As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Following the Last Lion: MA Senate Elections

• Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It would certainly be a painful process, with lots of unemployment, but thems the breaks. Its better than the continual, unnecessary spending involved.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hjparcins wrote: »
    Let's not forget that the military employs MILLIONS of people.

There are major repercussions involved with slashing military spending.

You can take $100 billion of miltary spending and spend $50 billion a year on schools and mass transit and the economy wouldn't lose a single job.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Technically you could have done your research on the bank before you opened an account there and studied their levels of debt compared to assets, and the relative security of those assets.

I didn't put my money in BoA on purpose. They bought my bank. How is it that that is my fault?

I bet you also support the deregulation which enabled that purchase.

You'd lose that bet. But as a consolation prize you can keep trying to demonize the opposition rather than improve your suggested solution.

The government has the heaviest of hands. No matter what it does, even if it does nothing, innocents are going to feel the pain of fixing our economic mess.

A few harmed individuals is not enough to outweigh the benefit of taxing our money back.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Agreed, but taxpayers should not have to pay for unnecessary weapons systems or production delays. Contractors need to be held to the fire.

As it stand we are having to reduce force size to pay for a lot of shit, which is hurting us. There are a lot of commands that are woefully undermanned, including mine. However, pumping more money into the budget is not the right answer. Military spending is in drastic need of reform. That was actually one of the only reasons I voted for McCain. I was not confident that Obama had enough SA to do the job. However, slashing the F-22 program made me smile. If he focused on this there is the potential to free up a lot of money and properly equip the forces.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The military is the first obvious target for cost cutting, and really only needs to be perhaps 30% its current size.

yes the military that is currently stretched fighting 2 wars should be cut to 1/3 of its size, because in the future we will never have to fight more than 2/3 of a war. I think the US needs to get more funding for its military from the countries that it helps keep in existence ie. Serbia, Taiwan, S Korea etc.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

Actually, it was shown earlier that military spending isn't a very good job creator, so we could make up the difference spending a third of the savings on education and high speed rail.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yes, wonderfully useless jobs spent making bombs and guns with which we kill people and ruin our standing around the world.

At least we got some spiritual enlightenment spending money on going to the moon. Every dollar we spend on the military is just another potential drop of blood on our collective hands.

Should we stop defending ourselves? Of course not. Defending ourselves doesn't include multi-million dollar civilian-killing machines in the name of employing a few engineers.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Neither of the wars we are in shouldve been fought, so yes. We've got tens of thousands of troops in Western Europe in particular that shouldnt be there.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Back to the Scott Brown issue, an unexpected development: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/20/glenn-beck-slams-scott-br_n_429939.htmlGlenn Beck lays into him in his radio show.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Back to the Scott Brown issue, an unexpected development: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/20/glenn-beck-slams-scott-br_n_429939.htmlGlenn Beck lays into him in his radio show.

Just...What the fuck?

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yes, wonderfully useless jobs spent making bombs and guns with which we kill people and ruin our standing around the world.

At least we got some spiritual enlightenment spending money on going to the moon. Every dollar we spend on the military is just another potential drop of blood on our collective hands.

Should we stop defending ourselves? Of course not. Defending ourselves doesn't include multi-million dollar civilian-killing machines in the name of employing a few engineers.

oh wow.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    KevinNashKevinNash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can't decide if Brown or Beck is more creepy.

Note this love affair with Brown and the so called conservative movement is fleeting and on a poor foundation. The guy might block on health-care, but on everything else he's a typical deficit spending neo-con.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    KevinNash wrote: »

Note this love affair with Brown and the so called conservative movement is fleeting and on a poor foundation. The guy might block on health-care, but on everything else he's a typical deficit spending neo-con.

He's also claimed that Obama was born out of wedlock, and took a Coakley quote where she said we needed to boost revenue by getting the economy back and sliced and diced it until it looked like she said she wanted to raise taxes.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Telling the country your daughters are "available" during a victory speech is really fucking weird. This is probably the first thing ever that Glenn Beck and I have agreed on.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

He's also claimed that Obama was born out of wedlock, and took a Coakley quote where she said we needed to boost revenue by getting the economy back and sliced and diced it until it looked like she said she wanted to raise taxes.

Side note: my apologies for slightly derailing this earlier.

On topic: I'm not positive the whole "Coakley wants to raise taxes" thing was entirely unjustified from an Anti-Healtcare Reform view in Mass.

As a state they already have Healthcare Reform, so one of their senators voting to implement it nationally is basically just throwing their state's money away.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Telling the country your daughters are "available" during a victory speech is really fucking weird. This is probably the first thing ever that Glenn Beck and I have agreed on.
    Yeah, on this one I think Beck was being completely reasonable.

I'm surprised he didn't catch fire or something.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He was right about it being creepy, but not everything creepy ends with a dead intern.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    browntownl.jpg

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The military is the first obvious target for cost cutting, and really only needs to be perhaps 30% its current size.

yes the military that is currently stretched fighting 2 wars should be cut to 1/3 of its size, because in the future we will never have to fight more than 2/3 of a war. I think the US needs to get more funding for its military from the countries that it helps keep in existence ie. Serbia, Taiwan, S Korea etc.

How many f-22s, aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines were required to win the war in Iraq? How many of them are required to keep the peace there? Oh, precisely zero. The US military should focus on infantry, infantry transport, close air support, drones and intelligence accompanied by a small number of carriers.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He was right about it being creepy, but not everything creepy ends with a dead intern.

