Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The acne thread

2»

• MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2004
    snorepez wrote:
    well i just suggested the chlorine bit because my sister used to be on a swimteam, and was in the water all day and never had acne problems. But i guess that is due to the sun exposer, eh.

No, I'm pretty sure that it's the chlorine. I've noticed that when I get the opportunity to use pools a lot my skin completely clears up, regardless of sun.

• Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User
    edited April 2004
    I really don't see what the big deal is with seven-bladed-sharp-enough-to-cut-through-fucking-steel razors. I go to the drugstore and buy the cheapest pack I can find every week or so. I throw on the cream, I shave it off, and I'm done.

Maybe it'll be different once I actually get some resistance from my facial hair, but for now, I'm happy.

shadeodare_sig.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
  • MetagenkiMetagenki Registered User
    edited October 2004
    A quick recap, because I had to go over the thread a few times

1.) Wash / keep clean (excessive washing could make it worse, you don't want either too much oil or dryness)
    2.) Sunlight (or lamp, supplement)
    3.) Humidity / exercise / sweating / shower (clean pores)
    4.) Don't use electric razor (no problem myself, but I don't shave to the skin)
    5.) Swimming (chlorine, exercise, sun)
    6.) Don't stress (stress is generally unhealthy, overall - it can influence and maybe cause many problems)

7.) see a dermatologist
    8.) drugz (surely not a complete list)
      Benzamycin Topical Gel
      prescription for Brevoxyl
      Accutane
    The last one I consider a last resort, but your willingness to drug yourself may vary.

In a string of google searches stemming from a soap mentioned, I found this site:
    http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/cleansers.html
    I found it to be interesting, and very informative.

• BulimicGoatBulimicGoat Registered User
    edited December 2004
    I started getting bad acne around 8th grade. I went to the dermatologist and along with a prescription for Accutane, she gave me some tips to keep my skin healthy.

Short showers. Having your face under hot water for excessive periods of time is not a good thing unless you're actually washing. Hot water opens up the pores and if you're not washing your face they will just become clogged. My doctor reccommends 3-8 minute showers.

Moisturizing lotions. These will help greatly, especially during cold weather months. Do not skip out on this if you have acne. Look for specific lotions that are Non-Comedogenic, such as Cetaphil, Aveeno, and Neutrogena Some lotions even include SPF 15. While sun is good for the skin, do not go out unprotected.

Facewash. I was reccommended Dove sensitive skin bar. My dermatologist said that while some of the fancy stuff may work for smaller cases, all Ireally needed was a good bar of soap along with my medication. Which leads me to the big part.

Medication. I was given a prescription of Accutane for about 6 months beginning my sophomore year. I had heard some conflicting arguments about it's side effects and I was a little nervous. The only side effects I experienced were chapped lips (solved with chapstick), dry hands and cheeks (solved with lotion), and a little soreness in my lower back which lasted for the first two weeks. Of course the effects of medication vary from person to person, but I stand by Accutane 100%. It completely cleared up my face and the only trace of my previous horrible acne was a little bit of redness on my cheeks, which gradually left. About 4 months later, my acne slowly started coming back, but nowhere close to the amount I had before. I talked to my dermatologist and she said that it was normal for some people to go on a small maintenance dose of Accutane after their full treatment, which is where I am right now and it is working completely.

If anyone is considering accutane, which I highly reccommend, my dermatologist showed me a bunch of online journals of accutane takers. One of the most popular is this one:

http://jmhpr.tripod.com/accutanediary/

It is very informative and very personal. She posted pics every week to see the changes and they are very prevalent.

The main thing to do if you do have acne is to try and see a dermatologist. I hope this helped because the tips she gave really helped me.

