As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cell phonery

freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I am a Cingular subscriber in search of a cell phone. I don't want to spend more than $200, and I am thinking of getting one from ebay, rather than cingular.

Also use this thread for cell phone related complaints, desires, and braggadocio.

EDIT: oh yeah, and I like RAZRs, but I'm thinking of maybe getting a Samsung D807.

happysig.png
freshmasterfresh on

• ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    EDIT: oh yeah, and I like RAZRs, but I'm thinking of maybe getting a Samsung D807.

Everyone else I know with a razr hates it for it's crappy battery life and it's size. Sure it's thin, but it's quite wide. Though...I don't own one, but I think I'd get annoyed if I had to plug my phone in every night. :?

Arminas on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a SLVR which is basically a non-flip RAZR and I can tell you the battery life is beyond horrible. The buttons lack feeling and can be really annoying at times. OTher than that, it's a pretty good phone I guess.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sony Ericsson makes the best phones you can buy, so buy the best Sony you can.

deadonthestreet on
    edited January 2007
    Oh, right, I also hate Motorola's interface. I have a tendency to push buttons faster than it responds... so then I end up somewhere other than where I wanted to be on my phone. I've always enjoyed Nokia's interface and their phones...until mine died.

Arminas on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I eagerly await Macworld next week when, I hope, the iPhone will be announced. I want nothing more than the fantastic iPod interface on a phone.

I am sorry if this stirs up a ruckus.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Arminas wrote:

Everyone else I know with a razr hates it for it's crappy battery life and it's size. Sure it's thin, but it's quite wide. Though...I don't own one, but I think I'd get annoyed if I had to plug my phone in every night. :?
    Say what?
    My Razr is fine. The battery life is also fine.

However, I now have one of these:
    MotorolaMOTOKRZRK1.jpg
    Motorola K1 Razr. It's damn nice.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2007
    count yourself lucky then...I just hear incessant bitching about the RAZR :P

Arminas on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love my RAZR.

DekuStick on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hello, I work as a data support rep for Cingualr.

Don't get a SLVR or a RAZR. If you want a good Moto phone, get the V557. It is a solid phone with good features and staying power. You can get a "almost new" V557 for 50 to 60 bucks.

If you want a newer phone, look around for a LG CU200 or CU500. You can find one for around $100 to $200 respectively.

That_Guy on
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been eying myself an LG Chocolate.

lg-chocolate.jpg

The_Dciple on
    edited January 2007
    What are those Blackberrys like?
    blackberry.jpg

I've always liked the look of them, but they seem like a bit of a novelty/gimmick.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Arminas wrote:

I haven't really had any sort of a battery problem with my RAZR, however 1) I do not leave my phone on 24/7, and 2)I'm not on calls for hours a day. So I suppose your mileage may vary.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    blackberry.jpg

I've always liked the look of them, but they seem like a bit of a novelty/gimmick.

My pastor swears by them, but considering how often he was on the road, visiting hospitals and people and other clergy... he needed to have his address book and calendar with him at all times.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was plenty happy with my RAZR, until I lost it. Luckily I was able to backup my phonebook to my powerbook before that happened, though I'm not afraid of transferring all the numbers by hand. I was somewhat impressed by the Samsung D807 while using a friend's, and I wonder if this D820 would keep me happy.

Also, pretty much all of the ebay sellers look shifty. It bothers me, but the Cingular branded phones are a lot more expensive.

How much better are unlocked phones, anyways?

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
    edited January 2007
    I was plenty happy with my RAZR, until I lost it. Luckily I was able to backup my phonebook to my powerbook before that happened, though I'm not afraid of transferring all the numbers by hand. I was somewhat impressed by the Samsung D807 while using a friend's, and I wonder if this D820 would keep me happy.

Also, pretty much all of the ebay sellers look shifty. It bothers me, but the Cingular branded phones are a lot more expensive.

How much better are unlocked phones, anyways?
    Unlocked just means they aren't locked to any plan or any certain service providers.
    You can get unlock codes off the intertronz. It's nothing special.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Motorolas ain't that great. Every other brand does everything they do, except much, much better.

