Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Modern Warfare 2: Confused by the story? Right this way. (NSF56K)

PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters...Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
Wikipedia Link for plot details.

If there's still anything that you're not sure about, a military wizard did it.

PA Modern Warfare News Bulletin

Twitter update:
@fourzerotwo#MW2 Update in Test now: 1887s Balanced. Public "private" Match fix. Infinite Ammo fix. Prestige Hack on PS3 fix. Texture Hack on PC fix.

BREAKING NEWS: According to fellow PA folk who play on the PS3, 1887s are indeed balanced. Soon dogs everywhere will be able to breath (pant?) a sigh of relief.

MODERNWARFARETITLE.png

Hello and welcome to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 thread! While posting here and playing with other people remember:

a) Have fun.
b) Don’t be a dick, even if doing so accomplishes a) for you.

Ground Rules

I've PM'd Echo about these, since I don't want to come off sounding like I think I have Mod-like powers, but I'll post them in this spoiler and let you guys decide whether they sound reasonable.
Spoiler:

Work-around to lack of Party Chat by Sivraj:
Spoiler:

Multiplayer Facts
Spoiler:

Weapon Chart:
Spoiler:

More Fun Facts!
Spoiler:

Awesome video time! I know I've missed some, but they can always be added later.

What about weapons, perks, etc?

Weapons/equipment list plus unlock levels courtesy of Mechanical.
Spoiler:

Sweet map pictures! Images found on this dude's photobucket account.
Spoiler:

Callsign & Emblem unlocks:

Wikia link. (Note that being a wiki means this likely isn't 100% accurate).

Perk list also courtesy of Mechanical (and completed with help from Kris_xK):
Spoiler:

Kill/Deathstreak list:
Spoiler:

I want to play with people on this forum!

(X360) Friends List for that console which overheats a lot:

We've got a CoD Clan Meta-Tag run by Burtletoy: A PA CoD Clan

A PA CoD Clan is now full! Hit me up on PA MW2
From here, you can view other people on the tag and invite them to your game. I may do the same if the group I join needs more people, but sometimes I just want to pub-stomp, so don't be offended if I ignore you. Also, send the invite to the clan tag. Everybody sending one invite is far more convenient then me sending every invite.

There's also PA CoD4, which is an older account with a lot of names on it, I think it was being run by I King Kong I. It probably isn't being maintained anymore, FYI.

(PS3) Friends List for that console which people seem to laugh out loud about for some reason:
Spoiler:
(PC) Friends List for that console which actually isn’t a console and uses some sort of program called ‘Storm’, or whatever.
Spoiler:

You can Alt-Tab at any time (Even in game) by pressing Alt + Escape

We also have a Steam group! Contact Fleck0 through Steam if you want an invite or if you have any other questions.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pamw2

And finally, a funny:

725404532_HhdVE-L.jpg

PaperLuigi44 on

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 I believe they disproved that on Mythbusters... Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, I will be away due to personal reasons for several days, which means the OP and the meta-tag won't be updated until I get back, sorry. But when I do get back, I'll make sure everything's up to scratch.

• chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I no-scope headshotted a dog rapist last night with my M21. It was glorious.

XBL : lJesse Custerl | PSN : lJesseCusterl | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Bloat much? Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why is it that if you're playing with the same group of people over six games they don't learn that killstreak rewards are going to get shot down before they get a single kill?

This is a rhetorical question. I love getting 500 bonus points just from Stinger missiles.

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you have just Predators equipped, and get 10 kills, you get 2 predators? in other words you can save up a few?

• NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    If you have just Predators equipped, and get 10 kills, you get 2 predators? in other words you can save up a few?

you mean like the killstreaks recycling? no

if you kill 3 guys, save your UAV, then kill three more guys, you won't get a second UAV even if all you have selected is UAV.

however, if you kill 3 guys, save your UAV, die, then kill 3 guys, i think you do get multiple UAV's.

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I dunno, I guess I was really immersed.

The burb sections were fucking great. Almost make the single player worth it. Gulag and the oil rig weren't bad either.

QlBGc.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    however, if you kill 3 guys, save your UAV, die, then kill 3 guys, i think you do get multiple UAV's.

it's wonderful how everything stacks killstreak wise. All of a sudden there are three sentry guns covering every angle of B!

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why are there so many screaming idiots? Why did you turn my pc into a 360?? why IW?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »

it's wonderful how everything stacks killstreak wise. All of a sudden there are three sentry guns covering every angle of B!

Is there any way to rotate what the "active" killstreak is?