Moss wrote:
    My gohst busters uniform is apparently a big durn on. I made ti with liek two women.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2005
    I´m 20 years old and my acne disappeard 3 years ago, i had acne since my early 13, Roacutan was a big helper because i was one of the unlucky guys that had Fulminating Acne complication, for those that never heard the term it´s the worst level of acne, very paynful actualy, so over the years I read all about acne so here´s a few pointers for all the brotherhood of acne :)

-Masturbation does NOT influence acne, the hormones yes but not the masturbation, what happens is that in adolescence our body produces great amounts of hormones so it causes an unbalance of inumerous organs including our skin, the skin then produces more sebum than she actualy need (the natural oil of our skin) causing the obstructing of the pores = Infected pores (zits);

-Fat food causes acne;you can eat chocolate but dont exaggerate, Mcdonalds is a mistake;

-Toothpaste is a mistake, you may feel some coolness on the zit but it may damage your skin;

-ALWAYS have a good higiene, thats half the way to controlling acne, buy a normal soap and before going to bed and in the morning always clean your face, the chest and backs with the soap, then take a normal shower;

-Everyone that i know to used Clearasil (including me) doesnt have any betters with the acne, when the first zits appear in your face use tradicional products (like the soap) and go see an dermatologist;

-Last tip: Eat one natural yogurt per day, this will help to control the levels of sebum in your skin;

-BulimicGoat has a good topic on the side effects of medication and simple solutions for those probs;

Sorry for the bad english, hope i´ve helped some of you guys with this prob, and I also have a question:

- It´s true that Roacutan is banned in the USA?

• Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User
    edited April 2005
    what is this sun you speak of so freely?

/sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I use Rezamid. I may be spelling that wrong, but that is how it sounds when you say it. It is prescription, so you will need a doctor to get it. It isnt clear, it's tan when applied. Apparently, people like that. I dont. I put it on while I am sleeping and then wash it off in the morning.

http://www.sumlab.com/shop/acne/rezamid.asp

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • SnorkSnork Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Here's the best way to shave, IMO:

1. Do not buy an electric razor.

2. Never use one.

Seriously. Electric razors are the worst thing you can use, unless you're like Scandinavian and have to shave once a week, as some of my friends do.
    Being half Italian, I do not have this convinience I have to shave every day, sometimes twice a day.

Electric razors do not give you a close shave at all. They also really contribute to in-grown hairs, although I'm not sure how. All I know is that I regret using one.

Also, go slow. Very slowly.

That stuff about 'against the grain' doesn't really hold much water with me, because if I didn't shave against the grain I would look like a teenaged version of Colawars (read: this is an exaggeration) by the end of the week.

Also, do not underestimate the awesomeness of the Mach 3.
    You really need to keep up about replacing the blades though. My dad (who has a full beard/moustache thing) is really lax about it, as he only uses it for trimming, so it's getting kind of iffy and I've had to resort to the plastic throwaway things because I don't know where the hell you get the replacement Mach 3 blades.

Seriously, does anyone know?

• BABOOBABOO Registered User
    edited January 2006
    I think the shaving thing is a key in the overall scheme of things. I noticed if I shave (using a Mach 3 and Gillete shaving GEL for Sensitive Skin) bi-daily, it helps.

• riotslugriotslug Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Ok, tips from my doc:

-Warm towel on the face for 10min before going to bed (open up pores)
    -Eat lots of carrots (vitamin E)

Also, I sleep facing down, with my face on the pillow, and once for a few days I slept on the same side of my face and ended up with acne on that side but none on the other. Also, after wearing a scarf for a while I started getting acne on my neck (not there before). So, avoid skin irritation.

chk chk BLAUW BLAUW
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I'm gonna chime in with the excercise. I notice in the times I stopped excercising and gaining weight my skin breaks out with acne. When I'm back to a regular excercise plan i very rarely have any acne.

XBOX Live Tag: Solsovly
  • The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User
    edited June 2006
    I saw someone in the last page that said humidity DOESN'T help, and I have to say that's a load of bull.

The higher humidity tends to help because it keeps your skin from getting overly dry and worn, that's the reason for the acne of people on vacation in humid areas getting better.

For example: I live in Arizona, where it's super dry. I went to Indiana and Ohio during the end of winter, and what problems I had instantly cleared up. And I was under A LOT of stress because I was auditioning on violin for colleges.

