As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox questions

John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I currently have a 3-year old xbox 360. Non-HDMI with 20gb hard drive.

I was recently given $500 in tokens to the local mega-mall by my awesome firm.

I want to get a new Xbox Elite, but I'm concerned about transferring my data. Concerned why? Because I'd like to trade in my old xbox at gamestop and bring home the Elite, thereby not letting me have both consoles in the same place at the same time. I know, we all hate gamestop, but if I'm not that confident that I'll get $70 on craigslist for a 3-year old console when there are newer 60gb HDMI's out there for $100-ish.

I suppose my question has several parts:

1. How much is my model of xbox (working, with all the accessories) worth at gamestop? I am led to believe $70.
2. Does gamestop only do in-store credit, or can I get cash?
3. Are the data transfer cables still free from MS?
4. If you were in my position of wanting a new xbox, what would you do?

Thanks!

Also, I can't decide between Forza 3 or Assassin's Creed 2.

John Matrix on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1. I would be surprised if you got half that.
    2. You get more if you opt for in-store credit.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You could always buy the new one, transfer data, and then trade in the old one afterwards for credit to use for future game purchases.

Daenris on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This advice might seem ridiculous to youl, but I've been in the same position and would like to share my scheming. My plan, when I finally get down to buying a replacement, is just to give the spare model to a friend who doesn't currently have a 360 that I would like to game with. I will demand lunches and small favors for awhile in compensation. Trade-in values on 360's are poop, and I figure the $50 or so I'd get for it isn't worth the convenience of hooking a buddy up and getting $25 worth of food over a few lunches purchased for me. Plus, this guy would be totally hooked by getting the free 360, and would probably buy games to play with me pretty regularly. He's just afraid of that initial "system purchase" hurdle.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    damnit beer lupus, where were u when i needed a free 360 1 month ago? >:/

also dude ur level 70 that is awesome high fives and such

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    damnit beer lupus, where were u when i needed a free 360 1 month ago? >:/

also dude ur level 70 that is awesome high fives and such

I prestiged, so now I'm 17 again.

I think that my tactic only works with certain types of friends, in situations where you have folks you don't see IRL often enough.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I might just bite the bullet and buy it, transfer the data, and then sell/trade it later. I was just hoping to use less of my gift money up front.

[Edit] Wtf is the deal with the data transfer? Can I get a free cable in the US?

John Matrix on