As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Electrical Appliances in England

APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So the company that make the Rock Band Stage Kit just sent me one along with the rest of their product portfolio to review. It's got a US plug and while I don't have to return it I'd quite like to not explode it so I'm trying to figure out how to best connect it up in the UK. I'd also quite like to put it in the Rock Band room at the new year party... it's a useful freebie.

In the UK our plug sockets run at 240v (I think?) while US ones are 120v. So just plugging it in will make it blow. I know I need a step-down converter, but I don't know if I need a powerful one - they range from like £20 right up to £60 or so with varying qualities. I'm not sure what I need.

For the record, the back of the stage kit states:
Fuse: F5A 125V
Power In: AC120V/60HZ
3.75A

Obviously you can see what kind of item it is and how big it is above. What kind of step down do I need? The guy in an electric store reckoned (based off my description) I'd need a super powerful 300 or 400w one, but he seemed a bit of a gorm to be honest, so I figured someone here would have some electrical knowledge.

Thanks in advance.. hope someone knows!

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
APZonerunner on

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    any voltage converter capable of producing 500 watts of 120volt 60hz power should be enough to power you device. A local electronics shop can probably help you find a cost effective quality brand.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yep, you need something rated to 500W or higher unfortunately - wattage is worked out by multiplying Voltage x Current rating - in your case 120V x 3.75A = 450W

Spam on