As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MLB] Greatest Owner of All Time Dead at 80; Greatest Stadium Announcer at 99.

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yankees trade for vazquez

what a horrible deal for the braves, i can't possibly imagine that they couldn't have done better

teams shouldn't be allowed to complain about the yankees payroll if they're just going to give them their players for next to nothing

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2009
    yeah, the braves could have had a lot more for vasquez

Unknown User on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yankee$* payroll now over $200 million...

for 16 signed players..

jwalk on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    matt capps is apparently going to sign with the nats or the cubs tomorrow night

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    simo wrote: »

what a horrible deal for the braves, i can't possibly imagine that they couldn't have done better

teams shouldn't be allowed to complain about the yankees payroll if they're just going to give them their players for next to nothing

Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Why the Hell would they simply give Vasquez away like that?

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FortyTwo wrote: »

Seriously, this is just ridiculous. Why the Hell would they simply give Vasquez away like that?

The sun never sets on the Yankee Empire

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2009
    everyone in the braves organization is getting fleece blankets for christmas

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Everyone in the Braves organization is getting a little Yankee flag for Christmas

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The sun never sets on the Yankee Empire

In all fairness, this is not as good as I first thought

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vazquja01.shtml

Vazquez ERA over the last six years
    09 - 2.87 ATL
    4.67 CHW
    4.42 ARI
    4.91 NY Y

outside of last year Vazquez has been a crushingly average to below-average pitcher and the NL East is A LOT easier to pitch in than the AL East.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Vasquez was a monster for fantasy points last year thanks to strikeouts. He helped me make it to the finals.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    he's our number 4 starter

He can be as crushingly average as he wants

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Even still, Vazquez'...WAR has placed him in the top 15-20 range in all of baseball in the three years before last year, where he was 7th, which equates to at worst a #2 starter. I don't mind using WAR as much for pitchers because it doesn't over inflate defensive metrics like I believe hitter WAR still does.

But apparently the key for the Braves was 19 year old Arodys Vizciano who tore up A-ball last year. But even if he pans out it still wasn't really a move for this year, even though some people over there are trying to spin it like the upgrade to Cabrera over what they had was about equal to the downgrade from Vazquez to whatever pitcher the Braves are going to plug in, but I don't quite believe it.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    What the hell is WAR

jwalk on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They made the song Low Rider

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    What the hell is WAR

Welcome to the present, jwalk.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Next you're going to be asking about value over replacement players and how to determine comparables.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    vasquez is exactly what the yankees needed

an above average pitcher (average at worst if you think he'll regress to his al numbers) who will give you 200 innings

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    vasquez is exactly what the yankees needed

an above average pitcher (average at worst if you think he'll regress to his al numbers) who will give you 200 innings

But what happens if Vasquez starts putting up 4.6+ ERA in the AL East? How much longer are the Yankees going to wait for Joba's balls to descend?

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    the thing is, they can live with a 4.6 era if they're getting 200+ innings (which he's done for 10 straight years)

all they need out of that spot in the rotation is dependability. at worst, vasquez gives them that. at best, he's a top 10 pitcher in the al. either way i think it's a steal (this is a testament to how mediocre melky is more than anything)

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    the thing is, they can live with a 4.6 era if they're getting 200+ innings (which he's done for 10 straight years)

all they need out of that spot in the rotation is dependability. at worst, vasquez gives them that. at best, he's a top 10 pitcher in the al. either way i think it's a steal (this is a testament to how mediocre melky is more than anything)

Which furthers my point that the NY Y minor league system is horrendously over-rated and hasn't produced anything other than middling talent since 1995. I'll give them Cano, but eventually that is going to bite them in the ass.

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Which furthers my point that the NY Y minor league system is horrendously over-rated and hasn't produced anything other than middling talent since 1995. I'll give them Cano, but eventually that is going to bite them in the ass.

Two Hundred Million Dollars

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That's a nice minor league system.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm quite enjoying MLB2k9

Too bad I cleaned out the nats budget by signing "Bongs McKenzie" to a three year deal at 9.25 mil a year

He DOES have 12 home runs in six games though

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    More and more I realize that I could have an ape run the Yankees as GM

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I absolutely love Jack Zurednik.

He is great.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Glad to see the Mariners are relevant again

Don't tell Thanatos

He thinks Baseball is a myth

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IT'S REAL I TELLS YA!

2010 is going to rule.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really hope the AL West is more competitive next year, I'd love to see the Mariners or the Rangers make the playoffs again.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Rangers?

Ptooi!

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just feel bad for them!

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have no idea what to say to that.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I need help. Can we agree on "fuck the Angels?"

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just wanted to pop in to say fuck the damn yankees.

pillow on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm gonna have to root for the Rangers out of the AL now that Nolan Ryan owns the team.

Schide on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    I think I'm at the point where I don't want AL teams to succeed unless they do so at the expense of the yankees, red sox or white sox

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think I'm at the point where I don't want AL teams to succeed unless they do so at the expense of the yankees, red sox or white sox

Quiet Cubbie now trade Zombrano to me

British%20Empire%20the%20sun%20never%20sets%20on%20the%20British%20Empire.gif

I kinda want to do something like that with the Yankees

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Seriously I just started a Yankees Franchise in MLB2k9 and I almost cried how easy it was to win games

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I should get The Bigs 2 over the summer if it's about $30

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm quite enjoying MLB2k9

Too bad I cleaned out the nats budget by signing "Bongs McKenzie" to a three year deal at 9.25 mil a year

He DOES have 12 home runs in six games though

Bahaha.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
This discussion has been closed.