Also, the sun can help acne, but only in small amounts, after the 15 minutes Bonedaddy suggested, it's just harmful. It can cause any acne to turn into scars, so you have to be careful about that sort of stuff.

Basically, make sure you wash your face in the morning with some sort of cleanser combination scrub. Something I found works great (now my skin is very nice, if I do say so myself, and I've had problem skin for quite a while) is Aveeno's Positively Radiant Daily Facial Pads--they have a textured side that gets all of the nasty dead skin cells off, and then a smooth side that helps just get everything nice and smooth. It also contains soy extract which really does wonders for your skin.

Then put some sort of moisturizer on that has at least SPF 15 in it (that doesn't block out ALL of the sun, so you'll still get the benefits you have before), and then some sort of medicated ointment (Clearasil w/ 10% Benzoyl peroxide works well).

Then at night don't forget to wash your face again. If your skin is senstive, make sure to try and get something that fits that (I use Aveeno's Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser). And put on moisturizer and medication again before you go to bed.

Also, if you wanna throw a toner in there, something to try that really helps and evens out your skin tone is Burt's Bees Rose Water Skin Toner (or even their Tomato Toner, which was specially made for acne prone people, but I think the Rose works well, and smells good).

Yeah, it's a lot to do, but it works.

If you don't want to go through all of that (which really isn't all that much when you get down to it), try to make sure you drink PLENTY of water every day! Water helps flush out all the bad stuff your body can accumilate throughout the day, and it keeps you moisturized form the inside out.

Also, be waery of soap bars (except Dove), because that can actually help clog pores (not all of the soap is washed out, and then after you pat your skin dry, there's a residue left that collects in your pores), thus producing more acne.

Oh, and it's not the fat in the foods that gives you acne, it's all of the preservatives and shit that's in them, and the fact that most of the stuff American's eat today is grossly over-processed.. Go ahead and eat chocolate!!!

• ThundarThundar Registered User
    edited August 2006
    I used to have really, really bad acne. Like many many very big zits. It fucking sucked. I was really self conscious and pretty much depressed. My dermatologist at first put me on differin and azelex. Both of those were HELL. They irritated the fuck out of my skin and definitely made my acne worse.

So I basically went back and said "get me a different dermatologist", and they did, and the new guy prescribed me Duac in the morning and Retin-A at night to get rid of scars/dark spots I had from previous acne. Duac and Retin-A are freaking amazing. There was a big difference after the very first day.

The only problem is that they both have diminishing effectiveness to a point, however the point you get to, at least for me, is more than good enough. I am still on these two prescriptions and I now have zero (0) acne and scars/dark spots are basically all gone. I'd say they're both worth a try.

Edit: I should also note that my acne was to a point where the second dermatolgist said "If this doesn't work for you, we'll probably have to start accutane". I'm quite thankful that it worked.

Hello.
  • warlinwarlin Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Has anyeone tried this? http://acneyoda.com

I'm willing to try, but I smell hoax....

Ragnar+Iceblood.png
  • Boot2TheHeadBoot2TheHead Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I've done Accutane twice. I'm 35 and I still get acne on a regular basis. I got it under control by going to http://acne.org/ and following Dan's advice. I got nothing free for saying that ;) His stuff is very inexpensive if you ask me. A month of Basis soap and benzo cream will run you about $12. You don't have to buy his stuff, there's tips on the site for finding 2.5% benzo cream (although it's not easy, and 10% benzo cream is too harsh for sensitive skin, which will just make the whole thing worse).

Benzoyl perox 2.5% and Accutane are, in my opinion, the only things that really work on acne. The daily benzo regimen will just f-in wreck any acne causing bacteria in your skin. You need to get that bacteria population under control. You'll never get rid of it ;)

I think that Accutane has some niggling long term side effects (permanently dry mucus membranes, which means more colds) but my doctor tells me I'm wrong.

