As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Santa Claus: Do/Should you let your kids believe in him?

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd only be worried if my kid believed in him as he/she grew older.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Wait wait...

Santa isn't real?

Hey, spoilers!

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    We told our daughter that there was a Santa, but then told her the truth when she became savvy enough to start asking good questions (when she was four or so). It's fun to believe in Santa, but I don't like the idea of going to huge lengths to further a lie at all costs. Movies in which the idea of Santa is romanticized to the point where non-believers are demonized and parents concoct elaborate plans to trick their kid into believing? Yeah, that's sort of messed up.

So when my daughter started growing skeptical ("Wait, how can he fit through the chimney when it's so small?" "What about houses that have no chimneys?" "Hold on, he goes to every house in the world in one night?") we asked her what she thought. Does it seem reasonable? Does the idea of Santa make sense? She decided it didn't, and we told her that no, Santa doesn't really exist. And at that point, we told her about St. Nicholas, how Santa was based on a real person who used to give gifts, showed her the Wikipedia page for St. Nick and different facts about him.

Funny thing - she found out before Christmas last year that Santa wasn't real. This year, she was really sad that he was made-up. She was upset that we told her the truth so soon, because it was such fun to believe in Santa. She's jealous of her brother, who still believes (well, as much as a two year old can believe in something), because he'll be able to enjoy the fun of make-believe while she has to know the truth. She wishes we'd waited another year or two to let her know.

A couple days ago, she asked about the Tooth Fairy - is she real? I asked her if she really wanted to know the truth. She said yes, she wanted the truth, but she also communicated that she really didn't. She wanted to believe a little longer. So I told her the Tooth Fairy was real. She was quite happy, even if deep down she knows that's not really true.

I think that a lot of kids are sort of like Maddie, in that they want a chance to hold on to these myths for a little while. They want the fun of make-believe, they want the mythology to seem real. I just also think there comes a time when the child is ready to know the truth, and that pushing for fantasy past this time is a bad idea.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Leaving cookies and milk out for santa and getting a wonderful letter the next day was a great time. And when I eventually realized that there was no santa(much like finding out that snape kills dumbledore, all people are brought to this harsh spoiler eventually), I wasn't upset, it was simply a realization, and I realized my parents cared enough to put on a good show.

This doesn't mean that there aren't other ways of entertaining and enthralling your kid's sense of wonder, but as a tradition I don't think Santa Clause is at all detrimental(of course it depends on how you play it).

And plus, what's wrong with liking materials! I love materials. Why, I use materials every day.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Frankly, I think rigorous honestly with regard to your children is a highly overrated concept. I doubt I'll be answering my future offspring's inquiries about where babies come from with any degree of truth until they're 10 or 11.

The way our world works, kids don't have a lot of time to actually be kids. Our schools are increasingly prison like, lessons are increasingly devoid of anything resembling enjoyment, and much of the media we aim at our children is becoming extraordinarily vapid.

So hell yes, I'm going to be telling my kids that Santa Claus exists, not so that I can threaten them with the naughty/nice list, but so I can preserve something of the mystery that exists for children. There will be plenty of time for them to be disillusioned, for them to learn that their heroes are deeply flawed, and that all too often there are no good solutions for horrible problems. During my youth, and that of my sister, my parents told us that Santa Claus existed. To this day, I still receive presents addressed from Santa Claus. Even when the myth is exposed, there's still something about the jolly old elf that enlivens Christmas.

Not to mention, I'd never contradict this.

Bingo on the "Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus" editorial. Santa Claus was taught in our household as the spirit of giving, how giving is a good thing and makes people happy. We also participated in Toys for Tots and the charity drives that sponsored christmas for families in need, etc. Receiving feels good, too, but sometimes we receive the things we need (thanks for yet another sweater, Mom, we know you're cold natured), rather than the things we want. The spirit of giving is something to embrace and aspire to, and when we grow up we can become Santa, ourselves.