"Well, look at this. Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What's that make us?"
    "Big Damn Heroes, Sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

Is there any way to rotate what the "active" killstreak is?
    Nope.

edited December 2009
    i hate having to call in a harrier strike with no UAV to tell me where they are

i have a UAV, of course, but it's buried underneath a predator strike and, of course, a harrier

• SquabmanSquabman Registered User
    edited December 2009
    So today I think I have one goal. I want to get a precision airstrike, a harrier airstrike and a stealth bomber. Then I want to die without using any of them, and then get another precision airstrike, harrier airstrike and a stealth bomber, and just rain down fire for like 2 minutes straight on the opposite team.

lagbagg.png
  • PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Isn't there a challenge for that?

Quashdom.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I went prestige again, such a whore.

It's just more fun to have a bunch of challenges each game then say "get 250 headshots" which takes forever.

Also apparently the prestige challenges you unlock the first time carry over, so that's really awesome. (the ones that give you the gold titles and the gun emblems)

sic2sig.jpg
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eureka! I'm finally settling on a general build. I call it "The Egregious Asshole"

Silenced FAMAS
    AA-12/Striker with grip
    Claymores
    Flashbangs.

Scavenger Pro
    Stopping Power Pro
    Ninja Pro
    Spoiler:

Also, I tried the dog rapist build last night by picking up akimbo 1887s off another offender, and ouch. That build is well and truly fucked up. I'm surprised I died at all, seeing as shit died if I even farted in their general direction.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WaW had an option to back out with your entire party. Does MW2 have such an option, or is my friend with the insanely fast connection that always insists on being party leader just a dumbass for making us back out the old fashioned way (eg. wait for him to back out then we all back out into the party waiting for us in the lobby).

If MW2 does not have such an option, uh, why the fuck not?

• MadpandaMadpanda Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's a mystery to us all that i hope gets solved in a patch soon. About the same time we get unicorn airstrikes.

Also someone kept trying to party with me from PA last night, at all the worst times, usually the last game I planned on playing for a bit. Thanks for the invites though which I will accept in the future.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Ghostbuster Hook & Ladder 8Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My FAMAS apparently comes equipped with brain homing bullets. I've gotten more headshots with that gun than any other, and I never once aim for the head.

3a6d8230-e44a-450d-989b-b8c17c4043da_zpsf1979ceb.jpg
    (3DS Friend Code) 5472-6198-4568 (PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i started running scavenger with c4 last night on domination and its pretty awesome. just need to get used to the ironsights on the acr a little more i guess, until i get through the fmj challenge anyway.

sig_zpsceb29fbe.jpg
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Headshots can be fucked up. I have shot people in the knees, seen the blood spurt out of their head, and get headshot credit. I have also been a victim of it several times. Its either lag or some kind of hit-detection fuck up.

Dram wrote: »
    Still, it took a massive amount of trial and error before I realised that hookers were the solution to all my problems.
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Captain East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The FAMAS rises pretty much straight up, as oppose to other weapons which rise to the left/right a bit. I've gotten a ton with it as well.

• PunkBoyPunkBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Good games last night, everyone. I think we lost like...once? Twice? In any case, we kicked ass.

Steam ID:
    Spoiler:
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Headshots can be fucked up. I have shot people in the knees, seen the blood spurt out of their head, and get headshot credit. I have also been a victim of it several times. Its either lag or some kind of hit-detection fuck up.

I think they made the game a lot more generous with headshots, basically. I'm getting them way more often than I did in COD4, and I'm not going to pretend that I've gotten 50% more accurate.

steam_sig.png
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    With good teamwork, my capping build is great.

Riot Shield
    Shotgun of choice
    Smoke grenade
    Blast Shield
    Marathon Pro
    Cold-Blooded Pro
    Scrambler Pro

They usually concentrate fire on you, giving your teammates time to shoot them down, and you're pretty much good against a single well-placed grenade. Too bad you're not very good offensive-wise, but that's why this only works with good teammates, which isn't easy to accomplish.

Nevertheless; I got good results today on Rundown, I was able to hold B (The one in the bridge) against 4 attackers, with some of my teammates behind me, and then they'd go away, and I'd still be able to hold it on my own.

steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    i was trying to help this sheilder on domination on underpass, but he moved too fast and wouldn't communicate with me so i got shot behind him while using him as cover as he moved away

• RedcatRedcat Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    With good teamwork, my capping build is great.

