Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Homeopathy: lol.

RobmanRobman Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0c5yClip4o

Here is a woman who in 8 minutes and 12 seconds manages to be wrong about every single branch of science ever.

This has to be a world record of astounding fail.

And yet, and yet... Homeopathy is a booming business, with its snake oil cures flying off the shelves. Are we really such a dehydrated, scientifically ignorant society that people fall for this shit?

Robman on
«13456712

Posts

  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yes we are.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

  • JoolanderJoolander It's like Christmas But with more ... ME!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    multi

    your avatar is weeping

    1JM7Sqi.jpg
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    Why am I on track to become an engineer/doctor? Why am I going to be 200k in debt so I can create marvels of medical science? Why aren't I in this fucking business? Oh right, I have self respect.

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I saw the thread title and rushed in, hoping to post the video in the OP. Can't say I'm disappointed.

    My favorite analogy for homeopathy is: "It's like losing your car keys in a slow-moving river and instead of looking for them, you run 5 miles downstream, scoop up a small cupful of water, run back to your car, and pour the water into the ignition, expecting the engine to turn over."

    china_sig.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.
    Oscillococcinum is generally considered harmless. When Boiron's spokeswoman Gina Casey was asked if a product made from the heart and liver of a duck was safe, she replied: "Of course it is safe. There's nothing in it."

    hahahaha

    china_sig.jpg
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also required:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujUQn0HhGEk

    Though the skeptic thread basicly went over this a week or two ago.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    god, I have a step-uncle who's into this shit. Every time I (rarely) see him at a holiday gathering he's got some new story about neural realignment or whatever the latest bullshit is

    ugh

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience/
    The rejection of hard-won knowledge is by no means a new phenomenon. In 1905, French mathematician and scientist Henri Poincaré said that the willingness to embrace pseudo-science flourished because people “know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether illusion is not more consoling.” Decades later, the astronomer Carl Sagan reached a similar conclusion: Science loses ground to pseudo-science because the latter seems to offer more comfort. “A great many of these belief systems address real human needs that are not being met by our society,” Sagan wrote of certain Americans’ embrace of reincarnation, channeling, and extraterrestrials. “There are unsatisfied medical needs, spiritual needs, and needs for communion with the rest of the human community.”

    Looking back over human history, rationality has been the anomaly. Being rational takes work, education, and a sober determination to avoid making hasty inferences, even when they appear to make perfect sense. Much like infectious diseases themselves — beaten back by decades of effort to vaccinate the populace — the irrational lingers just below the surface, waiting for us to let down our guard.

    “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions.”
    “Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts."
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm angrier at that asian bitch then I've been at another human being for a while.

    What's terrible is that my mom buys into this crap. She's convinced she's rebelling against Big Pharma and that the heaping piles of evidence against homeopathy are just examples of interest group propaganda.

  • CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thread title says it all.

    MWO User Name: Gorn Arming
    StarCraft II User Name: DeadMenRise
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User
    edited December 2009
    I have had a pretty large amount of exposure to alternative medicine. In my experience practitioners vacillate between being completely insane and being . . . very helpful.

    And I'm being serious on that point. I beat probably the shittiest disease I've ever had to experience because of those people, although for this specific ailment it's worth noting that very well educated integrative medicine MD's can also treat it. But my god are they rare.

    I'm talking specifically about Candida Albicans overgrowth. A condition which really fucking sucks, isn't that rare, and is almost completely rejected by traditional medicine. On top of that I also have celiacs disease. With me, it was easy to diagnose, as I had the classic symptoms, but my mother didn't have the classic symptoms - instead she got crippling migraines every day for 30 years, until I found out I had celiacs, discovered (from homeopath sources) that migraines are tied to gluten sensitivity, and told her to go gluten free. She had been seeing migraine experts for decades, yet not a single one had brought this up. She went gluten free, and now she's migraine free and really happy for the first time in decades.