That and my dad is a tall white haired man with a big white beard, and has a red suit he brings out on occasion. I believe in Santa Claus because he's my dad, and he's delivered delight and joy and mystery to the children of my friends on more than one occasion. Our flower girl and ring bearer figured my husband was VERY good, because he got a *wife* this year.

Solandra on
  • Options
    ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Of course! As long as you also teach them about the Krampus. :P

If anything, believing in Santa as a child and then learning he's not real may instill more doubt and skepticism in a person. One may come to realize that sometimes people tell you things for good reasons, that are not in fact true. Sometimes those people even completely believe the things they are telling you.

Honestly I think Santa is a great intro to epistomology for kids.

ihopius on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I doubt I'll be answering my future offspring's inquiries about where babies come from with any degree of truth until they're 10 or 11.
    Wut.

Couscous on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I was thinking just today that the idea of Santa Claus is pretty cruel.

If you're bad you won't get any presents! . . . Oh yeah, plus if your poor. You won't get any presents then either.

I guess that counts as being "bad" too.

Seems a bit much to thrust Calvinism and predestination on young kids.

Because presents have to cost a lot of money, and poor people can't give gifts?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    I doubt I'll be answering my future offspring's inquiries about where babies come from with any degree of truth until they're 10 or 11.
    Wut.

I know. It shouldn't be till 100 or 111.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wut.

He does not want to tell his children about sexing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wut.

Well, that was when I had sex ed as a kid.

It's undoubtedly earlier for everyone else (I went to a Catholic private school till grade 6), I guess, so I'll probably answer when they have their first health class, basically.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Leaving cookies and milk out for santa and getting a wonderful letter the next day was a great time. And when I eventually realized that there was no santa(much like finding out that snape kills dumbledore, all people are brought to this harsh spoiler eventually),

What's this?

Backstop on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seems like you can offer a decent degree of truth without talking about sex. There's lying by omission and then there's telling the kid that little boys are made of snips and snails and puppy-dog tails.

Bama on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Seems like you can offer a decent degree of truth without talking about sex. There's lying by omission and then there's telling the kid that little boys are made of snips and snails and puppy-dog tails.

The answer I got a lot during childhood was that they came out of mommy's tummy.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

If you're bad you won't get any presents! . . . Oh yeah, plus if your poor. You won't get any presents then either.

Yes, poor people possess no happiness and only misery throughout their entire lives. It is their destiny.

Also, I'm 19 and I don't know what Calvinism is - I believe the risk of introducing your kids to it through the concept of Santa is miniscule.

Daxon on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Solandra wrote: »
    Bingo on the "Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus" editorial. Santa Claus was taught in our household as the spirit of giving, how giving is a good thing and makes people happy. ... The spirit of giving is something to embrace and aspire to, and when we grow up we can become Santa, ourselves.
    For some reason I find this vaguely creepy. It's similar to how religious children are taught to be "Christlike."

Instead of basing their behavior on an actual, real human performing charity (i.e. you), you're giving them this mythological model who rewards good and punishes evil to aspire towards?

Qingu on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think that a lot of kids are sort of like Maddie, in that they want a chance to hold on to these myths for a little while. They want the fun of make-believe, they want the mythology to seem real. I just also think there comes a time when the child is ready to know the truth, and that pushing for fantasy past this time is a bad idea.

Sounds about right. It's pretty much a matter of timing it properly. Too early and the kid's unnecessarily disillusioned; too late and it gets creepy.

And then hope some other kid doesn't spoil everyone.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Backstop wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Leaving cookies and milk out for santa and getting a wonderful letter the next day was a great time. And when I eventually realized that there was no santa(much like finding out that snape kills dumbledore, all people are brought to this harsh spoiler eventually),

What's this?

