As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Monitor has died

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
What are the best brands for a new monitor?

Scart sockets would be a plus, but I am looking generally for a resonable priced, good monitor. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks folks.

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What are you going to use it for?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SCART? seriously? are you using this on the WOPR?

ahem.

What equipment are you using to output to this monitor, and what are your image requirements?

IIRC SCART is analog only, and SD only, which would make any modern flat panel a less than ideal as it would struggle to display the SD signal... maybe a used CRT monitor?

illig on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You'd have to be more specific, good Helloween, for although I know of your LPing and editing that you do, that does not really tell me the kind of monitor you'd like. Measurements, specifications, any ports and preferences you'd want to have on it, perhaps citing your old one's setup, would be helpful.

As for a brand, I'd start by looking at an LG computer monitor. They have great screens of across the board sharp quality, like their TVs, and many of the smaller monitors are quite fairly priced.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah lg hmm. yes sorry i should have posted more details, I wasnt really thinking.

Well it needs to be a 19" one. I have a powerful pc to use it with (mainly gaming and University work) and 1280x1024 resolution is perfect for me.

With the scart, my old Samsung monitor did this adequetly and thats all it needs really. Or would some sort of SCART>VGA adapter be better?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Viewsonic are mostly-known for their higher-end stuff, but they do some more budget models without compromising much on quality. It's totally not what you're looking for, but as an example this is what I got just a couple of days ago. 22-inch, 1080p, 16:9 widescreen, with HDMI, DVI and VGA.

I had some hesitations about going widescreen for gaming, films and work, but I'm not looking back now! Almost everything nowadays is formatted for widescreen (including games), and the extra clarity and size is worth it to say the least. At 22-inch+ you're not really sacrificing height for width, and I think you'd appreciate the sharpness of 1920*1080 for gaming.

Oh - and as for the SCART thing, it's just increasingly rare on monitors, as it really doesn't produce very good results - PS2 games and similar look abysmal even with a decent upscaler. So an otherwise worthwhile choice may not have it - not sure about converters.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Viewsonic are mostly-known for their higher-end stuff, but they do some more budget models without compromising much on quality. It's totally not what you're looking for, but as an example this is what I got just a couple of days ago. 22-inch, 1080p, 16:9 widescreen, with HDMI, DVI and VGA.

I had some hesitations about going widescreen for gaming, films and work, but I'm not looking back now! Almost everything nowadays is formatted for widescreen (including games), and the extra clarity and size is worth it to say the least. At 22-inch+ you're not really sacrificing height for width, and I think you'd appreciate the sharpness of 1920*1080 for gaming.

Oh - and as for the SCART thing, it's just increasingly rare on monitors, as it really doesn't produce very good results - PS2 games and similar look abysmal even with a decent upscaler. So an otherwise worthwhile choice may not have it - not sure about converters.

That looks great. I might pick that up, thanks!

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!