UV is harmful! Ever heard of skin cancer? UV screws up DNA as it's replicating, which happens all the time. Happens enough and bang! melanoma.

Also UV is bad for your collagen, therefore too much UV means early wrinkles.

As for shaving: always always always shave in the shower after you've washed your hair or you've been in there for a few minutes. It helps immensely. I never ever get razor burn. Using a good quality razor matters too. I use Sensors; they are 3 times the cost but last 6 times as long as a crappy disposable. I think electric shavers are really hard on your skin (um, it's a hot piece of metal).

• zerocountzerocount Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    While I found it brutally hard to overcome the hype (read: bad infomercials) about Proactiv, I use it exclusively now.

My acne used to be awful, but a bout of accutane did wonders (with no permanent side-effects). However, it didn't get rid of it entirely. I put up with mid- to low-grade acne for years and years, and finally a female friend at work suggested I try it (it worked well for her). As I said above, I use it daily as directed, and it has been really helpful.

It is pretty damn expensive, but I have done well by it.

• crakecrake Registered User
    edited May 2007
    Wonder if it was the sea water that did it? Or perhaps the hotel pool? My acne always clears up whenever I go for a few dunks in a pool. Dries everything out - chlorine does wonders. This maybe goes against the theory that humidity does the trick? Ultimately, I think it proves that different cures work for different people.

• KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm taking this Doxycycline or something.. it had 56 pills in it total, down to 6 after today, and I haven't noticed too much of a difference.. most of my acne is either on my shoulders/upper back or under the skin on my face, on my cheeks. I get a few normal zits (very small ones on my forehead.. more like.. skin bumps or something), and some around my temples or on my ear lobes.

I've also got this little dabber thing that I've been using twice a day (morning and night) to put stuff on my face.. they've both helped a little bit, but not as much as I was expecting.. is it worth getting the prescription extended or something and seeing if it clears up entirely, or ask for something stronger?

Also, when you get some medicine that tells you "May take with food to lessen chance of stomach upset.", you better damn well chow down on a bunch of food. I had amazingly bad stomach pains for two days because I didn't have enough to eat or I took it with something acidic (apples, anyone?), so now I take my pill with either a banana or three pieces of plain, white toast.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So anyone got good methods of getting rid of blackheads? They dominate my nose.

X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • juiciferjuicifer Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I have had some issues with acne over the years as well, not too bad, but definitely an issue. No over the counter product has ever worked for me, including proactiv. The only thing that worked was benzomyacin (spelling?). I liked this product because it doesn't make your skin worse before it gets better and isn't as harsh as most other products.

Now here's something I haven't read on here that did really help me out. It may not work for really severe acne, but who knows your mileage may vary.

There's a product called oceanic clay. It's a mask and it's a little pricey, but worked really well for me, not just clearing up acne, but also making my skin look a lot better, even during outbreaks. Here's how to use it, or any mask for that matter.

1. you need to steam your face for about 10min. A sauna is ideal, but not quite easily accessible for most. You can use a pot of hot steaming water (not boiling genius.) with a towel over your head. This opens up the pores and the sweat help draw out the toxins in your skin.

2. apply the mask, follow directions, don't leave it on for too long it won't work any better, but will dry out your skin if you do so.

Do this twice a week for the first 2-3 months, then you should only have to do twice a month afterward. This may make your skin a little worse a first. It really helps to draw out the toxins and bacteria to the surface of the skin. This can also help make topical solutions more effective as it gets right to all the bacteria.

Do not use any other acne medication for the first 2-3month period, this will really dry out your skin and you'll be sorry. After that, the only prescription medication I would use would be the benzamyacin and only once a day, not twice.

Hope that helps someone out. oh yea, just google the oceanic clay, I can't remember the actual name of it.

• DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I also approve the use of Proactiv. It has pretty much changed my life. I used to have pretty bad acne for years and years. Decided to try it in Februrary and it is now July and my skin has never been clearer.

parabol
    nin_new2.gif
2»
This discussion has been closed.