then I wasted a LOT of time on Thorium...more than is healthy...

It has to be pretty new. I am pretty sure I have a miner at around 280 or so who couldn't mine in Hellfire a month or so ago.

edited December 2009
    Yeah, it came with 3.3.

This will probably affect Thorium prices somewhat.

steam_sig.png
  • GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Yeah, it came with 3.3.

This will probably affect Thorium prices somewhat.

I've noticed a slight shift from 80g /stack to 100

edited December 2009
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thus making Blacksmithing even HARDER to level.

Maybe someday professions will get 275 recipes that use Outland mats.

• AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited December 2009
    So I know this is like 2 patches old, but I wish someone had told me when I resubscribed that I could make 125g minimum a day by sneezing as an alchemist.

huntresssig.jpg