    So I suppose my point isn't that alternative medicines are right and should be encouraged, it's that traditional medicine has failed a lot of people in very major ways, and you really can't blame them when they turn to something else.

  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    I wish they still had those vaudevillian salesmen. At least then you got a show for your $2.

    Step right up, folks, and witness the magnificent medicinal miracle of Simpson & Son's patented revitalizing toniiiiiiiic!
    [breathe]
    Put some ardor in your larder with our energizing, moisturizing, tantalizing, romanticizing, surprising, her-prizing, revitalizing toniiiiiiic!

  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    I have had a pretty large amount of exposure to homeopaths. In my experience, they vacillate between being completely insane and being . . . very helpful.

    And I'm being serious on that point. I beat probably the shittiest disease I've ever had to experience because of those people, although for this specific ailment it's worth noting that very well educated integrative medicine MD's can also treat it. But my god are they rare.

    I'm talking specifically about Candida Albicans overgrowth. A condition which really fucking sucks, isn't that rare, and is almost completely rejected by traditional medicine. On top of that I also have celiacs disease. With me, it was easy to diagnose, as I had the classic symptoms, but my mother didn't have the classic symptoms - instead she got crippling migraines every day for 30 years, until I found out I had celiacs, discovered (from homeopath sources) that migraines are tied to gluten sensitivity, and told her to go gluten free. She had been seeing migraine experts for decades, yet not a single one had brought this up. She went gluten free, and now she's migraine free and really happy for the first time in decades.

    So I suppose my point is that homeopaths are right and should be encouraged, it's that traditional medicine has failed a lot of people in very major ways, and you really can't blame them when they turn to something else.

    Homeopaths, like stopped clocks, are not always wrong.

    edit: They use the same methods to arrive at "solutions." Sometimes they get a hit, but the methods were still flawed.

  • geckahngeckahn Registered User
    edited December 2009
    I had a definition lapse, so my post is edited to reflect that.

    also that lady is fucking insane.

  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In general criers are something woefully missing from modern society

    stupid impersonal television

    gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    'we got hella people, they got helicopters'
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    I have had a pretty large amount of exposure to homeopaths. In my experience, they vacillate between being completely insane and being . . . very helpful.

    And I'm being serious on that point. I beat probably the shittiest disease I've ever had to experience because of those people, although for this specific ailment it's worth noting that very well educated integrative medicine MD's can also treat it. But my god are they rare.

    I'm talking specifically about Candida Albicans overgrowth. A condition which really fucking sucks, isn't that rare, and is almost completely rejected by traditional medicine. On top of that I also have celiacs disease. With me, it was easy to diagnose, as I had the classic symptoms, but my mother didn't have the classic symptoms - instead she got crippling migraines every day for 30 years, until I found out I had celiacs, discovered (from homeopath sources) that migraines are tied to gluten sensitivity, and told her to go gluten free. She had been seeing migraine experts for decades, yet not a single one had brought this up. She went gluten free, and now she's migraine free and really happy for the first time in decades.

    So I suppose my point isn't that homeopaths are right and should be encouraged, it's that traditional medicine has failed a lot of people in very major ways, and you really can't blame them when they turn to something else.

    Homeopaths, like stopped clocks, are not always wrong.

    In reviewing definitions it's occurred to me that all my good information came from naturopaths, and homeopaths are pure crazy.

  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    I have had a pretty large amount of exposure to homeopaths. In my experience, they vacillate between being completely insane and being . . . very helpful.

    And I'm being serious on that point. I beat probably the shittiest disease I've ever had to experience because of those people, although for this specific ailment it's worth noting that very well educated integrative medicine MD's can also treat it. But my god are they rare.

    I'm talking specifically about Candida Albicans overgrowth. A condition which really fucking sucks, isn't that rare, and is almost completely rejected by traditional medicine. On top of that I also have celiacs disease. With me, it was easy to diagnose, as I had the classic symptoms, but my mother didn't have the classic symptoms - instead she got crippling migraines every day for 30 years, until I found out I had celiacs, discovered (from homeopath sources) that migraines are tied to gluten sensitivity, and told her to go gluten free. She had been seeing migraine experts for decades, yet not a single one had brought this up. She went gluten free, and now she's migraine free and really happy for the first time in decades.