You're talking about a man who may have raped and murdered a girl in 1990; if that's true (and I'm not saying it is, but he hasn't denied it or offered proof otherwise), he probably just assumes creepy things DO end with dead interns.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

How many f-22s, aircraft carriers and nuclear submarines were required to win the war in Iraq? How many of them are required to keep the peace there? Oh, precisely zero. The US military should focus on infantry, infantry transport, close air support, drones and intelligence accompanied by a small number of carriers.

The real waste is in contractors, not tech. If we could stop farming out jobs (looking at you KBR) and get back to a self supported military the tech costs wouldn't seem that stupid. Plus our silly "projects" tend to create useful shit.

Look at it this way. The military doesn't have to turn a profit, thus they can invest in really silly shit that now and again, does something awesome like spawn the internet. We should retain that. What we should not do is pay contractors whatever they want.

Also subs, are not for war, they are for intel. You're missing a lot of the key roles of some items.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Why in the hell do I even watch cable news anymore?

"I think that the Democrats need to totally rethink how they run campaigns. This election should be a wakeup call." - Reasonably Attractive Female Talking Head

Yep. Let's do that. Obviously the party that got the black guy with the foreign sounding name elected in a landslide on the back of massive voter energy and tons of individual campaign donations has no fucking clue how to connect with voters.

Jesus Fucking Christ. These people make me wish I had some sort of "Smite Commentator" button on my remote.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Jesus Fucking Christ. These people make me wish I had some sort of "Smite Commentator" button on my remote.

Sometimes it's not labeled. Look for this icon:

powerfinal420tn.png

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    psychotix wrote: »

The real waste is in contractors, not tech. If we could stop farming out jobs (looking at you KBR) and get back to a self supported military the tech costs wouldn't seem that stupid.

I'm curious how you propose we make new fighter jet technology without Boeing's help.

The purpose of contractors is to save money. Maybe that isn't what's happening but that's the concept.

KevinNash on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yes, if only we needed more roads, bridges, and schools built, along with God-only-knows how many other infrastructure projects, we would be able to spend that money on something other than things we'll never, ever use.

If only...

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, it is indeed the concept. And its completely wrong.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, it is indeed the concept. And its completely wrong.

Well unless the military can produce their own jets and aircraft carrier parts in house (hint: it won't happen) then we're going to have to deal with the reality of contractors. Maybe instead of saying "get rid of all contractors" we should say "make sure they are getting paid appropriately".

KevinNash on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Don't forget that the way these defense contractors are set up means that cutting a particular program means job losses in several states, which means you'll have multiple sets of senators and congressmen who are against cutting the defense budget regardless of party lines. Want to cut F-22 funding? You're losing jobs in CA, TX, GA, etc - makes it much tougher to make cuts to defense projects.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We dont need any more jets or aircraft carriers, so fuck em.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yes, if only we needed more roads, bridges, and schools built, along with God-only-knows how many other infrastructure projects, we would be able to spend that money on something other than things we'll never, ever use.

If only...

Yeah we should definitely take highly skilled individuals out of their career paths and set them to work laying cement and bricks, holding up roadsigns and laying down orange cones.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

If only...

Yeah we should definitely take highly skilled individuals out of their career paths and set them to work laying cement and bricks, holding up roadsigns and laying down orange cones.

I don't think people hurting for work are going to be stubborn about having a job.

Henroid on
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Uh. Currently they are not hurting for work. Of course, they would be if the genius proposals offered here were put into effect, but thankfully that will never be the case.

So yes you clearly missed the entire point of the discussion.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Highly skilled doesnt enter into the equation. Paying them and training more of them is throwing money away.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

If only...

And building giant farms in the sky.

torontoskyfarm.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010

If only...

Yeah, building and designing bridges, laying out mass transit networks and building and operating heavy machinery is easy. It's not like we need engineers there. Screw you civil engineers and mechanical engineers! You don't work in the military, so you do nothing but lay road cones.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

The real waste is in contractors, not tech. If we could stop farming out jobs (looking at you KBR) and get back to a self supported military the tech costs wouldn't seem that stupid.

I'm curious how you propose we make new fighter jet technology without Boeing's help.

The purpose of contractors is to save money. Maybe that isn't what's happening but that's the concept.

are you actually that fucking dumb

psychotix on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

But how would we fight a war we don't need to be in with new weapons we don't actually need without boeing?!

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

But how would we fight a war we don't need to be in with new weapons we don't actually need without boeing?!

Nerf Guns.

Seriously, the enemy will be so confused they'll drop their guns, run back to base, and spend years trying to discover what nefarious technology the Americans have developed. Chemical agents on the Nerf balls? Plastic explosive hidden in the tubes of Nerf darts?! They'll never know, and be too afraid to find out.

Meanwhile, we'll continue our being pompous asses laughing at their futile attempts to discover what we're hiding, all the while knowing that the most dangerous weapon out there is the MKIV Nerf Cannon, because if you fire it in a house, you might break a vase...

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Some interesting poll results from MA, related to the special election;
    QUESTION: Would you favor or oppose the national government offering everyone the choice of a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?

All: 82% in Favor

These are Obama voters who switched for Brown. (It's a DFA page, so the WILL ask you to sign a petition. Fair warning.)

OptimusZed on

• Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Some interesting poll results from MA, related to the special election;
    QUESTION: Would you favor or oppose the national government offering everyone the choice of a government administered health insurance plan -- something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get -- that would compete with private health insurance plans?

All: 82% in Favor

These are Obama voters who switched for Brown. (It's a DFA page, so the WILL ask you to sign a petition. Fair warning.)

The Republican votes on that site are... somewhat surprising.

It would appear that on at least 65-70% of those polls, Dems and Repubs agreed. Not on the obvious "Will this help Dems be reelected in 2010" and the like, of course.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png