The best phone currently offered by Cingular is the Sony Ericsson w810i. The SE interface is the best I've ever used, the camera is much better than anything you'd expect on a cell phone, the Walkman music player is neat to have if you're into that sort of thing; expand it to 4GB of memory for $99 at Newegg. It has great battery life (something the newer 3G phones lack) and I don't ever see it returned for reception issues. If you don't need a 3G phone, and don't need a smartphone/PDA, get the w810i. Everyone I work with is an Ericsson convert now, they really are the best phones Cingular has. They've come so very, very far in just a year and a half, from the days of the craptastic z500, t610/616, and everything before. Starting with the s710a SE has made some of Cingular's best phones.

If you're interested in a Blackberry the new Blackberry Pearl is much more accessible for non-business users, although the trackball is vastly inferior to the scroll wheel on the old ones. Still, it adds a camera and music player and slims down the phone (we call the older ones Brickberries when discussing the size) and has the nifty Suretype keypad and software that makes using it easy. The 7130c is, in my opinion, a little bit nicer for Blackberrying purposes (email and such), but at the expense of size, camera, and music playing capability.

Other phones out with good track records are the LG CU500 (if you need a 3G phone, this is your best bet) and the Cingular 3125 for a Windows Mobile smartphone. The 8525 is a pretty badass PDA, but its predecessor had a really high rate of return at our store for just being clunky to use. Anyone with an above-average level of technical competence shouldn't have trouble with it.

If you're going for an unlocked GSM phone, make sure it supports the GSM 850 frequency, without it your Cingular coverage will be abysmal in most areas. Again with SE, the Ericsson k790a is fantastic, with a 3.2MP camera. Nokia makes some slick N-series phones, the N80 I think has a 4GB hard drive for music.

Really though if you're looking for performance in a phone anything in Cingular's line-up will do you right, the only real reason to get an unlocked GSM phone from Europe or Asia is to get a really fancy-looking one.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sorry to sort of hijack this a bit, but does anyone know a good model that works with sprint?

ronzo on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a some simple little Samsung phone.

But hey, it makes phone calls, and that is all I need it to do.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    blackberry.jpg

We get given a lot of devices to test at work, and everyone always comes back to the blackberry. The 7280 (in your picture) was a fine, fine device back in the days of AT&T Wireless, but the 8700 is the big boy on the block, with the Pearl going more for the consumer side. You can find a 7130 or 8700 for about $150 to $200. A 7290, which is still a damn fine device will go for around $50. I quote "ebay/craigslist" prices.

That_Guy on
    edited January 2007
    Avris wrote:
    Sorry to sort of hijack this a bit, but does anyone know a good model that works with sprint?

Anything Sanyo

That_Guy on
    edited January 2007
    Motorolas ain't that great. Every other brand does everything they do, except much, much better.

The best phone currently offered by Cingular is the Sony Ericsson w810i. The SE interface is the best I've ever used, the camera is much better than anything you'd expect on a cell phone, the Walkman music player is neat to have if you're into that sort of thing; expand it to 4GB of memory for $99 at Newegg. It has great battery life (something the newer 3G phones lack) and I don't ever see it returned for reception issues. If you don't need a 3G phone, and don't need a smartphone/PDA, get the w810i. Everyone I work with is an Ericsson convert now, they really are the best phones Cingular has. They've come so very, very far in just a year and a half, from the days of the craptastic z500, t610/616, and everything before. Starting with the s710a SE has made some of Cingular's best phones.

If you're interested in a Blackberry the new Blackberry Pearl is much more accessible for non-business users, although the trackball is vastly inferior to the scroll wheel on the old ones. Still, it adds a camera and music player and slims down the phone (we call the older ones Brickberries when discussing the size) and has the nifty Suretype keypad and software that makes using it easy. The 7130c is, in my opinion, a little bit nicer for Blackberrying purposes (email and such), but at the expense of size, camera, and music playing capability.

Other phones out with good track records are the LG CU500 (if you need a 3G phone, this is your best bet) and the Cingular 3125 for a Windows Mobile smartphone. The 8525 is a pretty badass PDA, but its predecessor had a really high rate of return at our store for just being clunky to use. Anyone with an above-average level of technical competence shouldn't have trouble with it.