Having a little sister born when I was three, I had a pretty good idea where they came from, but when I asked 'how are they made,' my mom told me I'd learn that in high school. To which I said, 'ok,' that apparently being a perfectly adequate answer, although I actually learned the whole truth one day when I was nine, and saw a particular episode of NOVA.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Qingu, why do you suck the joy out of life? You are the Anti-Magic.

Your soul-sucking cynicism would destroy magic spells before they were ever completed if they existed.

You're like a Dementor from Harry Potter.

edit: tl;dr - You kill wizards.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I don't see why you need to lie by omission in how children are born. I never really understand the need for a Santa Claus with a gift giving holiday either.

Of course, if I could determine how my hypothetical child would be raised and educated, I'd probably end up having him/her educated in a manner similar to how John Stuart Mill was educated so I'm not exactly an ordinary person when it comes to how I view children.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

Sounds about right. It's pretty much a matter of timing it properly. Too early and the kid's unnecessarily disillusioned; too late and it gets creepy.

My daughter apparently told some other kid that there used to be a Santa, but now he's dead.

Good job, Maddie.

Special Bonus Off-Topic Anecdote:
    Yesterday Maddie was asking why we can't go to Disneyland all the time. I explained that Disneyland was far away, and it took a whole day just to get there, so we needed at least three or four days to go on a trip there. And that because school was important, we wanted to plan in advance so that we could make sure she didn't miss any valuable lessons.

"Yeah," she said, "like they might teach us what sort of things to stay away from cause they'll eat us, and I won't be there, and then I'll get eaten by a zombie."

She knows there's no Santa, but she refuses to stop believing in the undead.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm kind of against Santa, but mostly because I rather would have the old Swedish christmas tradition which is much more absurd and interesting instead of a fat man made popular by Coca Cola. There are still classic children's books out there where its someone dressed up with a goat's head and hoofs that brings the presents. And the entire thing with leaving porridge outside for the house gnome/troll/spirit thing, I'm gonna make my kids believe in that shit instead.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

My daughter apparently told some other kid that there used to be a Santa, but now he's dead.

Good job, Maddie.

Yesterday Maddie was asking why we can't go to Disneyland all the time. I explained that Disneyland was far away, and it took a whole day just to get there, so we needed at least three or four days to go on a trip there. And that because school was important, we wanted to plan in advance so that we could make sure she didn't miss any valuable lessons.

"Yeah," she said, "like they might teach us what sort of things to stay away from cause they'll eat us, and I won't be there, and then I'll get eaten by a zombie."

Quick, make her believe in undead Santa.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Good job, Maddie.

I think it's pretty clear that your daughter is pioneering the "Zombie Santa" school of Christmas.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You have raised your daughter wisely, Jeffe. Undoubtedly her vigilance will serve her well in the coming mutant apocalypse.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As to materialism, that's one thing we've been struggling with. Maddie is more materialistic than we'd like. I think a lot of it is due to my mom's insistence on getting her a fuckton of presents for pretty much every occasion. Like, twenty or so gifts for Xmas and birthdays, shit for Easter, for Valentines Day, for Independence Day, fucking everything.

We're beginning to prune her possessions, and trying to ween her of her desire for material goods (including asking my mom to not get more than 3 or 4 things per occasion), and it's been helping, but it's very easy to unintentionally raise a kid overly concerned with stuff.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

I tried to come up with a number of different things to add to this, but really I think the letter does a pretty good job of explaining when a tradition is sometimes more than just a tradition.

Doronron on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm tempted to follow the Kevin Smith Smodcast proposal of telling your kids that both Christmas presents and babies come from Odin One-Eye and his terrifying eight-legged steed, Sleipner.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Daxon wrote: »

Yes, poor people possess no happiness and only misery throughout their entire lives. It is their destiny.

Also, I'm 19 and I don't know what Calvinism is - I believe the risk of introducing your kids to it through the concept of Santa is miniscule.
    Just saying, it does seem a little off to tell kids that their presents have everything to do with determining whether they're good or not, when the quantity/size/value of a child's presents depends entirely on their family's circumstances.