Riot Shield
    Shotgun of choice
    Smoke grenade
    Blast Shield
    Marathon Pro
    Cold-Blooded Pro
    Scrambler Pro

They usually concentrate fire on you, giving your teammates time to shoot them down, and you're pretty much good against a single well-placed grenade. Too bad you're not very good offensive-wise, but that's why this only works with good teammates, which isn't easy to accomplish.

Nevertheless; I got good results today on Rundown, I was able to hold B (The one in the bridge) against 4 attackers, with some of my teammates behind me, and then they'd go away, and I'd still be able to hold it on my own.

If you want to improve your offense, swap the shotgun for a M93 Raffica, and maybe CB for Stopping Power. The Raffica is a pocket FAMAS and will increase your killing reach tremendously.

(I'm a shield whore as well.)

360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Consider dropping Scrambler for Last Stand if you go with the M93s.

3DS: 2809-9292-5994
  • TheBenjomonsterTheBenjomonster Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does the ACR just shoot right through the riot shield? Seems like at any distance, that gun can still penetrate. I haven't seen any other guns like that; LMG/shotgun at close range do the same thing, but that is understandable. ACR isn't even the most powerful assault rifle, let alone gun. Doesn't make any sense that a guy with an ACR can kill me through my shield from 50yds, while his buddy with a .50 cal sniper rifle or 7.62mm machine gun cannot.

• SladvanSladvan Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Does the ACR just shoot right through the riot shield? Seems like at any distance, that gun can still penetrate. I haven't seen any other guns like that; LMG/shotgun at close range do the same thing, but that is understandable. ACR isn't even the most powerful assault rifle, let alone gun. Doesn't make any sense that a guy with an ACR can kill me through my shield from 50yds, while his buddy with a .50 cal sniper rifle or 7.62mm machine gun cannot.

They're just shooting your big ol' booty which sticks out from behind the shield unless you are lined up to them perfectly. It just seems to happen more with the ACR since it is laser accurate.

ken2.png
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Sladvan wrote: »

They're just shooting your big ol' booty which sticks out from behind the shield unless you are lined up to them perfectly. It just seems to happen more with the ACR since it is laser accurate.

Yeah, I watched a killcam where some guy with a thermal sight grazed a bullet through my left ass cheek and killed me. In order to be invincible to bullets, you have to be facing directly at the shooter, crouched, and not moving.

-SPI- wrote: »
    Not enough facepalm in the world for the cavalcade of fuckmuppetry this game's launch has been.
    edited December 2009
    Oh God, I just unlocked the AUG LMG. I'm getting constant 10+ killstreaks with this, it's just as accurate as an assault rifle.

steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why do I play every morning when every morning session ends the same way?

I always quit angry over all the noobtubes and 1887s. It seems like all the assholes come out their dank little dens to haunt IWNet at 10am and retreat before the darkness comes.

wAgWt.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I'm becoming ever more sure that there are people exploiting how to make other people lag, because these matches are just one sided, and whenever you mention the terrible lag, they start to call you out, even though everyone else is complaining.

steam_sig.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just fucked over my KDR so bad,the last few matches were absolutely abysmal for me. For some reason I completely lost my ability to kill ANYTHING.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    I just fucked over my KDR so bad,the last few matches were absolutely abysmal for me. For some reason I completely lost my ability to kill ANYTHING.

Finally hit the 1944 of your MW2 career, then?

wAgWt.jpg
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh God, I just unlocked the AUG LMG. I'm getting constant 10+ killstreaks with this, it's just as accurate as an assault rifle.

It can double as an unscoped sniper rifle. No movement. Hits like a tank. I like it.

3DS: 2809-9292-5994
  • ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's difficult, but I force myself to just stop caring about my K/D ratio, as it makes the game a lot less fun.

I do love domination, because we can be winning and I can feel like I'm doing well, without even caring that my K/D is just hovering around or below 1.00.

Also, I am ashamed to admit this, but I get a serious urge to teabag when I run straight at a riot shield guy, step to the side, and knife him. Is this bad? I accidentally my Halo 3 etiquette.

edited December 2009
    Okay, late mornings, like after 11am are better.

I just went 44/3 in domination on Wasteland with an Intervention and my USP with tac knife. Too bad my team was literally pants on head retarded.

wAgWt.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

Finally hit the 1944 of your MW2 career, then?

I had a pretty good KDR on that beach level, but afterwards it just got worse and worse.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

It can double as an unscoped sniper rifle. No movement. Hits like a tank. I like it.

It's a nice gun, for sure. I have yet to unlock more attachments. But I'm enjoying the famas too.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.