If you're going for an unlocked GSM phone, make sure it supports the GSM 850 frequency, without it your Cingular coverage will be abysmal in most areas. Again with SE, the Ericsson k790a is fantastic, with a 3.2MP camera. Nokia makes some slick N-series phones, the N80 I think has a 4GB hard drive for music.

Really though if you're looking for performance in a phone anything in Cingular's line-up will do you right, the only real reason to get an unlocked GSM phone from Europe or Asia is to get a really fancy-looking one.

Honestly I don't like the W810i. I suppose it is more personal preferance, but I dislike how it manages drivers on a PC and the interface felt a little clunky to me. I am more of a v557 person. It has all the basic features (cam, bluetooth, good speaker, rugged design) and EDGE for the data.

3g phones, LG CU200/500

Data phones, 8700 or the Pearl. I am testing the Pearl right now and so far it is not too bad for the "Pro-sumer" side. 8700 kicks ass for a "QWERTY" device. 8525 is rather fun as well. Fuck the 3125 and fuck anyone who likes the "Smartphone" OS. Also fuck the Blackjack.

A comment on "unlocked" phones. 90% of the Cingular network right now is 1900mhz. TDMA was mostly 850, but it is really only used in "Fringe" areas these days. Also, I am a Nokia whore when it comes to "Euro" phones.

That_Guy on
    edited January 2007
    That_Guy wrote:
    Avris wrote:

Anything Sanyo

Truth, when I sold Sprint it was the only brand I felt confident in. Whatever their 8000 series is at should be great, I loved the 8200 way back when. The 7000 series was good too, dunno if they still have it. The 7400 was a phenomenal phone. Their Samsungs aren't bad, but I've never liked the Samsung UI. It's only marginally better than the Motorola UI.

A general rule of thumb with cell phones: if the outright price at the store is under $199, don't expect much. With a few exceptions, the "el cheapo" phone bracket is prone to fail right around the point that the carrier will let you renew your contract. They tend to give them away free with a renewal; these phones exist purely to keep people under contract, generating revenue. Nokias make solid phones in the cheap price range, but probably 75% of phones you can get for under $199 outright are not worth buying. Subsidies on cheap phones are low, usually under $80, and phone salesmen love to sell them for this reason. Plus it's an easy sale.

When you get into more expensive phones the carriers use them to leverage feature and accessory sales. They attract more loyal customers with a higher ARPU (average rate per user) and are lower churn risks, so it's actually better for the carrier if the phone you spend $300 on lasts 2 years or more. The carrier subsidy on expensive phones is usually higher because the manufacturer positions them as a "Brand recognition" thing. Cingular was subsidizing $150 or more on RAZRs way back when they cost $300+, but they were drawing in customers as a Cingular exclusive phone. PDAs in particular have huge subsidies, but they pretty much require high-priced data plans to use, so it evens out for the carrier.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have the k800i. The only criticisms I have is that occasionally I'll push the camera cover down and chew up all the battery, if I don't do that it's good for three to four days. The other thing that bothers me though is that you can't manually put on the flash so unless you are in really good light or really bad light you can't have well lighted photos.

Plus James Bond uses my phone. James Bond.

Blake T on
  • mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just picked up the new blackjack smartphone about a month ago and I love it..having full web access anywhere you go is very nice. even more so if you live in a 3g area because you'll get broadband speed. it really makes work go by quicker when you can read the PA forums all day on your phone.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I too am a Cingular subscriber and I just upgraded my phone. I got the Samsung SGH-A707, also know as the Samsung Sync. I actually rather like it so far and suggest you check it out. the data transfer software for bluetooth is available on the Samsung website, its a good size and seems to have great reception. the quality of the earpiece doesn't seem fantastic to me, but the intelligibility is fine. I can easily sync my outlook contacts and calendar and it has 10,000 features I will likely never use (a goddamn 2 megapixel camera??). it supports tiny little micro SD memory cards, if you're into that sort of thing, and plays MP3s - but the only catch is you seem to need some kind of headphone adapter that it doesn't ship with (or bluetooth headphones. yuck!).

