As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Transformers]: War for Cybertron out now! Light your darkest hour today!

Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
New OP wanted: There's been requests for a more up to date thread, and while I don't have any qualms about updating it, I haven't kept up on the latest info very well and don't have the time to get caught up. If someone wants to slap together a new OP, I'd be more than happy to edit it in here. I'll try and keep it updated on my own in the meantime.

Wikipedia Sez:
Transformers: War for Cybertron is a third-person shooter video game developed by High Moon Studios and published by Activision. It was released on June 22, 2010 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Two portable versions will be released for the Nintendo DS. A game for the Wii called Transformers: Cybertron Adventures is being developed by Next Level Games and utilizes the same characters and setting as War for Cybertron. Hasbro also has a toy line releasing in 2010 based on War for Cybertron.

Transformers: War for Cybertron is a third person shooter that takes place prior to the original Transformers arrival on Earth, when the Transformers still lived on the machine planet Cybertron. The game has two distinct campaigns, one for each faction. The story of the Decepticon campaign is a prelude to the Autobot campaign's story. Both campaigns can be played in single-player or cooperatively via online multiplayer, and can drop in or out of the game at any time, but no splitscreen option. Each campaign level features three playable Transformers. If fewer than three players are present, the game's AI controls the remaining playable characters.

Multiplayer
Competitive multiplayer games do not allow use of canon Transformers. Players must create their own Transformer based on the class they wish to play which determines their vehicle form. They may then choose a specific look for that form, and customize the color scheme, weaponry and abilities they take into battle. Classes include a "Leader" class, a "Soldier" class, a "Scientist" class, and a "Scout" class, each with unique abilities, vehicular transformation, and weapon loadouts. Scouts are cars, Leaders are trucks, Scientists are jets and Soldiers are tanks. The multiplayer aspect also features a experience and leveling up system, including perks, and upgrades.

War for Cybertron has several multiplayer modes to choose from.

Deathmatch: A free-for-all game type where the player with the most kills at the end of the game is the winner. In "Team Deathmatch" players are divided into Autobot and Decepticon teams. The winning team is the one who earns the most kills.
Conquest: A capture-and-hold style game, similar to the conquest mode found in the Star Wars Battlefront series.
Countdown to Extinction: Players must take an active bomb and place it at an enemy base, similar to the Assault mode in the Halo series.
Power Struggle: Capture the Flag game type.
Code of Power: A mode consisting of two and a half minute rounds where teams vie for a giant melee weapon.
Escalation: A mode for exclusive pre-order characters and characters unlocked during the campaign. Non-stop waves of robots attack until the player(s) are defeated, similar to the Gears of War "Horde" mode or Halo's "Firefight" mode. Players are also able to spend points earned from defeated enemies on health, ammo, new weapons and unlocking new areas in the map.

Multiplayer Metatag (Xbox 360):
Behold, the Eroticons

Undead Scottsman on

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I loved that Transformers that came out on the PS2, slick boss battles and satisfying gameplay. If this is anything like it then it will be a day one.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Transformers on the PS2 was pretty awesome.

I hold out hope for this game as long as it has nothing to do with the Bay abominations. Using it's own continuity is a good idea since they seem to not want to do a G1 era game.

For once give me a playable Soundwave dangit! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I hold out hope for this game as long as it has nothing to do with the Bay abominations. Using it's own continuity is a good idea since they seem to not want to do a G1 era game.

He's stuck in a satellite, remember? He's busy.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Judgement wrote: »

Ugh...what a waste of a fantastic character. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Meh, the coolest things about him was that he had an awesome voice (which they fucked up in the movie) and that he had an army he could eject out of his chest. I don't get what's with all the Soundwave love.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    But Constructicons inferior...Soundwave Superior! :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, they went to the trouble to get Soundwave's voice actor, but they didn't process it into that cool sound. Just one of the 47,921 problems of that flick.

At any rate, while I'm not a big fan of Activision exploiting the shit out of their franchises, this sounds like a pretty decent idea.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, War Within style designs? Fuck yes! I own the PS2 game, but I've never played it, on account of buying a used copy from Gamestop that was so scratched it couldn't even get to the title screen.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Meh, the coolest things about him was that he had an awesome voice (which they fucked up in the movie) and that he had an army he could eject out of his chest. I don't get what's with all the Soundwave love.

Uh... what?

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Didn't you just give us the reasons? o_O

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Uh... what?

There's no character there. You could take those features and apply them to any character if you wanted. Soundwave, in and of himself, really doesn't strike me of deserving of all the fanfare given to him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Heathen! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's no character there. You could take those features and apply them to any character if you wanted. Soundwave, in and of himself, really doesn't strike me of deserving of all the fanfare given to him.
    We're talking about a character from an 80's cartoon designed to sell toys. None of them had complex identities.

