As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help with GIMP image editing

BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am trying to make an image look Transparent or like a watermark.

This image has no background, I essentially want to lighten it up so when it is in the background it is not so overpowering.

When trying to use the opacity on the layer the image does nothing untill it goes under 50% where it just dissapears behind the alpha layer.

What am I doing wrong? I follow tutorials online and they all do the same thing, make my image disappear at under 50% opacity and do nothing above it.

Buddies on

• Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is the layer mode set to normal?

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes.

Could it be that it is a GIF File, and it won't fade for some reason? I don't know I'm trying to save it as different image files but nothing is working. T.T

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Right click on the layer and select "Add Alpha Channel"

Go to Colour > Colour to Alpha and pick whatever the background colour is.

Alternately, post it here and I can do it for you.

edit: oh, if it's a GIF file, go to Image > Mode > RGB and then try my instructions again.

edit2: if you don't want to post it for everybody, you can PM it to me.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    thanks!

I had to create a new image to be able to get the Color to Alpha to show up, so I just dragged my image into this new image that allowed me to mess with the alpha color.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    gifs tend to be a little funny in the GIMP. i'm glad you were able to get it.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg