As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultima

hambonehambone Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
This thread is for the discussion of

Title-Ultima.gif

If not the first computer roleplaying series, it shares the crown with the Wizardry series for its influence in shaping the genre. As a trilogy of trilogies, each successive game pushed boundaries in terms of gameplay, writing and technical achievement.
lord_british.gif
It all started in 1979, when Richard “Lord British” Garriot created Akalabeth as a hobby. By today’s standards, it’s a primitive wireframe black and white first person dungeon crawl, programmed in Basic for the Apple II and originally sold in Ziploc bags to Garriot’s friends. Akalabeth is generally considered Ultima 0 as a historical footnote, but I don’t see it as very important to the series as a whole.

Ultimas I, II and III, the first trilogy, are known as the Age of Darkness. During these perilous times, the land of Sosaria is seemingly constantly under attack from powerful and sinister forces. The style of play has been called “Kill the Foozle” by Lord British.
Ultima1.gif
In Ultima 1, you, The Stranger, are called upon by the Brittanian king Lord British to stop the evil wizard Mondain. Though much of the adventure is carried out in the medieval fantasy world of Sosaria, eventually the game takes you into outer-space. It was not popular at the time, but was reprogrammed and re-released in 1986.

Ultima 2: Revenge of the Enchantress pits The Stranger against Mondain’s former apprentice and lover, Minax. Again you play as one character from another land, but this time Minax has found out the origins of The Stranger and using time travel and silver moongates, invades Earth.
Ultima3.gif
Ultima 3: Exodus is the first Ultima game to include a full party of adventurers and it replaced the wireframe dungeons with solid walls. Exodus, being the unholy spawn of Minax and Mondain, is carrying out a third invasion of Sosaria from his Isle of Fire. The party must obtain the help of the Time Lord and it is ultimately revealed that Exodus
[spoiler:bef6c5da38]is a computer.[/spoiler:bef6c5da38]

The Age of Enlightenment began with Ultima 4: The Quest of the Avatar. Ultima 4 marked a great departure from the original trilogy in that no longer was your goal to “Kill the Foozle”. For the first time possibly ever in a video game, the player was asked to consider the ethics of his actions.

After the death of Exodus, Sosaria was ripped apart, with Brittania seemingly the only continent to survive. To heal his people and recover the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom, Lord British creates a system of Eight Virtues: Valor, Honor, Honesty, Humility, Sacrifice, Spirituality, Justice and Compassion, and called for a champion among his people to embody these virtues as the Avatar.

You could not beat the game without playing virtuously. Running away from fights is unvalorous, stealing from others was unjust, ignoring beggars uncompassionate, and so on. Your main character’s class and starting location was chosen by answering series of hypothetical ethical questions about which virtues you lean towards. Each town and class represented a virtue, and each town had a party member of that class who could join you. This introduced the eight companions, central characters to the series such as Iolo, Shamino and Dupre.

Ultima 5: The Warriors of Destiny continued with this new concept of ethics in gameplay, by showing what happens when the virtues are taken to their extremes. Lord British has been imprisoned, and Lord Blackthorn sits on the throne, imposing his own version of the virtues where Justice means mandatory death sentences for even minor crimes. On top of that, three terrifying figures, the Shadowlords, are roaming the countryside.
ultima6-0.jpg
Ultima 6: The False Prophet was the last game in the Age of Enlightenment trilogy. In it, the Avatar is once again summoned from Earth, presumably to fight some new evil, but instead finds himself in a trap set by the Gargoyles who lived in the Stygian Abyss. He escapes with the help of Iolo, Shamino and Dupre and sets out to repel this new invasion. In doing so, it is revealed that the Gargoyles have invaded because their home was destroyed when the Avatar took the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom at the end of Ultima 4, and that they have their own system of virtues not unlike Britannia.

During the period between Ultimas 6 and 7 (2 years on Earth, 200 on Britannia), the Avatar has a series of lesser adventures:
under3.jpg
Ultima Underworld was developed in 1992 by now-canonized Looking Glass Studios and broke new ground as a first-person RPG, creating my favorite sub-genre. Released a full year before Doom, Underworld featured jumping, swimming, and the ability to look in a full 360 degrees. The Stygian Abyss had been turned into a massive dungeon with several races and subcultures each staking out their little claim. As the Avatar, you’re sealed in the Abyss as punishment when you are framed for the kidnapping of a nobleman’s daughter, and must rescue her to prove your innocence.

Ultima: Savage Empires and Ultima: Martian Dreams are huge, though interesting, departures from the series. In each, the Avatar finds himself adventuring on a strange world. In Savage Empire, you’re traipsing through the jungle with primitive tribesmen. In Martian Dreams, you’re exploring the ruins of a Martian civilization with the help of the early 20th centuries’ greatest minds. The games ran on the Ultima VI engine, and are highly sought after by collectors. I’ve never played them, myself, but would like to.

That brings us to the final trilogy: The Age of the Guardian.

Ultima VII: The Black Gate begins with the Avatar being summoned in the usual way, though strangely, Lord British wasn’t behind the summoning. In the 200 years that have passed, the virtues have fallen into disuse, and people follow a new religious cult called the Fellowship. The Avatar finds himself reuniting with his old friends while investigating a brutal ritualistic murder. The more he learns about the Fellowship, the more he begins to hear the strange and ominous voice of The Guardian.
Ultima_VII_The_Black_Gate_-_entry_i.jpg
This was my introduction to Ultima, and stands as my favorite video game of all time. The world of Britannia is beautifully colored, and everything is persistent. It was one of the first “sandbox” games that actually made you feel like you were in a world. Each NPC had his or her own schedule, story and life. There were no loading screens or level changes from Point A to Point B. You could harvest wheat from a field, grind it into flour at the mill, and bake that flour into bread in the oven and use that bread to feed your companions. Fourteen years since its release, I feel no game has achieved the high watermark set by Ultima 7’s combination of plot, dialogue and world interactivity. There was almost zero linearity.

Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds takes place after Ultima VII, when the Avatar must journey through several different dimensions, each controlled by the Guardian, to escape imprisonment and free his friends.

Serpent Isle was Ultima 7.5. It featured refinements to the Ultima 7 engine, and sent the Avatar and his companions to the titular Isle in pursuance of the Guardian’s agents. Though it lacked The Black Gate’s non-linearity and open-endedness, Serpent Isle had arguably the best story in the series. The Cosmic Serpent of Balance has been imprisoned, leading the Serpent Isle into Armageddon as the Serpents of Order and Chaos become unfettered by Balance.

Still seeking to return to Earth, Ultima 8 finds the Avatar trapped alone in the land of Pagan, a dominion of the Guardian, who has apparently found a way into Britannia. In this bleak and sunless world, the Avatar finds himself abandoning his virtues quite frequently as forces the Four elemental Titans who control Pagan to do his bidding. The world of Pagan must be torn apart for the Avatar to return to Britannia and thwart the Guardian once and for all.
pagan1.gif
Ultima 8 was and still is much maligned. It is the first of the main series since Ultima 2 to not include a full party of companions. It put the Avatar behind a metal mask, instead of allowing the player to choose a male or female character. It had awful, awful jumping puzzles. Garriot himself issued a lengthy apology to the fans, and made some pretty big promises for Ultima 9, the grand finale of the Guardian Trilogy.

But if you thought Ultima VIII caught a lot of flak, Ultima IX made it look like solid gold.

Ultima IX: Ascension spent five long years in development, with several revisions. Fans clamored for the return to a traditional Britannian adventure, with old companions and familiar themes. What they got was a slap in the face. Instead of starting off in a Guardian-ruled Britannia as in the end of Ultima VII, Ultima IX starts off on Earth, where the Avatar has somehow been hiding out for the past several years. Instead of having a party of companions, the Guardian has turned them against you, in some cases you are forced to kill them. Instead of choosing your gender and appearance, you play a strong-jawed blonde guy, like Duke Nukem without the glasses. Instead of the rich and proud Gargoyle culture of the previous games, the gargoyles are mindless evil drones. You even have to kill the “Queen” of the Gargoyles who had previously been asexual. Instead of going anywhere or doing anything, you followed a linear story

Ultima 9 did look pretty though. Technically, it was ahead of its time, and quite buggy. But the graphics were second to none. And the gameplay was pretty decent. There was a a fan patch that fixed a lot of the games inconsistencies and explained a lot of the plot holes, and generally goes a long way to making the game less of an insult to Ultima fans, but it still doesn’t come close to what it should have been.
ultima9.jpg
Pretty nice looking for 1999.

After its release, Garriot left Origin. The company was realigned by EA to focus only on one product, Ultima Online and currently the series as we know it is dead and gone.

Or is it? There are many fan remakes, notably Exult and Lazarus. Exult is an open-source reverse engineered engine for Ultima VII for modern systems, allowing you to play The Black Gate and Serpent Isle flawlessly (as long as you have the originals). Thanks to Exult, I play both about once every year or two. Lazarus is an Ultima 5 remake that uses the Dungeon Siege engine, but that already has its own thread.

Where can I buy Ultima games? Ebay and Amazon’s used sellers are the only places I can think of. Look for the Ultima Collection. It includes Ultimas 0 through 8 and .pdf versions of the manuals and cloth maps for each game. The Underworld games were release on an EA greatest hits CD that’s a bit harder to find. Savage Empire and Martian Dreams have never been re-released or put in a compilation and are almost impossible to find.

Links:
Ultima Collector’s Guide
Wikipedia on Ultima
The Notable Ultima (warning: midi)
Ultima: The Reconstruction, a site featuring all the different Ultima remake projects.
Doug the Eagle's "walkthroughs"

Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
hambone on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are the greatest games ever.

Brolo on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Awesome post, I wish there was an ultima collection released.

solsovly on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I loved Ultima 4: Avatar on the NES floating with the balloon changing the wind to move or running out of ingredient and being at the mercy of the wind.

Handkor on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wanted to try Ultima 9 so badly but it got ripped apart by several gaming magazines (rightly so apparantly). Is it in a playable form now?

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It's hovering around $40 used at Amazon, and is worth every penny IMO.

I wouldn't hold out for a rerelease. EA's a bitch like that. The original Ultima Collection was released to drum up interest in IX.

Ultima 9 is very playable, as long as you get the right patches.

The fan patch can be found at the Reconstruction link I posted, but disables the voices (which isn't a bad thing).

hambone on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I have played Ultima 7 and enjoyed it, would playing the previous Ultimas still be fun?

Couscous on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    solsovly wrote:
    Awesome post, I wish there was an ultima collection released.

When I originally bought the UO collectors edition it came with ultimate 1-8 on cd along with moslo to make it run correctly. Unfortunately I no longer have the cd.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd just like to say that, while I was never a huge ultima fan, Ultima Online, along with Tribes, and Ocarina of Time, rests unshakingly in the category of "Games that have influenced and inspired Ludious the most"

I was a big UO fan up until the Trammel incident and the carebearing of the game.

Ludious on
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ultima V is easily my favorite of the bunch, which is why the full remake (called Ultima V: Lazarus) in the Dungeon Siege engine was so awesome, and actually got me to buy Dungeon Siege just to play it.

I don't think I've actually played Dungeon Siege proper.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    If I have played Ultima 7 and enjoyed it, would playing the previous Ultimas still be fun?

It really depends on your patience for older games. The first trilogy is probably best left to nostalgia. They're dungeon hacks without a lot to offer these days.

The second trilogy plays well if you don't mind the old-school interfaces, graphics and dialogue. Games have come a long way in the last two decades, but the Ultimas after 4 are each unique and interesting and have enough qualities to set them apart.

The Ultima Collection and the Underworld games should all run well under dosbox, though Ultima 7 should be played with Exult.

hambone on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found the Ultima VII complete ultimate collectors edition thingy (Black Gate, Serpent Isle, Forge of Virtue, Silver Seed, cloth mapm background books, etc) in a charity shop for a few pounds a while back, and ran it with Exult.
    I really ought to get round to playing it properly.

Thread doesn't mention the censored, watered-down SNES version of Ultima 7, btw.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Black Gate was my first Ultima game as well. I still think it is my favorite game of all time. I don't know of any rpg that is better.

antifood on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    sethsez wrote:
    Ultima V is easily my favorite of the bunch, which is why the full remake (called Ultima V: Lazarus) in the Dungeon Siege engine was so awesome, and actually got me to buy Dungeon Siege just to play it.

I don't think I've actually played Dungeon Siege proper.

Have you done the IT-HE walkthrough for it? If not, do it now. I posted a link with my last post.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rolo wrote:
    Never really liked 2 but 1 was pure gold...

Matter of fact, I think I'll go play that sumbitch.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Xagarath wrote:
    Thread doesn't mention the censored, watered-down SNES version of Ultima 7, btw.

There's probably a reason for that.

hambone on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hambone wrote:
    titmouse wrote:

It really depends on your patience for older games. The first trilogy is probably best left to nostalgia. They're dungeon hacks without a lot to offer these days.

The second trilogy plays well if you don't mind the old-school interfaces, graphics and dialogue. Games have come a long way in the last two decades, but the Ultimas after 4 are each unique and interesting and have enough qualities to set them apart.

The Ultima Collection and the Underworld games should all run well under dosbox, though Ultima 7 should be played with Exult.
    I'm used to dealing with graphics and old-school dialogue. What is the interface like? Are there a ton of different keys that I will need to remember? Not being able to use a mouse should be fine for me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have never played an Ultima game, but Richard Garriot is God to me, even if just for his house

LewieP on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My old avatar: rayofash19jg.gif

Pun intended. I got Ultima 9 along with Ultima 1-8 in some sort of package off of eBay. It was about $20. My best purchase ever.

rayofash on
  • Options
    antifoodantifood Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rolo wrote:

The storyline for Ultima Underworld 1 was... awesome. I really wish LB would create a spiritual successor to the Ultima series. Similar to Bioshock i suppose.

antifood on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ultima 8 and 9 are so villianized, but IMO that is only because of the insane popularity (rightfully so) of 7 and 7.5.

I greatly enjoyed 8 and 9 each for their own reasons. I miss the bravado the old origin that wasn't afraid to push the limits of what a computer could do. 9 was a system slayer, but it looked better than anything else out there and was pretty darn fun if you got lucky with the savegame corruption bugs as the savegames got larger.

For all the complaining of bugs in 8 and 9, it was ultima 7 that was unbeatable for me due to a bug.

I was playing and following the murders (wandering around slowly as well, so I had a huge amount of playtime invested) until I was supposed to go to a murder scene and get a ceremonial dagger that unlocked the rest of the storyline. The dagger was nowhere to be found. After an insane amount of searching and research on the internet, there was no solution to this game ending bug other than loading up all your old savegames and hoping one of them had the dagger. I had 4 savegames, NONE of them contained the dagger.

I am bitter about that game to this day. Nowadays there may be an easy solution, the bug may be gone in the new reverse engineered system, but I don't have the urge to play it again and hit the same bug.

It would not have upset me so much if 7 was not a fun game though. I also never met a system that ran this game well. Moslo made it quirky in my experience and a system slow enough to not be too fast was very choppy. There seemed to be a very small window of computers that could play this right. I leapfrogged over that window.

I also played some 6 but it was a tad open ended for me and I didn't really end up following the storyline and instead just wandering around exploring. I did have a lot of fun in it though.

Other than those, I also spent WAY too long as a kid completing Exodus on the NES.

Smudge on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hambone wrote:
    Xagarath wrote:

There's probably a reason for that.
    True, true.
    I'm used to dealing with graphics and old-school dialogue. What is the interface like? Are there a ton of different keys that I will need to remember? Not being able to use a mouse should be fine for me.
    Ultima 7 is pretty much all mouse.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Having played UO for years but none of the other games, this was a pretty nice read. Puts things in perspective of where everything is. Too bad EA killed the series and the MMO.

jotate on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Are there a ton of different keys that I will need to remember?

Quite a bit, but since combat is turn based it's not so bad. It's generally a good idea to keep a notebook too, since there's no in-game journal. You'll have to learn the runic alphabet, keep track of the moon phases, learn the mantras, learn the spellwords and their reagents, that sort of thing.

hambone on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Remember the part in Underworld where you have to learn how to speak to the lizardmen by talking to that mute lizardman prisoner who demonstrates the meaning of words with gestures and pantomime? Maybe it's just me, but I think that was basically the best thing ever.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As bad as UIX was, it still did a lot of things that I still haven't seen done recently.