I suppose this could have something to do with reality, but it's a hell of a stretch.

Then again, I was always told that just because I asked for it, didn't mean Santa would get it for me and so I guess I learned early what sort of extravagance wouldn't fly.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »

Good job, Maddie.

Quick, make her believe in undead Santa.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Doronron wrote: »
    Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

I tried to come up with a number of different things to add to this, but really I think the letter does a pretty good job of explaining when a tradition is sometimes more than just a tradition.

That is one huge glurge. Summary: We need to make shit up because the world would suck if it didn't. Childlike faith is something to be encouraged because of this. What a myopic view of the world.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    As to materialism, that's one thing we've been struggling with. Maddie is more materialistic than we'd like. I think a lot of it is due to my mom's insistence on getting her a fuckton of presents for pretty much every occasion. Like, twenty or so gifts for Xmas and birthdays, shit for Easter, for Valentines Day, for Independence Day, fucking everything.

We're beginning to prune her possessions, and trying to ween her of her desire for material goods (including asking my mom to not get more than 3 or 4 things per occasion), and it's been helping, but it's very easy to unintentionally raise a kid overly concerned with stuff.

I had that problem myself (by which I mean I was such a child myself), and it's one of the reasons my mother's side of the family doesn't speak to us at all. The weaning was a little tough, but it ultimately solved itself in a way. I became a fairly voracious reader, so I was mostly getting a boatload of books, which isn't nearly as worrisome, apparently.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That Virginia letter is unscientific dreck.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Have you got Maddie into the habit of giving gifts in return yet?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Just saying, it does seem a little off to tell kids that their presents have everything to do with determining whether they're good or not, when the quantity/size/value of a child's presents depends entirely on their family's circumstances.

I suppose this could have something to do with reality, but it's a hell of a stretch.

Then again, I was always told that just because I asked for it, didn't mean Santa would get it for me and so I guess I learned early what sort of extravagance wouldn't fly.

We went that route, too - Santa won't get you everything you ask for. We also never really harped on the "unless you're good, you won't get any presents" bit, because we didn't like the idea of her trying to be good just so she'd get shit. We've always taught her to be good because it's the right thing to do, and because being naughty will make others sad, or lead to her getting hurt.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That Virginia letter is unscientific dreck.

I loathe you and all your soulless brethren.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Your soul-sucking cynicism would destroy magic spells before they were ever completed if they existed.

Uh, last I checked, science is fucking magic. We have metal-and-glass talismans, powered by a mysterious force that we've harnessed, that can let us speak to each other over vast distances; suck images out of the air and transmit them elsewhere; perform mathematics for us; and play mysterious music. Other talismans can fly to other fucking worlds. Plus, Avada Kedavra < predator drones.

Who would want to live in Dumbledore's castle with no electricity? Shit, the wizards didn't even have a magical equivalent of television, let alone the Internet.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Have you got Maddie into the habit of giving gifts in return yet?

She loves to give gifts. Usually things she's made - cards or pictures or story books. She makes presents for people all the time, and currently there are half a dozen presents under our tree from her. She generally makes her own wrapping paper, too.

Last night she made a Christmas card for Julie that said, "Dear Mommy, I just want to thank you for all the wonderful things you do. Love, Maddie."

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

Uh, last I checked, science is fucking magic. We have metal-and-glass talismans, powered by a mysterious force that we've harnessed, that can let us speak to each other over vast distances; suck images out of the air and transmit them elsewhere; perform mathematics for us; and play mysterious music. Other talismans can fly to other fucking worlds. Plus, Avada Kedavra < predator drones.

Who would want to live in Dumbledore's castle with no electricity? Shit, the wizards didn't even have a magical equivalent of television, let alone the Internet.

But they have jelly beans that taste like vomit. So, win? I guess?

ElJeffe on