I just use it as a phone and an address book and it's quite nice. go to the store and play with one, remember: you have 30 days to return a phone if you buy it from Cingular. with my upgrade, the phone was only $50 after rebate (which was a $100 visa giftcard... kind of lame but functional enough).

kingmetal on
    edited January 2007
    Blaket wrote:
    I have the k800i. The only criticisms I have is that occasionally I'll push the camera cover down and chew up all the battery, if I don't do that it's good for three to four days. The other thing that bothers me though is that you can't manually put on the flash so unless you are in really good light or really bad light you can't have well lighted photos.

Plus James Bond uses my phone. James Bond.

I so noticed that James Bond uses Sony Ericssons.

I've been sorely tempted to get a smartphone or PDA just to browse PA during downtime at work, but I'd have to pay for my data plan so not going to happen.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a Razr with Verizon and if it weren't for the fact that Verizon is ass I'd be a lot happier with it. I've got no problems with the battery life, and I love that it's wide and thin- fits nicely in my pocket, and not so small that I can't hold on to the damn thing.

My girlfriend has a Razr from Cingular and I like it a lot better. Cingular's version of the Razr firmware sure beats the shit out of Verizon's crippled piece of shit.

zilo on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Stay away from motorola and LG, both are awful brands. Razr and Slvr are flimsy, slow, awful camera, awful gui. Choclate has the slowest GUI ive ever seen on a new phone and its annoying as hell, the low budget LGs are hella better than it.

If you're Cingular, there's plenty of good Samsung, Nokia and Sony phones available.

If you're TMobile I think you're stuck with Samsung(pick up the T809, its basically a D820).

If you're Verizon I think you've got one of the best samsung's(A990) and Nokia.

variant on
  • wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do Not get a treo 700 palm edition.

I loved my 600...but this thing sucks, the speaker's average, and it freezes for 10 - 20 seconds if you're doing something while exiting/entering an area of reception. It also freezes for upwards of a minute after sending text messages. I can't explain how unhappy i am with this phone.

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're looking at the Samsung D807, do yourself a favor and also look at the D600. They're going for a little more than you want on Ebay, but not much.

The D600 isn't as thin as the D807, but it's an infinitely better phone. My father carried one for a while and when I played with it (I was eying the Nokia 6270 at the time) I was surprised how light it was. The size is really unobtrusive considering the exceedingly low weight of the damn thing.

As far as the D807 goes, it's crap. I've played with a few of them... they're thin, yeah, but the sliding mechanism is terrible, normally resulting in excessive smudging on the screen.

If you want thin and quality, spend some more money on the D900. This is my father's current phone, and having spent a bit of time with it, it's phenomenal, and thinner than the D807, too.

Edit: a good tip for buying phones on Ebay is also, when you can, buy phones from Hong Kong. In Hong Kong, it's illegal to simlock your phones, meaning you'll never have to worry about whether it's unlocked or not. Also, most phones sold there come with a slew of accessories that you won't get for free in the US. Your typical phone in HK comes with a good quality first party headset and an extra battery. My father spends a lot of time there and won't buy his phones anywhere else... and he goes through a lot of phones a year.

Every phone in my house (except for mine) was a hand-me-down from my father... people are constantly asking my mom and sisters about their phones, because they're all so badass.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    blackberry.jpg

My job is not possible without one. However, I would loathe using one outside of work.

razr all the way. Also cingular pwnz.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    blackberry.jpg

If you travel a lot, have to check your email on the go, have to send email on the go, and pretty much do some hardcore business shit, then it it real nice. My dad has used his for 3 years now and I have heard him say that it is probably one of the best things his company could give him.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ronen wrote:
    As far as the D807 goes, it's crap. I've played with a few of them... they're thin, yeah, but the sliding mechanism is terrible, normally resulting in excessive smudging on the screen.

This is confusing. I'm have a D807 sitting next to me here at my desk. I've had it since July. I highly recommend it. The sliding mechanism is, in fact, smooth as butter. In fact it feels just about perfect. I don't think there are any more smudges on the screen as there are on any other cell phone.