Bama on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    We're talking about a character from an 80's cartoon designed to sell toys. None of them had complex identities.

Pretty much. Even characters like Optimus and Starscream were pretty thin. And Soundwave did have his goofy speech patterns going for him.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would love a Beast Wars game :(. I felt those characters were way more deep than the cartoon.

McAllen on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Wait, War Within style designs? Fuck yes! I own the PS2 game, but I've never played it, on account of buying a used copy from Gamestop that was so scratched it couldn't even get to the title screen.

You need to remedy that problem. The PS2 Transformers game is the only Transformers game I have actively enjoyed playing.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    McAllen wrote: »
    I would love a Beast Wars game :(. I felt those characters were way more deep than the cartoon.

815221-196741_10857_front_large.jpg

Anyway this sounds cool. I really enjoyed the new movie game. It wasn't amazing by any definition but it was fun and they did a good job of making you feel like you were controlling a transformer.

Better than the first one by an infinite margin anyway. IMO on par with the PS2 version but eh.

But it's TF, so I'll buy it anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Except for the transform button which you had to stupidly hold in to stay in vehicle mode. Really dumb design decision.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eh; I got used to it.

Except the flying, or race, stages you didn't need to be in vehicle form that often anyway.

It probably would have been better to just make it a trigger instead of a press and hold but well you get what you get with Transformers games.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I guess I am in the minority since I loved the most recent movie tie-in. The game was a lot of fun, I can't really speak to whether it was "balanced" since unfortunately pretty much no one is ever playing it on XBL. At least as far as I can tell. That's unfortunate, but not much you can do about it.

I'm anxious to see what comes of this game.

Also, Soundwave is playable in the most recent game (Revenge of the Fallen). Unfortunately he comes in the DLC pack that includes G1 megatron, G1 starscream, sideswipe, G1 prime, and a lot of other dudes.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    am i the only one that cant see this pics without registering for something?

Joolander on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Rubix42 wrote: »

You need to remedy that problem. The PS2 Transformers game is the only Transformers game I have actively enjoyed playing.

The zx spectrum one was pretty good too, but yeah if they make this like the armada game on the PS2 it should at least have a chance of being good.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Pretty much. Even characters like Optimus and Starscream were pretty thin. And Soundwave did have his goofy speech patterns going for him.

The reason we loved starscream was because he was a ghettoblaster. If you didn't live in the 80s you wouldn't understand.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I mean the only way they couldv made him cooler would be if he ate reebok pumps.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iiVylwMBH4

Anyhoo, why the fuck is Ratchet playable?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The reason we loved starscream was because he was a ghettoblaster. If you didn't live in the 80s you wouldn't understand.

My sarcasm detecter is broken. Was that supposed to be ironic?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Rubix42 wrote: »

I've tried everything. Skin oil, banana peel, toothpaste. Short of buying a new copy, obviously. Can't be expensive, maybe I just ought to do that.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Chen wrote: »

He's a fan-favorite thanks to the G1 comics?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

By doing what? Ridiculing Grimlock?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Going toe-to-toe with Megatron on several occasions.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Being Megatron on one occasion.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Being Megatron on one occasion.

HELP US

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ratchet was also pretty cool in Animated, and not bad in IDW's comics.

And you can see some of the images here for Megatron, Optimus Prime, and Soundwave. Others who appear in the article are Ironhide and one suspected of being either a G1-ish version of Animated Blitzwing or of the Combaticon Onslaught.

Anyway, looking forward to this, as I've thought for some time now that it would be more beneficial for developers working on a long-lived franchise to create their own iteration/continuity, rather than force themselves into a tight movie release deadline or some other flavor-of-the-month deal.

For example, the PS2 Transformers game. That was based on Armada, but it didn't come out until some time during Energon, if I remember right. I imagine that wouldn't have helped it move.

But then, look at something like Batman: Arkham Asylum. If they'd been working of The Dark Knight, I doubt we'd have had a game anywhere as good.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Interested if this is of the quality of the PS2 game, which I doubt, but you never know.
    Alternately, if Death's Head is playable (unlikely, given the rights issues).

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Uh, no, I meant Soundwave.

Starscream was a bitch.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When this game comes out I'm going to burn a song onto cd and play it on repeat.

You know what that song is. If you were born in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Smop6CoS0

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Uh... what?

You should read the G1 comics, especially the UK ones if you want some more reasons to love Soundwave. Dinobot Hunt in particular. Also there's his motto:

"Cries and screams are music to my ears."

Cullen on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Uh, no, I meant Soundwave.

Starscream was a bitch.

Okay, I wasn't sure if you were making a joke about how people don't really remember the correct details through all the nostalgial.

Just one nitpic though, Soundwave didn't turn into a ghettoblaster (That'd be his autobot equivilant, Blaster) he turned into a cassette deck. (Technically a mini-cassette deck, if you go by the toy)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Undead Scottsman on