To be more exact, I was always kinda dissapointed with Morrowind because you had to load between interior and exterior zones, while UIX was entirely seamless.

Mind you, most of the "towns" in the world consisted of three small shacks and occasionally a cave, but it was still seamless.

That said, SA had a really amusing "lets play Ultima: Ascension" thread a few weeks back.

edit:

Best CD EVAR! Too bad I can't play most of what's on it anymore... :O

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ultima 7 is pretty much the best game ever just for all the secrets it had.

Like that one chest right outside of Trinsic (that was where you started, right?) that contains a metric fuckton of gold and equipment.

And, of course, the hoe of death.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    WHY wrote:
    As bad as UIX was, it still did a lot of things that I still haven't seen done recently.

To be more exact, I was always kinda dissapointed with Morrowind because you had to load between interior and exterior zones, while UIX was entirely seamless.

Mind you, most of the "towns" in the world consisted of three small shacks and occasionally a cave, but it was still seamless.

That said, SA had a really amusing "lets play Ultima: Ascension" thread a few weeks back.

edit:

Best CD EVAR! Too bad I can't play most of what's on it anymore... :O

I have a CD with those exact same games on it, only it looks different.

Also, it was the Hoe of Destruction.

rayofash on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The first Ultima I played was III on my Apple IIc back in the day. Beaten every one up to Pagan since then...

Gotta resist the urge to rebuy the collection...

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I knew Ultima VII was awesome when I found a spell called Armageddon and tried it out.

Couscous on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My old room:

ultimaiii_b.jpg

And also:

ultima.jpg

Packaging rivalled only by Infocom.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Very very nice Eobet.

hambone on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Was it ever decided if the U5 Dungeon Siege remake was any good? Thinking about grabbing Dungeon Siege off Amazon.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oooh, anyone remember that weird shack in the woods in Serpent Isle where there was a computer that was playing Strike Commander I think? I don't even know where I got the key to get into it. It's been a good 12-13 years since I've played it.

Esh on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    antifood wrote:
    Rolo wrote:

The storyline for Ultima Underworld 1 was... awesome. I really wish LB would create a spiritual successor to the Ultima series. Similar to Bioshock i suppose.

The closest thing we have is Arx Fatalis; but it's not nearly as good as UW. Especially once those fucking super-warriors start messing your shit up and you have to abuse game mechanics to actually kill them.

Sadly, my attempt to play UW just now failed misrably as I just can't come to grips with the control scheme anymore. Using a touchpad probably didn't help. This game needs a true remake badly. Hell, even a source port with a more modern control scheme would be helpful.
    Captain K wrote:
    Remember the part in Underworld where you have to learn how to speak to the lizardmen by talking to that mute lizardman prisoner who demonstrates the meaning of words with gestures and pantomime? Maybe it's just me, but I think that was basically the best thing ever.

Indeed.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    More on Richard Garriot:

http://www.playtr.com/team/team_bios.html

That story is also pretty awesome. I wish people still role-played like that.

http://www.playtr.com/team/team_bios.html

AHAHAHAHAHA!

rayofash on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tis a hushed legend from whence I came but is it true that in one of the ultima mmorpgs that the city of Trinsic was actually attacked and despite heavy resistance by players was DESTROYED by a horde of undead? And that Lord British himself had been assassinated during a public address to the people outside his castle.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tis a hushed legend from whence I came but is it true that in one of the ultima mmorpgs that the city of Trinsic was actually attacked and despite heavy resistance by players was DESTROYED by a horde of undead? And that Lord British himself had been assassinated during a public address to the people outside his castle.

There ya go.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Esh wrote:
    Oooh, anyone remember that weird shack in the woods in Serpent Isle where there was a computer that was playing Strike Commander I think?

If it's the shack I think it is, I seem to remember there being a pirate in there. It was sort of a lame joke about how people who pirate games are losers.

hambone on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BTW... did you know following secret about Ultima VII and Serpent Isle? All objects in both games are actually stored in huge "corpse room", from which they are teleported to game area when needed. In first versions of Serpent Isle, it was actually possible to accidentally teleport into corpse room.

But when you really think about it, Ultima VII really pushed technical boundaries for its age. Vast, immense world that was extremely well thought. And game ran even with 386SX. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.