Ohio on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm considering a blackberry for work, since I would have much use for reading emails, sending emails(so there's no way I'd get the non QWERTY pearl), reading email attachments etc. I'd most likely keep my current cellphone for any actual calling, since with my family's massive bulk minutes plan, I pay about $10 a month for my voice minutes(and one year left on contract). But anyways, as much as I like the idea of a Blackberry, I know I'd much rather have a touch screen with stylus than a scrollwheel for navigation, hence my temptation to get a Treo, I'm just not quite sure if the Treo's keypad is quite big enough.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, I think I've seen one provider with an unlimited data plan for as low as $30, but most others seemed to be $40 at the cheapest which is more than I think I'd want to pay for something that I technically don't need for work.

Edit: Gizmodo raves about the Cingular 8525, and it does look fantastic, but holy crap is it expensive.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ohio wrote:
    Ronen wrote:

This is confusing. I'm have a D807 sitting next to me here at my desk. I've had it since July. I highly recommend it. The sliding mechanism is, in fact, smooth as butter. In fact it feels just about perfect. I don't think there are any more smudges on the screen as there are on any other cell phone.

Perhaps, it's simply the ones I've handled, but the slide mechanism I've used haven't been as good as other Samsung sliders I've had my hands on. If yours is better, then good, I'm glad you like it because Samsung makes a great phone.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can also recommend that people stay away from Motorola, especially the RAZR. It looks cool and the thinness more than makes up for the additional width, but the interface is fucking slow. Think 386 slow. When I write SMS messages on mine, I can type two or three whole words before the fucking phone even catches up. Everything about the phone is slow and the interface looks horridly outdated at this point, especially when compared to newer phones with slick accelerated interfaces and actual 3D capabilities.

I've not had any problems with battery life, but then again I charge mine every night. If I leave bluetooth on, the thing is pretty much dead in about 1.5 days standby.

The camera sucks, it's only got, like, 5 megs of internal storage, if you have things in memory it only slows the phone down even more and bluetooth compatibility sucks. Sometimes I can't even connect to other phones and compatibility with my PC is spotty.

Next month I'm totally getting a Sony or an LG or something faster and more responsive.

Locust76 on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2007
    I have an HTC TyTN (Cingular 8525) which is a bit out of your price range, but it totally rocks the crap out of any phone i've ever had before.

http://i.expansys.it/i/b/b138236.jpg

@ Septus: TyTN/8525 has a touchscreen+stylus, great processor speed, full web browser, aim/yahoo/etc. IM clients, qwerty, you can hook it up to a laptop and use it as a modem, can get TV/YouTube etc. feeds from it, can hook it up via Slingbox, and can play PocketSNES/NES as well!

It's something to consider.

As far as data plans... If you ebay the phone and keep your old, regular phone on your plan, you can upgrade to cingular's MediaMAX plan for only 20 bucks a month. I did that and just swapped the sim from my (crappy) razr to the TyTN and havent had a problem. (MediaMAX also comes with a good amount of text/mms messages)

Unknown User on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i just picked up a Nokia 6133 through T-Mobile (the unlocked equivalent is the 6131) and i'm loving it. it's compact and light enough to be a "pocket" phone but robust and quick enough for good-quality phone calls, messaging, mp3 play, good quality camera use and internet browsing. it also has an expansion port for a microSD card, bluetooth capabilities, voice dialing, and "all the usual refinements", as Q would say.

it also has a neat feature where you can press a button on the side and the phone flips open. it's a total gimmick, but i never get tired of it :o

nokia6131.jpg (that's the 6131)

i had been with Cingular before, but their service (at least in Boston) is horrible, and their customer service i've found is even worse. dunno if you're on contract, but i would also recommend ditching for another provider.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • zero_bitzero_bit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love my w600i. I've had four or five cell phones in my day, and after having the T68i and T610 I now swear by Sony Ericsson products. They are just indestructible and solid, whereas a lot of other phones feel flimsy to me.

My only complaint with the w600i is it's a little bulky (too thick), but the new w300i looks great:

sony-ericsson-w300i-black.jpg

zero_bit on
  • Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    nokia6131.jpg (that's the 6131)

My fiancee has that exact phone. It's a real sleeper phone, since it's not very widely available here in Germany. Man was I impressed with that phone. Speedy interface and it does everything you'd expect a phone to do.

Locust76 on