As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding tenants to rent rooms?

4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Recently the girlfriend and I have gotten a house pretty much given to us to use by her mom. Lucky, I know!

We have taken the more undesirable suite downstairs and are looking to rent out our renovated upstairs on a room by room basis for students/whoever else. We aren't renting out the whole suite because one of her friends is going to live up there in a room.

The rooms are competitively priced, the place is renovated, new and comfortable, the rooms aren't too small, they're furnished already and we are located right near a bus stop. We live in Calgary, Canada which has 3 big post-secondary schools, but we aren't in a central location or that close to them so chances are we're renting to people with their own transportation.

The problem is that we aren't finding tenants. We've posted on kijiji, craigslist, facebook marketplace, word of mouth so far.. do I have any other free options? Advertising in the papers is costly and we're poor students (hence we're given this place to use/rent).

We really can't afford to pay the bills by ourselves and pretty much need the rental revenue and we're stressing about this.. :(

Thanks for any help, guys.. and if you know anyone who needs to rent a furnished room for $500/mth flat in Calgary, please let me know.

4rch3nemy on

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Recently the girlfriend and I have gotten a house pretty much given to us to use by her mom. Lucky, I know!

We have taken the more undesirable suite downstairs and are looking to rent out our renovated upstairs on a room by room basis for students/whoever else. We aren't renting out the whole suite because one of her friends is going to live up there in a room.

The rooms are competitively priced, the place is renovated, new and comfortable, the rooms aren't too small, they're furnished already and we are located right near a bus stop. We live in Calgary, Canada which has 3 big post-secondary schools, but we aren't in a central location or that close to them so chances are we're renting to people with their own transportation.

The problem is that we aren't finding tenants. We've posted on kijiji, craigslist, facebook marketplace, word of mouth so far.. do I have any other free options? Advertising in the papers is costly and we're poor students (hence we're given this place to use/rent).

We really can't afford to pay the bills by ourselves and pretty much need the rental revenue and we're stressing about this.. :(

Thanks for any help, guys.. and if you know anyone who needs to rent a furnished room for $500/mth flat in Calgary, please let me know.
    Take a look at the Universities again. Being on the bus route may mean you're close enough for most students, as they pay a premium to be "close" to campus anyway.

Contact the housing departments of the institutions to find out what options you have for listing on their pages. As well, since you're students yourselves, check out any web-based services you have as students. At the U of S, there is PAWS, which is how students register and track their classes, access online library services, etc. There's also a Marketplace section where you can post ads. Lots of people post rooms for rent there.

Get out to the institutions yourselves and post physical posters in common areas. It's cheap and effective.

Spread the word to your friends and family to spread it to their friends and family that you have these rooms to rent.

[Edit]
    Check around and make sure you're pricing competitively for the Calgary market. It being furnished helps, but it may not be worth the premium you think, and you may have priced yourself out of the market. I don't know, though, as I have no idea of the Calgary rental market.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Like LaOs said, check the university websites. I know UofA (in Edm) has a student housing search page. It could be under the official student housing part or the student society part of the website.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    also call up the international student department. if you are willing to take more short term renters, they are always looking for places for their students.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you want students, call up Residential Life as one of the purposes of that office is to house students. They usually have listings and postings available for student rentals.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

What part of the city?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NW - Macewan
    Right off of Country Hills Blvd and 14th St.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Make sure that your homeowner's insurance covers theft of personal property in rooms that tenants can access; most policies do not come with this coverage.

If you do not have this coverage in your policy, endorse (amend / upgrade) your policy to include this coverage.

Otherwise, your insurance will not cover most of your property in the event of burglary.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.