As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you have some gift advice I could haul it away for you, maybe?

Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint EastwoodRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So for christmas, I was thinking of getting a few games for my two older sisters' perhaps through steam cause that would be easy. I was thinking maybe get them 2 cheap games for each of them. Now I know what you're thinking. HUGH, they're girls!!!! Don't get them games!!! Get them perfume or some girly shit...

Well, the last time I got them something like that I found the present discarded in a corner in one of their rooms. They aren't gamers, but they do enjoy "casual" type games. I introduced plants vs. zombies to my oldest sister with the demo and she fuckin loved it and so did my niece. Now my niece, she is 12 years old and is gigantic star wars fan, she has force unleashed on wii and the lego star wars games on the DS.

Would she be able to play knights of the old republic? Is there any mature content on that game? I never got around to trying it myself. I'm just wondering if it's appropriate for her age or any other problems with that. My other sister (second oldest sister? middle child? the mean one? Don't know what to call her) she has a wii the only thing I know she loves is the wario smooth moves n' shit. I doubt steam has anything like that, but maybe I could get her peggle. Although, I don't know why I should get her anything as she doesn't give a shit about me and gave me a check for my last birthday...

TLDR for teh lazy: kotor good for 12 year old star wars fanatic? Not too complicated? What else can I get for casual gaming sister's that may be like p vs. z or wario smooth moves?

Hugh Jass on

• Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm...I think you should think about getting something that maybe aligns a bit more with your sisters' interests. What else are they into?

witch_ie on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    While KOTOR does have some more 'mature' things going on, I think they're handled pretty well. At worst, I think it'd go over her head because it's pretty subtle stuff.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    witch_ie wrote: »
    Hmm...I think you should think about getting something that maybe aligns a bit more with your sisters' interests. What else are they into?

Bitching, moaning, making everyone else as miserable as they are. They enjoy doing that. Other then that I couldn't tell ya. Like I said, I tried getting them girl stuff b4 and they obviously didn't like it.

"While KOTOR does have some more 'mature' things going on, I think they're handled pretty well. At worst, I think it'd go over her head because it's pretty subtle stuff."

What specifically? If it has any excessive violence or nudity and my sis finds I'm a gunna get bitch-slapped.

Hugh Jass on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If your older sister liked PvZ, the obvious next game to get her is World of Goo. It's an utterly fantastic 2d physics simulator with lovely graphics that will run on any machine.

Tav on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tav wrote: »
    If your older sister liked PvZ, the obvious next game to get her is World of Goo. It's an utterly fantastic 2d physics simulator with lovely graphics that will run on any machine.

World of Goo is a good choice. I would also recommend Puzzle Quest or Gyromancer as they're both available on Steam, easy to pick up, and highly addictive.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, if she likes her music, Audiosurf is also a good choice.

God Steam is awesome for crap like this.

Tav on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    World of Goo! or Puzzle Quest.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KotOR would be pretty good because apart from the final fight (which is incredibly dependant on your force powers) the game is easy enough that you don't really need to know anything about the RPG system, you can pick what seems best/cool. It's a lot less action oriented then the force unleashed though. There's no nudity, and no very graphic violence.

Osmos is an simple puzzle game, quite recommendable.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    World of Goo is a pretty good casual puzzle game. It's got a great sense of humor and excellent production values.

EDIT: Also I'm seconding AudioSurf.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    First off, I found the thread title very clever and enjoyable with little unpleasant aftertaste of which to speak.

KOTOR's fairly tame in how it handles anything which might be considered "mature," especially compared with, say, Mass Effect (which itself is at worst PG-13). Bear in mind, though, it's a dramatically different game than Force Unleashed or Lego Star Wars. She might not enjoy RPGs compared to platformers. And some Bioware RPGs are, in my experience, female-unfriendly insofar as they never have the casual elements that my wife loves -- she doesn't love min-maxing a character in Mass Effect, she loves creating outfits and playing with her dog in Fable.

It is, however, among the best Star Wars games ever, and a fairly good D20 - style RPG to boot, so it might be worth a try.

SammyF on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    did you get them one of those horrible gift sets from bath and body works or something last time? man, i have a million lotion and perfume sets, and i go through so little of it i will always have excess.

i say give girly stuff a try again, browse around www.etsy.com for scarves, jewelry and such. if they are the types that would enjoy it, they have handmade stoneware there too, that is what i bought my older sister (though she is 24 and appreciates stuff like that a lot, not all sisters would) this one

good luck gift shoppin'

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    DS games aren't really expensive, you could probably go for anything in the pool of casual sidescrollers (Kirby, Super Princess Peach, Mario, Metroid) and see if she likes it. Metroid is scifi and she may like that more.

If you don't understand girly stuff, dont bother with it. I never really enjoyed that sorta stuff when I was 11, and was relieved when people stopped buying me heart shaped shit and started giving me gift cards. I think taking the chance with something you understand a little more, is better than the shot in the dark. DS games are cooler than shower gel.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    witch_ie wrote: »

Bitching, moaning, making everyone else as miserable as they are. They enjoy doing that. Other then that I couldn't tell ya. Like I said, I tried getting them girl stuff b4 and they obviously didn't like it.

"While KOTOR does have some more 'mature' things going on, I think they're handled pretty well. At worst, I think it'd go over her head because it's pretty subtle stuff."

What specifically? If it has any excessive violence or nudity and my sis finds I'm a gunna get bitch-slapped.

No there's certainly no nudity (apart from character models in their bloomers if you strip all the armor off, but really I see worse on Fox and ABC) and there's no blood/gore. I was mostly referring to the character development, and they fact that you can have a 'relationship' with a few of the characters. I feel like most (all?) of that would be lost on a 12 year old, but I could be wrong. Also, the game deals a lot with the question of "what make things right?" as a philosophical question. It's basically a big grey area. Honestly for how cheap KOTOR is now I'd take a gamble and get it for her. If she hates it, take it yourself and enjoy and awesome RPG.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Was I supposed to hear Dr. Zoidberg's voice when I read the thread title?

Anyway, yes, go look at steam. Lots on sale these days. Audiosurf is awesome if they like music a lot. Tons of other little nifty games; poke around. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume they like fantasy stuff; many gamer girls do (about as much as gamer guys like sci-fi). In that case, you have a ton of options - one of my favourite and cheap games is Majesty, it's up on Steam. It's an RTS that mostly plays itself, you just 'guide' your kingdom. It's also very tounge-in-cheek. I ahven't played the sequel, but I hear it's mostly the same thing with nicer graphics, so get that instead if they have a beefy computer.

Also, since no-one has mentioned it, the obvious: The Sims. I swear, every girl ever likes this (and most guys).

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, since no-one has mentioned it, the obvious: The Sims. I swear, every girl ever likes this (and most guys).

Not my thread, but that might help me out as well. I always forget about The Sims.

Are there any good Wii or PS3 Sims games?

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png