    So I suppose my point is that homeopaths are right and should be encouraged, it's that traditional medicine has failed a lot of people in very major ways, and you really can't blame them when they turn to something else.

    Homeopaths, like stopped clocks, are not always wrong.

    In reviewing definitions it's occurred to me that all my good information came from naturopaths, and homeopaths are pure crazy.

    It looks like I was talking about naturopaths too. :rotate:

  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    At 3:30 in the video I realized that if I were to watch any further my brain would just turn off and then I would be dead.

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    DoseOscillococcinum.jpg

    Well if that's a single dose it's gotta do something m i rite

  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "Mass is really small, so why not just go ahead and cross out that troublesome lil' M in E=Mc^2. Yeah, just cross it right out!"

    rodq.jpg
  • wazillawazilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why is she raping Einstein in his dead zombie face?

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    Why am I on track to become an engineer/doctor? Why am I going to be 200k in debt so I can create marvels of medical science? Why aren't I in this fucking business? Oh right, I have self respect.

    What I find truly fucking fascinating are homeopaths who are also medical doctors.
    Is it a cynical way to boost income? Or is it actually possible that people who went to medical school (and passed) think this is viable science?
    case in point- an M.D/Homeopath tries to debate Richard Dawkins about it-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYqQ_n2vOOI

    More required viewing for homepathy lulz

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSKxz1BNU6s&feature=fvw

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Don't treat me like potato. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Some naturopath cures are fine based on a mixture of sticking with what works and the broken clock principle. The only thing any homeopathic remedy has ever cured is mild dehydration.

    Geckahn, your last paragraph seems to be missing an "'nt".

    china_sig.jpg
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Some naturopath cures are fine based on a mixture of sticking with what works and the broken clock principle. The only thing any homeopathic remedy has ever cured is mild dehydration.

    Geckahn, your last paragraph seems to be missing an "'nt".

    I think what people like about homeopaths is they show an interest in irrelevant details of their life, and talk them through that kind of stuff. In a sense they're like unlicensed psychotherapists.
    Come to think of it, that's actually scary. If homeopaths will talk to you for an hour about some inconsequential mild illness, imagine what happens when they start treating patients for depression.

    And yes, homeopathic sugar pills exist for depression. Those people sure aren't paying for the pills.

  • legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On the same kind of vibe is that "Total biology" thing.
    Disease is actually a psychological conflict that needs to be resolved..and modern medecine makes it worst.
    See also http://totalbiology.ca/

    Yes indeed..

  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    So I suppose my point is that alternative medicines are right and should be encouraged

    I think you need to edit your post again.
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    My favorite part of the article is this:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The K indicates that it is prepared by the Korsakovian method, in which rather than 1% of the preparation being measured out at each stage and then diluted, a single vessel is repeatedly emptied, refilled, and vigorously shaken (in homeopathic terminology "succussed"), and it is assumed that 1% remains in the vessel each time.

    They're not even diluting it! Ha ha ha!

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This sort of nonsense seems more prevalent in the US, where pharmaceuticals and the health care industry in general has a bad reputation.

  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    "Mass is really small, so why not just go ahead and cross out that troublesome lil' M in E=Mc^2. Yeah, just cross it right out!"

    Because, as we all know from 3rd grade, if we were to assume mass was infinitesimally small (i.e. zero) that would make E really, really big. Right? Right?

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    So I suppose my point is that alternative medicines are right and should be encouraged

    I think you need to edit your post again.
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    My favorite part of the article is this:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The K indicates that it is prepared by the Korsakovian method, in which rather than 1% of the preparation being measured out at each stage and then diluted, a single vessel is repeatedly emptied, refilled, and vigorously shaken (in homeopathic terminology "succussed"), and it is assumed that 1% remains in the vessel each time.

    They're not even diluting it! Ha ha ha!

    An honest question- when something is diluted, does the homeopath actually fill up and pour out a beaker over and over and over?
    I mean surely they realize...that they could just fill it with water...once...

  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I assume they actually do it, because it's easier to lie that way.

    This is really tempting me. "Homeopath", "Psychotherapist", "Nutritionist"... all these unprotected terms just waiting for me to abuse them.

  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    So I suppose my point is that alternative medicines are right and should be encouraged

    I think you need to edit your post again.
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillococcinum

    People pay over $2/pill of this crap. There'll always be a way to make money off the stupid or uninformed.

    My favorite part of the article is this:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The K indicates that it is prepared by the Korsakovian method, in which rather than 1% of the preparation being measured out at each stage and then diluted, a single vessel is repeatedly emptied, refilled, and vigorously shaken (in homeopathic terminology "succussed"), and it is assumed that 1% remains in the vessel each time.

    They're not even diluting it! Ha ha ha!

    An honest question- when something is diluted, does the homeopath actually fill up and pour out a beaker over and over and over?
    I mean surely they realize...that they could just fill it with water...once...

    I was wondering the same thing. Of course, just filling the beaker with water would be a solution 10^ridiculous times too concentrated of various wonderful things. I don't doubt at all that, at the concentrations we're talking about, you could survey public water systems around the world and find perfectly potable and drinkable solutions of most of the stable elements in the periodic table, barring those that would instead float into the atmosphere.

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I suppose that's the funniest part, that you can convince someone you spent hours shaking and emptying cups of water to make this elixir (properties- restores full HP and partially restores Mana) for them

  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    "Mass is really small, so why not just go ahead and cross out that troublesome lil' M in E=Mc^2. Yeah, just cross it right out!"

    Because, as we all know from 3rd grade, if we were to assume mass was infinitesimally small (i.e. zero) that would make E really, really big. Right? Right?

    Nah, man, that's like not how that works at all. First you Slow light down to 38 miles per hour. THEN you use it in the equation with the same mass and BOOM the mass shoots way up, man. It's like Free matter. Einstein was onto this when he was murdered so that the secret wouldn't get out.

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does a Homeopath take one hit of a joint and ten hits of a cigarette to get more high?

    Is a Homeopath's Call of Duty strategy to shoot once with a rifle then immediately switch to pistol and fire ten shots?

  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My favorite part is the adding of something vaguely related to string theory.


    "So E = M, and we just take the M our, times light.... plus vibration..... you see? We're all just beings of energy!"

  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    My favorite part is the adding of something vaguely related to string theory.


    "So E = M, and we just take the M our, times light.... plus vibration..... you see? We're all just beings of energy!"

    I once watched a presentation by an insane upenn professor, a blatant homeopathy supporter who tried to establish that because of...something about variable structure and a bunch of jargon about molecules and water "isn't just water anymore"

    This was in a debate where opposing profs had easy to follow, clear and concise presentations.

  • JoolanderJoolander It's like Christmas But with more ... ME!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    you know i probably shouldnt admit this

    but every time i hear "homeopathy", for some reason my mind equates it to "osteopathy" just long enough for me to go "wait, why do people hate this?"


    the worst part?
    Spoiler:

    1JM7Sqi.jpg
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    "Mass is really small, so why not just go ahead and cross out that troublesome lil' M in E=Mc^2. Yeah, just cross it right out!"
    Yeah, I was having an aneurysm the entire time she was talking about physics. She started talking about string theory too, and it really didn't tie into what she was discussing at all. Einstein would probably succumb to the urge to beat that woman if they ever met.

  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah that was pretty terrifying. The worst part of it is that it probably sounds exactly the same to most people as a regular scientist explaining actual science. I can see through the lies almost instantaneously, but in 60-80 years or whatever when I'm dying from something that doesn't exist yet and my brain's all Alzheimer's-y I might not be so lucky.

    Sig1.png
«13456712
Sign In or Register to comment.