As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix set-top box (gift idea)?

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to get my dad some kind of a device that functions like the XBox 360's Netflix streaming thing, but without the rest of the Xbox 360.

Is there some kind of standalone Netflix device that will stream "instant watch" movies to your TV?

Thanks, friends!

Qingu on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You mean like the Roku thing?

Coworker of mine has it and is a big fan.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yis, that was what first came up on a Google. I've never even heard of it, though.

Also, what are the relative merits of having a Netflix/Blu-Ray player? I don't think my dad has a blu-ray, though he has an HDTV.

Qingu on
  • Options
    dacount97dacount97 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have no experience with them, but Roku is supposed to do that.

Here is the site - http://www.roku.com/

dacount97 on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maybe you could combine a gift? Some Blu-ray players have netflix and pandora streaming capabilities built into them.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanatos had a thread in the Tech Tavern asking about BD players, and several of the offers included Netflix and other types of streaming. If your dad has an HDTV, I really think this would be the best route to go, since it would future-proof him, should BD actually hit critical mass.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The roku is great and is expanding what they can stream past just netflix.
    For instance, they have MLB steaming, if you're a baseball fan.
    The PS3 is obviously more expensive but does BR and netflix well too.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HD TiVos have Netflix too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you wanted to get a Blu-Ray player with Netflix streaming, that would also be a good gift -- and the Netflix streaming is very straightforward in all of them. I believe for most all you need to do is enter in your account info and that's that -- it'll connect to the internet and register with your account. It's the same idea behind the 360, PS3 disc, Roku, etc.

I've got a friend who has a blu ray player that does the Pandora/Netflix/etc thing and he loves it. He uses it for Pandora and Netflix more than for blu ray. It's really just a matter of cost -- I don't think any of them do Netflix poorly.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    just FYI, Netflix streaming requires decent download/upload speed... if your parents happen to have the basic internet package, the image quality will downright suck... check this before buying to avoid wasting money

illig on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    illig wrote: »
    just FYI, Netflix streaming requires decent download/upload speed... if your parents happen to have the basic internet package, the image quality will downright suck... check this before buying to avoid wasting money

Eh, depends on who they're getting it through. I have basic Comcast cable, and I get full bars on everything I stream, whether it's HD or not.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JimJimBinksJimJimBinks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a Roku box at home and love it.
    It connects to my router via wifi. Both HD, and standard def programs on netflix look great. The Amazon VOD store is also really damn good. It's the best $99 I'd ever spent on a video device, and I hear it's cheaper now. I don't have the best internet connection at home, and the only time I've seen a program re-buffer after the initial buffering at the beginning was when I was running bit torrent.

JimJimBinks on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I also have a Roku box at home and it works great, even with my "slow" DSL internet connection. Netflix offers a free disc to let you stream on your PS3, otherwise the blueray player idea sounds good too. $99 for the Roku HD box is a pretty nice deal.

Count Funkula on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Get him a ps3!

they are like super cheap now

Arch on